As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Fight the good fight, join the S-Team today!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I still need to track down a copy of Coast 2 Coast - I have OR2 on the original Xbox and Online Arcade (again before it was discontinued) on the Xbox 360. And I loved the first game from '86 too. A great series, but it does kind of need that Ferrari license. It does lose something when it has to use a generic Ferrari-ish (Ferrarish?) car instead. But it wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari wanted far too much now for what is a relatively niche type of racing game, it'll never be Gran Turismo or Forza or Assetto Corsa or anything these days to justify the cost for Sega.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    @Karoz just (three days ago since I last opened steam, been playing RDR2 on PS4) gifted me Quest of Dungeons on steam!

Indie roguelike dungeon crawler game that's been been on my wishlist for a long time.

Thanks Karoz!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    chasm wrote: »
    AssCreedOd Gold Edition for $25: https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-gold-edition Almost sold out after the deal going live ~three hours ago.

Note this is an Ubi key just FYI

Kalypso Bundle, up to 10 games for $5 --- note only games I really have played and recommend are Dungegons 2 and Tropico 3

https://youtu.be/2ENPYp9h8SM

Look at the evil Slay the Spire has unleashed upon us

Karoz on
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    Kalypso Bundle, up to 10 games for $5 --- note only games I really have played and recommend are Dungegons 2 and Tropico 3

I think I remember hearing good things about Omerta.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Finally got around to trying Phantom Doctrine, an X-com style strategy game set in the espionage world of the 80's, after getting it in Humble Monthly and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. It was a bit intimidating to start with because it does rather slap you in the face with a whole bunch of interacting systems and tasks at once, but it didn't take long to get the hang of it. The agents you recruit have just the right amount of customization and background detail for you to get attached and start making up personalities for them.

90prenu2dtm3.png

Deadpan, Drumroll, Canasta and Durand have been my main team members so far. Deadpan is the main/player character, a former CIA agent (you can be KGB if you prefer). Canasta is a hard-bitten USMC vet. Drumroll is a Cantonese ex-Triad member I mainly use for infiltrating sites in disguise.

odu9drgs8s31.png

(Getting her a silencer was a godsend.)

I'm not usually much good at the combat in X-com style games, and I think one of the reasons I've taken to this one is that it encourages infiltration/stealthing your way around all the time - Open combat is very much treated as an "everything's gone to shit, just get out as soon as possible" situation. The reinforcements are endless, and your evac sites can be compromised if you take too long.

7wt19m1qhgh0.png

"Fuckin' Navy pricks."

You have to be careful not to leave bodies lying around in stealth, though - And if enemy agents notice that guards aren't reporting in, they'll start seeking you out whilst destroying any secret files they come across, which you collect in order to unlock extra items and missions via a fun side mini-game where you locate key words in documents and match them up to create big mad conspiracy boards full of pins and string.

kvafrungi85i.jpg

Anyway, fun game, lots of atmosphere, recommended. Now I've got to go rescue someone who has vital information I need.

4giutevefbj4.png

Nailbomb's new. I'm really not sure about her.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I still need to track down a copy of Coast 2 Coast - I have OR2 on the original Xbox and Online Arcade (again before it was discontinued) on the Xbox 360. And I loved the first game from '86 too. A great series, but it does kind of need that Ferrari license. It does lose something when it has to use a generic Ferrari-ish (Ferrarish?) car instead. But it wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari wanted far too much now for what is a relatively niche type of racing game, it'll never be Gran Turismo or Forza or Assetto Corsa or anything these days to justify the cost for Sega.

I mean you only need exactly two Ferraris

Testarossa

and

Testarossa with no roof

Everything else is superfluous. C'mon can be that much ya smucks.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Phantom Doctorine got a fairly middling response when it released, I wonder if they've spent the last year or so polishing it up because it's getting a good reception in this thread now

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I really need to get Phantom Doctrine installed and played one of these days (got it from Humble as I'm sure many here did). The basics of XCOM mission gameplay and customization but in an '80s espionage setting with disguises and silencers and shit, and a focus on stealth? And a mad conspiracy string board mini game to boot that I had no idea about?

