As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yawn

Wow. That could not have left me less enthused. I know it's a "First Look", but I just couldn't give less of a fuck. Really emphasizing the "grimdark moodiness". For those that don't want to watch 1:06 of the batsuit moving out of complete darkness into mostly darkness, with what sounds to me to be an uninspired nursery rhyme score, well, I just described it.

Frankly, I'm over any DCEU that isn't Shazam. Glad some people were able to like Joker and BoP, but couldn't be less interested.

The DCTV though, in particular the Titanverse, I'm all in on, I liked S2 of Titans (except for one part in the finale that rankled me), and there isn't a superheroey show I'm more excited to see than Doom Patrol Season 2. It not having a releast date yet is pissing me off.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I can't imagine passing judgement on a movie based on 1 minute of footage with no dialogue but hey, you do you mang

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't imagine passing judgement on a movie based on 1 minute of footage with no dialogue but hey, you do you mang

I'm not going to pass judgment on the movie, but studios put out stuff like this to get people interested

it didn't have that effect on me at any rate

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It's clearly not a trailer at all, just a suit teaser since nerds people go batty ( 8-) ) over that sort of thing.

Personally the look is doing it for me, and after Lighthouse I'm decidedly a Pattinson fan, so I'm on board so far.

edited February 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »

I'm not going to pass judgment on the movie, but studios put out stuff like this to get people interested

it didn't have that effect on me at any rate

Fair enough take. I just feel like the standard drum to bang is "DC bad haha" and there's enough of that kind attitude elsewhere on the net. Idk it's just tiresome to see people react that way to something that short, and sometimes that actually did kind of get me excited for the movie, possibly...definitely a step up from Batfleck costume which always felt too chunky and stubby. And the red light gave me Batman Beyond vibes, lol

Anyways I'm going in at the very least neutral to positive, cautiously optimistic and all that

Local H Jay on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

As @Xaquin said, it's about interest. And I'm not. If you're going to show the suit off, show it off.

As for passing judgment, after 4 bad movies, two adequate ones, and one IMO good one (Joker and BoP excepted as I haven't seen either), I think having the burden of doubt is on them to prove it's not another stinker.

and don't get me wrong, if another teaser or clip comes out and looks awesome, I'm down

it's just that specific one doesn't really do anything for me

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This is one of those movies with a 95% certainty that I will see in theaters, so I have absolutely no incentive to watch trailers or partake in pre-release speculation or rumormongering.

Which isn't to say you guys can't do that - I'm just sharing how I approach movies I know I'll watch in the theater.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    holy crap

the batsymbol in his chest is made from the gun that killed his parents

(which is an actual thing that happened in the comics)

shit I might be getting hype

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m going to pause my yawning so I can barf and then go back to yawning

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    The footage is literally a camera test, not even a teaser

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    that is even edgier and more grimdark than Punisher 2099!

pffff hahahaa

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Birds of Prey.

The pacing was a little odd at times, but goddamn the fight choreography was ON-POINT. It is very, very hard to take a giant fight scene, make it look completely chaotic, but still have everything happen be readable by the audience. A lot of movies and shows do great 'chaos' fights that can be very hard to visually parse, for me, because so much is happening. Every fight in this felt like people fighting. Crazy people, but people.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

The pacing was a little odd at times, but goddamn the fight choreography was ON-POINT. It is very, very hard to take a giant fight scene, make it look completely chaotic, but still have everything happen be readable by the audience. A lot of movies and shows do great 'chaos' fights that can be very hard to visually parse, for me, because so much is happening. Every fight in this felt like people fighting. Crazy people, but people.

It really helped that like 60% of the action from the final fights took place from, or near, Cassandra Cain's point of view. So you just saw goons and the birds fighting from panning action shots near her point of view. That entire climax fight scene was one of my favorite fight scenes in recent movies.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: DC needs a 10 year moratorium on everything batman related so that they can develop other characters for the big screen.

Because holy shit I am so done with bruce.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cassandra Cain Batman

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    holy crap

I wondered why it had lots of different component bits

I thought it might detach into some kind of tool or something

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing it's just test footage, like they did with the Joker 'first look' that was just him in costume and makeup doing nothing

That being said, Pattinson certainly has the jaw for the Bats, my god

This was legit my takeaway

"Hmm, yeah alright. That sure is a bat-jawline. Cool"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    The gun-bat thing is the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever seen outside of politics

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Batman sure has that thousand yard stare going on.

Must be because he saw his parents get shot as a kid

But my immediate thought on the camera test was why does Batman look like Sad Daredevil

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    WB: *only has success with bright, fun DC movies*

also WB: “Here’s a scary blood-toned Batman with guns!”

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Robert Pattinson, once he got that Twilight and Harry Potter money, has shown absolutely zero interest in being in a movie that's not weird.

So I wanna know what buckwild script they lured him in with.

