As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Thread S2E9: Crwth is Doing His Taxes in Another World?! part 2/3 SUB ENG

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I have very little exposure to Tenchi. For years I only knew it from the occasional clip in an AMV or something, and for the longest time I was actually under the impression that the cat/rabbit thing was called Tenchi instead of the plain-looking guy. The cat/rabbit thing certainly made it into videos more often.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The only Tenchi I've seen is Ai Tenchi Muyo!. Primarily because Suzuhito Yasuda did the character design. No recollection whether or not it was any good or what it was even about.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of exceptions to that where there's an actual poly ending and... maybe Tenchi? I can't keep straight all the different iterations of the Tenchi plot and I don't remember them very well but does he usually end up with just one girl at the end?

At the end of Macross Frontier, our hero, the Valkyrie fighter pilot Alto NEEDS to make a clear decision between his two love interests. The up and coming pop singer Ranka and the established superstar pop singer (he has a type, clearly) Sheryl. He says to them (paraphrased), "I realized something in the final battle. Both of you... are my wings!"

So yeah, he just straight up attempts the Mass Effect 1 "... well do I have to choose?" and gets away with it. I think this might develop further in the movies? I never watched em.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Whippy wrote: »
    Is there like a tenchi timeline or watch order or something. I saw what ever was on toonami and also I pirated magical girl Sammy in like 2000 on fuckin kazaa

Tenchi muyo has 3 ova afiak. Theres a ton of manga too
    GXP happens after them
    Geminar war happens last

Theres light novels for all 3 but none are translated

Universe,Pretty sammy, and Tokyo are their own thing

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Also there's Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures that takes place in at least one of the Tenchi Muyo universes because Zinv has the Light Wings.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Polyamory in anime...Star Driver comes pretty damn close. Bonus points for it being a 2 guys/1 girl scenario

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    This 100 girls manga is extremely weird, but very self-aware, and kinda charming in a bizarre way? either way I dig it

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    started watching dorohedoro, it's pretty great

i just wish the character models were about 1000x grimier, tho

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Also there's Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures that takes place in at least one of the Tenchi Muyo universes because Zinv has the Light Wings.

Oh yeah Zinv is the mech in GXP and Sena is the reincarnation of the hero of that series

It takes place like billions of years before though so it doesn't really affect canon

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is Hunter X Hunter even done? Or is it another series that'll never be completed?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Is Hunter X Hunter even done? Or is it another series that'll never be completed?

Oh the manga is never going to be finished but the anime ending works very well as a jumping off point. Barring a couple subplots, it's very good at giving closure.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes

Peas on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Hiatus~san has very serious health issues and will sadly likely never finish

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

From what I understand, the author has some chronic health problems that mean that it keeps going in and out of hiatus. Hence the nickname "Hiatus X Hiatus".

I'd put it in the same rough category as Berserk, I guess.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »

From what I understand, the author has some chronic health problems that mean that it keeps going in and out of hiatus. Hence the nickname "Hiatus X Hiatus".

I'd put it in the same rough category as Berserk, I guess.
    Miura has a chronic idolmaster addiction

• Options
    It's kinda cool that Miura is training his assistants to draw in his style by writing another manga

Togashi's backup plan seems to be his wife Naoko Takeuchi (of Sailor moon fame) but she's like 50 already and pretty much retired?

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    togashi draws manga laying flat on his stomach and this has caused uh quite severe joint/back problems

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I’m still thinking of that conclusion to the Chimera Ant arc and I’m still a little sad
    Does the little girl reborn as an ant ever get reunited with her brother??

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Togashi should just dictate the end of HxH. It's basically a Light Novel at this point.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Finished Made in Abyss. The comic version has some creepy pedo bullshit or something, doesn't it? If I want more, is it worth reading the comic or should I just wait for the movies to be translated?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Mili - sustain++; (ending ver.) / Ghost In The Shell: SAC_2045 Ending Theme 1:35
    https://youtu.be/Wu4fVGsEn8s

Well, that's a good ED, at least.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    the faces in Haikyuu are simply incredible

10/10, extremely great expressions and animation

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I really liked the expressions in that one horny gambling anime.

