As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    In a follow up to the health system tellings it's employees to sell the health systems insurance plans to everyone they know for cash prizes shit show thing from earlier,

I wrote "this is gross and unethical" on the company newsfeed article comments section

Really sticking it to man right here with this meaningless act that will probably get me fired

Better work on that resume and begin looking for a job that pays at least $15/hr

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That feel when your boss tries to call you in on your day off but you literally don't give a fuck and just keep playing video games

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Just sat through a three-hour meeting right next to someone who coughed through the whole thing and then at the end said they were feeling feverish.

So long, gang, time to move on out to Arizona, I fear the air of Oklahoma will soon be too damp and heavy for my consumption-riddled lungs.

You can stay in my spare room as long as you pay for my mortgage. And utilities.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    4wealwhsoyxd.png5j9ndm3ewb1n.png
    dfdxqfooc1kn.png4r3rfkm5y9ur.png

Sailor Swoon

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just sat through a three-hour meeting right next to someone who coughed through the whole thing and then at the end said they were feeling feverish.

So long, gang, time to move on out to Arizona, I fear the air of Oklahoma will soon be too damp and heavy for my consumption-riddled lungs.

Jedoc, you'll always be my huckleberry.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I start overnights again but I was so used to sleeping till 11am and going to bed at 3am that I tired staying up so I could sleep later. I failed in that as I got up a little after 1
    I know I will be tired when I come home. I am also scared that I am going to be put in charge of Cap 2 again and clean up the mess it is again

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I initially balked at spending $50 of my own money on table cloths but the food is done and I didn't have to spend my entire evening cleaning tables! I only lost four of the table cloths to damage so I can reuse the rest.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I'm going to do something very stupid

I graduate from graduate school in May.

For those that don't know I spent 2 years between undergrad and grad school waiting on a security clearance

Well there's a position I am qualified for (almost explicitly what my program is designed to churn out), in my city, with an interesting org of the federal government, that requires a security clearance, that I'm going to apply for

Because this dick don't learn things the first time

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, let's do this thing. I am not joking at all when I say that perhaps the completely arbitrary nature of security clearances will swing in your favor this time, because why fucking not?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Yeah, let's do this thing. I am not joking at all when I say that perhaps the completely arbitrary nature of security clearances will swing in your favor this time, because why fucking not?

At least this one is lower this time

That aside I'm applying for mostly public data analyst/program analyst type positions right now. Preferably wanna get something in public finance, but meh. Gonna apply for more private sector stuff as I get closer to graduation, but right now I want to focus on applying to public sector stuff because that's where I want to work. Most preferably with the city, but other public sector work around here is good too.

Luckily I'll have lots of experience in data management from my own research work and my RA work to talk about in an interview. Any time I get asked a question I'll start with "let me tell you motherfuckers about Arkansas"

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So I'm going to do something very stupid

I graduate from graduate school in May.

For those that don't know I spent 2 years between undergrad and grad school waiting on a security clearance

Well there's a position I am qualified for (almost explicitly what my program is designed to churn out), in my city, with an interesting org of the federal government, that requires a security clearance, that I'm going to apply for

Because this dick don't learn things the first time

I'm hiring an analyst right now, guested guaranteed 0% stupid bullshit, just thirsting throwing that out there.

Edit - jfc autocorrect please stop exposing my inner monologue

MrMonroe on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    My OTP is MrMonroe/Oghulk.

Children's rights are human rights.
    IIRC the Mr isn't in Texas

Tbh I know I'm limiting myself by wanting to stay in this area, but it's my home, family is here, SO is here, etc.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    At work we use a bot for support tickets via Discord. A paid bot. With a monthly fee and everything. Like, it's a legit piece of software and seems to be about the best option of this type that I've found.

Anyway, today I was checking through the ticket logs on it because I needed to find something. This was my first time diving into the logs. Luckily each ticket is archived as its own file, AND they're date and time stamped, so this should be easy! But as soon as I start digging through them, none of it makes any goddamn sense. I start to wonder if all the numbers in the file names are even date/time stamps or if they're just randomly assigned because I can't make heads or tails of it.

You know, usually when you use date and time in filenames, you'd do something sensible like YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm-ss. Or if you're a stubborn American who doesn't care about your future self having to find files, you go MM-DD-YYYY-hh-mm-ss.

Then it hit me. The galaxy brain who wrote this bot (and hard coded the timestamps) set them up as: ssmmhhMMDDYYYY

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    That is probably the most useless timestamp format I've seen.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's actually not a terrible random number generator, if that's what you were going for.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That is probably the most useless timestamp format I've seen.

RIGHT?!

I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I can't come up with a single reason anyone would ever use that as a timestamp.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife is probably staying overnight because they want to do a full spinal MRI which is done in multiple parts. In planning stuff with her we realized that with the whirlwind today has been, she didn't call her work to say she wouldn't be on. So add that stress to the pile.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Great bonus to being the guy that makes the schedules. I just booked a vacation to visit my parents on the Gulf coast in a couple weeks, and I've already gotten all the scheduling changes taken care of including submitting my vacation hours.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I get to possibly fire someone tomorrow morning! My week is going great!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    expendable wrote: »
    So my school leadership just found out this morning that starting in the 20-21 school year their students will be required to obtain some sort of professional certification in order to graduate. This came with no warning apparently. Nobody had ever mentioned to them that this was even being considered or discussed.

