As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow is the last day at our current office.
    The company has grown in the year and some change that I've been here.
    We're moving out a little ways, to a place with better parking but less walkable restaurants.
    It was interesting to watch the office go from 6 people to 15 in that time.
    Gonna go to the lunch place a coworker and I often visited. A little existential, knowing that that's the last time I'll go there for lunch.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Technically today is my Monday, but I was sick for the past three days, and also tomorrow's friday and it's a three-day weekend coming up.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Technically today is my Monday, but I was sick for the past three days, and also tomorrow's friday and it's a three-day weekend coming up.

It'scomplicateddax

El Skid on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm at the ER with my wife because some shit's been going down with her. Told my boss that depending on how long we're here I may not be in tomorrow. "I'll look over the schedule right now and move client's around so the people we have can get the jobs done. You just let me know when you find out more."

Seriously, glad my boss is awesome.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hope your wife is okay shadow

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    (That awesome is for the boss, not for the wife's condition. I hope your wife feels better soon!)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I live in an uncertain world filled with sorrow and chaos, language is one of the few constants that remain. Don't destroy it. Please.

If you look to language of all things for consistency and reliability you will literally go insane

(the former English major emerges from his cave, hair wild, eyes blinking in the sunlight, prepositions dangling)

it's true! all true! FLY! SAVE YOURSELVES!

("would of" is not a valid construction, damn you all to hell!)

Me: Languages change and definitions are driven by popular usage not the other way around. You can't like, own, words maaan.

Also Me: They're, there, and their are different, literally is the opposite of figuratively and I will die on this hill!

I've never minded literally being used to mean figuratively because it's just hyperbole and words have been used as their own opposite forever, but stuff like "they're there their" and "would of" tend to bother me because they can introduce confusion when the whole point of language is to clearly convey meaning. I'm as descriptivist as they get and I would never be that guy to correct someone who wasn't asking for writing help, but those specific things will always bother me no matter how "right" they come to be.

The one totally meaningless hill I will die on is that it should be spelled y'all and not ya'll - you're removing the extra sound from "you", not the first part of "all"!

Oh, and it also bugs me unnecessarily when people spell 'til as if it's a contraction of until. It's till, and till is older than until dagnabbit! I have a feeling this is thanks to print marketing - somehow 'til looks "better" than till, sort of like how you use the drive-thru, not the drive-through.

It's not just that literally has become a contranym, but it's because of the meaning of the word. Because unlike other contranyms like cleave and sanction, literally is a word about meaning. It means that something is true, so making it also mean false is a bridge too far for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My workplace, which is technically a regional healthcare system, also has a health insurance company under it's umbrella

Which seems unethical

Lately, in the daily email news bulletin, we're being encouraged to get everyone we know to sign up for this insurance program

We're being encouraged by actual cash prizes

This seems super gross and probably illegal, right?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna take a big old guess and say "Definitely should be, probably isn't."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    achievement unlocked: take a shit and a meeting at the same time

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I live in an uncertain world filled with sorrow and chaos, language is one of the few constants that remain. Don't destroy it. Please.

If you look to language of all things for consistency and reliability you will literally go insane

(the former English major emerges from his cave, hair wild, eyes blinking in the sunlight, prepositions dangling)

Me: Languages change and definitions are driven by popular usage not the other way around. You can't like, own, words maaan.

Also Me: They're, there, and their are different, literally is the opposite of figuratively and I will die on this hill!

I've never minded literally being used to mean figuratively because it's just hyperbole and words have been used as their own opposite forever, but stuff like "they're there their" and "would of" tend to bother me because they can introduce confusion when the whole point of language is to clearly convey meaning. I'm as descriptivist as they get and I would never be that guy to correct someone who wasn't asking for writing help, but those specific things will always bother me no matter how "right" they come to be.

The one totally meaningless hill I will die on is that it should be spelled y'all and not ya'll - you're removing the extra sound from "you", not the first part of "all"!

Oh, and it also bugs me unnecessarily when people spell 'til as if it's a contraction of until. It's till, and till is older than until dagnabbit! I have a feeling this is thanks to print marketing - somehow 'til looks "better" than till, sort of like how you use the drive-thru, not the drive-through.

It's not just that literally has become a contranym, but it's because of the meaning of the word. Because unlike other contranyms like cleave and sanction, literally is a word about meaning. It means that something is true, so making it also mean false is a bridge too far for me.

I totally get that. But at the same time it's pretty much always clear when it's being used each way, so as long as the intent is clear it doesn't really bother me.

• Options

I totally get that. But at the same time it's pretty much always clear when it's being used each way, so as long as the intent is clear it doesn't really bother me.

It's too meta, even for me as general fan of that kind of thing.

Now, let's talk about prefixes becoming standalone adjectives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My current language complaint is people using "the tea" as a stand-in for general complaints about something.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I finally got a call graded, only getting 4 this month instead of 5 since I was gone the first week of the month. I got a 2 out of 3 and 3 out of 3 which is good but ruins my 3 month record of perfect scores. I listened to the call and definitely can't argue it. Just means I need to step up my game.

I also got a pay raise. Went from $16 to $17.28 which is a pretty hefty increase.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i am home sick

also lol no raise this year because i was bad at my job but also i didn’t get fired so that’s good

poo
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've started leaning into the literally/figuratively thing and saying "figuratively" with emphasis when I mean literally.

