As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Hmm, this very first cutscene divulges a pretty neat detail!
    Alois mentioned the fire, presumably the one Jeralt started as cover to sneak out, was 21 years prior to the game's start, which means Byleth's canonically 21 years old.

also holy shit they're all 25-27 while you're only 20 on Hard and their Crests are terrifying!

You can work out Byleth’s precise birth date using information in the main game!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If I play through the new side story, will it be "unlocked" when I start a new campaign, or do I have to start a new campaign before doing the side story to import stuff from it?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Turambar wrote: »
    If I play through the new side story, will it be "unlocked" when I start a new campaign, or do I have to start a new campaign before doing the side story to import stuff from it?

You don't need to start a new game before doing Side Story, no. I still only have my endgame and cleared save files of Verdant Wind and I was able to start Ashen Wolves.

I'm pretty sure omce you finish AW once it permanently unlocks the characters for all save files. Provided the saves are in Part 1.

Mx. Quill on
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    No supports between the 3 House leaders?! Outrageous! The DLC for this game has been a little disappointing for me overall. I guess the 4 new classes are nice, but overall a bit meh? I suppose I should finish the side story before making any final decisions, but I can't help but feel I wanted a little more. Admittedly I think anything short of another path through the game would never have really satisfied me fully.

Of course I also played the game for 220ish hours so far and am only one mission into the side story so I can't exactly complain about how engaging the game is. I just have unreasonably high demands of DLC it seems based on what I see released as DLC.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Oh my god

Constance is...she's...
    ...a girl Ferdinand

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Oh my god

Constance is...she's...
    ...a girl Ferdinand

I don't suppose there's a support between them?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Constance is, maybe, my favorite character in the game. I got her to be MVP and it gave her unique dialogue in the after battle where she gloated about how good she was.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    So I'm about to start this...any tips to avoid really bad/common mistakes early? Not trying for a turbo-optimal run or anything.

I've played other FE games, so I know the basics, and I play with perma-death on if that's optional like it was on the 3DS game.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    So I'm about to start this...any tips to avoid really bad/common mistakes early? Not trying for a turbo-optimal run or anything.

I've played other FE games, so I know the basics, and I play with perma-death on if that's optional like it was on the 3DS game.

What house are you?

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

You probably don't want to stray too far from the most obvious class paths for most characters. If someone seems like they're going to be a healer, make them one. In the same vein, look through the Advanced and Master classes after a few chapters and try to have an idea where you want people to end up so you know where to focus training. You've got some wiggle room, but you aren't going to get getting every character S rank in every skill.

Flying is very good but not many have the talent for it. Try to have at least 2 of your party set up for it.

Terrendos on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Generally units will tell you what they want through their training interests. And they are good at those, so if you follow those you can’t go wrong. Some units will have hidden talents (signifies by three star markings next to the skill) that if trained enough, becomes a strength to them and is another option for them to go down.

never die on
    edited February 2020
    more general preferences/tips:

The game is maybe too easy on normal, so i'd recommend playing on hard if you've played one of these before. Permadeath isn't as much of an issue because of a mechanic you unlock very early even if you turn it on.

Don't spend too much time trying to recruit EVERYONE on that first run - it drastically slows down the pace of the game when you start trying to plan lessons and stuff and most of the recruits don't actually participate in story content, just in the relationship/conversation stuff. But do get characters whose personalities you like.

Hidden talents are generally good on most characters (the ones with 3 stars next to them) but not always. It's probably worth at least unlocking them. Otherwise probably stick to their talents and keep them on their paths.

Try to do enough stuff around the monastery for professor rank so that you can appropriately train up your students, but if you start to get bored it's OK to step away from it after quickly spending your professor points. The monastery is a great idea but actually risks gettin real damn tedious if you delve too deep into it, especially on subsequent playthroughs. I wish they had broken the monastery into days with one or two actions per day Persona style instead of weeks, because it's hard to realize how much having those Social Link convos in the middle of all the running around town helps with pacing until you have professor level 9 and have to run in circles around the entire monastery doing the things you want to do.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if there IS a character you want to recruit, give them their favorite gifts and have meals with them to raise them to B rank rather than trying to raise your own skills in things you don't really want.

rhylith on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Recruit Bernie and Lysithea ASAP

Mx. Quill on

I mean, they're powerful and also the best, but I think on a first playthrough you should just kinda do whatever. I messed up by trying too hard to min/max and recruit everyone on the first one and it made my second one a huge chore that I burned out by around ch 9.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I mean, they're powerful and also the best, but I think on a first playthrough you should just kinda do whatever. I messed up by trying too hard to min/max and recruit everyone on the first one and it made my second one a huge chore that I burned out by around ch 9.

