As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Roegadyn
    during the live letter they said they're just gonna keep quiet about balance changes until patch day from now on

and I get that they want to stop chicken little pre-patch freakouts from redditors who don't actually understand the numbers, but unfortunately this does prevent hardcore player from mathing things out to see if their rotation needs to change

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Makes sense, I've seen enough communities freak out over theoretical nerfs/buffs that I understand holding that info close to your chest.

I'll 99% keep raiding with SMN unless they overreact and accidently nerf it into the ground/make it boring, in which case I'll swap to, I dunno, some random melee DPS or something.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Really sucks that all the whiners ruined it for everybody else

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    SMN was way over buffed. It did more damage than Sam and Blam

Now if RDM is the top dps then that’s just good balance though

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I also don’t know how anything they say during a live letter would impact hardcore raiders because “potency will increase” is completely meaningless without the actual changes, which they don’t provide until the patch notes anyway

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Miqo'te
    I mean, I'm assuming that they're still putting out patch notes sometime after maintenance starts, it's just that they aren't saying anything "specific" in the live letter like "Monk buff timers will be adjusted" or "we're reworking enochian" and queue 2 week long meltdown where everyone tried to figure out what that actually means.

Edit: last I checked SMN is behind BLM and SAM on every fight except e1s, where it gets to AOE pad really easily with ahk morn/Phoenix cleaves on adds/meteors.

But yeah, we kinda got overtuned... ok, we really got overtuned. But just nerf DOTs back durn down to 40 and that should be fine.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I have heard nerfing the DOTs is in fact the plan, but of course there's no way to know if that is reliable.

Would make sense to me though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Lalafell
    Honestly, at this point I’m almost expecting SMN to drop the DOT aspect by 6.0. SHBR brought the focus more around to commanding the Egis and Demis, to the point that the DOTs and Fester seem kinda tacked on at this point. I dunno.

You don’t even get any build towards your trances or Bahamut by using Fester anymore.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    Honestly, at this point I’m almost expecting SMN to drop the DOT aspect by 6.0. SHBR brought the focus more around to commanding the Egis and Demis, to the point that the DOTs and Fester seem kinda tacked on at this point. I dunno.

You don’t even get any build towards your trances or Bahamut by using Fester anymore.

Would probably be for the best. Another class can do DoT focus then maybe. Although DoTs as a focus has issues dealing with adds and phases and crap, which is one reason SMN has moved away. You'd need some kind of discharge thing where it tears all your DoTs off to do their remaining damage? (kind of like how BLM's thunder procs work, but not quite)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    Unless shenanigans happen you currently only hard cast your DoTs once every 2 minutes in the SMN rotation. They're extremely tertiary.

And Bane is so bad now you wouldn't even cast it if it wasn't free and off the GCD.

Honestly the weirdest thing to me about SMN (very much not complaining mind) is that you have only 3 spells with a cast time. Ruin 1/3, Outburst, and Miasma 1/3. And Outburst is just AOE ruin and Miasma as I said you only cast once every 2 minutes or so a lot of the time. AND dreadwyrm trance makes them instant cast and firebird trance replaces them with other instant cast spells. We're almost as mobile as the physical ranged DPS.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Lalafell
    Not to mention that with Egi Assault now an instant spell on the GCD, you can avoid needing to cast Ruin III too many times outside of Bahamut or post-Firebird phases.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    You get 4 egi assaults per minute, Ruin 3 is still your most cast spell by a mile. I honestly really like how SMN feels right now, even if the Aetherflow system is a bit light (basically functioning as a charge system for Fester that you have to manually charge). Trances going to a 55 second cool down opened up some fun opportunities for optimization where, depending on fight/phase length, you can either stick to a strict 2 minute cycle to keep demis aligned with party buffs, or rush trances asap to get an extra summon per fight.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Lalafell
    ph blake wrote: »
    You get 4 egi assaults per minute, Ruin 3 is still your most cast spell by a mile. I honestly really like how SMN feels right now, even if the Aetherflow system is a bit light (basically functioning as a charge system for Fester that you have to manually charge). Trances going to a 55 second cool down opened up some fun opportunities for optimization where, depending on fight/phase length, you can either stick to a strict 2 minute cycle to keep demis aligned with party buffs, or rush trances asap to get an extra summon per fight.

You cast Ruin III a lot, yes, but any casts in Trance are instant (or converted into an instant spell, with Firebird). Play it right and you get to skip a lot of cast time.

But then I may be blanking on my many hardcasts of Ruin III due to how bread-and-butter it is.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    I mean you also get four ruin 4's per minute too.