I mean, come on. That's a crazy amount of boxes for one game to tick.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

I think I remember hearing good things about Omerta.

Wack a klansmen with a bat.

I own it, need to get back in.

There is a demo

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    All I can say about Phantom Doctrine is that I'm enjoying it - Like I say, I'm not really a big X-Com person, not for want of trying. It's one of those genres I wish I was better at, you know?
    I really need to get Phantom Doctrine installed and played one of these days (got it from Humble as I'm sure many here did). The basics of XCOM mission gameplay and customization but in an '80s espionage setting with disguises and silencers and shit, and a focus on stealth? And a mad conspiracy string board mini game to boot that I had no idea about?

You can assign other agents to complete the conspiracy boards automatically over time for you, but why on Earth would you ever do that

Oh, and Daemon X Machina came out today - I fired it up to have a quick blast and check out the framerate.

5805D9B49A5BD132B4CB8D04274A22BA1A5F4D04

No worries - The highest setting it offers you in the options is 200 fps.

1E8B8B51C1EACE127F75FD1353EDDD14F955647D

The character creator isn't anywhere near as complex as, say, Code Veins, but it's got the same anime feel just right.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Second Long War attempt made it 8 hours compared to 40 minutes, and might still be doable. Lost one squad and one soldier along the way, Germany noped out of the council as soon as their panic hit the first bar for some reason. The only thing that makes me think I'm doomed is engineers. Only option I've been getting to pick them up has been launching satellites for council requests, but I need more engineers to build uplinks to do that. So I've got 39 scientists burning through research and 14 engineers with their thumbs up their butts.

• Options
    All I can say about Phantom Doctrine is that I'm enjoying it - Like I say, I'm not really a big X-Com person, not for want of trying. It's one of those genres I wish I was better at, you know?

I'm not very good at them either. Never have been at strategy games of any flavor. But I still often enjoy them, and I did XCOM, to a point - enough that I've got it on multiple platforms and I'll certainly play something else of that ilk. And Phantom Doctrine's setting is one that really grabs my attention.

Zxerol wrote: »

I mean you only need exactly two Ferraris

Testarossa

and

Testarossa with no roof

Everything else is superfluous. C'mon can be that much ya smucks.

Open top Testa is obviously the Out Run classic choice, but I did like a lot of the selection in Out Run 2. The game's era also seemed to coincide with the last Ferraris I really liked, as well as having some classics in there. Testarossa, Daytona, F40, F50, and 360 Spider, yes please. So many of their newer cars have left me completely cold.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I just realized that Doomguy is weeb as fuck.

Since he's killing angels now.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    @LD50 sent me a key for Them's Fightin' Herds!

Thanks! <3

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hm Kingdom Come Deliverance is free on Epic... was that game any good? I remember a bit of a kerfuffle about it but I don't remember specifics

Fleeb on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Hm Kingdom Come Deliverance is free on Epic... was that game any good? I remember a bit of a kerfuffle about it but I don't remember specifics

The kerfuffle is that its creator is a massive tool. As for the game itself, people generally like it.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It's also available on the Windows Store if you have XBox Gamepass, if you have that and still don't want to use EGS.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Fleeb wrote: »

The kerfuffle is that its creator is a massive tool. As for the game itself, people generally like it.

So basically, getting it for free is the best case scenario. Good game without personally giving money to a goose!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    IIRC, the devs were that special flavor of "We're not including women and/or minorities due to our false conceptions of historical accuracy. Now chug this health potion." toolbags.

EDIT: Specifically on people of colour, in this case.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    IIRC, the devs were that special flavor of "We're not including women and/or minorities due to our false conceptions of historical accuracy. Now chug this health potion." toolbags.

