As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Congressional Investigations Into Trump White House

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The Dobbs stuff is a good sign, but the 3am tweet storm will be the real tell.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Say something so everyone has something they can point to and say ‘See? I told you I was right.’

That’s what is most important to most people.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I feel like I've reached the episode where they put Crichton in a sim for the second time, not to try to convince him that it's real, but to fuck with his head so thoroughly he can't tell what is anymore.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Fucking John Kelly is defending LT. COL vinnmen(?)

Vindman.

It's possible for Kelly to be awful, while ALSO having just enough integrity to be pissed off at the mewling draft-dodger for shit-talkng a Purple Heart recipient for doing his job/duty.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/barr-pushes-back-against-trumps-criticism-of-justice-dept-says-tweets-make-it-impossible-for-me-to-do-my-job/2020/02/13/7ff5f308-4e7c-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html
    Separately, Barr tapped U.S. Attorney John Durham in Connecticut to investigate whether any crimes were committed by FBI and CIA officials in the pursuit of allegations in 2016 that Russia interfered in the election to benefit Trump’s campaign.

After learning that the Huber investigation is not likely to produce charges, Trump has become more insistent that Durham finish his work soon, according to people familiar with the discussions. Trump, these people said, wants to be able to use whatever Durham finds as a cudgel in his reelection campaign.

All of that frustration has fed into the public fight over the Stone case.
    People close to Barr said that the tweet of praise frustrated the attorney general because it further cemented the public notion that the attorney general was doing Trump’s bidding on the Stone case.
    He just can't stop being corrupt.

Also, Barr is doing Trump's bidding.

Couscous on
    Remember how Trump had nothing to do with Giuliani going to Ukraine and how that was an obvious lie that some people pretended to believe?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/13/politics/trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-interview/index.html
    Washington(CNN) Emboldened after his impeachment acquittal, President Donald Trump now openly admits to sending his attorney Rudy Giuliani to Ukraine to find damaging information about his political opponents, even though he strongly denied it during the impeachment inquiry.

The reversal came Thursday in a podcast interview Trump did with journalist Geraldo Rivera, who asked, "Was it strange to send Rudy Giuliani to Ukraine, your personal lawyer? Are you sorry you did that?" Trump responded, "No, not at all," and praised Giuliani's role as a "crime fighter."

"Here's my choice: I deal with the Comeys of the world, or I deal with Rudy," Trump said, referring to former FBI Director James Comey. Trump explained that he has "a very bad taste" of the US intelligence community, because of the Russia investigation, so he turned to Giuliani.

"So when you tell me, why did I use Rudy, and one of the things about Rudy, number one, he was the best prosecutor, you know, one of the best prosecutors, and the best mayor," Trump said. "But also, other presidents had them. FDR had a lawyer who was practically, you know, was totally involved with government. Eisenhower had a lawyer. They all had lawyers."

Trump had previously denied that he sent Giuliani to Ukraine. Asked in November if he directed Giuliani to "do anything" in Ukraine, Trump said, "No, I didn't direct him," but went on to call Giuliani a "great corruption fighter." Giuliani says he's exposing legitimate corruption in Ukraine, even though his claims about former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden have been widely debunked.

In the new interview, Trump defended the decision to "use" Giuliani, even though US diplomats previously testified that Giuliani had undermined long-standing US policy toward Ukraine.
    Really could go with another few impeachments

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Remember how Trump had nothing to do with Giuliani going to Ukraine and how that was an obvious lie that some people pretended to believe?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/13/politics/trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-interview/index.html
    Washington(CNN) Emboldened after his impeachment acquittal, President Donald Trump now openly admits to sending his attorney Rudy Giuliani to Ukraine to find damaging information about his political opponents, even though he strongly denied it during the impeachment inquiry.

The reversal came Thursday in a podcast interview Trump did with journalist Geraldo Rivera, who asked, "Was it strange to send Rudy Giuliani to Ukraine, your personal lawyer? Are you sorry you did that?" Trump responded, "No, not at all," and praised Giuliani's role as a "crime fighter."

"Here's my choice: I deal with the Comeys of the world, or I deal with Rudy," Trump said, referring to former FBI Director James Comey. Trump explained that he has "a very bad taste" of the US intelligence community, because of the Russia investigation, so he turned to Giuliani.