Right? He's an excellent actor so I'm willing to give this movie a fair shot

Yeah, after seeing him in The Lighthouse I'm very down for this. The rumours that it was going to focus on a detective story combined with Pattinson's current penchant for weird shit has me intrigued.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It has now been 467 zero days since I've had the excuse to post this yet again:

https://youtu.be/pqv_LUStxDw

Someone needs to sync that up with the new video.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    All of the Snyder DC films have been hot garbage (in my opinion), but I enjoyed pretty much all of the non Snyder films.

Loved Wonder Woman. Loved Shazam. Loved Aquaman. Loved Joker. Loved Birds of Prey.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    All of the Snyder DC films have been hot garbage (in my opinion), but I enjoyed pretty much all of the non Snyder films.

Loved Wonder Woman. Loved Shazam. Loved Aquaman. Loved Joker. Loved Birds of Prey.

Even those I didn’t enjoy I still must admit were better than the Snyder films.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Joker's an exception for me since it presses my major cinematic pet peeve (movies that go out of their way to go THIS MEANS STUFF, MAN but the stuff it means is either pointless, trite, or non-existent). But yeah, even with the fluctuating quality at least the post-Synder films don't make me feel like I've been tied to a chair and beaten with an oar.

By that measure The Batman will probably also be better than Snyder, but whether it'll be "good" is anyone's guess.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Pattinson teaser would have been more interesting if it ended on Affleck punching him out and saying "I'm the goddamn Batman", but oh well. What might have been.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

It really helped that like 60% of the action from the final fights took place from, or near, Cassandra Cain's point of view. So you just saw goons and the birds fighting from panning action shots near her point of view. That entire climax fight scene was one of my favorite fight scenes in recent movies.

The police station fight scene reminded me of Terminator 1, just amped up to crazy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    As someone who hasn't seen a Batman movie since Dark Knight Rises which was somehow 8 goddamn years ago jesus christ, I'm pretty interested in Battinson especially if they're actually focusing on detective shit this time around.

Definitely like that they seem to be keeping the armoured style of suit as opposed to rubber muscles.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Even with the dumb-as-hell guns thing, the Patsuit looks so much better than Affleck’s “leotard made from old tires and two sizes too small” getup.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

But my immediate thought on the camera test was why does Batman look like Sad Daredevil

yeah but Daredevil's been Red Batman for like forty years so

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Is there a consensus on the Swamp Thing series that got axed? The set was released this week and I'm considering picking it up.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

yeah but Daredevil's been Red Batman for like forty years so

Huh. It’s almost like the same guy wrote both characters...

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I absolutely hate all the armored looking versions of the batsuit. I don't want my Batman to have to get into a fight where he needs something like that, he should be a detective and if engaging hostiles I'd prefer it to be like the docks scene in the first Nolan movie, all in shadow and singularly.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    holy crap

I'm sorry, but where do you see pieces of a gun in that picture? Much less the fact that said gun is the one that killed Bruce's parents.

sig.gif
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I absolutely hate all the armored looking versions of the batsuit. I don't want my Batman to have to get into a fight where he needs something like that, he should be a detective and if engaging hostiles I'd prefer it to be like the docks scene in the first Nolan movie, all in shadow and singularly.

honestly, the 3 second scene where the guy gets sucked into the shadowy trailer and you never see what happens to him is the best Batman movie. Just that 3 seconds

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Ideally they would treat the fight scenes for Batman movies more like the predator rooms from Arkham Asylum instead of just a brawl. There's usually an attempt to do that early on in the movies, but then they stop doing it and switch to fist fights.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The guns as chestplate thing was from the big milestone Detective Comics #1,000, by Kevin Smith and Jim Lee. Made last year.

Not trying to be comic snob but that's like the most barebones comic lore thing to choose.

I'm holding out judgement until I see if Pattinson actually even lifted, bro. If not just wear the Knightquest armor fo sho'

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

imo, the armoured look accomplishes 3 things:

- it makes Bruce not look like an idiot egotist by acknowledging there is risk of injury. he's fighting mooks with guns, he's gonna wear body armour just in case even if he knows he's capable of clowning them all
    - it allows for a more intimidating silhouette of Batman without having to get a pro wrestler body double or feed the actor every steroid in existence
    - it avoids the problem of spandex hero costumes looking absolutely stupid in real life no matter how much you lift

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited February 2020
    The spandex suits can work if you explain they're basically super suits (like Spidey's in the MCU). For really jacked heroes like Spidey or even Batman Beyond, the spandex look can work.

For Bats? I think IRL the armored look is the way to go. That being said the iconic look works ok for live action, it just has be done right. This fan film does the spandex, but adds that the cape, cowl and accent pieces are leather, which at least makes some sense (even if it would be heavy as shit).
    https://youtu.be/F5SLsnn8eYs

It does look like an Alex Ross painting come to life, especially the fact they had the actor wear white contacts to really sell that comic book look. Those are notoriously difficult to see in so acting is rough, but the look is undeniably Batman as fuck.

That being said for big budget movies, I'm fine with the Bat Armor. As long as it's not the thicc boi bat armor from BvS.

Local H Jay on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Is there a consensus on the Swamp Thing series that got axed? The set was released this week and I'm considering picking it up.

Everything I've heard is that it was really, really good and was killed by studio drama unrelated to the show.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.