As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C'mon chummers we're going on a Shadow[chat]

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Sounds like the same take moviebob had with southpark.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    "equal opportunity offender" is like saying "I am not racist, I hate all people equally."

It is never actually true.

Also if it’s actually true, it’s infantile misanthropy, the next rung down from actual sociopathy. A great moral code, that.

What if you just hate most people because they make your life a fucking nightmare by being inconsiderate, lazy, and airheaded?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    To me they turned a corner when they started thinking they should tackle real current issues.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I was going to say South Park is written pretty fast but so are SNL and a lot of late ni- oh no

Tumin on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I also kind of always think of South Park as being initially targeted at malignantly-disillusioned GenXers, considering it was an R-rated cartoon that premiered in 1995, when most millennials still hadn’t learned basic literacy.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    i remember the trashier kids in my fifth grade class quoting cartman all the time
    but kids like it because they said all the potty words

• Options
    I also kind of always think of South Park as being initially targeted at malignantly-disillusioned GenXers, considering it was an R-rated cartoon that premiered in 1995, when most millennials still hadn’t learned basic literacy.

Depends if you consider someone like me to be a GenXer or a Millenial. SP started when I was in High School. It was a huge cultural influence on my generation

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    inside of me is two wolves

one says seriously, get some tidying done and set up that desk, you've had ikea furniture stacked all over for far too long

the other says mmm but what if I mostly do nothing tho

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Early internet discourse (bbs, list serves, etc) were influenced by academia and a reaction to 1980s and 1990s censorship and religious moral panic. The anonymity baked in from the start def comes from a place of wanting to let people be weird without being assured it would follow them back to real life. It came from a naive hope that freedom of expression was a self-policing ultimate good. At the time it was a left wing cornerstone.

Modern internet platforms are pretty much a straight line from there, with little deviation. The evils that have arisen are largely borne of scale and a reality catching up with free speech idealists.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    there is a guy in the bathroom really grunting one out and i want to be like "pööp gently, bröther" but that's not necessarily the kind of advice asked for in the workplace

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    "equal opportunity offender" is like saying "I am not racist, I hate all people equally."

It is never actually true.

It's true. This is a show that covered the Pope in menstrual blood, portrayed the distant future as a warlike dystopia after scientists took power, and brutally slaughtered a hundred cows to protect Impossible burgers. There are no social groups left untouched.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    there is a guy in the bathroom really grunting one out and i want to be like "pööp gently, bröther" but that's not necessarily the kind of advice asked for in the workplace

this would, however, be superb bathroom stall graffiti

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The National Crime Agency has publicly distanced itself from a poster urging parents to call police if their child has installed Kali Linux, Tor or – brace yourself – Discord.

Issued by West Midlands Regional Organised Crime Unit (WMROCU) via local area councils, the poster in question lists a slack handful of common infosec tools – as well as some that clearly have nothing to do with computer security.

Should your child install Kali Linux, virtual machines (the image on the poster looks like Virtualbox) or internet privacy tool Tor, West Midlands Police wants to know immediately. And if – heaven forfend – junior installs Metasploit, free VoIP service for gamers Discord or WiFi Pineapple, you might as well report straight to your nearest prison and abandon your tainted offspring forever.

*cackle*

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Tell him to plant his feet for leverage, and offer a bearhug to help increase the pressure

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    wmrocu_silly_infosec_poster.jpg

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

it took me a sec to realize there could possibly be a different answer

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Early internet discourse (bbs, list serves, etc) were influenced by academia and a reaction to 1980s and 1990s censorship and religious moral panic. The anonymity baked in from the start def comes from a place of wanting to let people be weird without being assured it would follow them back to real life. It came from a naive hope that freedom of expression was a self-policing ultimate good. At the time it was a left wing cornerstone.

Modern internet platforms are pretty much a straight line from there, with little deviation. The evils that have arisen are largely borne of scale and a reality catching up with free speech idealists*.

Reddit and Twitter are places I don’t think this is true of (definitely the free speech idealism, but not the straight line) and are probably the two largest platforms for discourse

Both would espouse some libertarian nonsense but twitter in particular is very much down with the social order because it makes them a lot of money

*except when it doesn’t suit them

• Options
    Twitters also really down with Nazis because it makes them lots of money

• Options
    Imagine calling the police and being like "yes my kid uses discord" and anything positive coming from that interaction at any step in the process.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    talk to your kids about the danger of talking to people on discord

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Modern internet platforms are pretty much a straight line from there, with little deviation. The evils that have arisen are largely borne of scale and a reality catching up with free speech idealists.

I'd argue the situation we're in now is not "scale" and "reality" but rather "business" and "profit motive" grabbing onto the internet. The problem is not that people have free speech, the problem is that their speech is amplified in proportion to its drama and engagement, that the focuses of our attention are being manipulated by astroturfing and reinforcing feedback loops. We aren't just seeing the naked follies of human psychology, we are seeing them exploited ruthlessly for gain.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    If your kid can use Kali Linux, you can rest easy knowing they won't be unemployed in your basement

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Imagine calling the police and being like "yes my kid uses discord" and anything positive coming from that interaction at any step in the process.

i called the police and told them you use discord

because i care

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my understanding is the police wouldn't know what that is

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    my understanding is the police wouldn't know what that is

I mean you're not wrong, that poster from the previous page shows they know nothing about anything related to computers.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I use discord to run my weekly d&d game

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Trace wrote: »
    wmrocu_silly_infosec_poster.jpg

Talk to me when you feel old enough to get a side gig, kid

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    If your kid can use Kali Linux, you can rest easy knowing they won't be unemployed in your basement
    Not to mention that they can reboot a unix system and protect the adults from rampaging utahraptors.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    today i've been thinking about how really have i done anything really good or right in the last i dunno 14 years

also gents, i may need to bail on a spa day, this is virus-y, maybe flu-y, but we'll see
    i dont know that subjecting myself to hot rooms and stuff, and other people to this virus is wise

poo
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Maaan that FF7 remake opening looks so good. I am extremely hype for that.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i told my friend i'd go out with him tonight for valentines day because he has had a tough time post breakup from relationship (which was also not good for him) - there's been a lot of him saying LOVE IS A LIE and being dramatic

but i think i must also bail from this

poo
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    i told my friend i'd go out with him tonight for valentines day because he has had a tough time post breakup from relationship (which was also not good for him) - there's been a lot of him saying LOVE IS A LIE and being dramatic

but i think i must also bail from this

Maybe reschedule it :sad:

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

"Hey, let's get this wifi baby monitor!"
    Me: "No"

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    FF7 remake is like my top priority for PAX East which means I will never see it, and it will only serve to reinforce the lesson that I should abandon my dreams for the inability to reach them only causes pain

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I use discord to run my weekly d&d game and share hacking tips

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Oh man is

YOUR CHILD MAY BE A HACKER

a thing now?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Depends if you consider someone like me to be a GenXer or a Millenial. SP started when I was in High School. It was a huge cultural influence on my generation

You’re on the cusp, so you have to fill out the questionnaire:

- Depeche Mode or Vampire Weekend?
    - He-Man or Darkwing Duck?
    - Cheers or Frasier?
    - Surge or Mountain Dew Code Red?
    - Ewoks or Ninja Turtles?

Choose carefully

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    No one saw that, fuck you.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh man is

YOUR CHILD MAY BE A HACKER

a thing now?

This has been a thing forever.

This discussion has been closed.