As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Combine Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom into Sword Lord, the different skins are the different characters. Give Ike a Hector skin so we get an axe lord at least in appearance.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You know who else thinks there's too goddamn many Fire Emblem swordsmen in Smash? Masahiro Sakurai.
    As posted by Ryokutya2089, a column in Japanese magazine Famitsu saw Sakurai discuss the current situation with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s character roster. “I know it as well. There are too many Fire Emblem characters,” he said. “And too many swordsmen. But when something’s decided, I move ahead with it.”

Byleth was Nintendo's call.

I mean yeah, it was p obvious of that from how phoned in the reveal trailer was. That whole direct had a demand-from-corporate uncanny valley effect to it.

Which made it all the more confusing when people were like "sakurai loves FE so much, that's why byleth got in!" Made me wonder if we were even watching the same thing.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah. There are two main issues at play with the Fire Emblem characters: the four "Sword Lords" being a waste of space, and the "promo pick" nature of Corrin and Byleth rubbing some people the wrong way. (If you take their movesets and paste them on to a series staple I think it'd seem better, even if there's no practical difference.) I don't think anyone would complain about too many Fire Emblem characters if we had:

Marth/Lucina
    Ike
    Robin
    Tiki
    Anna

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    You know who else thinks there's too goddamn many Fire Emblem swordsmen in Smash? Masahiro Sakurai.
    As posted by Ryokutya2089, a column in Japanese magazine Famitsu saw Sakurai discuss the current situation with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s character roster. “I know it as well. There are too many Fire Emblem characters,” he said. “And too many swordsmen. But when something’s decided, I move ahead with it.”

Byleth was Nintendo's call.

I mean yeah, it was p obvious of that from how phoned in the reveal trailer was. That whole direct had a demand-from-corporate uncanny valley effect to it.

Watch made it all the more confusing when people were like "sakurai loves FE so much, that's why byleth got in!" Made me wonder if we were even watching the same thing.

I wouldn't say it was phoned in -- he still dove deep into Fire Emblem game and lore explanations. It's just that he didn't completely fanboy out like he did with Terry. (And that counting trick digression was hilarious.)

And honestly, even if he was disinterested or annoyed it's obvious he gave it his all to make the character distinct and interesting.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    And we stil got a thing Ive wanted to see from FE for a while. As much as I was excited to see Robin using magic.

My FE roster for Smash would probably be Marth (Echo Lucina), Ike (Echo Chrom), Robin, Byleth, Tiki (taking ideas from Corrin).

I know, that’s 4 Awakening characters if you count the echoes and Tiki, but...

Enlong on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I for one would be okay with nothing but FE characters if they removed Hero's bullshit crit and thwack as a tradeoff.

You don't even need to kill off Hero, but remove his ability to one shot someone at 0% entirely, or kill with a fast up smash at 20.

Byleth was one of the more creative characters they added for the DLC, tbh. Forced or not.

jungleroomx on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Man. So I'm playing Byleth a bit and how do you hit a ZSS. I can never predict her because she can just alter the trajectory of her jumps whenever she wants, and even trying to grab or attack out of shield rarely hits because she bounces off a lot.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man. So I'm playing Byleth a bit and how do you hit a ZSS. I can never predict her because she can just alter the trajectory of her jumps whenever she wants, and even trying to grab or attack out of shield rarely hits because she bounces off a lot.

Special move whiffs, mostly. They have redonkulous endlag.

Also, uh, use Byleth's tilts a lot more. Every time my ZSS gets hemmed up by a Byleth it's due to good use of tilts and punishing my whiffed side/up specials.

ZSS is top 10 in every single movement category (Air, ground, dash, dash start, etc), and she's the only character that can claim that. You sure ain't gonna outmaneuver her.

jungleroomx on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Also, uh, use Byleth's tilts a lot more. Every time my ZSS gets hemmed up by a Byleth it's due to good use of tilts and punishing my whiffed side/up specials.

