As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I agree with SatanAsMyMotor, any questions regarding using a substance for anything other than recreationally should be outside the scope of this thread.

The H&A sub forum has some pretty strong rules regarding advice on medical and legal issues that aren’t seek a professional that I would think would carry over here.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Is CBD particularly dangerous? Self-medicating with alcohol is risky because of alcohol poisoning, liver damage, impaired driving, etc. Are there similar risks with using CBD? I was under the impression it was much safer than alcohol.

CBD has no known negative side effects, as far as I know, but it also has pretty much 0 for clinical trials.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah the clinical state of CBD is mostly "we haven't tried testing that yet"

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I googled it and found that CBD can apparently increase the effect of certain medications to the point of toxicity in the same way grapefruit does. Also there was something from two years ago about some people being removed from a CBD study because they had elevated liver enzymes in their blood, indicating liver damage.

Talking to a doctor before going heavy on the stuff is probably a good idea.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The sad truth is weed as a whole has been illegal for so long, there haven't been many studies on both helpful and harmful effects. CBD is new and assumed safe, but there has been about 0 studies on it. Same with marijuana, it's been illegal so why spend money on studies. I believe one college in the US is allowed to, but I could be wrong.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I just saw this in a Harvard Medical School article:
    There is moderate evidence that CBD can improve sleep disorders, fibromyalgia pain, muscle spasticity related to multiple sclerosis, and anxiety.

"The most benefit I have seen as a physician is in treating sleep disorders, anxiety, and pain," says Dr. Levy. "Many people report a definite response when it comes to anxiety." CBD also appears to have fewer side effects than other anxiety medications.

Source

I googled it and found that CBD can apparently increase the effect of certain medications to the point of toxicity in the same way grapefruit does. Also there was something from two years ago about some people being removed from a CBD study because they had elevated liver enzymes in their blood, indicating liver damage.

I'll go ahead and talk to my doctor about it, then.

RickRude wrote: »
    The sad truth is weed as a whole has been illegal for so long, there haven't been many studies on both helpful and harmful effects. CBD is new and assumed safe, but there has been about 0 studies on it. Same with marijuana, it's been illegal so why spend money on studies. I believe one college in the US is allowed to, but I could be wrong.

University of Michigan was the only place allowed to legally grow it, and other places wanting to do studies would have to buy their weed from them. Plus jump through a bunch of other hoops, like promising to not just smoke all the weed themselves.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

I did some more research and just found this:
    It’s also unclear what is dosage is necessary to see the anti-anxiety effects. Many studies used dosages of 300 to 400 milligrams per day, while most over-the-counter CBD products have labels that suggest 10 to 15 milligrams per day.

Source

For reference, I paid $80 for a 500 milligram bottle.

edited February 2020
    I did some more research and just found this:
    It’s also unclear what is dosage is necessary to see the anti-anxiety effects. Many studies used dosages of 300 to 400 milligrams per day, while most over-the-counter CBD products have labels that suggest 10 to 15 milligrams per day.

Source

For reference, I paid $80 for a 500 milligram bottle.

Is a 500mg per dosage bottle, or 500mg total CBD content. Because looking at a couple shops around here they've got "300mg" bottles for ~$40, but it also looks like the 300mg is a "serving".

Brody on

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

This is probably something I should have a look at vis a vis my current meds. Thanks for the info.

Edit: I’ll need to stay away from high-CBD strains as they increase the blood serum levels of cyclosporine.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    If we're going to talk general weed experiences, it feels like 80% the time weed helps me chill out and relax, while the other 20% it makes me obsessive about shitty things in my life and bums me out. Is that normal?
    TL;DR version: it's totally dependent on the strain, how it's taken, and how much.

Too much of any of those can easily go from "this is nice" to "oh fuck... um... I don't like this." The latter is especially true with edibles, because people see what appears to be a low dosage (not used to mg) and eat more than they can handle. Additionally, they don't wait 2 hours and start eating more, then they're way more fucked up than intended, and edibles last for a long time so that ride is going to be a rough one.

My one 'I'm not ready for this' story happened after trying a medical vape pen for the first time, indica blend. Relatives were visiting, house is asleep... it's way stronger than I was anticipating, and I took way too big of a draught. I sit down in an ez chair in pitch dark in my room, no big deal, I've handled this type of thing before...

I am now breaking out in a cold sweat, heart is racing, and I'm feeling 'bigger than the room' in a nearly dissociative way. I have to sneak out and get some fresh air, but no one must see me because none of my relatives know I am on medical weed.

