As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm going to bake a regular round loaf and also try a loaf in my loaf pan I got for christmas

no loafing about for me!

I will undoubtedly be listening to 'Icky Mettle' by Archers of Loaf while I do this

loaf

Xaquin on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    In my years as a cook the one thing I have figured out is that I'm terrible at bread.
    I can make flatbreads and I can make dark&nutty syrup&soured cream bread. That's it.

You can do it! The KAF recipe for crusty bread in particular is explained very straightforwardly. :D

sarukun wrote: »
    I wanna bake but I’m working all day Saturday so not certain I can set aside enough time for it.

All but the KAF baguette recipe include a fridge proof--in particular I think the KAF crusty bread says you can comfortably proof the dough for up to seven days safely. Then all you have to do on Saturday (or whenever you want the bread) is shape, do the final rise, and bake! (You could probably shape before fridging and then go straight from fridge to oven, too)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Hey just wanted to give a huge thanks to @SilverWind for not only updating the op, but for also linking to all of our submissions! in alphabetical order no less!

Thank you!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizr6LR83Kk&t=232s

The Jim Lahey no-knead bread is the first one in the video, and is the first boule I ever made. Do note that Babish says, at one point, "as hot as your oven can go" for that, but temp your oven first. My oven at my old place went up to 680, which is way too fuckin' hot. I'd keep it down to about 550-575 for this. Over time I started making adjustments to the recipe itself and started to really like 250g of bread flour and 150g of whole wheat flour, but I really like the taste of whole wheat.

Also, for those of you with slightly more money than time and/or sense, for boule baking, check out these guys! 500 of them lasts a fuckin' lifetime.

Xaquin wrote: »
    Hey just wanted to give a huge thanks to SilverWind for not only updating the op, but for also linking to all of our submissions! in alphabetical order no less!

Thank you!

No problem! I have a love of excessive documenting so I figured it would come in handy here and/or establish that community feeling :lol:

Also whoooooa Pinfeldorf I'm so envious of how high your oven goes! Mine can only be set to 500 F... and actually does only get that high

signature.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The only upgrade I would make to my kitchen is to buy a hotter oven. 500 just isn't hot enough for pizza.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I don't have a baking stone, or a cast-iron skillet, or a dutch oven so I will be making my bread on a plain baking sheet or in a bread pan. I am not experienced with baking bread but I'm looking forward to trying.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am excited to try to make bread for the first time this week!

I will likely skip Bouillabaisse week because I have bad memories of, I think it was Cioppino, that my grandmother use to make during lent that just...stunk so so bad.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I am excited to try to make bread for the first time this week!

I will likely skip Bouillabaisse week because I have bad memories of, I think it was Cioppino, that my grandmother use to make during lent that just...stunk so so bad.

I'd recommend "smelling around" your local food store the next week (because fennel can be triggering if you have particular memories about that kind of food). While I can totally understand not liking the smell of mussles/clams a bouillabaisse on shrimp and frozen fish (frozen fish is totally fine for a bouillabaisse imho) tends to be rather light on the odor. Just a bit of fennel and a very slight seafood aroma.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    In my years as a cook the one thing I have figured out is that I'm terrible at bread.
    I can make flatbreads and I can make dark&nutty syrup&soured cream bread. That's it.

You can do it! The KAF recipe for crusty bread in particular is explained very straightforwardly. :D

sarukun wrote: »
    I wanna bake but I’m working all day Saturday so not certain I can set aside enough time for it.

All but the KAF baguette recipe include a fridge proof--in particular I think the KAF crusty bread says you can comfortably proof the dough for up to seven days safely. Then all you have to do on Saturday (or whenever you want the bread) is shape, do the final rise, and bake! (You could probably shape before fridging and then go straight from fridge to oven, too)

Maybe I’ll get this done on Friday or Thursday then. We’ll see. A nice crusty bread would be good to have when I do steaks sometime in the next few days for Valentine’s Day.

Taya wrote: »
    I don't have a baking stone, or a cast-iron skillet, or a dutch oven so I will be making my bread on a plain baking sheet or in a bread pan. I am not experienced with baking bread but I'm looking forward to trying.