"So when you tell me, why did I use Rudy, and one of the things about Rudy, number one, he was the best prosecutor, you know, one of the best prosecutors, and the best mayor," Trump said. "But also, other presidents had them. FDR had a lawyer who was practically, you know, was totally involved with government. Eisenhower had a lawyer. They all had lawyers."

Trump had previously denied that he sent Giuliani to Ukraine. Asked in November if he directed Giuliani to "do anything" in Ukraine, Trump said, "No, I didn't direct him," but went on to call Giuliani a "great corruption fighter." Giuliani says he's exposing legitimate corruption in Ukraine, even though his claims about former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden have been widely debunked.

In the new interview, Trump defended the decision to "use" Giuliani, even though US diplomats previously testified that Giuliani had undermined long-standing US policy toward Ukraine.

Yeah, Ike's Secretary of State was John Foster Dulles and all he did was design an airport.

Wait...

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Barr's comment is just theater

Theater for who?

An overly credulous media

This is absolutely true

The question on my mind is if Barr understands that in this post-impeachment world Trump no longer needs him and faces zero consequences from ousting him. It doesn't matter if you know where the bodies are buried if Trump can't be held accountable. If Barr was smart he'd be constantly manufacturing wins for Trump that only Barr can provide. If he's not, well it's only a matter of time before someone convinces Trump to throw him under the bus. There are zero checks on Trump's power until November apparently, and that means his allies are even more vulnerable to Trump's whims than before

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Theater for who?

This is absolutely true

The question on my mind is if Barr understands that in this post-impeachment world Trump no longer needs him and faces zero consequences from ousting him. It doesn't matter if you know where the bodies are buried if Trump can't be held accountable. If Barr was smart he'd be constantly manufacturing wins for Trump that only Barr can provide. If he's not, well it's only a matter of time before someone convinces Trump to throw him under the bus. There are zero checks on Trump's power until November apparently, and that means his allies are even more vulnerable to Trump's whims than before

If I'm Barr, then I'm making it clear that I own him between now and november since It would be a real shame if everything I've been covering up for trump becomes public knowledge.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    No shit talk from Trump = this is staged theater.

Which surprises me, because if true, it means that there are instances where Trump's self-preservatory instincts can occasionally override his insecure narcissism.

I'd say we'll know for if Trump stays quiet about it, but it does make me raise an eyebrow that this was communicated through an aide rather than Trump's own mouth on Twitter.

Look how fast he responded to John Kelly today.

But, at the same time everyone who’s been fired by Trump has had his “full support” before finding out they were out on their ass.

Yeah

I can never not read “full faith and confidence” as “we’re writing up the resignation letter now”

But that may just be my experience with UK politics

fuck gendered marketing
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    No shit talk from Trump = this is staged theater.

Which surprises me, because if true, it means that there are instances where Trump's self-preservatory instincts can occasionally override his insecure narcissism.

I'd say we'll know for if Trump stays quiet about it, but it does make me raise an eyebrow that this was communicated through an aide rather than Trump's own mouth on Twitter.

Look how fast he responded to John Kelly today.

But, at the same time everyone who’s been fired by Trump has had his “full support” before finding out they were out on their ass.

Yeah

I can never not read “full faith and confidence” as “we’re writing up the resignation letter now”

But that may just be my experience with UK politics

It's like that anywhere. If they actually had full faith and confidence, they wouldn't have to say it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Theater for who?

This is absolutely true

If I'm Barr, then I'm making it clear that I own him between now and november since It would be a real shame if everything I've been covering up for trump becomes public knowledge.

Would it? How has that worked out so far, Trump's crimes coming to light?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    The fact that Barr is Trump's bagman and a GOP fixer has kept Trump out of a cell.

An independent DOJ could tear up that bullshit memo and fit Trump for some handcuffs.

Barr could muzzle Trump and the GOP anytime he wants because they're all guilty of something and he's the top cop.

He won't because authoritarians/conservatives tend not to think that way and only know how to punch down.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    It's not outside the realm of possibility that some of these people have drank the koolaid.

I know it's more comforting to think people in power are at least out for themselves (money, power, protection, whatever) rather than the alternative that is they truly support and will follow Trump to the steppes of Mordor because he's their saviour.

I think the latter is true in more cases than we might expect.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    moniker wrote: »

Yeah, Ike's Secretary of State was John Foster Dulles and all he did was design an airport.