I creep out of the house making hardly a noise, ducking behind cabinets in stealth mode like Tenchu the ninja.

After maybe 20 minutes of this I make it: I'm able to get a few deep breaths of outside, fresh air, before calming down enough to go back inside and fall asleep.
    Bullshit. Why is your opinion/experience more valid than anybody else's? My point isn't that Hexmage should listen to my experience - it's that they should consult a professional. Me talking about my "experience" isn't about me not thinking it's effective, it's that I've done the research and, while there are some apparent benefits, they are by and large inconclusive.

There's no need for silly grandstanding about the effects of these drugs. If somebody is asking about treatment for something as important as mental health they should be talking to a professional and not a bunch of people on the internet.

At no point have I said CBD is bad. It helps a lot of people. But most of those people didn't get there by posting on a forum about it.

If you want medical advice or opinions you go see a doctor. Full stop.

What's far more dangerous is pushing somebody to use something (a controlled substance to boot) they have no experience with as a means of treating a serious illness absent professional insight.

At the end of the day Hexmage asked about TREATMENT for anxiety.

Just, generally speaking, talking to each other is helpful.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    If I wanted to be on a ship I would have joined whatever branch of the military has those.

Don't literally all of the branches have ships?

Negative, all the ships the Marine Corps rides in are Navy ships. Unless you're referencing LAVs or AAVs but those are amphibious vehicles and would probably classify as a boat instead of ship. I don't know if you'd count LCACs as a ship but those are also Navy vehicles.

edited February 2020
    So my doctor is on board with me trying CBD oil for my anxiety (although he also seems very skeptical of its efficacy; I didn't tell him I'd already tried some).

I am worried about the possibility of it showing up on a drug test if I have to take one, though.

Hexmage-PA on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    A couple articles I found from googling say that the small amounts of THC found in a lot of CBD products will show up on drug tests, so that's a bummer.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Unless the test is specifically for CBD, you shouldn’t have to worry. When I was a PO we tested for THC metabolite, and all testing save for one specific test does the same.

Edit: It could be that I’m wrong though, as WhiteZinfandel has pointed out.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    There is cbd oil endorsed by MLB baseball players (That or they were working on it) to show it had low levels of THC for drug tests. Not sure what brand

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    It is still surreal to me that New Jersey is going to have legalization via state constitutional amendment on the ballot this year.

Hopefully we don't screw it up.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    It is still surreal to me that New Jersey is going to have legalization via state constitutional amendment on the ballot this year.

Are any of the cannabis groups lobbying the public against it for shortfalls or poison in the amendment?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Are any of the cannabis groups lobbying the public against it for shortfalls or poison in the amendment?

Last I heard the amendment is a little vague but not malicious.

The groups will come out of the woodwork (again) closer to election time but there is nothing to keep the amendment off now

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Sleep wrote: »

With new jersey I'm sure there's some fuckery.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Is CBD particularly dangerous? Self-medicating with alcohol is risky because of alcohol poisoning, liver damage, impaired driving, etc. Are there similar risks with using CBD? I was under the impression it was much safer than alcohol.

It is poorly studied. I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s completely harmless - virtually every compound we ingest has some kind of side effect or potential for harm.

I would also be wary of taking significant amounts of it from an unregulated source - it’s basically as sketchy as buying those packets of vitamins that they sell at convenience store counters

It is probably useful for treating certain things, but that’s not really supported by any clinical data (yet).

It is poorly studied. I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s completely harmless - virtually every compound we ingest has some kind of side effect or potential for harm.

I would also be wary of taking significant amounts of it from an unregulated source - it’s basically as sketchy as buying those packets of vitamins that they sell at convenience store counters

It is probably useful for treating certain things, but that’s not really supported by any clinical data (yet).

Except for epilepsy.

Brody wrote: »

Except for epilepsy.

Even so, what he's saying is correct. I see stores selling cbd, and it's this brown nasty looking shit compared to what I see in the medical stores. And 3X the price. I'm not sure I trust any of these cbd resellers tjat are popping up.

Like I said one company is looking at MLB players for sponsors, if they have one, tjats about as legit as you can get. I want ypnteust ricky Williams (football) and RVD (wrestling) who both sell cbd but shit is the wild west right now honestly.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

University of Michigan was the only place allowed to legally grow it, and other places wanting to do studies would have to buy their weed from them. Plus jump through a bunch of other hoops, like promising to not just smoke all the weed themselves.