Try focaccia! It's basically just pizza crust in a cookie sheet. It might be the drop-dead simplest bread to make as long as you don't overwork it and develop too much gluten. Make yourself some marinara sauce on the side or just a simple garlic and olive oil mixture and you're set for a night in carbohydrate heaven!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    We made the beef burgundy and it was amazing. Used the instapot recipe, threw some potatoes in there, a chopped up onion, mushrooms, carrots, etc.

igeo4wiicv97.png

This is actually day after leftovers because I was too busy consuming it the day before to get a good picture. We got some sourdough to mop it up and oh my lord we will be making this more often.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Like many stews beef burgundy only gets better as leftovers.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    I'm still aiming for a Saturday bake, which is a tad ambitious for the sourdough baguettes. Adjusting the approximate schedule, I think it'll be

Levain Fri @ 3:00:00 PM (Wyborn will help with this step)
    Autolyse 5:15:00 PM
    Mix 6:15:00 PM
    Warm Bulk 6:30:00 PM
    Cold Bulk 8:15:00 PM
    Divide and Preshape Sat @ 3:30:00 PM
    Shape 4:00:00 PM
    Proof 4:30:00 PM
    Preheat Oven 5:15:00 PM
    Bake 6:15:00 PM

signature.png
    oh yeah, I need to get going on my bread

I'm just doing a round loaf and a regular loaf though

Yeah this will be my first bread. I'm a little scared. I might try the baguette?

I recommend watching a video on baguette shaping--KAF has a good one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDL3lPQSkc

I think the key thing with bread baking is to keep on trying, as the key skills are developed over time (and recipes are based on judging the state of the dough rather than having firm times and amounts). We can all share our first attempts together :lol:

signature.png
    bread is currently proofing

I started reading the sourdough chapter in the Bread Bible to see if I wanted to use any of her recipes. Based on what I read there, it has become clear that my starter is definitely dead.

Looks like after some initial signs of life, I ruthlessly poisoned it to death with the chloramine in my tap water. The good news is that my filter pitcher should be able to get rid of it, so I'll be able to try again without using bottled water.

In any case, I'll be making bread this week using my regular, non-soured dough as usual.

Rest in peace, Cabinet Goo. You were my only friend.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So if I put together my starter tonight, can I bake tomorrow afternoon?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oooh, I am back in it for the baguettes

I really want to make a proper jambon beurre, maybe I'll cook a ham this weekend too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fm3lNM5vV4

edited February 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I started reading the sourdough chapter in the Bread Bible to see if I wanted to use any of her recipes. Based on what I read there, it has become clear that my starter is definitely dead.

Looks like after some initial signs of life, I ruthlessly poisoned it to death with the chloramine in my tap water. The good news is that my filter pitcher should be able to get rid of it, so I'll be able to try again without using bottled water.

In any case, I'll be making bread this week using my regular, non-soured dough as usual.

Rest in peace, Cabinet Goo. You were my only friend.

If I remember right, around day 4 it kinda flatlines/slows down for a few days--you may want to keep it kicking around to see if it picks up

After it stabilizes I think tap water is fairly safe to use, and many people do (though I imagine this varies from location to location as chlorine levels vary). Though chlorine also just leaves water naturally in ~24(?) hours and I always just leave a pitcher lying out for feeding purposes. I think it leaves fairly fast if you microwave the water too, though then you'd have to wait for it to cool a bit

Doodmann wrote: »
    So if I put together my starter tonight, can I bake tomorrow afternoon?

If you just started a new sourdough starter, it would be too young, more likely than not. It needs about 5-7 days to get nice and healthy and get into a regular cycle of rising and falling

(I'm by no means a sourdough expert but I'm fairly sure on both of these things)

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Oh I'm just going to do the king arthur's flower and use an active yeast.

I like to ART
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Bread huh? You have my attention now

Doodmann wrote: »
    Oh I'm just going to do the king arthur's flower and use an active yeast.