The game has several notable women, including one that saves the main character's life, twice IIRC, has a DLC where you play as a woman, and it takes place in 1400's Bohemia. What kind of minorities are you looking for?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

The game has several notable women, including one that saves the main character's life, twice IIRC, has a DLC where you play as a woman, and it takes place in 1400's Bohemia. What kind of minorities are you looking for?

I said and/or because I couldn't specifically remember which one it was (there's been several developers who've used "historical accuracy" to justify a host of representation issues.) so that one's on me for just going on a hazy recollection instead of actually looking things up to refresh myself. Apparently I did not remember correctly after all.

Regarding it taking place in 1400's Bohemia
    1. There were absolutely people of color in 1400's Bohemia (who aren't evil invaders). Travel was a thing even back then.
    2. Again, they fall back on thier idea of "historical accuracy" to justify why it's okay the didn't include nonwhite people, and yet they let videogame trappings like magic health potions exist just fine. If you're already willing to work around the idea of historical accuracy for gameplay reasons, it makes it a little harder to swallow when you draw the line at including better representation.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Wolcen is purty good guys.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Game developers should never use the term “historical accuracy” when describing their games. The moment you have combat in a game and someone isn’t disabled, dismembered, exhausted, or outright dead from a weapon renders your entire statement false.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Game developers should never use the term “historical accuracy” when describing their games. The moment you have combat in a game and someone isn’t disabled, dismembered, exhausted, or outright dead from a weapon renders your entire statement false.

You're saying I can't strap chainsaws to my high heels and ride them like rollerskates in reality!?

Also sounds like I need to get Wolcen. Quick, somone order candles from me!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    History is written by the victor and people editing out the crazy stuff.

Remember we live in a post Obama world because Jeri Ryan's then husband was a horny dirtbag

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Remember we live in a post Obama world because Jeri Ryan's then husband was a horny dirtbag

You uh, you appear to be in the wrong thread

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The character creator isn't anywhere near as complex as, say, Code Veins, but it's got the same anime feel just right.

I wonder if the plot being stuffed to the gills with sometimes near-incomprehensible jargon is because of the anime or because of the sci-fi.

All these hardened, battle-scarred mercenaries really enjoying ice cream is probably an anime thing, though.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I said and/or because I couldn't specifically remember which one it was (there's been several developers who've used "historical accuracy" to justify a host of representation issues.) so that one's on me for just going on a hazy recollection instead of actually looking things up to refresh myself. Apparently I did not remember correctly after all.

1. There were absolutely people of color in 1400's Bohemia (who aren't evil invaders). Travel was a thing even back then.
    2. Again, they fall back on thier idea of "historical accuracy" to justify why it's okay the didn't include nonwhite people, and yet they let videogame trappings like magic health potions exist just fine. If you're already willing to work around the idea of historical accuracy for gameplay reasons, it makes it a little harder to swallow when you draw the line at including better representation.

Hell, it's especially true in Bohemia. Seriously, this is not some backwater province in the HRE or something, this is goddamn Bohemia. The capital of Bohemia was like New York City at the time, it was a huge center of culture and commerce, people came there from everywhere, so even if you're way in the sticks, not running into the occasional merchant from like Turkey and north Africa is honestly kind of silly, and the silly becomes glaring when the author is touting his historical accuracy.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed what I played of Phantom Doctrine, but worried it would get more XCOMy later. should get back in if it stays nonopen combat. (I am bad at XCOM as well)

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Remember Genji? Giant enemy crab. Attack the weak point for massive damage.

Granted, that was a different game. But it became meme-worthy for a reason. If you're going to tout historical accuracy as a selling point...

Per Wiki:
    The "Giant Enemy Crab" meme originated during the demonstration of Genji: Days of the Blade at the Sony E3 2006 press conference. The producer Bill Ritch claimed that Genji 2's epic battles were based on "famous battles which actually took place in ancient Japan." Approximately two minutes after this was spoken, the gameplay footage showed a boss battle against, in his own words, a "giant enemy crab." Popular memes originating from the Genji demonstration included the game features described such as "you attack its weak point for massive damage" and "real-time... weapon change," despite neither of these being at all new to video gaming, being staples of classic 1980s games such as Metroid.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I only know one Genji.

