As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Fuck that fucking bullshit.

Fuck. I'm so mad.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Sonic Robo Blast 2 (A Fan-made game made using a heavily modified version of the original Doom engine.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia097A0pKNM

It's pretty great, IMO. It's like a long-lost Sega Saturn game that might have existed, in another universe. :)

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That looks so cool! I'll have to show that to my brother and my friend. It looks dope.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Fuck. I'm so mad.

I was going to see it just to reward the studio for actually fixing things. Aaaaand now I am not.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Fuck. I'm so mad.

I was going to see it just to reward the studio for actually fixing things. Aaaaand now I am not.

To be fair it's unclear what exactly killed the VFX studio, though it's implied there was ongoing overwork and possible mismanagement by the heads. It's possible the Sonic movie isn't what killed them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Incenjucar to be fair, it was the Vancouver branch of a larger VFX company called Moving Picture Company. Boycotting the Sonic film hurts Paramount, who don't have any control over MPC.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    VFX companies are treated as disposable by studios, frequently overworking while underpaying. A lot of companies that did effects on high-profile, financially successful movies still end up going bankrupt because they never get enough money and then get a litany of crunch for the final cut.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I want that baby sonic keychain

• Options
    I want a Baby Sonic vs. Baby Yoda fight over a pit of Baby Sharks wih freaking laser pointers.

• Options
    Baby Groot can judge the winner.

• Options
    Baby Groot can judge the winner.

The winner is I Am Groot.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    you know what this means

The original design had a baby version too

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Show me it, I am ready for the Outer Horrors.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    After all that, the Sonic movie's about to open.

Right now it's at 69 on Rottentomatoes, with the consensus that it's pretty good and fun but kinda forgettable.

(Interestingly enough, Detective Pikachu also reached a 69.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Too late, its 70 now.

I've heard that this is a very stupid "for kids" movie, but kids will indeed love it. Sega trying to kickstart a new generation I see. If only we could get some decent new games to hand them.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I’m going in to this with the expectation that’ll it’ll likely be kinda dumb. But they actually listened to the fans and changed the design so I’ll give them my money. Something something vote with the wallet and all that.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Too late, its 70 now.

I've heard that this is a very stupid "for kids" movie, but kids will indeed love it. Sega trying to kickstart a new generation I see. If only we could get some decent new games to hand them.

No lie, someone came into work yesterday looking for Sonic Generations... not Sonic Mania but the 360 game

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    if nothing else, the movie got us this interview, which is probably the hardest chuck I've had in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtrJT1_1m1E

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I never expected this movie to be anything but a dumb kids movie that a certain generation of kids will look back on fondly even though it's dumb. And I can probably take my toddler to it and he'll have a blast.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    The general consensus from regular folk is rather very positive.

I guess as long as you don’t go in expecting Oscar Gold you get to spend the run time with a dumb smile on your face. And I hear Sonic himself is super endearing.

• Options
    Saw it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not likely to win any Oscars or anything, unless my ignorance of how the Oscars actually work really betrays me, but I feel like as a Sonic movie (and speaking as a Sonic fan), it was really enjoyable.

It was what I wanted it to be, which was not bad, and might even be better.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Too late, its 70 now.

I got sonic mania for switch and my son kind of fell in love with it. Which is funny because it’s for all the same reasons we all did. Eventually I need to explain to him what pretty much any other recent sonic game is.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Too late, its 70 now.

I got sonic mania for switch and my son kind of fell in love with it. Which is funny because it’s for all the same reasons we all did. Eventually I need to explain to him what pretty much any other recent sonic game is.

I think I’d rather have “The Talk”.

Edit- holy crap the movie was really fun! I’m surprised to say that I really liked Jim Carrey in this. Along with the rest of the cast too. Ben Schwartz as Sonic is phenomenal.