Ah! In that case, the timing should work out <3

signature.png
    Gave my new loaf pan a go

I really need to start making a loaf of bread every week

samihkykupau.jpg

idsp4oym73ga.jpg

9sva1le0b1zt.jpg

absolutely delicious

Oh I love the color on that. What kind of bread is it?

it's actually just unbleached king Arthur flour with a quarter cup of dock seed flour added in

it's a unique taste and I love it. sadly, when I say unique, I mean I've never tasted anything like it to compare it to

maybe a slight pumpernickel taste?

I'm sad because I'm all out of dock seed flour and that stuff is a pain in the butt to forage

Xaquin wrote: »
    it's actually just unbleached king Arthur flour with a quarter cup of dock seed flour added in

it's a unique taste and I love it. sadly, when I say unique, I mean I've never tasted anything like it to compare it to

maybe a slight pumpernickel taste?

I'm sad because I'm all out of dock seed flour and that stuff is a pain in the butt to forage

Go to, like, Boston or something, and find a dock. During the springtime, the seals will eat the flowers it produces and their scat will contain the dock seeds. You don't want to harvest the dock flowers yourself, it helps to have them pass through the acidity of the seal's stomach.

that's ....

all yours!

sgzy7mp246gh.png

Is bread. Not very crusty, and not at all sour, but it toasts up real nice.

Also, I ran out of side dishes before I ran out of boof birbiglia, so I'm going to have the last of it tonight on a couple of slices of griddle toast. Definitely the fanciest SOS I have ever prepared.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I wasn't sure about bread. We don't eat much of it and I hate wasting things right now.

But then I remembered that I had a small batch baking cookbook!

So I'm attempting a country loaf for 2 people.

Yeast is proofing at the moment. Or blooming. Or something.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    OK so That was a completely different way of making bread than I have ever done. and I didn't take photos.

1.25 tsps active yeast
    1/2 cup lukewarm water
    3/4 tsp salt
    3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp bread flour plus extra for dusting work surface

bloom the yeast in the warm water for 5 minutes (i added a pinch of sugar because I didn't trust that it would bloom without sugar).
    Mix in the flour with a spatula and then cover and let rise for 1 hour
    Stir down the bizarre sponge looking thing in your bowl, then cover and let rise 1 hour
    sprinkle 3-4 tbsp of flour on the work surface, pour out this bizarre sponge thing from the bowl onto the flour and then work in the flour on the work surface, adding more if needed.
    put flour on a baking tray and then put your ball shaped dough onto the floured tray, cover with plastic wrap and let rise another hour.
    Preheat oven to 375*F

According to the recipe, I was meant to spritz the oven with water, bake for 5 minutes, and then spritz the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

However, I dont' have a spray bottle, so I just put a cake pan of water and heated that up with the bread and baked it for 25 minutes

It came out soft and chewy and dense but still airy with bubbles and between mom, me, and the 4 year old, we ate almost the whole loaf. Just enough left over for breakfast toast with nutella.

Very good, would easily try this again and I think I'm going to have to take a much closer look at this small batch baking cookbook again.

4CcR5ZC.jpg
    Z6QTxKf.jpg

Bread was a success. It was hard to wrangle the wet dough and my knife wasn’t sharp enough to score the top properly but the recipe was easy enough that I think I can make it better next time.

Ooh, pretty! Which recipe did you use, Taya?

signature.png
    Other than some casual 2nd degree burns this went way better than I expected. I could do this again real easy, I am starting to doubt if no kneed sour dough is worth the week long process.

NW6e01wl.jpg

Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/7exwYdw

I like to ART
    Great job! Sorry about your hand. The picture showing the bread in the foreground and your hand in cool water in the background is funny though.

So fancy, Doodman! <3

If you were in Toronto I'd happily send some of Betty over to you. :P I suppose I could look into drying some out too? It apparently works

I'm nearly about to start the divide and preshape stage of the sourdough baguettes. Still trying to figure out what to eat with it / how to eat it. Perhaps I should send Wyborn on a cheese run...

signature.png