And he always needs healing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0zT-at719k

Yassss YAAAAAASSSSSS

Edit: The lip twitch at the end is perfection. Bravo to that actress.

Spintires Original game $2

Karoz on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Drascin wrote: »

Hell, it's especially true in Bohemia. Seriously, this is not some backwater province in the HRE or something, this is goddamn Bohemia. The capital of Bohemia was like New York City at the time, it was a huge center of culture and commerce, people came there from everywhere, so even if you're way in the sticks, not running into the occasional merchant from like Turkey and north Africa is honestly kind of silly, and the silly becomes glaring when the author is touting his historical accuracy.

Warhorse Studio's owner is an ass but I feel I should point out that the game takes places quite away from the capitol of Bohemia. The major town in the game is Rattay. Prague has a population of over 1.3 million people today. Rattay had a population of under 550 people in 2017. Sasau, another big town in the game, has a population of about 3700 people today centuries after the game is set. This is far in the backwater of Bohemia and how out in the boonies and disconnected from the goings on in the rest of the kingdom the main characters are comes up in quests and dialogue during the game (there's also some background dialogue from NPCs that have been to larger cities talking about how mind blowing it was to see an African so there's a bit of acknowledgement that the kingdom isn't all white people).

I've posted essays about how much I love Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs because he's the first time I've seen the experience of an Asian-American man and how it's different from being a native Asian in Asia depicted in a game and have spelled out that part of why Johnny Gat in Saints Row is loved by part of the fanbase despite being a shallow character is that seeing a Korean-American depicted as such a badass is otherwise unheard of and I can fully believe that the part of Bohemia depicted in Kingdom Come would be bereft of people of color. If Prague was compared to 1800s Washington D.C., then Rattay would be Boyds or Hagerstown's non-slave population at the time.

Ultimately I see Kingdom Come as part of a small trend where small developers not from the US or England want to tell very specific stories related to their cultures in games. These often aren't going to be games with the most diverse casts. I'm pretty sure Detention and Devotion don't feature native Taiwanese from the population that lived there before the mass exodus of Chinese that settled in Taiwan after the civil war. These games aren't going to speak to or for everyone and that's fine and thankfully most head developers aren't as much of an ass about that as Warhorse's.

Edit: Also, the game is seriously disjointed and janky anyway. I think a lot of people have higher expectations because it looks so damn pretty at times that it's not apparent that it's still way more indie game than AAA. I think of it as the type of game only me and @Elvenshae could love in terms of mechanics.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    For those in the EU, The Divison 2 is now 3€ in the EU Ubi store too:
    w6qt7bxccaqi.jpg

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

How sure of that should we be?

• Options
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    For those in the EU, The Divison 2 is now 3€ in the EU Ubi store too:
    w6qt7bxccaqi.jpg

Two quid fifty here. For the price of a coffee, even bullet sponges start to look tempting.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Man the mines in Sam's Story combine with the Metro Exodus load times are a real one-two punch.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

For anyone actually confused, Royce was commenting on the Kingdom Come historical realism stuff.

• Options
    Tried out Metro Exodus on Game Pass, loved 2033 and Last Light, got to the open world part and then just wasn't feeling the game anymore.

Realized I wasn't play Metro anymore, I was playing STALKER. Nice try, but I'm not falling for that!

Oh well, paid the right price. Still have some other Game Pass games to try yet before I cancel it.

• Options

Royce was always in the right thread.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Loyalty to Yuri

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Metro exodus didn’t really feel like an open world game for me, it’s still pretty linear in a good way, the open areas just provide more ways to approach some missions. But for the most part it’s still heavily story based. Was one of my favourite games of last year, felt like a spiritual successor to Half-life 2 more than stalker

Also playing Darksiders Genesis and I suddenly realised why most arpgs don’t have platforming and jumping puzzles. Because fixed camera angles make them akin to war crimes

This discussion has been closed.