As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    "Deth" is pretty edgy but "mold" has a distinctly self-loathing vibe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Couscous wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I remember reading the promo stuff for Quake in like... Commander Keen 1?

Back then you were a demigod, or something.

sRmglTy.gif
    A completely new approach to fantasy gaming.

All the the people you meet have their own lives, personalities and objectives.

And the depth of play will be intense. No more "whack whack here's some gold." There will be interesting puzzles and decisions won't be "yes/no" but complex correlations of people and events.

Wow, who knew Fable was being developed as early as Commander Keen

Donnicton on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0zT-at719k

Table Manners from the folks who brought us Human Fall Flat (another game I need to beat still).

Karoz on
    It seems like "every NPC has their own schedule and desires and complicated social life" has been some weird goal for a long long time, I recall Bethesda banging on about it for Oblivion and Skyrim and man I just do not care that Skittles the Scullery Cat eats a pickled pepper in the basement of the tavern at midnight every night

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    edit: way the fuck beat

3cl1ps3 on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It seems like "every NPC has their own schedule and desires and complicated social life" has been some weird goal for a long long time, I recall Bethesda banging on about it for Oblivion and Skyrim and man I just do not care that Skittles the Scullery Cat eats a pickled pepper in the basement of the tavern at midnight every night

It means I can rob Skittles's cat shack blind while he is out.

I am collecting cabbages and will be throwing them all in a massive system crippling way when I collect a 1000 of them.

Also just random pots and pans. The chest that I literally dump everything into because the sale prices are diddly squat is now taking several seconds to load the contents when I open it.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The sequel to Sands Of Time is one of the weirdest fucking decisions in games history

It was a buggy ambitious tone-deaf mess that still had some good shit in it.

Then The Two Thrones managed to tie both games together in a way that was cool both narratively and mechanically.

Yeah this reminded of why I really loved the Sands of Time trilogy and did a replay a few years back and wish they did a remaster.

Warrior Within got stupid grim and the PA comic does a good job of encapsulating that but when Two Thrones retroactively makes it great and redeems it? A+ in my book.

Plus it has time travel and I'm a sucker for that hence why the Legacy of Kain series is one of my favorites if not the favorite after Blizzard's fall from grace.

The grimdark aesthetic on WW was pretty gratuitous, but the branching platforming exploration and combat system were both pretty ambitious for the time.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

harvest moon has been doing this for years it ain't even a thing

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

I think the idea was to make it seem like a living breathing world.

Which doesn't work out because you bet your arse I'm going to barge into your tent and wake you up, fuck you. I just killed 6 people in that weird tower's cellar. Do you think I give a fuck about your sleep schedule?

It seems like a lot of work for something 98% of players dont give a fuck about or it's not a lot of work and it's something 98% of players dont give a fuck about and it's very shallow and lame

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    NPCs had schedules in Ultima V back in 1988

they'd go home from shops at night and go out into the fields during the day

it was kinda neat by also broke some quests

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It was entertaining if anything i guess
    I love Radiata stories if anyone knows what it is

Peas on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I dunno, given the popularity of The Sims, Hitman, games like Dwarf Fortress and a plethora of titles in those genres, NPCs with schedules can be a pretty engaging mechanic for a lot of people, even if it's not for you. Like, in the original Gothic NPCs have their schedules and it really made the game come alive for me, even aside the gameplay perks it added (can't rob someone's hut if they're awake and in eyesight).

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I want to have to make an appointment to meet with an NPC and I want there to be some NPCs that are really fucking flaky about keeping to those appointments.

I'm just trying to return your goblin buttholes to you, GERALD, why are you never home??

I am absolutely positive that in my initial argument I accounted for the player base who are invested in the pickled pepper proclivities of Skittles the Scullery Cat

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Just having schedules isn't a big deal, there were SNES games which had those and they were also fairly easy to create in RPGmaker

TES Radiant AI gave us moments like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezOPt7ARM1o

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think that clip is a pretty good endorsement of the system tbh

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    One of my strongest Skyrim memories was a thieves guild radiant quest where I had to steal a thing that was like, on or right by someone's dinner table.

I got into the house right as the whole family was sitting down to eat, and while my stealth was good enough to generally not be noticed, I didn't have invis and couldn't get to the target without being spotted cause there was somebody looking at every approach.

