As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I feel like DC having a good director who can easily and safely say "If you change that, I walk" might be the best thing they could possibly have.

That's assuming they're not too stupid to "call their bluff", only to find out that director wasn’t bluffing.

And I've given up on underestimating the rampant stupidity of the "executive" class, especially the ones in media.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I feel like DC having a good director who can easily and safely say "If you change that, I walk" might be the best thing they could possibly have.

That's assuming they're not too stupid to "call their bluff", only to find out that director wasn’t bluffing.

And I've given up on underestimating the rampant stupidity of the "executive" class, especially the ones in media.

They could be that stupid but it'd be a really fucking stupid misread of the situation. Oh no, Gunn would just have to go back to the biggest company in Hollywood to make his highly anticipated sequel with a cast who all called out the Mouse on Gunn's behalf they liked him so much.

There is no even pretending that's a briar patch. That is clearly a comped penthouse full of supermodels.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Counterargument: Snyder.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    If BoP actually good then yeah, I would 100% blame the marketing and the rating for its performance.

Edit: Well maybe 80%. Not making it a Harley Quinn movie and Margot Robbie vehicle also made it an uphill battle.

Yeah I'm gonna be honest I didn't even know this was a thing.

Like literally I was assuming that thread title was a some kind of comicbook crossover thing because if it was a movie I surely would have heard something about it.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Nah, they need a non-dudebro managing EP that doesn’t have their libertarian head up their grimdark ass

Atomika on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Counterargument: Snyder.

I'm sorry, we were talking about good directors. I don't really understand how Snyder applies in any way to that topic.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    "Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" is officially having its name changed to "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey".
    Regal Cinemas and AMC Theaters have already updated the title to reflect the Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey title.

Source

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Pfft, you cowards, at least Edge of Tomorrow waited until the digital/Blu-Ray to rename it to Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Should work out as well as the Cats fix.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    "Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" is officially having its name changed to "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey".
    Regal Cinemas and AMC Theaters have already updated the title to reflect the Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey title.

Source

They also realized the title was a mistake....a little too late though to help I think.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Seems like a move you do before it hits the theaters, not after spending a buttload of money on posters and adverts.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I've never seen a single 'What [Movie/Game/Book] is actually about' video that I've felt was worth watching.

I love the "ENDING EXPLAINED!" videos that I see so many links to on youtube. How else would you understand the ending of Billy Madison?

Those have to be making some serious money for some reason. I've never clicked on one yet I seem to be inundated with them. They are especially bad and spoilery for superhero movie post credits.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I've never seen a single 'What [Movie/Game/Book] is actually about' video that I've felt was worth watching.

I love the "ENDING EXPLAINED!" videos that I see so many links to on youtube. How else would you understand the ending of Billy Madison?

Those have to be making some serious money for some reason. I've never clicked on one yet I seem to be inundated with them. They are especially bad and spoilery for superhero movie post credits.

"Ok, fans! Super quick one today. First off, they totally copied Fury Road and went all black and white but whatever.
    Today it's Citizen Kane. And 'Rosebud' was the brand of sled he had as a kid. Wild! Alright, smash that like button!"

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I will say that this movie should have been a Gotham City Sirens movie and I think it would have done better. Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman would have been a much more fun pairing.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I will say that this movie should have been a Gotham City Sirens movie and I think it would have done better. Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman would have been a much more fun pairing.
    SNIP

Any story that focused on fewer protagonists and relationships would've been better. Even just Harley Quinn + Poison Ivy would've been a significantly better premise for a movie than the Birds of Prey, and that's including all the shitbird takes you would be getting from the "omg lesbians are evil!" crowd.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Seems like a move you do before it hits the theaters, not after spending a buttload of money on posters and adverts.

They didn't buy a Super Bowl spot even though BoP released 4 days later

I doubt they spent any money at all on advertising

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »

They didn't buy a Super Bowl spot even though BoP released 4 days later

I doubt they spent any money at all on advertising

Eh, it seems like most movies that shell out for SB ads are still a few months away. It also seems like we’ve been getting fewer movie ads overall the last few years. I’m not gonna hold this against them.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Even if they kind of gave her the CW costume treatment, I'm glad Huntress made it into a movie. She's my fav comic character out of the lot, and hope she gets a solo film. I'm guessing that's not going to happen now unfortunately.