"Our study aims to monitor the effects of getting really high all the time on completing a masters or PhD."

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

"Our study aims to monitor the effects of getting really high all the time on completing a masters or PhD."

Jeez, I hope these scientists are finally able to convince young people of the dangers. I was a daily smoker and I barely graduated top in my class from my MBA, and now I'm just scraping by as an executive.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats

Except for epilepsy.

Even so, what he's saying is correct. I see stores selling cbd, and it's this brown nasty looking shit compared to what I see in the medical stores. And 3X the price. I'm not sure I trust any of these cbd resellers tjat are popping up.

Like I said one company is looking at MLB players for sponsors, if they have one, tjats about as legit as you can get. I want ypnteust ricky Williams (football) and RVD (wrestling) who both sell cbd but shit is the wild west right now honestly.

I mean, sure, buying something off the counter of the gas station is always super sketchy. But there are prescriptions for what iirc is synthetic CBD to help with epilepsy.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Except for epilepsy.

I mean, sure, buying something off the counter of the gas station is always super sketchy. But there are prescriptions for what iirc is synthetic CBD to help with epilepsy.

RED BULL IS GOOD FOR ME

edited February 2020
    edit:nvm

Brody on

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) was the only place legally allowed to grow marijuana for about 50 years, not Michigan.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble getting a straight answer. What are the steps to apply for a MM card in Missouri?

Cross posting from coronaviris hmthread think it belong in both

So the little girl who inspired the creation and naming of the high cbd strain Charlotte web has died due to the corona virus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/09/girl-who-inspired-charlottes-web-marijuana-oil-dies/5120478002/

Willie Nelson will he holding and online smoking session with various guests on YouTube 420 at 420cst. There's a competition to have a video of you passing a joint left which will get passed to Willie also. I would expect a few stars to show up.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    :3

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting a straight answer. What are the steps to apply for a MM card in Missouri?
    Not sure if this helps, but how about the official mo.gov site? https://health.mo.gov/safety/medical-marijuana/how-to-apply-pi.php

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited April 2020
    I found out this weekend after completing my firearms safety course (don't worry; it was an authorized online course) that as soon as you get a Medical Marijuana card, you waive your 2nd amendment rights. The exact wording of the purchase application is
    Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance ?
    Even if your state has legalized medical or recreational marijuana, and included in their laws that doing so should not preclude you from any basic right, federal law trumps state law and you could be in violation of federal laws.

As a recreational user, you can skirt this easily. As a MMJ card holder, you cannot and doing otherwise could be perjury. I'm not a gun nut, but that's pretty fucked up.

Le_Goat on
    I found out this weekend after completing my firearms safety course (don't worry; it was an authorized online course) that as soon as you get a Medical Marijuana card, you waive your 2nd amendment rights. The exact wording of the purchase application is
    Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance ?
    Even if your state has legalized medical or recreational marijuana, and included in their laws that doing so should not preclude you from any basic right, federal law trumps state law and you could be in violation of federal laws.

As a recreational user, you can skirt this easily. As a MMJ card holder, you cannot and doing otherwise could be perjury. I'm not a gun nut, but that's pretty fucked up.

Even in California where it's legal, you at least lose your rights to concealed carry but I'm pretty sure you lose rights to guns all together. The owner of the pot shop owns the gun shop and doesn't smoke because of their guns.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I mean, damn near every marijuana user in the country is 100% in violation of federal laws, right?

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Note present tense in the question.

Why can't you just stop using MM and and then tick the "I don't use marijuana" box or whatever with no risk of perjury?

Having a driving license does not mean you actually drive.

Special K wrote: »

Note present tense in the question.

Why can't you just stop using MM and and then tick the "I don't use marijuana" box or whatever with no risk of perjury?

Having a driving license does not mean you actually drive.
    From a recreational standpoint, I would agree. However, the MMJ card is in the state database, which kind of makes you by default a "user." So you have a federal check and a state check. While I'm fairly sure that the feds don't have access to the MMJ program registry (I'm pretty sure it was setup that way by design), I think the state can run their check against the MMJ registry. However, I think this only applies to the purchase of firearms and not the acquisition of an LTC itself.

I have wondered if I can forfeit my MMJ, get the LTC, make said purchase, and then re-enlist the MMJ. I'm not sure what that would do to my MMJ registration, though. Worst case scenario, I'd rather have my MMJ than LTC. In my situation, pain and comfort supersedes owning a weapon. I still don't like how the fed is handling this, though.