As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wolcen] Out of EA Today (2/13)! Servers online, but shakey.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I ran into a bug where I lost all sounds except voices once I hit the town square. Decided to call it a night since it was late anyway. Running a mage lady for now, we'll see where that goes.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've had the same thing happen twice. During the tutorial when fighting the big fella and then again in the town square.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I really want to respec but um, it wants 9k gold and i've never had more than 2k..urg. respec passive wants 500, i have 227, and i've *never* spent any of the purple crap it uses, been eating every duplicate skill drop i get to get it too

Gold is still slow coming in but most extra skill things I get now are giving me +100 essence or w/e it's called. I've got more than enough to respect passives if I need to. I get the feeling that it won't be too hard to respec later on.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    I really want to respec but um, it wants 9k gold and i've never had more than 2k..urg. respec passive wants 500, i have 227, and i've *never* spent any of the purple crap it uses, been eating every duplicate skill drop i get to get it too

Gold is still slow coming in but most extra skill things I get now are giving me +100 essence or w/e it's called. I've got more than enough to respect passives if I need to. I get the feeling that it won't be too hard to respec later on.

Yeah they do, but i've only gotten 3 dupe skill drops (lvl 20 ATM) and it wants 900... , so 7 more

edit:unrelated; just got my first unique, they look awesome in this =0 giant icy spiky ball on the end of a stick? yes plz

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting a bug where your inventory/stash/vendors don't open when you click them in town? I hear the audio for the opens, but nothing appears on my screen..

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I decided to go aether focused on this magic user because I like the look of the skills. Then I got a unique staff that's basically buff everything aether forever.

Yeah so, this is a good game.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I think, so far, my only real gripe is that the background music is pretty forgettable ambient stuff. Thankfully the Van Helsing soundtrack is always here to liven up my ARPG fun times.
    https://youtu.be/TjzSsJQFYwE

Alan Silvestri is just too good at his job.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The servers still seem to be on fire. No update from the developer since the "new servers will be online in a couple of hours" tweet earlier today.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The servers still seem to be on fire. No update from the developer since the "new servers will be online in a couple of hours" tweet earlier today.

Are you having issues trying to launch a private game? It can take me a try or two but I've been getting in fairly reliably since they launched the new servers.

EDIT: Woo, Act 1 done!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    If I understand correctly, anybody can respec into anything, but it's expensive so you probably still want multiple characters to play alts. How much account wide progression is there?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    So this looks neat! I'm assuming the offline play and online are separate? Like I can't make a character offline and then play him online when the servers stop being on fire?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    So this looks neat! I'm assuming the offline play and online are separate? Like I can't make a character offline and then play him online when the servers stop being on fire?

Correct.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Played for a few hours last night and it was good. Nothing amazing but still fun and I’ll continue playing.

I had an issue selling stuff oddly enough, sometimes I’d have to click 10 times for it to register which became a pain with full inventory.

Also getting tons of skill drops for archer and mage but only 2 for warrior which is what I’m using.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Thanks! I figured it would lead to D2 open style cheat city if they did that, so makes sense! That's probably for the best -- I'm super tempted but also just picked up Iceborne for Monster Hunter, so I'll wait on this a bit until the servers stop being on fire.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah servers were decent for about an hour earlier today but now I'm getting the 'Can't create game session' bug.

I made a Sentinel/Ranger. Going White Arrow and Arms Master I think. Bow skills feel real good, the Sniper Shot is fucking amazing. Way better than whatever the Multi-shot is called. The turret is underwhelming, it doesn't auto target and only shoots forward. You can pick it up off the ground and shoot people though which is dope.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I’m enjoying the spell effects, especially in caves where the light from them is more apparent.

On the other hand, last night I forgot to mention that I was briefly dualweilding a sword and pistol, which made the basic attack a mix of both. That’ll probably be a really fun combo too.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    Heads up if your save got borked. From the forums:
    solution :

Go to : C:\Users\xxxx\Saved Games\wolcen\savegames\characters
    Open XXXX.json

Go to :
    "Progression": {
    "LastPlayed": {
    "QuestId": "INTRO_Quest1",
    "StepId": 1

Change INTRO_Quest1 with "ACT2_Quest1"

the 1 can be changed, test to see how many quest you had made by changing the number

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Decided to spring for this, because depression is a butt. Made basically straight cabalist currently - Pistol/Focus, using Thunderstrike to kill weaklings and generate rage, then firing Havoc Orbs (Currently setup to be a missile + do bleed) to kill heavies.

So basically i'm fantasty samus arran.

Melted one of the late act 1 subbosses so fast it was hilarious. Really want to find a pistol with +toxic or something, so i can double up on offensive dots on my projectiles.

Sinking my stats into Toughness, with a roughly equal mix of Ferocity (So i get crit status from the cabalist tree) and Wisdom

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I saw this on the steam front page yesterday. Looks cool, but I think I'll give it a bit more time to get any early bugs and balancing out of the way before jumping in.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I've made a ranger type in single player, its pretty fun. Going towards the White Arrow class area as well.

I also started a magey kinda dude online. Not yet sure how I'm going to build this guy. I'm hoping I can mainly play online, so the offline character will only really get played when there are online issues. Still though I could see eventually having multiple characters of different builds. Even though you can respec it probably makes sense to have multiple characters for different builds.

I wonder if there will be a league/season system at some point? Have they said anything about that?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    This game looks like serious competition for Blizzard. With D4 years off, I wonder if the Arpg crown could be stolen.

That crowns been gone for years.