Also the most interesting thing about Renee Montoya is that she's The Question; completely leaving that out is an odd choice.

/comic nerd rant over

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not so odd when you consider there are too damn many Birds of Prey and Montoya's possibly the only one that didn't feel rushed or skimmed over as it is.

Honestly, they just needed two Birds... say, Black Canary and Huntress. Their take on Huntress could have been great if she had more than three minutes of screen time and was more fleshed out. Harley could have finally had the foil she needed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Source

I'm not the only one who saw the title and thought of that Simpsons title, am I? When the mind immediately goes to a joke movie that was destined to fail just from its title, how did the original get approved?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Loved it, aesthetics were off the charts.
    Sad there was no "welcome back to the squad, bitch" post credit scene with The Wall, but that quip was a close second, lol.

I don't get the hate about Cain, I thought she was great. Not familiar with the source, though.

There was one new scene with 'Mista J' when she was tattooing the guy's face. I'll admit I'm a bit sad they didn't get Leto back just to permanently close the book on his character, but ah well.

I loved her random psychiatric bits. Yep, she's still a doc. I also think it earned the R rating, it gave the film personality I don't think it would've had otherwise, especially with how terrifying Zsazs was. (He was spot-on.)

Also, McGregor's Black Mask is super fabulously gay, good lord.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thought birds of prey was pretty good. Margot Robbie was simply amazing as Harley. Moved really quick, was nice and numerous, only let fown is the fact the birds of prey are an afterthought. But I came to see Harley anyways. Loved her narration.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Even if they kind of gave her the CW costume treatment, I'm glad Huntress made it into a movie. She's my fav comic character out of the lot, and hope she gets a solo film. I'm guessing that's not going to happen now unfortunately.

Also the most interesting thing about Renee Montoya is that she's The Question; completely leaving that out is an odd choice.

/comic nerd rant over

So, wait. Is huntrest an awkward nerd canonically, or was that just for this?

I actually kinda think BoP(aTFEoOHQ) was actually pretty enjoyable and maybe even actually kinda good. I wish it was slightly better and less triggery. I'm very close to wanting to recommend it to my female Burner campmates, one of whom is this mildly stunning blond with a deranged sense of humor and no concept of squad who's going through a divorce and maybe needs a spirit animal, and the rest are just very into costuming and have a slightly trashy, repurposed, really quite extra sense of style. Though, k-holes and sexual assault are things actual humans actually have to deal with, so maybe... yeah... maybe not.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

/comic nerd rant over

I actually kinda think BoP(aTFEoOHQ) was actually pretty enjoyable and maybe even actually kinda good. I wish it was slightly better and less triggery. I'm very close to wanting to recommend it to my female Burner campmates, one of whom is this mildly stunning blond with a deranged sense of humor and no concept of squad who's going through a divorce and maybe needs a spirit animal, and the rest are just very into costuming and have a slightly trashy, repurposed, really quite extra sense of style. Though, k-holes and sexual assault are things actual humans actually have to deal with, so maybe... yeah... maybe not.

Can you clarify something for me?
    Does somebody get raped when they're on a bunch of ketamine? Is it graphic? I know what that level of dissociation feels like and I really really do not want to watch something like that onscreen.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

/comic nerd rant over

Can you clarify something for me?
    Does somebody get raped when they're on a bunch of ketamine? Is it graphic? I know what that level of dissociation feels like and I really really do not want to watch something like that onscreen.

Not quite that extreme.
    No. Harley gets hit with a tranquilizer, and then the baddie sits down next to her, and talks to her about how she is still conscious and makes creepy suggestions about doing vile, presumably violent and sexual, things to her. It gets interupted.

It kinda squiked me out. For someone who has dealt with trauma from in similar situations, it could maybe be a lot.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't get the hate about Cain, I thought she was great. Not familiar with the source, though.

Cassandra Cain in the comics was the child of Lady Shiva, the #1/2 best martial artist in the DCU, and David Cain, super duper assassin who trained Bruce Wayne when he was learning how to be Batman. She was bred for the purpose of being Ra's Al Ghul's super assassin bodyguard and was never allowed human contact or allowed to learn to speak and read, using those parts of her brain to fill with "moer fight" but learned empathy from people's body language. After being forced to kill a target at a young age she ran away from her father and then showed up during the No Man's Land story where the bat-family takes her in and helps her out and she's now up there with the best martial artists in the universe.