Axen on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I just came out of Sonic the Hedgehog. The movie was fine! I feel like Sonic's characterization was off, more hyperactive lonely kid than the chill free spirit he's usually portrayed as, but it was okay overall.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    The comments always amuse me when these kinds of movies (like Ninja Turtles or Transformers) come out. I often hear “it was dumb but fun” or “it’s not going to win any awards.” I have to wonder who expects something different. They’re aware of what it’s based on, right?

I don’t expect the upcoming Super Mario Bros movie to sweep the Oscars either.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Eh it would be nice if the movie aspired to be something greater. It feels extremely "safe" with lots of fart jokes for kids. I get that's the audience, it's not for my nearly thirty year old ass. But it has hints at greatness. Here's some good things about the movie:
    Ben Schwartz kills it as Sonic
    There's a handful of good references to Simpsons, and other Sega properties, as of course tons of nods to Sonic games too
    Sonic jumps and strikes a pose similar to the Sonic Adventure cover
    The music, when it's allowed to allude to the theme, is pretty good
    You see the tribe in the beginning is an Echidna tribe, complete with hand spikes and all
    And the very end in the stinger, Tails comes out of the portal. And his voice sounds like straight out of the games. I do wonder who did the voice...
    Obviously the mushroom world is a reference to Mushroom Hill Zone

The plot of the movie is just standard fare, the character of Sonic easily was the best part but they did the classic Hollywood thing where they toy with his origin, for no reason.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK-7XhdQeuY
    I think Ben liked his Game Grumps episodes more than even the fans did ha ha.

• Options
    Eh it would be nice if the movie aspired to be something greater. It feels extremely "safe" with lots of fart jokes for kids. I get that's the audience, it's not for my nearly thirty year old ass. But it has hints at greatness. Here's some good things about the movie:
    There's a handful of good references to Simpsons, and other Sega properties, as of course tons of nods to Sonic games too
    You see the tribe in the beginning is an Echidna tribe, complete with hand spikes and all
    And the very end in the stinger, Tails comes out of the portal. And his voice sounds like straight out of the games. I do wonder who did the voice...

The plot of the movie is just standard fare, the character of Sonic easily was the best part but they did the classic Hollywood thing where they toy with his origin, for no reason.

I only remember two fart jokes offhand, one in the motel room, the other the weird baseball thing. Were there more?

• Options
    The comments always amuse me when these kinds of movies (like Ninja Turtles or Transformers) come out. I often hear “it was dumb but fun” or “it’s not going to win any awards.” I have to wonder who expects something different. They’re aware of what it’s based on, right?

I don’t expect the upcoming Super Mario Bros movie to sweep the Oscars either.

They’re just general expressions to indicate something is perfectly serviceable contrary to appearances.

In the case of Sonic the general vibe before the movie released was that it’d likely be dumb dumb. Something that happened and would be quickly forgotten.

Now that the movie is out people are surprised to find that it was dumb fun and not dumb dumb. I know I was.

In related news the box office tracking for Sonic has been adjusted up, from 40mil to 55mil. That’s a pretty good sign as far as the studio is concerned. I suspect we’ll likely see a sequel which is something I didn’t think I’d ever say before the movie released.

• Options

I only remember two fart jokes offhand, one in the motel room, the other the weird baseball thing. Were there more?

Just lots of toliet humor in general ("haha I used all the toliet paper.") It's clearly aimed at kids. I went opening night and more than half the crowd was families with young kids, I saw a few sonic plushies. It kinda makes sense to me, because kids love Mario and you always see kids decked out in Mario and Minecraft merch.

Not saying it ruined the movie, but it made a lot of the humor fall flat. The best moments are when sonic gets to be... Sonic.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I'd say there was a lot of toilet humor. If anything, it felt like they avoided that in general, at least compared to a lot of other "kids" movies I've been subjected to over my kids childhoods. There were like two fart jokes and the toilet paper thing was barely about the toilet part of it.

It was fine. It was definitely for kids. My son enjoyed it. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't really get into it. By the very end I really wasn't feeling much of anything in what was supposed to be the typical hero moment climax.