If you're managing them correctly it's pretty rare a fight will force you into casting ruin 2. And ruin 2 ain't that much of a potency loss anymore anyway.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Still feels bad when I have that realization that I’m not going to have 4 stacks of Further Ruin for Bahamut. It feels like missing a Heat Blast on MCH.

• Options
    Au'ra
    Still feels bad when I have that realization that I’m not going to have 4 stacks of Further Ruin for Bahamut. It feels like missing a Heat Blast on MCH.

It's not though, since it's not a potency loss, unlike missing Heat Blast because weaving oGCDs in is super tight timing...

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Miqo'te
    Yeah, I'm not arguing that SMN doesn't have tons of ways to deal with movement, I'm just saying that R3 spam is a pretty huge part of our DPS, only behind DOTs and Phoenix for how much it contributes. Nearly 1/4 to 1/3 of your casts will be hardcast r3 (and ideally more, but panic r2 is gonna happen).

This mostly matters in that downtime after Baha/Phoenix where you want to manage your r4 procs so that you have 4 going into your next Baha phase.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Finally got around to jumping back into the Masked Carnival and beating level 25.

Got one-shot a few times by the meteor until I realized Loom doesn't have a cooldown and I could cast it twice back-to-back.

Now I can get started on leveling Blue Mage from 50-60 and learning the new spells. Hopefully getting the dungeon ones won't be too big of a pain.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I wouldn't even call SMN a DoT class, it's just the only class that like, has noticeable DoTs. I'd actually really like if FF14 had a real DoT class but they don't seem to be interested

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Au'ra
    I wouldn't even call SMN a DoT class, it's just the only class that like, has noticeable DoTs. I'd actually really like if FF14 had a real DoT class but they don't seem to be interested

It used to be pretty heavily one. But there's issues when your DPS is all slow to ramp up and adds need to die.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera

there's also bard

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fuck bard

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    How dare you

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    but yeah bard is definitely not a proper DoT class.

• Options
    Viera
    it's more of one than summoner is if'n ya ask me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Au'ra
    it's more of one than summoner is if'n ya ask me

These days, yeah.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    5lewjnkzsog41.jpg

• Options
    Lalafell
    Preliminary patch notes are out. No real combat info, but there’s info on crafting changes:
    Ingenuity is gone. Innovation now buffs only Touch actions by 50% instead of both by 20%. New skill Veneration buffs Synthesis by 50%. New Synthesis skill that increases progress at double the usual durability cost (and loses potency if you try to use it when the remaining durability is below its cost)

Reuse is gone.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Au'ra
    RIP reuse

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    while the next yorha raid isn't until 5.3, that storyline is getting a couple quests this patch

I like the idea of a raid questline that continues throughout an expansion even when the raids themselves don't

• Options
    Au'ra
    Preliminary patch notes are out. No real combat info, but there’s info on crafting changes:
    Ingenuity is gone. Innovation now buffs only Touch actions by 50% instead of both by 20%. New skill Veneration buffs Synthesis by 50%. New Synthesis skill that increases progress at double the usual durability cost (and loses potency if you try to use it when the remaining durability is below its cost)

Reuse is gone.
    Also math reworks, difficulty changes, etc to account for it.

The current actions are a little dumb with the difference between buffed and not buffed... so hopefully it's a little less monotonous.

And Reuse was dumb in the end, especially since it was basically the rich get richer.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    There's now a new calculation window that shows all of the skill improvements at the current phase of crafting.

Also, there's this piece of glorious news:
    To help alleviate inventory clutter, certain items such as Voidsent Blood and Bat Fangs will no longer drop from enemies in instanced dungeons.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    So looking through the patch notes I think I found the secret mvp of this patch.
    New chapters have been added to New Game+.

Side Story Quests
    Hildibrand, Agent of Enquiry
    Further Hildibrand Adventures
    Even Further Hildibrand Adventures

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Viera
    UM HEY?

They actually did a good with genderlocked gear for once!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Good:
    Solo players can advance company crafting
    Spiritbound gear not consumed when converting to materia now
    Eight waymarks! Waymark sets!!
    Fishing animation improvements and multi-purpose lures

Bad:
    I got like...unreasonably excited for the dice command, thinking Eorzea could have death rolls now but it looks like there's no modifying the dice command to set the range, so...

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Roegadyn
    yay new fishing stu- wait I just got fishing to 80 I don't need to- THIS ONE MUST FISH new lures should be nice, I won't have to take up half my chocobags with bait

I'm actually a little bummed about Company crafting solo, but only because I liked when someone needed help and I could go hang with some people while they built a castle or airship or whatever

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    New beast tribe is for gatherers only so best get leveling if you aint got one I guess. Need to be 70.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Au'ra
    I know how I'm finishing FSH!

This discussion has been closed.