It actually seems to make people pay attention more.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    i am home sick

also lol no raise this year because i was bad at my job but also i didn’t get fired so that’s good

It's like a $0 tax return, you nailed it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    i am home sick

but there's inflation so...

poo
  • Options
    i am home sick

What did I tell you about shoehorning your fetish into every conversation?!?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    i am home sick

Do it more?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    i am home sick

Do it more?

Yeah, because it's my fetish to hear people cramming their fetish everywhere!

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I finally got a call graded, only getting 4 this month instead of 5 since I was gone the first week of the month. I got a 2 out of 3 and 3 out of 3 which is good but ruins my 3 month record of perfect scores. I listened to the call and definitely can't argue it. Just means I need to step up my game.

I also got a pay raise. Went from $16 to $17.28 which is a pretty hefty increase.

Hey man, I just wanted to say how awesome it is to see you doing so well. Last year it seemed like you were in a pretty bad funk so its great to see you happy. Keep doing what you're doing!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    i am home sick

Do it more?

Yeah, because it's my fetish to hear people cramming their fetish everywhere!

Is that like a subset of vore?

Madican on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I am exactly the same. I can't help feeling that there's one word which should always be taken literally, and that is the word literal(ly)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It’s 4:20 PM, and you know what THAT means.

40 minutes till I can leave.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    4wealwhsoyxd.png5j9ndm3ewb1n.png
    dfdxqfooc1kn.png4r3rfkm5y9ur.png

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    It’s 4:20 PM, and you know what THAT means.

40 minutes till I can leave.

Hell yeah dude, light up

the floor with the flame trails you'll leave when you get outta there

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Um.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Note to those that might not get the joke: In the US version of Sailor Moon they changed the voice lines to call the lesbian couple cousins.

• Options
    Oh, that makes more sense.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Note to those that might not get the joke: In the US version of Sailor Moon they changed the voice lines to call the lesbian couple cousins.

p2pdbnnls00n.png

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    So my school leadership just found out this morning that starting in the 20-21 school year their students will be required to obtain some sort of professional certification in order to graduate. This came with no warning apparently. Nobody had ever mentioned to them that this was even being considered or discussed.

So now they're panicking and trying to come up with something to apply to ALL students. Thank god I it's a whole pile of not-my-problem.

This came just 24 hours after the district dropped something about requiring certain digital citizenship/tech literacy requirements on every student in the district to be completed by the middle of May. Of course this means schools are mad at the tech department, but we were caught just as flat-footed as they were and knew nothing about it, therefore have no guidance to give principals. This is kinda sorta my problem, but the guidance delivered to me was today was to point principals and teachers to a different department entirely.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oof, not even a year for implementation

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I helped a blind lady get to her train car after she got stuck behind a pillar.

I'm basically Mother Theresa but actually a good person.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    expendable wrote: »
    So my school leadership just found out this morning that starting in the 20-21 school year their students will be required to obtain some sort of professional certification in order to graduate. This came with no warning apparently. Nobody had ever mentioned to them that this was even being considered or discussed.

So now they're panicking and trying to come up with something to apply to ALL students. Thank god I it's a whole pile of not-my-problem.

This came just 24 hours after the district dropped something about requiring certain digital citizenship/tech literacy requirements on every student in the district to be completed by the middle of May. Of course this means schools are mad at the tech department, but we were caught just as flat-footed as they were and knew nothing about it, therefore have no guidance to give principals. This is kinda sorta my problem, but the guidance delivered to me was today was to point principals and teachers to a different department entirely.

W- what? They're supposed to all get A+ certs or Six Sigma black belts or become registered welders or some shit?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My boss let me know that everything's been taken care of just to let me relax. He said one client got angry because I'm the only one in the area who can do virus removals in the field and I won't be in tomorrow, so she has to be rescheduled to another day. She threw a fit and started screaming at my boss, who told her "hey yeah I get it, I can cancel the appointment instead, no problem, hope you have a great day."

So hey, that's cool. Now I don't have to worry about clients and can just freak out about everything else!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Three times a year I have to turn the library into a restaurant for teachers. This year I made it fancy and got table cloths and little led candles and got calming mood lighting going.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well I did that thing yesterday and it generated a phone call today, which means a mystery plaguing my office for almost a year is hopefully on its way to a final resolution in a week or two. Really made my day.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My boss let me know that everything's been taken care of just to let me relax. He said one client got angry because I'm the only one in the area who can do virus removals in the field and I won't be in tomorrow, so she has to be rescheduled to another day. She threw a fit and started screaming at my boss, who told her "hey yeah I get it, I can cancel the appointment instead, no problem, hope you have a great day."

So hey, that's cool. Now I don't have to worry about clients and can just freak out about everything else!

Having a boss who will stand up for you to unreasonable customers is a gift. When I worked on the helpdesk our boss would not stand for people being excessively rude to us. If we reported someone, even a doctor for crossing a line he'd get their manager on their case about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just sat through a three-hour meeting right next to someone who coughed through the whole thing and then at the end said they were feeling feverish.

So long, gang, time to move on out to Arizona, I fear the air of Oklahoma will soon be too damp and heavy for my consumption-riddled lungs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.