Maybe that isn't specific enough.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I think 90% of the posters in here knows exactly what it is

I remember it actual being kind of tame in reality though, kinda like a reverse Made in Abyss

Peas on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Are we talking about kakegurui? Y’all can just say stuff

• Options
    Kagekuri is yugioh but theres no excuse for the insane gambling

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have never heard of kakegurui and I'm 91% of the posters in here

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of exceptions to that where there's an actual poly ending and... maybe Tenchi? I can't keep straight all the different iterations of the Tenchi plot and I don't remember them very well but does he usually end up with just one girl at the end?

At the end of Macross Frontier, our hero, the Valkyrie fighter pilot Alto NEEDS to make a clear decision between his two love interests. The up and coming pop singer Ranka and the established superstar pop singer (he has a type, clearly) Sheryl. He says to them (paraphrased), "I realized something in the final battle. Both of you... are my wings!"

So yeah, he just straight up attempts the Mass Effect 1 "... well do I have to choose?" and gets away with it. I think this might develop further in the movies? I never watched em.

Movies are a different continuity because macross really only cares about canon in the loosest sense.

A lot of the relationships are different in the MacF movies, but there's a definite choice made at the end.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Kakegurui is a gambling manga which has the stakes of the gambling get way too high way too early in the series so it never has any tension, and all of the cast is completely insane, and get off on fucking other people over in a literal sense. It's entirely about trying to figure how everyone is cheating, rather than the gambling itself.

I was going to post the OP but there's an obnoxiously blatant underwear shot in the first 10 seconds or so, which is ALSO on-theme for that series.

• Options
    The Second Chance of Ocean Waves 7:54
    https://youtu.be/YYXBWucnot8

Never seen this before myself but I like to listen to this guy talk about anime

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Kakegurui is a gambling manga which has the stakes of the gambling get way too high way too early in the series so it never has any tension, and all of the cast is completely insane, and get off on fucking other people over in a literal sense. It's entirely about trying to figure how everyone is cheating, rather than the gambling itself.

I was going to post the OP but there's an obnoxiously blatant underwear shot in the first 10 seconds or so, which is ALSO on-theme for that series.

It's Gamble Fish but turned so far up even Abadani would think it's a little much. And it's not like that one shied away from the insanity either, but its protagonist at least had a strategy as opposed to being absolutely bugfuck crazy

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I don't think it's kosher to link to scanlation sites on the PA forums, so I'll just say:
    "there are many ways to be gay" by Mieri Hiranishi

@Kana since gender studies across cultures are a big deal for you, I'm really curious about the adoption of gender stereotypes within queer communities in geographically separated cultures that have big differences in cultural/legal/social history. For instance, this manga discusses the butch/femme stereotype and relationship preferences within the context of the Japanese LGBT community of the mangaka's experience, and that's a shared experience for people in the Western world. However, one forum poster points out that in the USA, there was a practical reason for these stereotypes decades ago as a result of the social environment during that time, which I don't imagine was identical in Japan. Some of the forum posters read it as "why do queer communities adopt heteronormative stereotypes?", which is also something I wondered about because I am not informed about the cultural history that surrounded these groups. What does drive the prevalence of these seemingly heteronormative roles in LGBT communities in the things you've studied? Is it just because of the social permeation of those roles (after all, the people were raised and grew up around them)?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

The season 1 OP absolutely rips, so I encourage people to check it out on Spotify or whatever (Deal with the devil - Tia).

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    theres also a live action kakeurui movie that is bad and not horny enough

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Viz licensed the manga for Chainsaw Man and Tonikaku Cawaii/Fly Me to the Moon and both will start releasing this fall.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    kakegurui gave me serious anxiety reading it. like, it was good but it was literally BIG CLIFFHANGER THE MANGA

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Kakegurui was not as good as I hoped it'd be but it did have a pretty killer OP.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    HxH
    Netero naming Pariston as his vice chairman is the most Netero-ass move imaginable

Also Ging is the fucking worst

“I heard your son is dying in the hospital.”
    “Yeah, you should visit him.”

This discussion has been closed.