As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] is the only parent I ever knew

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about The Magicians is that, throughout the 4 seasons, my top and bottom characters change a lot. I hated Penny in season 1, but started to appreciate him more later on when you found out why he was a total dick. Similarly, I liked Alice in the beginning but then she just kept getting worse.

It does a great job of not trying to make one character the best and most likable all the time.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    My favorite thing about The Magicians is that, throughout the 4 seasons, my top and bottom characters change a lot. I hated Penny in season 1, but started to appreciate him more later on when you found out why he was a total dick. Similarly, I liked Alice in the beginning but then she just kept getting worse.

It does a great job of not trying to make one character the best and most likable all the time.

Except for Josh and Margo.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Knowing him mostly from Angie Tribeca... Seeing Jere Burns not yelling in Justified is weird.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Starting watching You early this week. That was a fun first season.

The inner monologuing is hilarious, and the tidbits of his past are well sprinkled throughout the show.

Looking forward to season 2. The end of season 1 was wild.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

You misspelled Eliot.

Josh..
    Is fun in small doses but when he gets too much screen time he can definitely suck and honestly the whole him and Margo thing was the absolute worst and ugh Josh I was happier when he was dead after that.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Starting watching You early this week. That was a fun first season.

The inner monologuing is hilarious, and the tidbits of his past are well sprinkled throughout the show.

Looking forward to season 2. The end of season 1 was wild.

Season 2 really goes some places.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Am I the only one watching The Magicians that doesn't like Margo all that much? Is the problem me? The problem is usually me, I'm comfortable with that.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Peen wrote: »
    Am I the only one watching The Magicians that doesn't like Margo all that much? Is the problem me? The problem is usually me, I'm comfortable with that.

If everyone liked a character I'd say it is not a well written character.

Because we all like and associate with different people in real life. So any semi realistic well written character should only appeal to certain groups of people and and thus the purpose of a varied cast.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I should have been more specific, I like Margo the character just fine. I don't like the performance by the person who plays Margo and any attempt to explain why isnt going to work, it's just a little too much.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I will say that Margo's personality gets a fair bit of leeway because she's one of the hottest characters on a show that's got arguably the most attractive cast on TV right now.

You misspelled Eliot.

Josh..
    Is fun in small doses but when he gets too much screen time he can definitely suck and honestly the whole him and Margo thing was the absolute worst and ugh Josh I was happier when he was dead after that.
    I mentioned this in the D&D thread, but I actually thought Josh/Margo worked for where they were at, at the time. I didn't think it'd work as a long-term thing, and boy howdy did the show agree with me on that, apparently.

I actually think that Josh's laid-back good intentions and Fen's competent-but-naive about what the others don't think to tell her compliment one another well, and I hope that stays a thing.

The bit which bugs me is how everyone just forgot about their own Penny and accepted alt-Penny so rapidly.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I should have been more specific, I like Margo the character just fine. I don't like the performance by the person who plays Margo and any attempt to explain why isnt going to work, it's just a little too much.

There is a deliberateness to her that I can see grating on some people. It doesn't bother me, and she doesn't break character, so it works for me, but I can definitely see it not working for everyone.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I will say that Margo's personality gets a fair bit of leeway because she's one of the hottest characters on a show that's got arguably the most attractive cast on TV right now.

You misspelled Eliot.

Josh..
    I mentioned this in the D&D thread, but I actually thought Josh/Margo worked for where they were at, at the time. I didn't think it'd work as a long-term thing, and boy howdy did the show agree with me on that, apparently.

I actually think that Josh's laid-back good intentions and Fen's competent-but-naive about what the others don't think to tell her compliment one another well, and I hope that stays a thing.

The bit which bugs me is how everyone just forgot about their own Penny and accepted alt-Penny so rapidly.
    I definitely agree that Josh Fen feels like it works better. They have to show them interacting that way a bit more still but it feels like it could work out.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    They said that this season's gonna be the last one, right?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The show definitely does some strong work. Early on Q and Eliot were by far my least favorite characters, but by the end of season 3 (and especially throughout season 4), they were the highlights of the show for me, especially together.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Stranger Things should stop when the profit dries up and not a moment sooner

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I watched ep 1 of the Netflix Dracula when it came out, but only got around to watching ep 2 yesterday. On the surface it's not as ridiculous as ep 1, but
    the only reason Dracula has any problems is because he can't stop killing. And it makes me upset that this dumbass vampire gets away alive.

