As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congressional Investigations Into Trump White House

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Anyway, don't worry guys, Barr is still up to shit

Owner of TPM

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Hopefully the judge won't accept Flynn's plea reversal and that won't matter.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Anyway, don't worry guys, Barr is still up to shit

Owner of TPM

The criminal case where he admitted to being guilty of committing crimes?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's cool Trump said he wasn't directly interfering in justice, he could, but he's not, but he could, but he's not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I would not be shocked in any way whatsoever to learn that career investigators/prosecutors at DOJ are slightly pissed right now, and decided it would be a REAL SHAME if Barr was forced to publicly deal with another politically-charged hot potato RIGHT NOW, while he's already in the spotlight. If he's in the bag for Trump, he's going to have to come out and be so openly and obviously to do anything about this, or let McCabe go without retribution to maintain even the smallest semblance of a fig leaf of independence.

Either way, it's the best they can do to protect McCabe, so I applaud it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Narcissist's rules: he can do whatever he wants, and is never wrong.

Unfortunately, the party has gone all-in on enabling him.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    I would not be shocked in any way whatsoever to learn that career investigators/prosecutors at DOJ are slightly pissed right now, and decided it would be a REAL SHAME if Barr was forced to publicly deal with another politically-charged hot potato RIGHT NOW, while he's already in the spotlight. If he's in the bag for Trump, he's going to have to come out and be so openly and obviously to do anything about this, or let McCabe go without retribution to maintain even the smallest semblance of a fig leaf of independence.

I believe that the majority of prosecutors in this country are self-serving scum. Maybe pettiness would entice them to act in the interest of public good, but most of them will keep to the shadows like rats.

If someone wants to poke holes through my barrel of cynicism, I'm all ears.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »

I believe that the majority of prosecutors in this country are self-serving scum. Maybe pettiness would entice them to act in the interest of public good, but most of them will keep to the shadows like rats.

Literally the story that started this tangent? Like, the entire news story about Barr's interference in the prosecution on Trump's behalf and the prosecutor's reaction to that is the opposite of what you are claiming here.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It’s worth remembering by the way that McCabe was accused of leaking damaging information to the press about the investigation into Hillary Clinton, not of leaking anything about Trump. The only reason Trump became obsessed with him was because is wife is a Democrat who ran for office in Virginia.

And I'm pretty sure this entire investigation against him is to blunt his lawsuit for wrongful termination or whatever specific thing it would fall under.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

the fuck

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    shryke wrote: »

Literally the story that started this tangent? Like, the entire news story about Barr's interference in the prosecution on Trump's behalf and the prosecutor's reaction to that is the opposite of what you are claiming here.

Yes, the resignations. I think most of them will land in lucrative positions in the private sector and they knew that when they resigned.

Now I can't claim that they wouldn't have done the same if that wasn't the case. And I'm glad they did what they did. But there is no true belief of sacrifice on their part, as things stand.

Hoz on
  • Options

the fuck

"Change My Mind"

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

the fuck

"Change My Mind"

It’s also asking them to prove a negative.
    “prove to me that the majority of prosecutors in this country aren’t self-serving scum“.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Yes, the resignations. I think most of them will land in lucrative positions in the private sector and they knew that when they resigned.

Now I can't claim that they wouldn't have done the same if that wasn't the case. And I'm glad they did what they did. But there is no or a true belief of sacrifice on their part, as things stand.

You don't need to live in a hair shirt to have morals.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular

Now I can't claim that they wouldn't have done the same if that wasn't the case. And I'm glad they did what they did. But there is no or a true belief of sacrifice on their part, as things stand.
    That is an argument against the very claim you made. They obviously chose a career in public service rather than that "lucrative private sector" position in the first place.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

So your assessment is that the lawyers who choose a career path that subjects them to greater oversight and ethical constraints than virtually any other position involving the practice of law, for far less money, are self-serving scum.

I get that people have different views on government and law enforcement here, for many personal reasons, and I try to respect those differences even though some of the extreme views make me kind of sad. Your position is... confusingly extreme.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The DoJ is obviously not perfect, but the rank and file careerists generally want to do good and believe in the rule of law.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ag-barr-complained-president-trump-weeks-tweets-public/story?id=68988960
    AG Barr complained to President Trump 'for weeks' about tweets before rebuking him, source says
    The source is just Barr making a funny voice.

• Options
    Media buying this shit hook, line, and sinker

Good job people, way to learn your lessons

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

This is kind of accelerationist thinking, though. If we try to force the administration to be more brazen about something, it just gets normalized, like every other goddamn thing they've done. And once it gets normalized, Trump just moves the bar even lower.

