As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    re: heat in that case, all I can think of are concerns if you left it sitting out on a park bench in the sun. Like, imagine if it was a solid metal case that got burning hot to the touch, I would worry about the Switch inside. But wood is a pretty good insulator and that shouldn't be a problem.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    What do you need to worry about thermals for? You're not playing the Switch in that thing.

but you're putting the switch in there after playing it.

How hot are your Switches after playing it???

Mugatu-So-Hot-Right-Now.jpg

This is the first time I'm wondering who those two people are behind Mugatu.

Gwen Stefani of No Doubt and Gavin Rossdale of Bush

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    What do you need to worry about thermals for? You're not playing the Switch in that thing.

And Owen Wilson?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    akjak wrote: »

And Owen Wilson?

If someone knows the name of the character Mugatu they probably aren't referring to Owen Wilson since he is an actual character in that movie.

DemonStacey on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Gwen Stefani of No Doubt and Gavin Rossdale of Bush Constantine

It’s weird to watch somebody become ephemera.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Thank you. I figured they were famous, just couldn't place names to the faces. Way off topic.

In more on topic news, my kids have come full circle back to playing Splatoon 2 constantly again. This time mostly single-player challenges to unlock super weapons or some such.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    re: heat in that case, all I can think of are concerns if you left it sitting out on a park bench in the sun. Like, imagine if it was a solid metal case that got burning hot to the touch, I would worry about the Switch inside. But wood is a pretty good insulator and that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah i mean it looks like you'd remove the switch from the case to play.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2020
    By the way I have an important notice.

Last night for some reason I had a dream that Nintendo unveiled a new line of games that were all short, offbeat, budget titles featuring one character from Smash. Sort of along the lines of Captain Toad. Faster development time, weird little experiences sold for $20.

The only specific game I can remember is this one:

iHPPaKr.png

The black cover is very important. All the games had a pitch black cover with the character in the middle. It was sort of like a modern take on the old NES black box series.

The gameplay looked sort of like this:

uf9W1hj.png

I am not saying Nintendo should do this. I don't even know if I would like them to do this. All I am saying is that it was very real in my dream so it's essentially guaranteed to happen.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    That wooden case for some reason reminds me of that episode of futurama where bender replaced his entire body with one made of wood.

I don't know why.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dreams are the only true reality.

And reality is the only dream.

[/fakedeep]

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    OK, but where's the accompanying art from your DeviantArt profile?

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

You guys sure do live some utopian fairy tale lives in here.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

You guys sure do live some utopian fairy tale lives in here.

"sun". The sun is basically pointless this time of year around here.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

Last night for some reason I had a dream that Nintendo unveiled a new line of games that were all short, offbeat, budget titles featuring one character from Smash. Sort of along the lines of Captain Toad. Faster development time, weird little experiences sold for $20.

<snip>
    The black cover is very important. All the games had a pitch black cover with the character in the middle. It was sort of like a modern take on the old NES black box series.

<snip>
    I am not saying Nintendo should do this. I don't even know if I would like them to do this. All I am saying is that it was very real in my dream so it's essentially guaranteed to happen.

I know what dreams are like, you may not be able to answer this, but for some reason it's important for me to ask.

Were the games all titled 'Uh oh it's XXXX'? Or were there variations like 'Surprise, Captain Falcon!'?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Oh, definitely the latter.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Also, the big eShop sale has hit, so I just bought Unraveled Two for $10AUD. My wife has sort of lost interest in the other multi-person platformers we've tried (Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World) but this looks like you can work together more directly so hopefully she enjoys it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    That's some deep cuts there to delay putting DKC on the service.

Those games seem to be some kind of rights nightmare. They've been available and pulled multiple times from virtual console, presumably because Microsoft owns Rare.

Granted Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be on decent terms at the moment but I doubt Nintendo are eager to pay royalties on games that are a bonus to online subscribers (barely any are 3rd party), and Microsoft doesn't have any benefit from promoting the competitions online service.

It's probably more clear cut when they can tie it to a straight purchase. Everyone gets paid in that scenario.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    They'll put DKC on there a month or two before they release a new DKC game.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

And Owen Wilson?

Wow!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Apparently Snack World released on the Switch today. This series was supposedly another one of Level-5's late-2010s multi-media franchise initiatives(including a 3DS game), which I guess did well overall but they never really capitalized on it beyond the initial investment. For some reason they decided to localize the Switch port and just give it zero marketing.

Gameplay is basically babby's first Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, but the art style is typically-unique Level-5 and the dialogue is loaded with terrible puns, flat out ignoring the 4th wall, and occasionally horny. So far the word is that it's okay but certainly not worth the bonkers $50 MSRP, $15-20 would have been a good price for it. Something that might be worth keeping an eye on during sales.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    That's some deep cuts there to delay putting DKC on the service.