So I just hopped on top of a cabinet by their table and crouched there for several in game hours watching them eat like a creeper vulture until they went to bed.

steam_sig.png
    I think that clip is pretty funny in a "deranged busted hilarious Bethesda shit" sort of way but not in a "good thing" sort of way

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I dunno, given the popularity of The Sims, Hitman, games like Dwarf Fortress and a plethora of titles in those genres, NPCs with schedules can be a pretty engaging mechanic for a lot of people, even if it's not for you. Like, in the original Gothic NPCs have their schedules and it really made the game come alive for me, even aside the gameplay perks it added (can't rob someone's hut if they're awake and in eyesight).

The game design has to specifically build around it as a core game mechanic though, just having NPCs doing their schedule Bethesda's style for ambience has never really done anything for me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    For those in the EU, The Divison 2 is now 3€ in the EU Ubi store too:
    w6qt7bxccaqi.jpg

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    The game design has to specifically build around it as a core game mechanic though, just having NPCs doing their schedule Bethesda's style for ambience has never really done anything for me.
    I wouldn't really use Bethesda as a measuring stick for anything but jank.

Can you fight? 0:57
    https://youtu.be/bS96QAcq43U

This is not related to the discussion I just want to post some oblivion stuff too

The eternal fight between the mages and guards at the magess guild headquarters in Oblivion that occasionally happened due to radiant AI as great.

I am still not sure how that bug happens.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    A day and night cycle in an RPG means that you can have the kind of moody night quests on empty streets that are a lot harder to do when everyone is out and about but the screen is a bit darker.

RPGs at their best are about stories. Day and night cycles, when done well, create new storytelling opportunities.

The same for NPCs with schedules. It’s just another design tool that can be used well or poorly.

Phillishere on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This is my favorite Skyrim video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Oblivion is always a laugh for bugs.

The door to Harborside Warehouse in Anvil has the wrong owner, which sometimes results in Wilhelm the Worm being killed for trespassing.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think that clip is pretty funny in a "deranged busted hilarious Bethesda shit" sort of way but not in a "good thing" sort of way

Deranged busted hilarious Bethesda shit is exactly what I go to an Elder Scrolls game for and I never want them to change.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    The only good moment in Skyrim:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sTgUm8VEWiU

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Crime
    NPCs capable of respawning, such as Mage Apprentices, Mage Scholars, and Battlehorn Men-at-Arms, will have their bounty restored when they respawn. This can result in guards always attacking them on sight, even if they never committed a crime since they came back to life. This can cause areas like the Arcane University (where Imperial Legion Battlemages are stationed) to be engulfed in combat every time the cell resets. However, the guards themselves don't seem to be affected by this glitch if they were to kill someone, even another guard, by accident.
    Oh, so that is why.
    Multiple unreported, zero-bounty crimes may cause instability in the game; to clear the list of unreported crimes, assault an NPC or take some other action that causes a reported crime, and pay the bounty.
    If you ask Ja'Fazir to yield after entering the Blackwood Company hall, he will accept. You will have to kill him or pickpocket him to obtain Jeetum-Ze's room key, resulting in a crime.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I played so much Skyrim. I reinstall every now and then but they keep updating and breaking mods and some people have all but abandoned their Skyrim mods for other games, which makes sense of course, and I'll be dead in the ground before I go back to playing vanilla.

Same thing keeps happening to fallout 4 grumble grumble.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think the only major questline I ever completed in Skyrim was the Companions, and I still got like 200 hours in it. Those games are just playgrounds for me.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I played Skyrim again a few weeks ago and it still owns.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I loved Skyrim mage school so much

It's just a shame it was only like 6 quests long and then you're the arch mage.

edited February 2020
    Brolo wrote: »
    I loved Skyrim mage school so much

It's just a shame it was only like 6 quests long and then you're the arch mage.

Oblivion's was kind of just there in comparison. Same with the fighter's guild.

I couldn't even join the necromancers or lead them after taking out their leader. The necromancers seem like the sort that would go with killing the old head making you the new head.

Black soul gems are just convenient and necromancy should totally be legal.

Couscous on
    So if I don't hand over this big glowy ball, the entire place will be destroyed? I kind of want to see it. Can I just let it happen? No? Awwww.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like the thieves guild a lot but it's a real slog and I've still never become the master thief (or whatever it's called) because of how the last part works

mage college is like...almost good, a lot of the pieces are there, but it's still weird that you wind up being the archmage

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hah, the new factory cart in Satisfactory is extremely dumb and good. And it works with jump pads! I look forward to the inevitable obstacle course racing scene with great interest.

o37cimwspm8x.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I'm 80 hours into Witcher 3 now. With all the sidequests I have left and then both the DLCs I would guess I could get another 80 more out of it. And the whole time I'm playing I keep thinking "I can't wait to replay this."

This discussion has been closed.