Ending-ish & and general thematic spoilers
    The last scene with Robotnik and then the mid-credit with Tails; combined with the implied Knuckles in the opening, did more for me than pretty much the entirety of the rest of the movie. There was zero reason whatsoever for the owl character.

And for the last battle, how hard would it have been to have Robotnik in a little capsule after Sonic busted his plane and pushed him into the ring? They were clearly trying to go for the callback with Sonic bouncing off it over and over, just...finish the connection. :rotate:

Ultimately, like the Transformers movies and other ones I can't think of off the top of my head, there was too much not-Sonic in the movie, and it wasn't necessary. The whole movie was set up for getting into the "real" Sonic stuff and I'm sick of that nonsense. Studios need to stop making movies setting up other movies, when the movie isn't proven to begin with; and the material they use to get to hinting at getting to the "real" stuff adds pretty much nothing in the end.

And it's not like they're needing to re-introduce Sonic, the recent games have done well enough, and he is still a pretty iconic and well known character. Just...trust the damn audiences. Particularly in this post-MCU world where it's been fairly established that viewers can enter an established franchise without requiring a belabored origin story. Just get to it.

Anyway, yeah. I would have preferred a straight Sonic movie and not "Humans: featuring Sonic", but whatever. Like I said, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't anything special. If you're not taking a younger kid to see it, I'd probably at best go to a matinee, or wait and rent it. Unless you're just really wanting to support it I guess.

Apparently it's making above box office expectations for the opening weekend, so hopefully they'll feel more bold next time.

By the way, the visual effects were fantastic. The studio that got shut down did a great job, and despite losing their jobs, I hope they're proud of what they made. Visually, it did Sonic justice in a real way. It is incredibly shitty they shut down, though I doubt it was because of Sonic; but I guess the current state of that industry isn't really a topic for this thread.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I don't go see a lot of kids movies, so 3 potty humor jokes might seem low if you see a lot of them but it's absolutely trending in to kid's humor (I can't recall a single time Sonic has farted before this movie).

I would like an explanation for the Owl, but tbh if they don't answer it in the sequel I'm also fine

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    A sequel isn't really what we want though, because that would have to be set in large part in the "real world." Otherwise it wouldn't be following the tone and style of the original. What we need is a spin off CG TV show or miniseries.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    A sequel isn't really what we want though, because that would have to be set in large part in the "real world." Otherwise it wouldn't be following the tone and style of the original. What we need is a spin off CG TV show or miniseries.

I think the hope is that Sonic would go back to his world, and if they insist on keeping the humans from this one, have them get transported to Sonic's world

I was hoping they'd name the planet, if that had aid Mobius I think the internet might have exploded.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2020
    Probably the best thread I could post about this in...

After the last time I moved, I went through my collection of games I've had with me for years and stumbled upon a boxed copy of the Sonic Adventure 2-Pack for Gamecube. Searching online, i come to find that this is pretty much one of the rarest Gamecube releases ever and has recently(last 6 months or so) sold on eBay for $700-$1200. Some crazy person even has one up for 'Buy It Now' at $2k.

So I finally listed my copy. Started it at a $300 auction for 10 days. It's currently up to $600 after 24 hours... :biggrin:

Gonna fund a Disneyland trip using a Sonic game I bought ~17 years ago. Woo!

Edit: sorry. Its at $900 now. Wtf... :o

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

I think the hope is that Sonic would go back to his world, and if they insist on keeping the humans from this one, have them get transported to Sonic's world

I was hoping they'd name the planet, if that had aid Mobius I think the internet might have exploded.

I think they definitely set up plenty of ways off earth in the movie, to the point that it would be completely within the tone and style presented. It actively teased other worlds throughout. A sequel could start on earth and go pretty much anywhere. Hell, end on earth again, I don't care. There's just too much creativity and character in the different worlds in Sonic games to stick to earth; and it would throw away the whole potential of the rings.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand