As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    If you are literally injured by the person in front of you reclining their seat, you should probably be seeking extra accommodation from the airlines like obese people have.

Maybe you could be moved to a emergency exit row that is slightly larger, or another one of the aisles that is right behind business class that is also slightly roomier, or perhaps pay to upgrade your fare.

For armrests I have always had the opinion that the aisle seat should have both of theirs, and other seats get the armrest away from the aisle. But that mostly has to do with the fact that utilizing the aisle armrest is going to leave you with a bruise from the drink carts.

Or maybe the airlines should be regulated into providing enough space for everyone's literal, rigid bones to occupy without injury.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The only time it's really great to be a short, small woman is airlines. I always have plenty of space! Sorry men.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As someone who is 6’3”, I don’t need to do anything to have someone pick a fight with my knees. I strive to generally be courteous about the whole thing, and usually prefer to remain upright myself, but especially for long flights, I just hope we can all remain decent and civilized about these things.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm 6' 1" and fly at least four times a year, and I've never felt that someone reclining in front of me has been a problem. The worst it's done is made the tablet screen a bit difficult to view. If you're having so much space problems, you should talk to your employer about upgrading your seats to one with a bit more leg room. Also check your travel policy, as it may already be a part of the policy.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that when sitting in an airplane seat that reclines, you should be able to recline it. And if someone behind me asked me not to do it, I wouldn't.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I'm 6' 1" and fly at least four times a year, and I've never felt that someone reclining in front of me has been a problem. The worst it's done is made the tablet screen a bit difficult to view. If you're having so much space problems, you should talk to your employer about upgrading your seats to one with a bit more leg room. Also check your travel policy, as it may already be a part of the policy.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that when sitting in an airplane seat that reclines, you should be able to recline it. And if someone behind me asked me not to do it, I wouldn't.

Yeah I feel like people in this thread are being way too theoretically principled on the issue when in real life, most of us would just talk it out if it was a real issue. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect to be able to recline your seat, because you paid for your seat and it reclines. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ask the person in front of you not to do so, particularly if the seat is physically pushing into them when it reclines. (And all the other cases we haven't discussed - such as when I need to recline my seat because my back literally can't take the standard position for more than 15 minutes without spazzing out on me.)

Again, the main issue here is that we get so little space in these seats to begin with that a 3-inch recline becomes the difference between a comfortable flight and a painful one.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm six feet, fly somewhere in the realm of 150-300 flights a year, and never felt compelled to make an issue over somebody leaning their chair back, no matter how many times I've been in coach or had a chair hit my knees. I've also never witnessed anyone losing their shit over somebody reclining their chair, because the vast vast vast majority of people just don't give a shit or are courteous enough to recognize everyone is in a shared space and some adjustments need to be made.

Fine, there are outliers where it's a real issue, but I guarantee you're in the extreme minority based on a sample size of several hundred flights over the last few years, throughout the continental US. If it's that much an issue, pay for the premium seats with extra legroom or don't fly. Reclining seats aren't going anywhere for a long time, not for a teeny sliver of the population for whom the seats are a real problem.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Just to throw my hat into the ring, I’m 6’4” and nearly all legs and when someone reclines back it does indeed crush my legs. My knees to be precise. However, the person ahead of me does not know this and I would let them know that I injured my knees and legs in the military and what they are doing is hurting me. If they wouldn’t listen, I’d try to get a flight attendant to help move me or them to another spot, if possible. I haven’t flown in over 20 years, so it is more than likely worse now. But those seats are damn near uncomfortable as is and really shouldn’t recline at all with so little space available.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Are you guys mainly talking about domestic flights? Because I've never noticed seats being as cramped as you're describing but I'm only really used to long haul.

The domestic flights I have done generally don't have reclining seats though.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2020
    US domestic flights are some of the most uncomfortable I've ever taken.
    Australian ones never seem as bad.

Edit: though the least comfortable plane I've ever been on was an Etihad flight where they'd done a refit to fit two extra seats across the plane in economy, and I barely fit between the armrests. And I'm not the tiniest person but even at its worst my arse is a solid medium. Truly awful.

Double edit: meanwhile on the flight I am on right this minute I managed to snag the row just behind business class. Check out this fucking legroom!

gppbckpyflyl.jpg

tynic on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Being short and skinny, and hardly ever taking planes, this has never been a problem for me, and will most likely never be, BUT I would still bitch about reclining, on principle. I might complain pre-emptively, just to let people know beforehand what my stance is. What is that? No need to call the air Marshall, Ill walk myself out.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the woman involved is wanting to press charges against the guy, and wants the flight attendant fired.

She might want to read how people are viewing her at the moment.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Are you guys mainly talking about domestic flights? Because I've never noticed seats being as cramped as you're describing but I'm only really used to long haul.

The domestic flights I have done generally don't have reclining seats though.

Pretty sure it's a domestic flight thing. International flights tend to be pricier so likely not under as much pressure to keep ticket costs from rising too much and would get a lot more complaints about being too cramped if people needed to sleep.
    So, the woman involved is wanting to press charges against the guy, and wants the flight attendant fired.

This is one of those issues where many people with strong opinions seem to overestimate how universal their stance is. And many of those seem to get indignant on discovering others disagree with them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I mean, in this particular case, I'm on her side. That guy clearly want too passive to speak up or anything.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that guy was being an extreme asshole, doubly so for the fact that they look like they're in first class or something. He had plenty of space and just decided he's going to keep hitting the lady's chair to teach her a lesson or some shit.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the guy ended up on a no-fly list at least temporarily, because he obviously is not capable of behaving in a civil way when flying and nobody else should have to put up with that. Also don't know how the flight attendant would think it justifiable to reward the guy for hitting the lady's seat, then reprimand the woman for it as well. Don't see how she could press charges, though, and I doubt that will be enough to get the attendant fired (which is probably a good thing).

Even though there might be more than that little chunk of video to explain the situation, it's still completely unjustifiable that the guy decided to be a child and just start hitting her seat endlessly while muttering at her.

• DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that guy was being an extreme asshole, doubly so for the fact that they look like they're in first class or something. He had plenty of space and just decided he's going to keep hitting the lady's chair to teach her a lesson or some shit.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the guy ended up on a no-fly list at least temporarily, because he obviously is not capable of behaving in a civil way when flying and nobody else should have to put up with that. Also don't know how the flight attendant would think it justifiable to reward the guy for hitting the lady's seat, then reprimand the woman for it as well. Don't see how she could press charges, though, and I doubt that will be enough to get the attendant fired (which is probably a good thing).

Even though there might be more than that little chunk of video to explain the situation, it's still completely unjustifiable that the guy decided to be a child and just start hitting her seat endlessly while muttering at her.

No-fly lists are a permanent ban from flying meant to keep known terrorists from boarding any commercial airliner, and it's meant as a last line of defense against hijacking and terrorist attacks. There is no such thing as a 2 week no-fly-timeout or something.

Once you're on, you and all your namesakes will be barred from international travel forever, there are no appeals, and it does not expire. It is a drastic, draconian method of questionable usefulness that causes quite a lot of harm, as it takes the shotgun approach: Better to hit far and wide, and hope you get your target with it.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Next time someone puts their leg into my space on a flight I'm going to punch them repeatedly. Not hard or anything just to say I'm annoyed.

That's ok with you right?

Guessing not?

Why is this different.

kime wrote: »

I mean, in this particular case, I'm on her side. That guy clearly want too passive to speak up or anything.

Except that he did actually speak up, as she herself actually admitted:

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Initially: Both sides are bad. Seat hitting guy is worse.
    Now: Pressing charges is fucking dumb and chill out lady.

Also "with an attitude" is all kinds of red flags.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Error. I'm still not seeing where she was wrong? He asked her to put it up while he was eating. She did.

After eating, she put it back down...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Error. I'm still not seeing where she was wrong? He asked her to put it up while he was eating. She did.

After eating, she put it back down...

And then the guy was a complete dick.

edited February 2020
    VishNub wrote: »

She has pre existing spine damage. I'm guessing being hit in the back even through a seat was *not* pleasant.

Phoenix-D on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

She has pre existing spine damage. I'm guessing being hit in the back even through a seat was *not* pleasant.

I was not aware of that detail

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Don't want to sound like I side with the punchy dude in this (I lean my seat at least some of the way back), but;
    Apparently not so unpleasant she just stood up instead of just sitting there filming it.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I think the part of the new development that looks bad to people is hoping to get the flight attendant fired. An apology and compensation, given pre-existing injury, are reasonable. Wanting someone else who had to make a call on incomplete information to suffer is less so.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

I think the part of the new development that looks bad to people is hoping to get the flight attendant fired. An apology and compensation, given pre-existing injury, are reasonable. Wanting someone else who had to make a call on incomplete information to suffer is less so.

