As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm 6'5". If someone reclines their seat it's going directly into my legs and I will either put my knee into it as hard as I can to make it uncomfortable for them or start bouncing my knee and the reclined seat with it until they go back up.

Have you considered asking them to move the seat back with your words?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I actually don't mind kids on planes. Like, in the moment, yes, the crying and the screaming and the kicking is annoying. But they're probably MORE annoying to the parent, and sometimes people have to fly and kids are kids. There's not a real solution to that.

Reclining means you have decided that your marginal increase in comfort is more important than making me miserable for the entire flight.

Yeah, I have infinite patience for kids, particularly infants who literally have no recourse other than crying. I think most people feel the same, or if not then they are at least mature enough to keep it to themselves.

Reclining your airplane seat is an interesting case study in misplaced conflict. The real problem is that the airline gives you so little free space that the person in front of you reclining their seat literally 3 inches causes you a massive amount of discomfort. Which then begs the question of why they allow the seats to recline in the first place.

It's like when fans get angry over how much a player gets paid because they are running the team over the salary cap and "hurting the team". Meanwhile, the billionaire owner is sitting over there twirling his thumbs because the imposition of an entirely-artificial accounting limit has managed to transform his cheapness into someone else's greed.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I remember when coach had enough leg space it was possible to pass in front of your neighbors without them getting up if you were small.

Modern day business class is basically what coach used to be! Back then, the 3 inches was an inconvenience to the person who wanted to go to the bathroom without forcing everyone to get up, not an intrusion into their personal space the way it is now.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I actually don't mind kids on planes. Like, in the moment, yes, the crying and the screaming and the kicking is annoying. But they're probably MORE annoying to the parent, and sometimes people have to fly and kids are kids. There's not a real solution to that.

Reclining means you have decided that your marginal increase in comfort is more important than making me miserable for the entire flight.
    Honestly I think he had a legitimate complaint and she was being a jerk. He also shouldn’t have hit the chair. The flight attendant giving him a drink and asking her to be courteous is what I’d want to happen if I was on the flight, but maybe not the most professional outcome.

I don’t recline my seat, ever* because it doesn’t seem to make it any more comfortable, but I’m not a big guy. Kids bothered me on flights until I had one and realized how horrible the experience must be for the parents. Now I try to help if I can**

* except that one time it was broken and wouldn’t stay up (any weight on it and it flopped back). The person behind me was understanding, but the flight attendant was rather obnoxious with me about it.

“Sir? You have to bring your seat back upright.”
    “It’s broken.”
    “Sir - it’s required that you bring the seat upright, we’re descending.”
    “It’s broken and won’t stay up.”
    “Just push the button sir.”
    “It doesn’t do anything.” <demonstrates>
    “Sir...”
    <lady behind me pushes it up while I’m leaning forward>
    “Thank you. Sir.” <rolls eyes and walks down the aisle>
    I spent the next 20 minutes hunched over and feeling wronged while the folks around me had a good laugh. Fun conversation on the way to baggage claim though.
    ** 25 Action News headlines: Local man removed from flight because he spoke to a child. “He tried to make eye contact with my dear sweet angel!” says terrified parent.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, it was a memorable first date, if for all the wrong reasons:
    And you thought your worst first date story was bad.

A Massachusetts woman became an unexpected getaway driver after a man she met on a dating app robbed a bank on their first date.
    Christopher Castillo, the unnamed woman's would-be Robin Hood, plead guilty this week to armed robbery and three counts of assault and battery on a police officer — all committed on their first date on December 5, 2016 — according to the Bristol County District Attorney's Office.
    Castillo was sentenced to three years in state prison for the robbery, plus two years in the Bristol County House of Corrections for violently struggling against and spitting on police who tried to subdue him, according to the district attorney's office.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Well, it was a memorable first date, if for all the wrong reasons:
    And you thought your worst first date story was bad.