ZSS is top 10 in every single movement category (Air, ground, dash, dash start, etc), and she's the only character that can claim that. You sure ain't gonna outmaneuver her.

Huh, I'd have figured someone else could claim that, but wow. Chozo super soldier programs get results.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

I don't really know how to really punish her specials, honestly. Like, down B hits shield and she bounces out of reach, side B has enough range that unless I managed to dodge by running rather than a dodge, I feel I can only really punish with side smash, which does not seem to get her before her shield is back up. I may just be slow.

And I do try! The utilt in particular. Dtilt didn't seem as useful because it not like she fucking lands or anything.

Either way, this dude kicked my ass from 6.1M all the way back to 4.5M GSP, so time to climb back up I guess.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

I don't really know how to really punish her specials, honestly. Like, down B hits shield and she bounces out of reach, side B has enough range that unless I managed to dodge by running rather than a dodge, I feel I can only really punish with side smash, which does not seem to get her before her shield is back up. I may just be slow.

And I do try! The utilt in particular. Dtilt didn't seem as useful because it not like she fucking lands or anything.

Either way, this dude kicked my ass from 6.1M all the way back to 4.5M GSP, so time to climb back up I guess.

If you're trying to punish out of shield any grounded move (aside from up B) is always gonna be risky. Have you tried to get them by jumping out of shield and hitting them with a fair or bair? And if it's too awkward to line that up, aerial side b might work.

And ideally you jump over ZSS side b instead of shield it, because then you have all the time in the world to line up a punish. That might even be a good time to go for Byleth's dair.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

If you're trying to punish out of shield any grounded move (aside from up B) is always gonna be risky. Have you tried to get them by jumping out of shield and hitting them with a fair or bair? And if it's too awkward to line that up, aerial side b might work.

And ideally you jump over ZSS side b instead of shield it, because then you have all the time in the world to line up a punish. That might even be a good time to go for Byleth's dair.

Yeah, I'm just real bad at landing the Dair with the platforms on the way. I always either hit too early and whiff, or hit too late and get the attack interrupted by landing. I'll just have to keep trying until I get used to the timing.

edited February 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

Huh, I'd have figured someone else could claim that, but wow. Chozo super soldier programs get results.

Dash, Air, Run, and Roll all top 10. Greninja, Fox, and Captain Falcon are 3/4.

Fall/Gravity are top 20, I think, but with down B it really doesn't matter.

jungleroomx on

Yeah, I'm just real bad at landing the Dair with the platforms on the way. I always either hit too early and whiff, or hit too late and get the attack interrupted by landing. I'll just have to keep trying until I get used to the timing.

Oh yeah platforms in this game are the devil. Battlefield is nearly unplayable for me because I always struggle to drop through them on command.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

Try pressing Jump/Smash while pressing down at the same time out of shield. I want to say that works out to be a perfect amount of time for Byleth's dair to connect.

I love down XA with a lot of characters, never see it get used.

Try pressing Jump/Smash while pressing down at the same time out of shield. I want to say that works out to be a perfect amount of time for Byleth's dair to connect.

I love down XA with a lot of characters, never see it get used.

I toss out short hop dair oos with DDD occasionally. Not really because it's good, but rather because all his oos options are bad and at least that one can kill when it does work. And lets you drift a little to cover them overshooting/undershooting a bit.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Dead in 5 hits to a Hero at the work lunch tourney.

Then went on to 0-20% someone with thwack twice in the same match.

I fucking despise him. If I quit this game, he'll be the reason.

jungleroomx on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Sometimes it's easy to forget about it, but this game has about 60 hours of music; almost 1200 songs. I've been sitting here listening to the whole soundtrack all week at work and I'm still not done.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Who wants to see an incineroar get up b'd like seven times in one match?

https://youtu.be/4-PVN4rqkdA

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Who wants to see an incineroar get up b'd like seven times in one match?

https://youtu.be/4-PVN4rqkdA

*incineroar charges smash for 1 second too long*

"It was at this moment he knew he fucked up."