She's not a smart aleck foul mouthed pickpocket or whatever is implied in the movie, and people's gripes are that why even use the name if you're going to completely scrap the character as she is. Call her Jayson Todd or something.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Cassandra Cain in the comics was the child of Lady Shiva, the #1/2 best martial artist in the DCU, and David Cain, super duper assassin who trained Bruce Wayne when he was learning how to be Batman. She was bred for the purpose of being Ra's Al Ghul's super assassin bodyguard and was never allowed human contact or allowed to learn to speak and read, using those parts of her brain to fill with "moer fight" but learned empathy from people's body language. After being forced to kill a target at a young age she ran away from her father and then showed up during the No Man's Land story where the bat-family takes her in and helps her out and she's now up there with the best martial artists in the universe.

She's not a smart aleck foul mouthed pickpocket or whatever is implied in the movie, and people's gripes are that why even use the name if you're going to completely scrap the character as she is. Call her Jayson Todd or something.

I know nothing of her background in comics but thought she was delightful. Shame they took a name and did nothing with it, but the character in the movie is likable

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Ah. Yeah, that's a lot. I like her in the film, but she's nowhere near that developed.

Also, boy this movie REALLY wants you to know it's in Gotham. They must have said it like 30 times.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I don’t mind so much because a) it was a good character and b) Cassandra Cain from the comics is not something I’ve ever cared about

But I understand if people feel differently

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Birds of Prey

Was very good

Easily the best DC movie, high on my rankings for "best comic movie"

Mostly because, like Thor Ragnarok it realized comic book movies should be one thing first:

Fun!

Sure there was some stilted dialogue, predictable beats, and plot holes but....who cares?

It was a movie not to be taken seriously, and to just goof off with and it reveled in that

Loved it, would see again

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's really frustrating to hear that people who have actually seen the movie tend to enjoy it. Its box office performance just screams poor marketing, especially in light of how bad the trailers are...

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    It's really frustrating to hear that people who have actually seen the movie tend to enjoy it. Its box office performance just screams poor marketing, especially in light of how bad the trailers are...

The name of the movie doesn't really have any sort of mass market recognition and the only reason I knew it was comic related is because of these forums. Literally the only marketing I've remembered for it is the annoying snapchat ad where Harley shouts boo at you after you read someone's story.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Someone in here mentioned there's a scene with Joker in it, and so I searched "Joker in Harley Quinn movie" and even Google had no idea what I was asking

• Options
    Someone in here mentioned there's a scene with Joker in it, and so I searched "Joker in Harley Quinn movie" and even Google had no idea what I was asking

There’s a scene with part of the back of the Joker’s head, I think taken from a Suicide Squad clip

You probably blinked and missed the whole thing

• Options

There's two scenes: the one where she jumps into the vat from SS(with him cropped out, lol), and a new one where
    one of the people after her has tattoos on his face, and a flashback shows Harley and Joker did it to him, but you only see him from behind. It's clearly Leto's Joker.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm afraid Birds of Prey's magic didn't work on me. I simply didn't enjoy it. I found much of the writing clunky, and the direction didn't do much for me either. I did appreciate that they didn't go for a "Save the world from swirly CGI thing!" plot, and I think that Robbie does a fantastic job with the role, but other than her and Huntress there was little that pressed my FUN! button.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Robert Pattinson, once he got that Twilight and Harry Potter money, has shown absolutely zero interest in being in a movie that's not weird.

So I wanna know what buckwild script they lured him in with.

• Options
    I'm guessing it's just test footage, like they did with the Joker 'first look' that was just him in costume and makeup doing nothing

That being said, Pattinson certainly has the jaw for the Bats, my god

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Robert Pattinson, once he got that Twilight and Harry Potter money, has shown absolutely zero interest in being in a movie that's not weird.

So I wanna know what buckwild script they lured him in with.

Right? He's an excellent actor so I'm willing to give this movie a fair shot

This discussion has been closed.