A Massachusetts woman became an unexpected getaway driver after a man she met on a dating app robbed a bank on their first date.
    Christopher Castillo, the unnamed woman's would-be Robin Hood, plead guilty this week to armed robbery and three counts of assault and battery on a police officer — all committed on their first date on December 5, 2016 — according to the Bristol County District Attorney's Office.
    Castillo was sentenced to three years in state prison for the robbery, plus two years in the Bristol County House of Corrections for violently struggling against and spitting on police who tried to subdue him, according to the district attorney's office.

Probably should note the gone right: They didn't charge her with anything. Which given how fucked up justice gets in this country is almost a surprise.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PA town is escalating conflict - with a flock of Canadian geese:
    In a power move that would make Leslie Knope blush, the great minds of small government attempted to repel the invasion with "fake coyotes", local telly news channel WFMZ-TV reports. You can imagine how that went. Have they even watched Jurassic Park?

"The coyotes were completely ineffective," Dan McKinney, director of parks and recreation, told a township meeting on Monday. "Geese were landing on them."

Now they're rolling out the big guns: real coyotes. Well, real dogs. Because if there's something winged in your neighbourhood, who you gonna call? Geese Police!

Palmer Township has top men poring over a contract to bring in a handler and two trained pooches to evict the flying hellbastards daily from March into June at a cost of $300 a week.

"The dogs have a certain look that the geese understand," McKinney said. "They're not playing around."

This will not end well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    *read in dramatic voice*
    Now...the Live Action movie based on....Untitled Goose Game

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ok but reclining your seat on the airplane is an act of evil and malice

I have never been on a flight where everyone didn't just recline their seat as a matter of course and we all just moved on with our lives. Not unlike the bus or the train.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I have never been on a flight where everyone didn't just recline their seat as a matter of course and we all just moved on with our lives. Not unlike the bus or the train.

I... didn't even realize it was actually considered such a negative thing to do. I am much more comfortable reclined, the people in front of me often do it and I've never noticed a difference. I'm not 6+ feet tall though, so that could be the issue.

Now I know :) . I can check the height of the person behind me next time :D

That said, anyone who doesn't just ask if it's causing discomfort is the actual problem in these situations.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I fly 2-4 times a week on average and I'm not at all a tiny person. If you want to recline your seat, recline your seat. If it's a genuine problem for somebody, there's nothing keeping them from politely asking you not to do it.

But it's your seat and your ticket and there's no law of flying, spoken or unspoken, that forbids people from reclining their seats. Deal with it.

Now, the situation of who gets which seat gets which armrests? That's a whole different matter.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I guarantee it’s a problem for somebody. They’re just too polite to say anything.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Now, the situation of who gets which seat gets which armrests? That's a whole different matter.

Window and aisle each get their outer edge, Middle gets two internal.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Window and aisle each get their outer edge, Middle gets two internal.

THIS IS THE WAY.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I suspect newer airplanes will be built without the ability to recline economy class seats. There's not enough room, it gets people tense, and it provides a strong argument to upgrade to economy plus.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm 6'5". If someone reclines their seat it's going directly into my legs and I will either put my knee into it as hard as I can to make it uncomfortable for them or start bouncing my knee and the reclined seat with it until they go back up.

Have you considered asking them to move the seat back with your words?

The last time I did that they pushed it back even further by putting all their weight on it. In fact every time I've asked someone in public to stop doing a thing of detriment to others has resulted in them doing it harder or outright lambasting me for daring to say anything to them. Now I just get passive aggressive. They can either stop and we'll all be fine or they can keep going and we'll both be miserable.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Almost 6'2. Anything above about 10 degrees of recline will make sure that my knees have to be in an extremely uncomfortable position which will end up with me having hip and knee pain.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I don't understand how reclining the seat adds any comfort to anyone, I can barely even notice the difference in tilt. However, on the receiving end, holy shit that is painful, because i am Not Short. If I don't have the aisle seat (and thus dangle my legs in the aisle), on many airlines my knees will be digging into the seat back even in the fully upright position.

Anyone want to dig up links to the product that you fit on the back of the seat in front of you, to prevent it from reclining? And then the links to the news stories about people getting in fights over those?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I guarantee it’s a problem for somebody. They’re just too polite to say anything.