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    You know, for all the joking around about Mai Shiranui being too sexy for smash bros, I never saw one Right Said Fred reference. Come on internet, the meme was staring you in the face.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They added a Warframe spirit to Smash Ultimate

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    ...Excalibur for Smash?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    They added a Warframe spirit to Smash Ultimate

lmfao

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    god her enhancement/upgrade is gonna be a big spoiler lmao

Crippl3 wrote: »

...she gets even warframier?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Big late story spoilers here
    573.jpg
    She's not a Tenno like you, she's actually a being called a Sentient, a race of terraforming/mining beings that gained sentience after being infected by The Void aka some Event Horizon shit, who warred with the Tenno and their creators thousands of years ago
    and now they're back and she's defected from being your mission handler to being in charge of them

Crippl3 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well, spoiler if you play Warframe extensively, I guess.

As someone who doesn't, that picture means nothing to me.

It's kind of like posting a picture of Darth Vader without his helmet. Oh god, his true identity has been spoiled! It's... some old man...?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

Big late story spoilers here
    573.jpg
    She's not a Tenno like you, she's actually a being called a Sentient, a race of terraforming/mining beings that gained sentience after being infected by The Void aka some Event Horizon shit, who warred with the Tenno and their creators thousands of years ago
    and now they're back and she's defected from being your mission handler to being in charge of them

...yep, I was correct.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hey, has there even been word on whether we'll be getting the missing Mii Fighter costume bits from Smash Four as DLC?

I started a project to make all fighters using all the full character costumes (except the weird fursuit ones like Yoshi, Fox, or Knuckles) while trying to avoid exact duplicate movesets for them, and it got me thinking. In addition to Geno's costume, there were some nice generic costumes that haven't been included yet (especially missing the mii's favorite-color influenced plate armor, or the musketeer hat which lent itself to a reasonable facsimile of a Red Mage from old school Final Fantasy). Lastly, I miss the red Smash Hoodie.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, has there even been word on whether we'll be getting the missing Mii Fighter costume bits from Smash Four as DLC?

I started a project to make all fighters using all the full character costumes (except the weird fursuit ones like Yoshi, Fox, or Knuckles) while trying to avoid exact duplicate movesets for them, and it got me thinking. In addition to Geno's costume, there were some nice generic costumes that haven't been included yet (especially missing the mii's favorite-color influenced plate armor, or the musketeer hat which lent itself to a reasonable facsimile of a Red Mage from old school Final Fantasy). Lastly, I miss the red Smash Hoodie.

None at all. I suspect they're spreading out the third-party stuff to make sure every company gets some love, but there's zero guarantee we'll get all the Smash 4 stuff. Would be nice, though.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Snake, Samus, and Fox are doing battle.
    Snake pulls a grenade and throws it.
    Samus launches a charge shot. Fox reflects it and fires back with his blaster.
    The fighting proceeds apace, all fighters involved seeming to favor guns and explosives.
    The announcer can be heard counting down:
    Five...
    Four...
    Three..!
    Two...!
    One!

Time?
    It is really that... time, Dr. Freeman? Time for your acc-omplishments to be... rec-ognized? Oh no, not in your... ostensible area of ex-pertise, but rather, as an... en-ter-tainer. Your presence might seem a... strange inclusion to this crowd, but the wrong man in the right place can make all the diff-erence in, the world. Now... wake up, Dr. Freeman. Wake up and... smell the smaaaaaashesssss...

Gordon Freeman

Uses a crowbar as a sort of mid-range sword character. The HEV Suit's bulk makes him slower than most fighters, but he has good weight and several of his attacks are armored. Wooden barrels and crates break instantly when struck by his crowbar attacks.

B Moves:
    Neutral B: Crossbow - A fairly standard bow-type attack, launching a fast-moving, damaging projectile with a slight downward arc.
    Side B: Rocket Launcher - After shooting out a rocket, hold down B to control Gordon's aim. A laser sight is projected outward, and the rocket will home on on whatever the laser sight strikes.
    Up B: Gauss Gun - A chargeable downward shot with the Gauss Gun. The recoil launches Gordon upwards. The shot can be angled to change his trajectory.
    Down B: Snark - Throws out a small bug-like alien that repeatedly attacks the nearest character (Gordon himself included) for trivial damage (1-3%) before exploding several seconds later.