Yeah I kinda feel that "successfully diffused situation" ranks higher on a flight attendant's job than "perfectly handed out justice in accordance with governing laws of the sky".

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thro wrote: »

Yeah I kinda feel that "successfully diffused situation" ranks higher on a flight attendant's job than "perfectly handed out justice in accordance with governing laws of the sky".

Yeah, it seems weird to give the asshole a prize for his behaviour but from the flight attendants perspective the only goal here is to diffuse the situation long enough for the plane to land so they don't have to deal with these idiots anymore.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's the same reason that people who whine at the restaurant get their meal comped even though everyone knows they just want the free meal. It's cheaper and easier to just give them what they want then to cause a scene and ruin things for everyone else.

I'm of the opinion that hitting the chair in front of you is not an acceptable recourse unless you are being physically injured or in serious danger. Asking someone to pull their seat for a specific purpose, and then having them recline their seat again when you are finished, should have been an acceptable outcome. Your justification was eating a meal. You finished the meal. Hence there is no longer any reason for the other person to continue leaving their seat up. If you wanted them to keep their seat up for the duration of the flight then ask them for that. Giving a temporary reason and then expecting permanent results is socially immature behavior and logically nonsensical besides.

The seat reclines. If it wasn't acceptable to recline the seat, then the airline shouldn't allow the seats to recline.

Here are the rules of being an asshole:
    1. Being right doesn't mean you get to be an asshole.
    2. Someone else being an asshole to you doesn't mean you get to be an asshole.
    3. Don't be an asshole.

The second this guys started hitting her seat, he became an asshole. This is the kind of behavior you expect from small children, not grown adults.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You hang out here often, officer?

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So he's filming instead of helping? People these fucking days.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

A lot of police in the US are like wasps, they will sting you because THEY are having a bad day

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    BMW demonstrates how not to handle a traffic circle

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Them Duke boys are at it again.

sig.gif

A lot of police in the US are like wasps, they will sting you because THEY are having a bad day

I'd help the guy if he was clearly in trouble or something, but yeah, it's just not worth the risk of helping him out. You might be lucky and he might be a regular guy, or he might be a militant asshole who instigates a situation that puts you in a hospital, puts him on paid vacation, and you spend the next five years recovering from major physical injury while trying to sue the police precinct for keeping a psychopath employed.

The guy has a radio and probably a cell phone as well, let him get over his ego and call for help.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Them Duke boys are at it again.

Ya everytime it hits the boulder and launches I heard that theme

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Pretty great example of why roundabouts are about a thousand times better than four-way intersections. Given that the driver didn't even notice the roundabout, they would've blasted through stop signs at max speeds until they inevitably hit another car and injured/killed somebody. Instead, the roundabout ate up most of the crash energy and there was minor damage to other parked vehicles, and even the driver was unharmed.

Really, the roundabout should've been even more built-up to do more to stop a stupid driver, but I guess the builders did not reasonably expect somebody flying through a neighborhood at a hundred MPH.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Pretty great example of why roundabouts are about a thousand times better than four-way intersections. Given that the driver didn't even notice the roundabout, they would've blasted through stop signs at max speeds until they inevitably hit another car and injured/killed somebody. Instead, the roundabout ate up most of the crash energy and there was minor damage to other parked vehicles, and even the driver was unharmed.

Really, the roundabout should've been even more built-up to do more to stop a stupid driver, but I guess the builders did not reasonably expect somebody flying through a neighborhood at a hundred MPH.

I'm sure that boulder has had this dream every day tho, that boulder was so happy.

edit: dammit now I need a version with stick arms and googly eyes on the boulder

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That video is one reason why over here we tend to build up the center of roundabouts. I’m talking a brick wall at least 2 feet tall, substantial landscaping inside the circle. One i know of just has a 6 foot high mound of dirt inside a brick wall. It’s not pretty but nobody is launching off of it.

The other thing we've started doing is to introduce artificial curves into the approach, to force a slowdown.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Roundabouts can be a problem for emergency service vehicles in the US. They often have to cut into the center area which is why they are sometimes not built up to allow this.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah i should clarify we usually have a bit of a raised lip so semitrucks and fire engines can negotiate the turn, but the very center is built up

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.