So now they're panicking and trying to come up with something to apply to ALL students. Thank god I it's a whole pile of not-my-problem.

This came just 24 hours after the district dropped something about requiring certain digital citizenship/tech literacy requirements on every student in the district to be completed by the middle of May. Of course this means schools are mad at the tech department, but we were caught just as flat-footed as they were and knew nothing about it, therefore have no guidance to give principals. This is kinda sorta my problem, but the guidance delivered to me was today was to point principals and teachers to a different department entirely.

W- what? They're supposed to all get A+ certs or Six Sigma black belts or become registered welders or some shit?

I guess? Some of the career/trade classes already did this for the kids that stuck with the program for some number of years, but there's a population of kids who don't stick with one program, or mainly focus on college classes and academics.

I would not be at all opposed to every high schooler walking out with a Core 1 A+ Cert or something. Technology literacy is way down on the baseline. It's easy for me to say that though because I wouldn't be teaching it. It's spendy and a bit overkill, but I have no certs whatsoever so I don't know if there's a lower tier or something that would cover basic shit like what the parts of a computer do and basic troubleshooting and just generally how shit works on the internet.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @Weaver should your store's broadway doors be open at this time?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    - Everyone shits themselves preparing for a team meeting which the new executive was invited to for 9AM this morning.
    - Said executive ends up not joining due to a last minute conflict.

Fuck this place.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yesterday was super Fridax, today I'm wandering around a town I'm not familiar with, trying out coffees and beer. My flight to Oslo is an hour delayed, so I'm getting food, more beer and coffee. I'd rather be home. I need a vacation.

E: This would be more fun if my social anxiety didn't act up like woha at entering unfamiliar stores.

MrGrimoire on
    So the restaurant I'm in is a chain of the rather casual variety. Wearing a shirt of any kind is dressing up. And there's a guy here in a full suit, with flowers and stuff. Who's apparently here an hour early.

On the one hand, I'm really interested in staying around to see how that plays out. On the other hand, it's bloody Valentine's day, the place is crowded and I want out.

I think I'll head up to the airport early, pray they've finished renovating the departures pub and keep this buzz right on going. Valentine's is the worst.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Happy Fridax, ya'll!

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    It's my boss's last day today. No word on when we are getting a new boss much less who it is going to be. The rumor mill is going crazy.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    We have a big milestone for one of our biggest projects due this afternoon, in the form of a first draft - which translates from office speak to fourth or fifth draft quality. My boss assigned this to me Wednesday afternoon, and made me move the day off I had scheduled for today as she was planning on being out of the office.

She is out of the office, but before she took off this morning she did manage to open the document off the intranet and left it open so I can make no edits.

What a day. What a great day.

Narbus on
    The airport pub is open, I have beer.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Contracts drafted by lawyers that are sloppy, amateur-level messes really bum me out.

You're an in-house attorney! Getting this right is your entire job! BE BETTER.

Makes my job fun more though because I get to use redlines to dunk on these idiots.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Still haven't heard anything back from that potential government posting (though they did say first round picks went out and I didn't get anything so I have to assume I am hopefully a second round pick). In the meantime getting my shit together as I reach the finish line at school and starting to look at needing certifications.

Well they just posted a job for an administrative assistant for my department. Problem is, they are a pay grade above me, and its a big leap. My review is coming up and I think I'm going to ask why I am the only one who does/knows how to do several aspects of our work, I have more education then all but 1 one of my co-workers, and yet I am the lowest paid person in the department, including the soon to be hired administrative assistance, which while a difficult and busy job that I know takes skill and knowledge, has no education requirements on the job description except high school diploma or equivalent when mine required a bachelors degree. Its weird because I don't want to say I should make more money then X person or Y job but with 2 years of experience in this, 2 years experience at my previous job doing similar, and soon a masters degree, I do think I should be getting a bump and this job posting might be the easiest way for me to go about that.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    @Weaver should your store's broadway doors be open at this time?

Yeah, should be open at 5am.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The learned helplessness of my coworkers is driving me nuts.

Coworker: I'm getting an error, can you see what's wrong?
    (sends error message that spells out clearly how the file is malformed.)
    Hedgie: (headdesk until the hurting stops)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife called out from work today and gets to call hr next, then working on STI and maybe long term. I'm glad my boss is taking care of things with clients on my schedule but holy shit I'm losing my mind.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Damn Shadow, I'm sorry you and your wife and going through this

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    My kinda-day off yesterday turned into a normal workday, my actual day off today turned into 1/3 of a day off, I just about managed to get away for three hours in the middle of the day.

What's the word for not having hit the wall yet, but clearly being able to see the wall from where you are? There must be something in German.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Feels good to hit a fridax where I don't feel compelled to work all weekend

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Hey

I got that promotion I interviewed for. :D

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Yesterday was super Fridax, today I'm wandering around a town I'm not familiar with, trying out coffees and beer. My flight to Oslo is an hour delayed, so I'm getting food, more beer and coffee. I'd rather be home. I need a vacation.

E: This would be more fun if my social anxiety didn't act up like woha at entering unfamiliar stores.

Wait, this is the [job] thread.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
This discussion has been closed.