As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm sure it's harmless, but maybe you could explain what that somewhat-worrying hyperlink leads to?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It’s an app that is basically a fake social media service where you are the only human and a million bots follow you

Seems... like it could lead to some unhealthy behaviors? But maybe there’s more to it than just that.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Oh yeah sorry. It's an app that's a fake social network, you post things and the bots that live in the app like and respond in convincing but also sometimes insane ways.

Peen on
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That sound like something that is extremely Not For Me.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'd be interested if all the followers were hot anime boys and demons or something.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Is there a dark mode for the android gmail app buried somewhere or is it just blindingly white all the time forever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is there a dark mode for the android gmail app buried somewhere or is it just blindingly white all the time forever

You can set your Gmail theme to light, dark or system default

That is found under the general settings tab

At least on the mobile droid version on my Pixel 3a

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Must be tied to newer android versions, maybe. I can't find the option.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

Thank you

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Dark mode Gmail is still Android 10 only unless that's changed sometime in the last three months. My 5T isn't slated to get that until maybe this Summer. Everything else I run in dark mode so I switched to Edison Mail. I've been really happy with it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Hmm. Nothing under general settings like that in gmail on my galaxy S8. Weird.
    Cormac wrote: »
    Dark mode Gmail is still Android 10 only unless that's changed sometime in the last three months. My 5T isn't slated to get that until maybe this Summer. Everything else I run in dark mode so I switched to Edison Mail. I've been really happy with it.

Oh that's probably why, I'm on 9 still.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So I never had a problem with my win 10 and I swapped it aged ago and the install was years old

Anyways I needed a reinstall and they removed the ability to view your lisence key and I had no idea where mine was but you can reinstall from inside win 10 cool!

Except now I have to sign into my computer with a fucking pin or my windows password I can turn it off and it's very obviously the computer is always online with the windows account and it actually pisses me off I want my default user back not my fucking windows account being the admin it's a personal computer I don't want sign ins! They don't even work if I turn them off because it's signing into the fucking windows account to use my computer

This is the shit that will make me pirate your products windows fuck off, also guess I can run wireshark for run and see what extra bandwidth their using with this development

Sorry this just pisses me off I liked win 10 until it did what ever the fuck this shit is

icGJy2C.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    You can absolutely turn that off, though I'd have to look up how to do it again. Google should have instructions.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I disabled password/PIN/etc on my home box. It's not as easy as it should be, but it isn't hard.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yeah I figured I could but why even have the sign in screen settings if I have to CMD prompt it or do a reg edit

It's dumb!!!!

What I should say is it's infuriating how much modifications you have to make to modern consumer products to remove all the bullshit useless invasive internet of technology shit that tech bros love and companies love cause it's free advertisement data

I don't even use Google voice on my phone and I swear the thing activates on brands and buzzwords it's fucking disgusting for future advertisements

bloat wares always been around been its gotten so next level i hate it

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I figured I could but why even have the sign in screen settings if I have to CMD prompt it or do a reg edit

It's dumb!!!!

What I should say is it's infuriating how much modifications you have to make to modern consumer products to remove all the bullshit useless invasive internet of technology shit that tech bros love and companies love cause it's free advertisement data

I don't even use Google voice on my phone and I swear the thing activates on brands and buzzwords it's fucking disgusting for future advertisements

bloat wares always been around been its gotten so next level i hate it

This is just a cognitive bias combined with their reasonably good advertising algorithms. You notice because you were talking about it, and you were talking about it because you fit into <demographic profile> that would be talking about that thing.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    For folks in similar situations in the future: you can choose in the process of the installation to not use an online Microsoft account. That is the default, but there’s an option to select for local account only when you get to that section. I forget the exact wording right now.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Boot a Linux CD and edit the SAM hive with an admin account.

f the man my dawgs

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    You can still make a local account the admin account and not use a microsoft account.

I thought it was somewhere at the bottom, in the writing explaining the account, some words are a clickable link or something.

I actually did it, but then I went back to using my microsoft account. I liked having some of the apps already logged in and carrying over my data.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The one thing I dislike is that if you do new account setup with an online account, Windows will create a user directory that's truncated from your MS account's name, and it's stupid and nasty as fuck.

The protip is to create a local, offline user, and then attach an online account if you want.

This message brought to you by the Society of Minor OCD Tenancies.

Zxerol on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I cauterized the part of my brain that demands neat file directories ever since I learned that every game I install can keep their My Games folder wherever the hell they want.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I cauterized the part of my brain that demands neat file directories ever since I learned that every game I install can keep their My Games folder wherever the hell they want.

I dunno why they even ask where I want to install the things anymore, they're just going to apportion other directories on whatever drive they feel like to store gb worth of saves and replay clips I don't want.

Installers should come with a checkbox: "I was born between 1980 and 1995 and when I say 'F:\dumbullshitlol\' I good damn mean it"

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

I dunno why they even ask where I want to install the things anymore, they're just going to apportion other directories on whatever drive they feel like to store gb worth of saves and replay clips I don't want.

Installers should come with a checkbox: "I was born between 1980 and 1995 and when I say 'F:\dumbullshitlol\' I good damn mean it"

You'll have to take that one up with Microsoft. They decided user data should be separate from program data.

Personally I think user data going in the user folder is good, but game developers also need to stop making folders in My Documents named after game titles or companies. I can go to %appdata% if I really need to back up something.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My personal data directory is really beautiful.

When I archive things I basically do:

NEW FOLDER: Current year
    Inside new folder: everything! Including the folder called previous year
    inside previous year folder: everything! including the folder called previous previous year

And on and on we go

I figure I might as well try and use the 2 TB of HDD space I have somehow

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's like a new form of evil...in the form of matryoshka directories

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    That's like a new form of evil...in the form of matryoshka directories

Funny thing is that my dropbox (which I access regularly at home on different computers and at school) is very clean and well organized. Same thing with my 64GB thumb drive that acts as a back-up for the dropbox.

There's a reason I format my HDD every couple of years I suppose

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Wonder where the host will end up.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Depends on if they lower a rope into the pit where they keep the hosts, I suppose.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    If you're asking about Scott, he left a while back:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/12/hq-trivia-new-host/

it was fallout from the attempted mutiny against the HQ trivia CEO and his subsequent purge of dissident employees

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/14/trivia-game-of-thrones/

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I wanted to like the trivia stuff but the spiels and stupid patter between questions to pad the length of rounds pushed me away.

If things had been closer to 5 minutes I would probably would have stuck with it and thrown some money at it. It was definitely far longer for the 12 questions than 5 minutes though and the schtick from the hosts just grated on me the whole time.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am helping an Old (my father) set up a new iPhone and it’s like pulling out your own nose hair but less fun

“It says go to ‘settings’ and turn off ‘find my iPhone’. What does that mean”
    “It means go to settings and turn off find my iPhone.”
    “Now it wants my Apple ID and password!”
    “Do you know those things?”
    “Yes!”
    “Then ... type them in?”

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It’s that last one that gets me
    Pushes it over the edge from “not completely thought through” into “an actively malicious user experience”

The gig economy is in dire need of some civil disobedience

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Just rent a normal car.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Just rent a normal car.

This was probably cheaper

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Living in the future was a mistake

This discussion has been closed.