Those games seem to be some kind of rights nightmare. They've been available and pulled multiple times from virtual console, presumably because Microsoft owns Rare.

Granted Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be on decent terms at the moment but I doubt Nintendo are eager to pay royalties on games that are a bonus to online subscribers (barely any are 3rd party), and Microsoft doesn't have any benefit from promoting the competitions online service.

It's probably more clear cut when they can tie it to a straight purchase. Everyone gets paid in that scenario.

Nah, Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong Country games outright. Rare has absolutely no stake in them.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Apparently Snack World released on the Switch today. This series was supposedly another one of Level-5's late-2010s multi-media franchise initiatives(including a 3DS game), which I guess did well overall but they never really capitalized on it beyond the initial investment. For some reason they decided to localize the Switch port and just give it zero marketing.

Gameplay is basically babby's first Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, but the art style is typically-unique Level-5 and the dialogue is loaded with terrible puns, flat out ignoring the 4th wall, and occasionally horny. So far the word is that it's okay but certainly not worth the bonkers $50 MSRP, $15-20 would have been a good price for it. Something that might be worth keeping an eye on during sales.

Ugh I kind of hate the graphics. Which is a shame since I would love a BG:DA clone.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I picked up Yooka-Laylee and the Spyro Trilogy on the current eShop sale and my almost 5 year old is in heaven.

Her and her older brother (7) have also been waking us up on Saturday mornings because I introduced them to Towerfall and they can't stop shrieking and laughing.

The Switch, it's a good console.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

iHPPaKr.png

uf9W1hj.png

Tie that into Smash itself somehow, something cosmetic like 'unlock the costume in the spinoff game for use in Smash upon completion' and you'd make a killing.

Ugh I feel vaguely dirty for having typed that

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    That looks like Gwen Stefani and the guy from Bush. lol.

That's exactly who it is, pre nanny related divorce.

Why do I know that? I wasn't interested in their bands, much less their personal lives.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Goose Game gets 2019 GOTY from DICE, the developer-voted awards.

I’d advise against reading the Twitter thread itself because, uh, gamers mad.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    gamers should HONK

There are legitimate reasons for arguing that it might not be the best candidate for game of the year.

If it's as voted on by thousands of devs from across the industry, there's not really any arguing with that, if it's not an elite secret society of old people with agendas like the Oscars or something.

But I think it's ok to disagree with that consensus.

As a game it's pretty short and not mechanically revolutionary. I don't foresee a genre explosion of honklikes.

On the basis of an unlikely success story, a feel-good story of indie creativity and perseverance, as well as a case study on what sort of experiences bring people together worldwide in meme harmony, it's laudable in that sense. How to capture mindshare, even as a tiny studio of friends.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I didn't think Untitled Goose Game was all that amazing - amusing for a few hours at the most. But good for the House House guys.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What's the opposite of a goose?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

A nice person.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't foresee a genre explosion of honklikes.

Pity.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

A Canadian?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Goose Game gets 2019 GOTY from DICE, the developer-voted awards.

I’d advise against reading the Twitter thread itself because, uh, gamers are a gibbering pack of morons.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If Nintendo's not gonna give me cool dock options that I'm interested in I'm just gonna do that shit myself.

APTopgb.jpg

Edit: I call this "The Third Pillar".

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Looks a little short for a Stormtrooper.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Uh wow, I don't remember seeing this particular case before:

https://www.portableuniversalpower.com/nintendo-switch-case/

JOFdK95.png

3VXI8Vd.png

Of course so many cases pass through here that I might just be forgetting, in which case enjoy looking at this case again?!

Price is really not that bad IMO.

I wood think you'd be unlikely to forget something like that, but you make a good case for it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So somebody mentioned Snack World being out now. I remember being interested in it when it was announced so I decided to go look at a review of it and well...

large.jpg

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    People who've played Luigi's Mansion 3

Is my game softlocked?

I'm chasing this stupid fucking cat and I've gotten to the 7th floor bathroom, but I already cleared this place out and fixed the tub and I can't turn the water on anymore. There are thick vines around the faucets and there's nothing to interact with in the room anymore.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    People who've played Luigi's Mansion 3

Is my game softlocked?

I'm chasing this stupid fucking cat and I've gotten to the 7th floor bathroom, but I already cleared this place out and fixed the tub and I can't turn the water on anymore. There are thick vines around the faucets and there's nothing to interact with in the room anymore.

I don't remember any vines on the faucets in the tub. try reloading? you dark lighted the pipe in the room under the tub? blowing on the faucet is what turned it on for me. you might have to flashlight the cat if the tub filled up I think.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List