Yeah, every house is pretty well balanced without recruiting anyone, but there are some standouts for picking up. Bernie though is less for being a powerhouse and more just helping her out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Something to tack on to the skills training thing: the weapon triangle exists only by vaguest technicality in this game; somewhere around B rank mastery you unlock an optional/equippable skill that gives the character 20 Hit and Avoid when fighting their preferred target. However, there is also a general ability for each weapon that improves Hit, Avoid, and Crit Avoid while using that weapon which is nearly as good, and enemies rarely have their weapon triangle skill even on Hard. Consequently, you don't get nearly as much benefit out of being proficient in two weapons as you would in previous Fire Emblem games, and if you do practice a second weapon, Bows give you more for your time.

As for "gotchas", four out of the eight Master classes require Riding and Lances, both of which aren't really on the training path for anything that would normally be approaching those endpoints. (Snipers, Knights, Mages, and Clerics may spontaneously sprout a horse at Master level, to put it another way.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited February 2020

This amuses me more than it should, really.

Claude want fuit gummy

Mx. Quill on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

What house are you?

Haven’t picked yet. Does it matter much beyond story flavor?

What house are you?

Oh very much so, yes.

What house are you?

There are a handful of other things, but I won’t get into it much for spoiler reasons. Let me know who you pick and I’ll let you know if the specific thing I was thinking of applies to you.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Woo, another brother began playing Fire Emblem. He’s enjoying Three Houses so far and finds it intriguing enough to play more than one route.

I need to download and play the latest dlc; I paid for the pass early on and so far the only thing I’ve enjoyed about it is Byleth’s glasses, so time to go get my money’s worth...

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Someone please tell me how the DLC is, as someone who hasn't played any of Three Houses yet. I'm curious if it carries stuff over to the main story that would be worth playing first or if like, the story won't make any sense, stuff like that.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    You should really not start Three Houses with the DLC. Do another route first so you learn the characters & setting first.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    My biggest point of advice for first time players is that going for class masteries without know what they are is a bit of a fool's errand. Also Petra and Leonie are way better as Pegasus Knights than archers as the game wants you to make them. Like, way way hella better.

Kupi wrote: »
    Something to tack on to the skills training thing: the weapon triangle exists only by vaguest technicality in this game; somewhere around B rank mastery you unlock an optional/equippable skill that gives the character 20 Hit and Avoid when fighting their preferred target. However, there is also a general ability for each weapon that improves Hit, Avoid, and Crit Avoid while using that weapon which is nearly as good, and enemies rarely have their weapon triangle skill even on Hard. Consequently, you don't get nearly as much benefit out of being proficient in two weapons as you would in previous Fire Emblem games, and if you do practice a second weapon, Bows give you more for your time.

As for "gotchas", four out of the eight Master classes require Riding and Lances, both of which aren't really on the training path for anything that would normally be approaching those endpoints. (Snipers, Knights, Mages, and Clerics may spontaneously sprout a horse at Master level, to put it another way.)

It's worth noting that the Master classes also aren't strict upgrades for many paths. Cleric to Holy Knight comes to mind as it switches from defensive to offensive focus. None of them are strictly bad as options, but don't feel like you have to upgrade the last step to get more from your characters.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

It's worth noting that the Master classes also aren't strict upgrades for many paths. Cleric to Holy Knight comes to mind as it switches from defensive to offensive focus. None of them are strictly bad as options, but don't feel like you have to upgrade the last step to get more from your characters.

Well, the flying classes are strict upgrades.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Dropped the difficulty for my Golden Deer run from Maddening to Hard. I found Maddening to be more frustrating than fun difficulty (like creative challenges) and kind of now wish there was a difficulty level between Hard and Maddening cause I think it might hit the sweet spot for me.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Dropped the difficulty for my Golden Deer run from Maddening to Hard. I found Maddening to be more frustrating than fun difficulty (like creative challenges) and kind of now wish there was a difficulty level between Hard and Maddening cause I think it might hit the sweet spot for me.