If it's a genuinely uncomfortable situation for them and they can't be bothered to politely assert that to someone else, then too bad

I barely have room in coach class and I've been annoyed by a reclined seat approximately zero times. There's nothing stopping me from reclining my seat if I so choose, if I really feel the need for a little more space. It's their seat, they paid for it, and getting mad at them for using the reclining function of their chair is like getting mad at them for using their reading light or air conditioner nozzle. Traveling in a shared space means adjusting comfort zones, it's not up to other passengers to give up their paid-for (and slim) comforts because someone else thinks a reclining chair is some kind of intrusion.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Last trans-Atlantic flight I took the seats were tight enough that reclining meant that the seat back in front of me got close enough to get into my personal comfort space zone. No actual physical discomfort, though it did render a good chunk of the seat back tray unusable due to lack of clearance, but it was very much in the ‘I’m not touching you!’ space that was unpleasant. Not enough to make me start punching things, but enough to make me think about it. Freaking cattle cars.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Almost 6'2. Anything above about 10 degrees of recline will make sure that my knees have to be in an extremely uncomfortable position which will end up with me having hip and knee pain.

This.

Or I guess you can have a philosophical victory and control your space. Your call.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

If it's a genuinely uncomfortable situation for them and they can't be bothered to politely assert that to someone else, then too bad

I barely have room in coach class and I've been annoyed by a reclined seat approximately zero times. There's nothing stopping me from reclining my seat if I so choose, if I really feel the need for a little more space. It's their seat, they paid for it, and getting mad at them for using the reclining function of their chair is like getting mad at them for using their reading light or air conditioner nozzle. Traveling in a shared space means adjusting comfort zones, it's not up to other passengers to give up their paid-for (and slim) comforts because someone else thinks a reclining chair is some kind of intrusion.

EDITS: Whoops, double post.

Annoyed? No, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. When someone reclines their seat on me they are not annoying me, they are physically injuring me because I can't maneuver anywhere else. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be mad at someone who is actively harming me for a tiny amount of extra comfort.

• Options

Annoyed? No, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. When someone reclines their seat on me they are not annoying me, they are physically injuring me because I can't maneuver anywhere else. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be mad at someone who is actively harming me for a tiny amount of extra comfort.

Sure. Let me know and I won't do it. Start punching the back of my seat and I'll turn on some music and enjoy the free massage :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

You don't consider having your knees crushed by the seat in front of you an intrusion? You obviously have short legs, great, but just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem for others.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

This is very much the opposite of my experience. The large majority of flights I’ve been on the person in front of me doesn’t recline. Those times they do, it’s not a big deal because I’m not tall. The only time I’ve asked someone to stop reclining was briefly when I couldn’t get to my carry on because I was in the window seat and the guy in the middle was both sleeping and large (felt bad for him, and also impressed since I can’t sleep on a plane)

I’ve also never been part of an argument (well with a passenger anyway) about a seat, nor have I witnessed one in person.

I think just being courteous to those around you would cover it, but with how airlines are trying to make things painful to sell upgrades everyone is on edge the whole time.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    If you are literally injured by the person in front of you reclining their seat, you should probably be seeking extra accommodation from the airlines like obese people have.

Maybe you could be moved to a emergency exit row that is slightly larger, or another one of the aisles that is right behind business class that is also slightly roomier, or perhaps pay to upgrade your fare.

For armrests I have always had the opinion that the aisle seat should have both of theirs, and other seats get the armrest away from the aisle. But that mostly has to do with the fact that utilizing the aisle armrest is going to leave you with a bruise from the drink carts.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also in the same vein with all the “service” animals now on flights, how long before airlines start offering pet free flights

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I don't understand how reclining the seat adds any comfort to anyone, I can barely even notice the difference in tilt. However, on the receiving end, holy shit that is painful, because i am Not Short. If I don't have the aisle seat (and thus dangle my legs in the aisle), on many airlines my knees will be digging into the seat back even in the fully upright position.