The impeachment showed us there is nothing Trump can do that will not be supported by at least 52 GOP senators, and there is nothing he can do that won't be championed by the base. We should still investigate this shit, point it out, message on it, but trying to push Trump and his fuckos to dig deeper just means he'll commit additional atrocities until we can get him out.

The only way out of this shit is to remove him. And the only way to remove him is to vote him out.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Like seriously, go look at any random conservative commentator if you want to see how effective Trump being a fucking dictator is at turning them against him. Half of them are talking about how amazing he is, and the other (much smaller) (shut up, I'm bad at fractions) half is saying how he's such an embarrassment, woe be to the republic, but they're going to vote for him anyway because fucking dems mirite.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

It's infuriating how often these charlie browns line up for Lucy. Shit she doesn't even have the football.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It's infuriating how often these charlie browns line up for Lucy. Shit she doesn't even have the football.

And explicitly tells you she doesn't have the football. But demands that Charlie run at the spot she points to, and attempt to kick it, regardless.

And they line up to do it anyways, over and over again.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    ElJeffe wrote: »

This is kind of accelerationist thinking, though. If we try to force the administration to be more brazen about something, it just gets normalized, like every other goddamn thing they've done. And once it gets normalized, Trump just moves the bar even lower.

The impeachment showed us there is nothing Trump can do that will not be supported by at least 52 GOP senators, and there is nothing he can do that won't be championed by the base. We should still investigate this shit, point it out, message on it, but trying to push Trump and his fuckos to dig deeper just means he'll commit additional atrocities until we can get him out.

The only way out of this shit is to remove him. And the only way to remove him is to vote him out.

And pray he either leaves the WH willingly, or the authorities drag his ass out when he refuses

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I agree that we shouldn't push Trump and the GOP. The perceived benefit is that "things don't get worse" but that just feeds the narrative that there are still lines they won't cross and norms they will uphold. The past four years have been a constant demonstration that our democracy is broken and I'm not comfortable with trying to keep things calm so that we can somehow stuff the genie back in the bottle at a later date.

It's no longer accelerationism in my mind. It's simply unmasking the monsters in our midst

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    It's one thing to unmask the monsters, another thing entirely to hold them accountable. Otherwise the only lesson to learn is that they don't need the masks.

Not a single one of them deserves a peaceful moment until they give up this charade.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree that we shouldn't push Trump and the GOP. The perceived benefit is that "things don't get worse" but that just feeds the narrative that there are still lines they won't cross and norms they will uphold. The past four years have been a constant demonstration that our democracy is broken and I'm not comfortable with trying to keep things calm so that we can somehow stuff the genie back in the bottle at a later date.

It's no longer accelerationism in my mind. It's simply unmasking the monsters in our midst

I think it's more like trying to put a fire out with your big jug of water, then you realize it was actually gasoline, and now all you can really do is wait for the fire department. "But," you're suggesting, "we can't just do NOTHING, and maybe the gasoline will help THIS time..."

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

I think it's more like trying to put a fire out with your big jug of water, then you realize it was actually gasoline, and now all you can really do is wait for the fire department. "But," you're suggesting, "we can't just do NOTHING, and maybe the gasoline will help THIS time..."

But add to this the hope that everyone standing around will at some point start throwing sand on the flames. Just a bit more gas and they'll finally realize that fire is bad..

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Trump clearly likes the idea of being a king

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So Trump's confirming that he's launching a campaign of grievance, persecution and resentment?
    I mean, I'm not surprised he's doing it, just him confirming it so easily.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm still waiting for the National Security Council to show us what "not tolerating" retaliation on Col Vindman looks like. What an embarrassment.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So Trump's confirming that he's launching a campaign of grievance, persecution and resentment?

I mean, that was always his pitch?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

But add to this the hope that everyone standing around will at some point start throwing sand on the flames. Just a bit more gas and they'll finally realize that fire is bad..

The major assumptions here that I have a hard time supporting are
    There is a fire department
    It is coming to save 'us'
    It is capable of saving 'us'

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    klemming wrote: »

You're surprised that trump would campaign on naked pettiness? After the past 4 years?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »

The major assumptions here that I have a hard time supporting are
    There is a fire department
    It is coming to save 'us'
    It is capable of saving 'us'

The fire department is the election.
    The thing that will save us is voting him out.

Admittedly, a third of our fire department are arsonists themselves, and another third don't really care about all this boring fire fighting stuff.

• Options
    And there is the worrying possibility that we'll get there and find out that someone has slashed all our hoses. :(

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The best part of voting is getting to slide down the pole.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The best part of voting is getting to slide down the pole.

"Hey! Does this still work?"

• Options
    awww, your polling place has an actual pole?

one drawback of voting by mail. :(