This game looks super good, I'll be hopping on it tonight.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    One thing i'm stumped on is where to go in the third wheel, there's only a few things that seem to focus on ailment damage. Kinda wondering if i should tinker with the Frost archer thing, or something? The raaah i'm on fire stuff would tank the whole spellcasting stratergy as far as i can tell.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Managed to get in for an hour last night after a client patch, it seems pretty legit. At the risk of sounding cliche I got some Dark Souls vibes from the melee combat - more zoomed in with way more deliberate animations, but good impact and much beefier animations than say PoE. I like the dodge rolls and the built in dash attack. I'm sure it gets way zippier in the endgame, but overall it seems to compete with D3 in combat feel which is rare.

Zek on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Zek wrote: »
    Managed to get in for an hour last night after a client patch, it seems pretty legit. At the risk of sounding cliche I got some Dark Souls vibes from the melee combat - more zoomed in with way more deliberate animations, but good impact and much beefier animations than say PoE. I like the dodge rolls and the built in dash attack. I'm sure it gets way zippier in the endgame, but overall it seems to compete with D3 in combat feel which is rare.

Having played D3 recently, I feel like its controls are really really overrated these days. The only thing that really stands out is the melee weapon combat, but even that has kind of aged a lot. PoE made up some ground with animation canceling on melee, but I still feel its magic and (especially) ranged combat is leagues ahead of D3.

I'm curious to see how this games melee combat fares.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Right, never mind i can just not take that node. unforuantely, i dont seem to be able to get past act 1 - like i've finished the story, but my game is just crashing/blackscreening/being a general butt when i go to start things up for the second act.

Edit: Ha, complaining about it did the trick. It was just a very, very long loading screen.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options

Having played D3 recently, I feel like its controls are really really overrated these days. The only thing that really stands out is the melee weapon combat, but even that has kind of aged a lot. PoE made up some ground with animation canceling on melee, but I still feel its magic and (especially) ranged combat is leagues ahead of D3.

I'm not talking about controls but rather the gameplay feel, D3 is the reigning champion of pure lizard brain satisfaction on the feedback in animation/graphics/sound.

• Options

I'm not talking about controls but rather the gameplay feel, D3 is the reigning champion of pure lizard brain satisfaction on the feedback in animation/graphics/sound.

Eh

I think having a 60 unit army of the undead just melt everything on screen into a pile of gibs or shattering half a map with vortex/frostbolt is 100% up there.

D3 hasn't had the care or effort put into it that GD or PoE have over the years, and it's really showing these days.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there seem to be some performance issues present in this release that werent in the beta... getting really peculiar frame drops / stutters and the game has stopped saving my progress in act 2 - the fix, btw, is to go into your users/saved games folder and edit the quest id in your characters save file, which is, uh, yeah

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    there seem to be some performance issues present in this release that werent in the beta... getting really peculiar frame drops / stutters and the game has stopped saving my progress in act 2 - the fix, btw, is to go into your users/saved games folder and edit the quest id in your characters save file, which is, uh, yeah

Indie 1.0 af

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also half the graphics settings have been broken at some point in the last 6 months

fullscreen? not actually fullscreen unless you reset it on starting the game. the fps limiter? does literally nothing (running 160 with it set to 143). thonking_face

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    also half the graphics settings have been broken at some point in the last 6 months

fullscreen? not actually fullscreen unless you reset it on starting the game. the fps limiter? does literally nothing (running 160 with it set to 143). thonking_face

Somebody, somewhere, is already putting together molecular chains of chemicals in their brain that will recall this period as "the good old days" a few years down the line when the devs make a change they don't like.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean I honestly do find issues of this nature kind of charming. Honest to goodness indie screwups from a studio with a lot of heart but not 900 devs chained to desks doing 100 hours a week of crunch.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Dev update : https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/

Ive hit quite a few bugs so far, thankfully none of which required more than a restart but I've just finished act 2 (online character) and so far I'm really enjoying it. A lot of the skills are just more fun to use than anything else in any recent ARPGs. Also I went full warrior and just got the passive that turns all your willpower generation into rage generation and squee! I have become death.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I read that Wolcen is a 12 person studio somewhere, not sure if accurate but if it is then they're doing a great job.

Edit - Sorry, 13.
    Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is made in Nice, France by a team of 13. People came from all over the country to be a part of the team, and all the available space is now filled in the office !
    7s3vbhzkw8px.png

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Only technical issue I've run into is 4K somehow being sub 60 with 1440P at the same settings being like 120/130 FPS, but only at fullscreen.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    From what I've heard about the early access period, it sounds like this is another success story of a game that started out pretty crappy and turned things around because of devs putting in years of hard work, sort of like Warframe, No Man's Sky, etc. I'm of a mind to reward studios that treat their games that way. Fucked up servers at launch are a classic symptom of a game blowing up beyond the expectations of its developers, especially indie studios. If they fix it within a week I'd be happy with that. I remember Apex Legends doing way worse than that.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The only bug I've run into so far is the Act 1 endboss got locked into an invulnerable animation. At 5% hp. I was a little sad to have to go through it again.

• Options
    From what I've heard about the early access period, it sounds like this is another success story of a game that started out pretty crappy and turned things around because of devs putting in years of hard work, sort of like Warframe, No Man's Sky, etc. I'm of a mind to reward studios that treat their games that way. Fucked up servers at launch are a classic symptom of a game blowing up beyond the expectations of its developers, especially indie studios. If they fix it within a week I'd be happy with that. I remember Apex Legends doing way worse than that.

I never get mad at small studios having server issues, tbh.

It is what it is.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Wolcen has been in my library since July 2016. Every so often I'd fire it up, see how it progressed, then put it back on the shelf for a while. It is absolutely what you describe there. These devs deserve lots of kudos and support for what they've put out and what they did with the "early access" process.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Wasn't it called Umbra at some point in time?