As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    See, the tweet gets it. All the people reposting the trailer to their own movie channels? they don't.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Does the trailer show the next season's release date?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Does the trailer show the next season's release date?
    Nah, but they just started filming last month. Best guess is Q4/Xmas.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Well lots of townspeople died the last time. That might have killed the town.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah... I have no clue how they are gonna keep things secret now. Closing down the lab (and theoretically unemploying its workers) is one thing. Shutting down the mall, having the mayor get seriously screwed up, having all those people disappear... No way to hide that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Yeah... I have no clue how they are gonna keep things secret now. Closing down the lab (and theoretically unemploying its workers) is one thing. Shutting down the mall, having the mayor get seriously screwed up, having all those people disappear... No way to hide that.

Didn't they explain it at the end of S3 as a fire that destroyed the mall and killed a bunch of people?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I am excite

half expected the Red October Overture to start blaring

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Didn't they explain it at the end of S3 as a fire that destroyed the mall and killed a bunch of people?

Not to mention that, aside from some folks oddly wandering off, everything was taking place in the middle of a big July 4th party and nobody saw the big beasty outside of the folks who already knew what was going on. With one girl supposedly dying from a toxin spill, a boy disappearing inexplicably for several days before returning, massive problems with crops, and a ton of people dying in the mall "fire" after said mall shut down a ton of businesses, I could definitely see Hawkins basically getting left deserted.

The hardest thing to coverup about that would be why some people left random parties to go to the mall, particularly the kids.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

Not to mention that, aside from some folks oddly wandering off, everything was taking place in the middle of a big July 4th party and nobody saw the big beasty outside of the folks who already knew what was going on. With one girl supposedly dying from a toxin spill, a boy disappearing inexplicably for several days before returning, massive problems with crops, and a ton of people dying in the mall "fire" after said mall shut down a ton of businesses, I could definitely see Hawkins basically getting left deserted.

The hardest thing to coverup about that would be why some people left random parties to go to the mall, particularly the kids.

You could wrap that up into the cover story: a bunch of teenagers break into the mall for an illegal party and then the fire breaks out. The adults came because they heard about it and wanted to put a stop to it—many of the adults killed were parents of children killed, since the Mindflayer is a spiteful little shitweasel that wiped out whole families.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Been a long time since I've seen this thread! I'm bumping it for a reason: they posted a new Stranger Things 4 teaser:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwLN6hV-X8

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really should watch season 3.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Been a long time since I've seen this thread! I'm bumping it for a reason: they posted a new Stranger Things 4 teaser:

Awesome was for it coming soon. EDIT: It's still due in 2022? WHAT THE HELL?

Will admit, I haven't watched the trailer, nor will I. For things that I'm comfortable in the knowledge I will enjoy, I tend not to.

Too often, they show something that gives away something (plot point, laugh-out-loud moment, character reveal), that I'd rather enjoy in the moment.

Not averse to spoilers, but for something that's going to be an opening day watch anyways, I prefer to keep as much for the viewing experience as I can.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    What does it meaaaaaaaaaan?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The new series is clearly a stealth crossover with the MCU. Hopper will become the Red Guardian, and Eleven and others will be how they finally sneak mutants into the MCU. Steve will command his cadre of not-quite-children to soundly defeat Taskmaster with an assortment of skateboards and bats they found in a dumpster.

• Options
    The new series is clearly a stealth crossover with the MCU. Hopper will become the Red Guardian, and Eleven and others will be how they finally sneak mutants into the MCU. Steve will command his cadre of not-quite-children to soundly defeat Taskmaster with an assortment of skateboards and bats they found in a dumpster.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You were on a roll until here.

Then you lost me.

Now, if you said.... "and become Taskmaster", then I would have subscribed to your newsletter.

Joe Keery for Taskmaster? Who disagrees? And do you enjoy being wrong?

• Options
    Taskmaster is obviously totally unharmed but unwilling to fight a bunch of kids without getting paid for it. Immediately following the "attack", Taskmaster pops right back up and carries on with the day.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Taskmaster is obviously totally unharmed but unwilling to fight a bunch of kids without getting paid for it. Immediately following the "attack", Taskmaster pops right back up and carries on with the day.