Peewi on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Ready to watch potty mouths blow up draculas

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh man, I am so ready for more Wu Jen vampires.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    here's hoping they give Sypha all the coolest shit again

• Options
    dirtbag satan from Righteous Gemstones giving another great performance in the most recent Superstore

scott macarthur should be on every show

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Remember that bit where she makes an ice wall and then a vampire jumps on it to run at her and then

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Is Superstore better now? The last few episodes we watched were... Not great.

• Options
    it's getting steadily better than it was at the beginning of the season, yeah

• Options
    That's good. It seemed like it was nearing a cliff for a while there.

• Options
    It's rebounded nicely.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

You misspelled Eliot.

Josh..

original recipe penny was a fucking asshole, and everything bad that happened to him was entirely his own fault

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

You misspelled Eliot.

Josh..

original recipe penny was a fucking asshole, and everything bad that happened to him was entirely his own fault

I see this take a lot, but I don't really agree. Penny being brusque and kind of a dick isn't really in question, but he definitely suffers disproportionately for any transgressions.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Voice cast has been revealed for Kevin Smith's Netflix animated Masters of the Universe: Revelation show

Mark Hamill as Skeletor
    Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn
    Chris Wood as He-Man/Prince Adam
    Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela
    Liam Cunningham as Man-At-Arms
    Stephen Root as Cringer
    Diedrich Bader as King Randor/Trap Jaw
    Griffin Newman as Orko
    Tiffany Smith as Andra
    Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops
    Alan Oppenheimer as Moss Man
    Susan Eisenberg as Sorceress
    Alicia Silverstone as Queen Marlena
    Justin Long as Roboto
    Jason Mewes as Stinkor
    Phil LaMarr as He-Ro
    Tony Todd as Scare Glow
    Cree Summer as Priestess
    Kevin Michael Richardson as Beast Man
    Kevin Conroy as Mer-Man
    Harley Quinn Smith as Ileena

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    They said that this season's gonna be the last one, right?

I don’t believe so. I think they’ve always said four to five seasons and that they don’t want to overstay their welcome. But I don’t think there’s been an explicit “this will be the final season”

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Does anyone else watch The Masked Singer

And if so are you as angry as I am that nothing can kill the White Tiger when he's both awful and it's INCREDIBLY obvious who he is.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

And if so are you as angry as I am that nothing can kill the White Tiger when he's both awful and it's INCREDIBLY obvious who he is.

the people love a rapping football player, man

but also seriously if it’s anyone but Gronk then it’s the con of the century

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

He beat out Chaka Khan

What the fuck

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I finished up Dracula. It's so fucking stupid. And not in a fun way.
    They just let Dracula go for no reason! I guess they really want to keep their shit secret, but there's never given a reason why.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Those are some names for Masters of the Universe, though I feel like a third of them have zero voice acting experience

Either way the only name that matters is Kevin Smith, as in "Are you excited for Kevin Smith's nostalgia based take on He-Man rooted firmly in the continuity from the 80's cartoon and toyline?"

"Nah, man nah."

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I don't think Kevin Smith is writing on it? He's got Marc Bernardin on that, and he knows a thing or two about not pandering to nostalgia (at least without earning it or having it rooted in something meaningful, based off his review or RoTS).

I hated 80's cartoons growing up though so I have no dog in this fight.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I feel like using Mark Hamill as your main villain in a cartoon is cheating.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular

The thing I like(d?) about The Masked Singer was how talent-first it all was. White Tiger is ruining this when even he's incredulous that people keep voting for him.

He's running out of songs he can poorly white-rap to, though. He's exhausted the known catalog.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Honestly a He-Man cartoon in 2020 only exists out of nostalgia

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.