Wait...

JF and his little brother Allen did a staggering amount of damage to world politics in 7 short years, and they actually knew what they were doing.

I can only imagine the havoc a similar Trump tandem could do if he got one of his chucklefucks in charge of clandestine services.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/us/politics/durham-cia-russia.html
    Justice Dept. Is Investigating C.I.A. Resistance to Sharing Russia Secrets
    Mr. Durham appears to be pursuing a theory that the C.I.A., under its former director John O. Brennan, had a preconceived notion about Russia or was trying to get to a particular result — and was nefariously trying to keep other agencies from seeing the full picture lest they interfere with that goal, the people said.

But officials from the F.B.I. and the National Security Agency have told Mr. Durham and his investigators that such an interpretation is wrong and based on a misunderstanding of how the intelligence community functions, the people said.
    National security officials are typically cautious about sharing their most delicate information, like source identities, even with other agencies inside the executive branch.

Mr. Durham’s questioning is certain to add to accusations that Mr. Trump is using the Justice Department to go after his perceived enemies, like Mr. Brennan, who has been an outspoken critic of the president. Mr. Barr, who is overseeing the investigation, has come under attack in recent days over senior Justice Department officials’ intervention to lighten a prison sentencing recommendation by lower-level prosecutors for Mr. Trump’s longtime friend Roger J. Stone Jr.
    One problem in making sense of these disputes between the intelligence agencies nearly four years later, several people said, is that officials did not caveat their emails with detailed descriptions of their motivations and rationales for balking. That has left the messages open to multiple potential readings.

The analysts could have been engaged in standard bureaucratic behavior like obeying the filtering process or hoarding sensitive information. Or perhaps they were trying to cover something up. The questions asked by Mr. Durham and his team suggest they are looking for any potential basis to support making the latter reading, officials said.
    I am pretty sure Trump doing that is something well confirmed now.

There is a good chance it is not a misunderstanding and just willful ignorance from Durham. If Durham is actually doing his job properly and thinks saying that there wasn't any wrongdoing after a thorough investigation will satisfy Trump, he is dreadfully wrong. Trump will take one or two lines featuring anything remotely improper from any report Durham makes and make it into a huge controversy or just make crud up and say it says things it didn't say.

Wait...

JF and his little brother Allen did a staggering amount of damage to world politics in 7 short years, and they actually knew what they were doing.

I can only imagine the havoc a similar Trump tandem could do if he got one of his chucklefucks in charge of clandestine services.

Congress even reacted to the nepotism by passing laws meant to make it harder to do because people considered the nepotism a bad thing.

• BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular

Theater for who?

This is absolutely true

Impossible. In Trump's mind, any and all wins are because Trump is awesome, has the best genes, is the bestest of the best, etc. Others are only useful scapegoats if the win doesn't materialize.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Someone explain to me why the Giuliani admission is not non-stop news and why we haven't slammed another impeachment through

The fucking arrogance of this coward has its own gravitational pull

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Someone explain to me why the Giuliani admission is not non-stop news and why we haven't slammed another impeachment through

Because the Senate has stated very clearly that they are convinced of Trump's guilt and unwilling to convict. So it would be pointless. And Democrats need the media space to conduct the primaries.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Because the Senate has stated very clearly that they are convinced of Trump's guilt and unwilling to convict. So it would be pointless.

The fig leaf the GOP his behind was that there was no evidence. Now we have a confession, because Trump is an idiot who thinks double-jeopardy applies. Rub their goddamn noses in it. Make them explicitly admit that suborning foreign influence in an election is acceptable.

uH3IcEi.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Because the Senate has stated very clearly that they are convinced of Trump's guilt and unwilling to convict. So it would be pointless.

The fig leaf the GOP his behind was that there was no evidence. Now we have a confession, because Trump is an idiot who thinks double-jeopardy applies. Rub their goddamn noses in it. Make them explicitly admit that suborning foreign influence in an election is acceptable.

No they clearly thought there was evidence. they outright said they didn't care

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Figgy wrote: »

Theater for who?

This is absolutely true

Yeah Barr would just become the latest disloyalist, another Democrat-in-hiding trying to take down their King.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Theater for who?