A crossover between a Netflix horror show and a British game show was not something I had forseen. Although Greg Davies is pretty scary.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So, to actually address the trailer:
    It seems like they're doing a prequel thing? Or a flashback-laden season? Which I don't understand how they do because Millie Bobby Brown is 17 now and I don't think can reasonably pass for being, like, 10 or 11 years old as would be required for events prior to the first season. Maybe Netflix is throwing enough money at them that CGI can make it happen?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    It seems like they're doing a prequel thing? Or a flashback-laden season? Which I don't understand how they do because Millie Bobby Brown is 17 now and I don't think can reasonably pass for being, like, 10 or 11 years old as would be required for events prior to the first season. Maybe Netflix is throwing enough money at them that CGI can make it happen?

What I don't understand is
    11's backstory is that one of the project participants got pregnant and she's the baby, she was added to the project after the other 10 participants. Yet she's the same age as the other project girl we met last season, and although we didn't see her in the trailer she's hinted to be the same age as the project kids we do see in it. What gives?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

11's backstory is that one of the project participants got pregnant and she's the baby, she was added to the project after the other 10 participants. Yet she's the same age as the other project girl we met last season, and although we didn't see her in the trailer she's hinted to be the same age as the project kids we do see in it. What gives?

Maybe they
    Recycle the numbers. Old Five died during a training accident/incident, next child in line is the new Five, that kind of thing.

They could have a generic number behind the scenes, but if you never have more than a dozen or so in you're care, it's easier to have simple numbers assigned rather than have to deal with having subject Eighty Six and subject One hundred and twenty four, and subject 2 (how are they still here?!?)?

Or someone blanked on a really obvious bit of continuity.

... or something wildly else entirely.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »

Maybe they
    Recycle the numbers. Old Five died during a training accident/incident, next child in line is the new Five, that kind of thing.

They could have a generic number behind the scenes, but if you never have more than a dozen or so in you're care, it's easier to have simple numbers assigned rather than have to deal with having subject Eighty Six and subject One hundred and twenty four, and subject 2 (how are they still here?!?)?

Or someone blanked on a really obvious bit of continuity.

... or something wildly else entirely.

I'm pretty sure in Season 1 they said they only had 10 subjects, then an 11th one when one of the ten got pregnant.

sig.gif
  • Options
    My supposition:
    Brenner is somehow alive (I'm hoping for something like he was twins that were originally subjects themselves, which is why the guy is creepily persuasive) and we're getting flashbacks because he subjected 11 to some kind of post-hypnotic mind control stuff to put some secret controls on her so she could never threaten himself.

Given that we know the Soviets are involved, I'm also betting Brenner has flipped sides to continue his research, which is why the Soviets were going after the Upside Down in earnest. So Brenner is back in business with the Soviets, and he's trying to get Eleven back because she's the key to any further progress. He even has Hopper as leverage to "prove" that she can be happy with her family if she just joins him.

But Brenner won't know that Eleven's mother managed to communicate with her, or that Eleven has become strongly independent but also developed numerous personal connections. So her, the gang, and Steve's Hair are going to invade Russia, probably via traveling the Upside Down, to save Hopper and deal with Brenner for good.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That trailer felt like what you do when you can't think of what to make the new season about

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    That trailer felt like what you do when you can't think of what to make the new season about

Or when you don't have any filming in the can with the major stars

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The news is a few days old at this point, but I realized no one updated the thread when it was announced, so here we go. Stranger Things season 4 will be released in two parts. Volume 1 is released on May 27th, Volume 2 on July 1st.

There will also be a fifth and final season.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Splitting up a lousy 9 episodes. So not only is streaming reducing the number of eps, but since they're not making enough they now artificially spread them out.

The downside to this streaming future.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That scheduling is them deliberately trying to make people stick around with a sub for an extra month or maybe get 3 months out of this if people have it bill on the 1st.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, while it is only 9 episodes they've also said this season is "about twice the runtime" so I suspect each episode is significantly longer than in previous seasons.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Splitting up a lousy 9 episodes. So not only is streaming reducing the number of eps, but since they're not making enough they now artificially spread them out.

