As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need to make a picture larger without blur

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
I have a company logo I need to make bigger as I only have a small version.

How can I make an image larger without causing it to blur?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What's the file type?

If it's .jpg you basically can't.

• Options
    png

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    If the logo was made professionally, it would almost certainly would have been originally in a vector-based format (like .ai or .svg). Those can be made as large as you want without any loss in image quality.

.png isn't vector

If you can get access to a vector version of the logo, you're in luck. Otherwise it would have to be re-created.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Try using the "upload an image" function on Google image search, to see if there are any larger versions of it lurking online somewhere.

Alternatively, print the image using the highest printer quality settings possible, then take a picture of the printout with a good digital camera and use that. It won't be perfect, but it will definitely be better than trying to just digitally enlarge a low quality image.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »
    If the logo was made professionally, it would almost certainly would have been originally in a vector-based format (like .ai or .svg). Those can be made as large as you want without any loss in image quality.

.png isn't vector

If you can get access to a vector version of the logo, you're in luck. Otherwise it would have to be re-created.

There are also programs and online services that can convert jpgs and PNGs into vector images.
    It tends to work better with rather simple geometric shapes though.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    If the logo isn't too complicated, you can download GIMP and make a vector file yourself, using the original image as a template.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Calica wrote: »
    If the logo isn't too complicated, you can download GIMP and make a vector file yourself, using the original image as a template.

I've found that Inkscape is better than GIMP for vector images.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The various AI that can resize an image and free websites that do that but I am not too sure how well they will work on a logo. Vectorising your current image is probably best.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I have a company logo I need to make bigger as I only have a small version.

How can I make an image larger without causing it to blur?

So, like others say, you can't unless it's vector easily. Your options are:
    • With Illustrator/Gimp - draw the vector around the graphic so that you can scale it.
    • With Photoshop/Gimp - blow up the image and manually readjust the edges/coloration to be smooth and not blurry/jaggy (which, really, just draw the vector and save yourself time).
    • The CORRECT option - have your company reach out the the graphics team that made the vector and get a both a vector graphic and a 3000x3000 pixel, 600dpi version of the graphic so you can always have it available to scale down. If your graphics team isn't providing a dozen variations of the file in various formats and colorations (full color, halftone, greyscale, black only), they haven't completed the job. If that option isn't available, the company should spring to hire a new graphic designer to properly fix the situation as this is their branding we are talking about. You don't halfass your marketing.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I use Inkscape when vectorising images, it's decent at doing that if the image is simple enough and its free and not a big download so you might as well try it and see what happens.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I saw this the other day, and the quality blew my mind. They have a free, full-function (I believe) trial that you can download.

https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/

Not sure how it handles images that are more graphic (like logos), but it's worth a shot.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just curious, how complicated is the logo you're working with?
    If you don't have time to download or learn new tools, you may might be able to hire this out to one of our artists here, just ask them to create a vector image that can be scaled appropriately to your needs.
    Not sure what the going rate for that kind of work is, but I can't imagine it would be too steep since you're not asking for design work or anything where you'd be asking for revisions.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies.

No idea if there's a vector original or not. Asked if there is an original but haven't heard back yet. The logo was made long before I started there.

It isn't a complicated logo but more complicated than I can reproduce.

I'll look at the solutions you guys posted and see about making a vector copy.