That difficulty does apparently exist, but unfortunately it's called "Cindered Shadows on Hard".

Yeah Maddening just goes into the straight unfair territory. My Crimson Sky Maddening* run highlighted that when Quick Riposte was on so many enemies from stupid early on while Caspar never managed to even learn it despite my best efforts to grind him through. It's dream team or bust which is fun for me in a way, but also takes out a lot of the fun bits of the diverse cast.

Side note: Am I the only one who uses Mercedes offensively? She is a god damn beast with magic and healing. I love using her as bait to just wipe out units that dive on her because the AI prioritizes healers.

*I dropped it to Hard for the final mission. I am 90% certain I could have found a way to win, but I just did not have the energy to power through learning it.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Yeah Maddening just goes into the straight unfair territory. My Crimson Sky Maddening* run highlighted that when Quick Riposte was on so many enemies from stupid early on while Caspar never managed to even learn it despite my best efforts to grind him through. It's dream team or bust which is fun for me in a way, but also takes out a lot of the fun bits of the diverse cast.

Side note: Am I the only one who uses Mercedes offensively? She is a god damn beast with magic and healing. I love using her as bait to just wipe out units that dive on her because the AI prioritizes healers.

*I dropped it to Hard for the final mission. I am 90% certain I could have found a way to win, but I just did not have the energy to power through learning it.

Mercedes, like all casters, melts faces

You know what's funny? The AI doesn't seem to prioritize healers, the AI seems to prioritize whoever they have the best combat card against. Like, it seems they'll take a 100% chance to do 1 damage to your Fortress Knight over a 70% chance to do 40 to your Pegasus Knight with an archer. At first I thought it was just damage divided by hit chance, so they went with whatever had the most raw damage, but after an archer didn't shoot Constance in favor of shooting Edelgard, I'm not as sure. I know your unit's hit points are also a factor, in that they will typically go for wounded units much more often when possible.

Constance rules.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    You know what's funny? The AI doesn't seem to prioritize healers, the AI seems to prioritize whoever they have the best combat card against. Like, it seems they'll take a 100% chance to do 1 damage to your Fortress Knight over a 70% chance to do 40 to your Pegasus Knight with an archer. At first I thought it was just damage divided by hit chance, so they went with whatever had the most raw damage, but after an archer didn't shoot Constance in favor of shooting Edelgard, I'm not as sure. I know your unit's hit points are also a factor, in that they will typically go for wounded units much more often when possible.

I think how much damage you do in return is also a factor. Like they'll rather do less damage in favor of surviving the retaliation

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb

That difficulty does apparently exist, but unfortunately it's called "Cindered Shadows on Hard".

I started the DLC today, and it's totally true and I love it. Cindered Shadows has been a blast for me. Challenging enough to get me to think and really pay attention, but not unfair really. The gimmicks of each chapter have been fun to learn and do. Having a set team at the beginning means they can easily plan around what you can do, and the newer abilities (like Yuri's Trickster ability) allow you to do some really fun synergy.

Also I really like all of the Ashen Wolves? Hapi is great, Coco is a blast, Balthus is a beast in combat, and I love the battlefied silliness you can get with Yuri.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I just finished the DLC on Hard yesterday and I absolutely agree that it was the perfect difficulty. Kinda makes me wish for a full game that is this structured, so that the difficulty can be that much more balanced.

Probably gonna start my third playthrough today. Was definitely considering going on Maddening, but maybe I'll reconsider.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    After I do the DLC on Hard I'll probably do a Crimson Flower run on Maddening

But it's NG+ Maddening. They want to bring the noise? That's cool. I'm bringing the noise, too

dN0T6ur.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Finished Cindered Shadows
    I am still firmly team Rhea Killed Your Mom.

Byleth: So my heart didn't beat when I was born?

Rhea: ...... sure, yeah, let's go with that

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Enemies 7 levels higher than my Units on Mission 2: Ya ha ha! We, the Blue Lions and Golden Deer, will win this battle!

My Team: We have multiple fully leveled copies of the best battalions in the game, and Caspar has Quick Riposte for some reason

E7LHTMYUOM2: argh, we are vanquished

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Joe Zieja is the voice actor for Claude von Riegan and is seen here cosplaying as Claude von Riegan.