I'm super OK with cutting down the number of episodes in a show because it lets writers drop a lot of padding.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

It's literally the same spacing as a weekly release, just in 2 bingeable blocks.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    It's always been 8 or 9 episodes.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's always been 8 or 9 episodes.

Yeah it makes me worry that each episode will be like movie length and full of bloat.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    They have a lot of story to tell, between getting the band back together and whatever is going on. Hopefully not the mind flayed again.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Stranger Things is THE Netflix show, right? I understand why they've need to drag it out, but it's still annoying to see.

Very glad Season Five is the end.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    This stuff with dropping half-seasons always annoys me because weekly drops are immensely superior. People actually get a whole week to discuss and share about the episode instead of this nonsense where you've either seen the entirety of the new material or nothing at all.

Netflix needs to just drop releasing seasons in chunks and go over to weekly episode releases as standard.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    This stuff with dropping half-seasons always annoys me because weekly drops are immensely superior. People actually get a whole week to discuss and share about the episode instead of this nonsense where you've either seen the entirety of the new material or nothing at all.

Netflix needs to just drop releasing seasons in chunks and go over to weekly episode releases as standard.

It's a tough sell because it's a self-perpetuating problem. Release whole season, millions binge the whole season "oh look at those great numbers, they obv love this so we'll keep doing it" While ignoring that at least some of those millions are only binging it because they 'have' to. I agree and wish that they would go weekly but until they start suffering for not doing so, I doubt it will change.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think weekly episodes are better at building buzz and encouraging people to share any cultural impact, but there are examples of whole shows dropping having similar or related effects, like Squid Game. Word of mouth was about the show as a whole, not the latest episode.

I certainly prefer weekly episodes.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think weekly episodes are better at building buzz and encouraging people to share any cultural impact, but there are examples of whole shows dropping having similar or related effects, like Squid Game. Word of mouth was about the show as a whole, not the latest episode.

Appears I might be alone in liking mini-dumps. I didn't expect to, but the release of Vox Machina did it for me.

An entire series, especially a lengthy one, and it can be a chore to watch it in a sitting.

Weekly, and I'm left unsatisified after just one episode. With some series (STDisco at the moment), I'll actually let a couple weeks past, but that means avoiding spoilers, and just keeping out of relevant threads.

Mini-dumps, and I can binge it without it being unhealthy, and without having to let it pass me by.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    MorganV wrote: »

Appears I might be alone in liking mini-dumps. I didn't expect to, but the release of Vox Machina did it for me.

An entire series, especially a lengthy one, and it can be a chore to watch it in a sitting.

Weekly, and I'm left unsatisified after just one episode. With some series (STDisco at the moment), I'll actually let a couple weeks past, but that means avoiding spoilers, and just keeping out of relevant threads.

Mini-dumps, and I can binge it without it being unhealthy, and without having to let it pass me by.

Ive found like getting around an hourish content per week, that might be a bigger single episode, or 2-3 smaller ones. Gives me enough to chew on without over/underwhelming me.

Vox Machina’s 3 per week and Peacemakers single per week were just the right amount of both.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Buzz about Squid Game came and went so fast that I wasn't even sure if it was a series or a movie. I saw stuff about Squid Game but never so much as saw discussion of it; just a quick puff of attention, then it's old news.

In comparison, I've seen loads of discussion about Peacemaker, the Boba Fett series, and The Mandalorian. Those weekly drops are definitely how you keep people engaged and give people a reason to hang around on your service. Not to mention it avoids this absurd half-season crap that Netflix does which forces a show to either write for a long gap mid-season or have a weird, clumsy gap right in the middle of the story.

I mean, I was 100% not interested in Peacemaker and it was entirely the weekly release and discussion around the episodes that changed my mind to try it. In comparison, I have yet to bother with Squid Game because I know so little about it besides "sinister game in dystopian future" and there's no discussion of it anywhere.

Ninja Snarl P on