Final Smash: Bugbait - Throws a pheropod at the opponent. If it strikes, Antlions fly in from offscreen and attack continuously before an Antlion Guard charges into punt the victim into space.
    I replayed Half-Life 2 recently and the "Time" thing occurred to me first; when I came up with the "smell the smashes" line I knew I was obligated to share it. I'm sorry.

EDIT: Somehow I managed to write this draft, and proofread this draft, and completely forget, both times, to mention that, yeah, obviously he's got a tether-grab using the Gravity Gun.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited March 2020
    Alright here's an Eevee fighter kit that I've been brewing on for a while.

So, y'all know Eevee's deal, seven evolutions and all that jazz. But the Eevee that gets into smash is no ordinary Eevee, nosiree. This is a special Eevee that can involve into ANY of the Eeveelutions at will, and even de-evolve back into a plain ol' Eevee! How does it do so, you ask? Why, by cycling through a menu of evolution stones in a manner similar to Pacman's neutral B. You'll always transform into the form of the stone the move ends on, whether you press B again, roll/shield/jump out of it, or get hit. And using it will always start with the stone of the form you currently are in, unlike Pacman always needing to go from the start of the list.

The differences between each form take the most obvious effect in three areas: Down B, which is different for each form; Side B, which is always a projectile but the specifics vary; and down smash, which operates similar to Pikachu's down smash but has an added effect based on the form. Additionally the basic properties for each mon can be different; speed, weight, damage, fallspeed, etc.

Specials
    • Up B - Quick Attack - It's just Pikachu's quick attack.
    • Side B - [Some Projectile] - Changes based on the form.
    • Neutral B - Stone Swap - as referenced above.
    • Down B - Entirely changes based on the form.
    Smashes
    • Up Smash - Flail - Wildly swing out above you. Comes out quick, is a multihit, and scales strongly with rage but locks you in place enough to be punished.
    • Side Smash - Double Edge - Charge forward, dealing a ton of damage and knockback at the price of eating of Flare Blitz's worth of damage if you connect (including on shield).
    • Down Smash - Spin around in place. A multihit with an added effect depending on the form.