This is absolutely true

Yeah Barr would just become the latest disloyalist, another Democrat-in-hiding trying to take down their King.

Just like those traitorous Democrats, John Bolton and Steve Bannon.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

The thing is, removing the fig leaf doesn't actually change the opinion of any of these GOP people. The idea Trump had nothing to do with Giuliani's actions was always farcical. And, he just gave them another fig leaf as he took the last one away: "I had to do this to work around the Deep State operatives like Comey".

And finally, his base simply doesn't care. Actually, scratch that, they do care, and think all this is great. He's draining the swamp, cutting through Washington Red Tape. If he has to break a few rules do to it? Well, that's why they elected such a strong leader willing to fight the system! He's doing what they want.

Their opinions do not swing on the subtle nuances of what there is/isn't evidence for and who admitted what. A "revelation" like this means less than nothing for them.
    Atomika wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Theater for who?

This is absolutely true

Just like those traitorous Democrats, John Bolton and Steve Bannon.
    Don't forget John Kelly!

Funny how many members of Trump's hand-picked staff turn out to be "Deep State" operatives. The cognitive dissonance doesn't even register with his supporters, of course.

Senna1 on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The Dobbs stuff is a good sign, but the 3am tweet storm will be the real tell.

Fox Business News is "the OCHO" of cable news. I wouldn't expect much based on Dobbs

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    RAGE OVER

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    And, as always, the gentlemanly theater is interrupted by the ultimate un-gentleman:

Trump declares 'legal right' to seek intervention in criminal cases (Washington Post)

The 5:30 am tweet:
    “The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.” A.G. Barr This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Overheard from somewhere, "He really doesn't know when to just shut up and take the win!"

So true... and maybe our only chance.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    And, as always, the gentlemanly theater is interrupted by the ultimate un-gentleman:

Trump declares 'legal right' to seek intervention in criminal cases (Washington Post)

“The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.” A.G. Barr This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!

L'etat c'est moi

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

L'etat c'est moi

Lady justice has been fired. It's trump justice now.

steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

L'etat c'est moi

Let's take him to the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles and see if all the angles of perfection reflecting back at him freeze him in place and he starves basking in his own perceived glory.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    Overheard from somewhere, "He really doesn't know when to just shut up and take the win!"

So true... and maybe our only chance.

Actually he's just using a standard method of power grabbing similar to the "just joking" bigotry creep.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Shockingly, Federal Prosecutors have found that they don’t have any evidence against Andrew McCabe that would stand up in a trial and therefore will not be charging him. From the Associated Press:

BREAKING: Federal prosecutors decline to charge former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, closing an investigation into whether he lied to federal officials about his involvement in a news media disclosure.

Some are wondering if the timing of this announcement is a deliberate attempt by the DOJ to distance itself from Trump. If so we’ll have to see if he’s able to shut up about it or if he goes into a rage and demands they prosecute him anyway.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Shockingly, Federal Prosecutors have found that they don’t have any evidence against Andrew McCabe that would stand up in a trial and therefore will not be charging him. From the Associated Press:

BREAKING: Federal prosecutors decline to charge former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, closing an investigation into whether he lied to federal officials about his involvement in a news media disclosure.

Some are wondering if the timing of this announcement is a deliberate attempt by the DOJ to distance itself from Trump. If so we’ll have to see if he’s able to shut up about it or if he goes into a rage and demands they prosecute him anyway.

my money is on this

Xaquin on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

my money is on this

Yeah 100%

He'll be raging about it at his rally tonight (I don't actually know if there is a rally tonight, I'm just assuming there is since it's a day ending in Y)

LxX6eco.jpg
    It’s worth remembering by the way that McCabe was accused of leaking damaging information to the press about the investigation into Hillary Clinton, not of leaking anything about Trump. The only reason Trump became obsessed with him was because is wife is a Democrat who ran for office in Virginia.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It’s much harder to go after people than let people off the hook

He prosecuted McCabe they’d still have to go through a grand jury, present evidence and deal with a judge

Declining to prosecute someone guilty is easy.

He prosecuted McCabe they’d still have to go through a grand jury, present evidence and deal with a judge

They actually went through the grand jury bit already a few months ago. No charges were filed after the grand jury convened. It was speculated back then that there wouldn’t be any prosecution.

It's even easier to decline to prosecute someone who is innocent

LxX6eco.jpg