It depends on the plane and flight. Not all planes setups are as cramped as others in Coach and on longer flights like coast to coast in the US or international flights, even a small difference can make a difference especially if it's sleepy time on the latter. Not as much as a difference as not having someone behind you in physical pain, but a difference.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Also in the same vein with all the “service” animals now on flights, how long before airlines start offering pet free flights

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen an animal in a flight.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Legally they can't.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

However long it takes to completely bind and gag their legal department. They would basically be requesting to get sued for ADA non-compliance if it included service animals. If it doesn't, then what's the point?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

However long it takes to completely bind and gag their legal department. They would basically be requesting to get sued for ADA non-compliance if it included service animals. If it doesn't, then what's the point?

Some have started restricting therapy/emotional support animals which are a different, er, animal legally speaking and not covered by the ADA or similar acts. There are some psychological service animals that actually are trained to do a task like sense an impending anxiety attack or provide reminders to take medication but those are classed as service animals.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

I have several times, and anecdotally it’s more common the last few years. Never seen it cause a problem, but that might just be because the animals in question (all dogs) were well behaved.

Though I’m starting to get the feeling I’m just oblivious and everyone else is a seething ball of barely contained rage.

Also, I’ve got maybe 2” of clearance between my knees and the seat back if I don’t have my legs angled. I’m 5’8” so I can see how someone taller but not “tall” could be up against the seat. I’m also part of the problem as I often pay for more legroom on longer flights... (it’s working guys! Make the rows tighter and see if we get more upgrades!)

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Legally they can't.

Strikes me as a conundrum since one could argue that severe pet allergies (like really sneeze your brains about and need an inhaler to not die) are also a disability (or at least a medical condition) similar to the various issues that require a service animal.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    maraji wrote: »

I have several times, and anecdotally it’s more common the last few years. Never seen it cause a problem, but that might just be because the animals in question (all dogs) were well behaved.

Though I’m starting to get the feeling I’m just oblivious and everyone else is a seething ball of barely contained rage.

Also, I’ve got maybe 2” of clearance between my knees and the seat back if I don’t have my legs angled. I’m 5’8” so I can see how someone taller but not “tall” could be up against the seat. I’m also part of the problem as I often pay for more legroom on longer flights... (it’s working guys! Make the rows tighter and see if we get more upgrades!)

Service animals are required to be under the control of a handler outside of cases where they perform a task for a human while off the leash. This includes not barking their heads off unless something weird is going on. The issues have been more with emotional support animals which have no such requirements and no such legal protection or people buying fake papers declaring their untrained pet as a service animal and letting them be unruly.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Someone does something that annoys me or causes me discomfort, i am not going to say anything about it.
    Because i am fucking terrified of talking to people face to face.
    Also, in lot of cultures, people are conditioned to not raise a fuss.
    Never been to a plane, probably never will be (or in a buss with reclining seats), so can't say anything on that front, but any argument that starts with "well they can just say something" is not as good as we might hope.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Legally they can't.

Strikes me as a conundrum since one could argue that severe pet allergies (like really sneeze your brains about and need an inhaler to not die) are also a disability (or at least a medical condition) similar to the various issues that require a service animal.

In such a case I imagine most air lines would try to arrange to seat such a person away from the dog once it was brought to the staff's attention. They're still the ones responsible for cleaning off dander from the plane too.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If you are literally injured by the person in front of you reclining their seat, you should probably be seeking extra accommodation from the airlines like obese people have.

Maybe you could be moved to a emergency exit row that is slightly larger, or another one of the aisles that is right behind business class that is also slightly roomier, or perhaps pay to upgrade your fare.

For armrests I have always had the opinion that the aisle seat should have both of theirs, and other seats get the armrest away from the aisle. But that mostly has to do with the fact that utilizing the aisle armrest is going to leave you with a bruise from the drink carts.

Exit row seats and bulkhead seats cost more (on most airlines I've been on lately). I don't think it should be legal to price discriminate against tall people.

Fry on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Legally they can't.

If they're that bad off they would have the same reaction just from the animal owners being present. The fur and dander gets all over you when you have pets. I've been to clients homes and had them immediately start sneezing because I have pets at home.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Never seen a bird?

:biggrin:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.