All the form details will be tucked into this here spoiler. It's a lot.
    Everstone - Eevee - Obviously the lightest and floatiest of the bunch, and the second-fastest behind Jolteon. Is particularly weak in the air, but all their "normals" (jab and tilts) are at their strongest in this form--because, you know, it has Normal-type STAB (and adaptability!).
    • Side B - Charm - Spawn a few slow-moving but long-lasting hearts that deal a small amount of damage and lower the damage output of anyone hit by them for a bit.
    • Down B - Either Rest (straight from Puff) or Baton Pass (switch to a random form and get a small all-stats buff for a bit, plus momentary invuln like PT's switch).
    • Down Smash - Higher knockback.
    Water Stone - Vaporeon - The heaviest and slowest form (except in water on casual stages). Gets more range out of 'sliding' moves like dash attack, dash grab, and pivot grab. Turns into a puddle while dashing like Inkling.
    • Side B - Bubble - Similar to Charm, but lowers their speed instead.
    • Down B - Acid Armor - Like Incineroar's counter, but instead of increasing the damage of your next attack it greatly reduces the damage of the next attack you take (over a certain threshold).
    • Down Smash - Whirlpool - Plays through the animation faster and has much less endlag (again, sliding).
    Thunder Stone - Jolteon - The fastest and highest jumper, the next-lightest, and a fastfaller. Gets a few combos the others don't have because of the extra speed.
    • Side B - Thunder jolt.
    • Down B - Thunder.
    • Down Smash - Sends at a much lower angle.
    Fire Stone - Flareon - Heavy and floaty, a la DDD. Does a bit more damage across the board and is a little slower.
    • Side B - Vulpix's Ember, which is somewhere between Ness' PK Fire and Arcfire.
    • Down B - Lava Plume - A smaller version of what Entei does. A bit like Ivysaur's bullet seed but not bad and KOs.
    • Down Smash - Fire Spin - Has a taller hitbox and lasts longer.
    Dawn Stone - Espeon - A little light and a little quick. Gets the little 'magic bubbles' (ie Ness and Zelda) on most of their attacks to have more range and a bit of a disjoint.
    • Side B - Future Sight - A moment after you use it, a 'hunk of psychic energy' (actual in-game description) is launched at high speed from where you casted it. It's like a relatively large craggy pink ball.
    • Down B - Trick Room - Mario's cape but in a small area on both sides.
    • Down Smash - Reaches further horizontally. Sends straight vertically and is very DI-resistant.
    Dusk Stone - Umbreon - Physically takes less damage a-la Bowser Jr's cart. Medium-heavy weight, same speed as Flareon, and does a little less knockback across the board but gets a few combos because of it.
    • Side B - Dark Pulse - A small, quick energy blast with a lot of hitstun and shield damage.
    • Down B - Night Shade - Projects your silhouette around you, doing a little damage. A fast "get off me" option. Hitbox mostly covers above you. Or possibly Foul Play, a Mii Brawler-esque counter that scales very hard off the blocked attack's power.
    • Down Smash - Leaves a DoT similar to Eigen.
    Leaf Stone - Leafeon - Medium-heavy, medium-fast, and moves come out a little faster (especially in the air).
    • Side B - Razor Leaf from Ivysaur.
    • Down B - Seed Bomb - Akin to Samus' Down B, but less spammable and much stronger.
    • Down Smash - Leaf Blade - Comes out notably faster and can crit.
    Ice Stone - Glaceon - A little heavy and average speed. Most attacks leave a frosty trail, giving them a weaker lingering hitbox.
    • Side B - Ice Shard - Fires a shard of ice that doesn't go far but is very fast. Spawns frame 2.
    • Down B - Avalanche - Charge to spawn two snowballs on either side and make them bigger; release to drop them like Villager's bowling ball.
    • Down Smash - Blizzard - Looks like Abomasnow's effect. At lower %s freezes like G&W's 8, at higher %s like PK Freeze.
    Whipped Dream - Sylveon - A little heavy, a little slow. Has the magic bubbles for range & disjoint.
    • Side B - Draining Kiss - Fires out a few hearts (that move faster than Charm's) that deal a good amount of damage and lifesteal.
    • Down B - Hyper Voice - Takes in a deep breath, then releases a powerful explosion of sound.
    • Down Smash - Reaches further horizontally and lifesteals a bit.

And, of course, the final smash is the special Eevee z-move into Octuple Finish.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Espeon should cause debuff effects to bounce back to the user, obviously.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited March 2020
    Probably not a surprise, but in Sakurai's latest column he said the coronavirus is going to delay the new fighters. He can't make a visit to another publisher to present what they've done and get approval, for example. He also doesn't want to make an announcement and then not be able to develop it. It's also got some details on how the pandemic is affecting development in general.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-on-how-coronavirus-covid-19-has-imp-1842408222

cloudeagle on
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'm looking for silver linings wherever I can find them these days, but I hope this delay gives Sakurai the opportunity to rest he so sorely needs so he can come back in full force once the world stops being sideways.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was kind of unceremoniously announced that the first character of Fighter Pack #2 will be an ARMS character and release in June.

No other details. I guess it will be multiple characters as recolors because they’d otherwise tell us like when Joker was announced early.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kind of lame but not unexpected, Arms probably should have had a character earlier to match the launch of the game.

Side note, Arms is free to play to NSO subs til the 6th of April.

I wouldn't be surprised if they originally intended for a third-party character to be the first one, but since the coronavirus is slowing down collaboration/approval with third parties (as Sakurai said in Famitsu) they decided to go with a further out character they didn't need approval for. Especially since there isn't a reveal video yet.