As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Urtuk: The Deolation Out today.

Looks like an art style similar to Darkest Dungeon with grid based combat.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    NPCs fighting each other happened to me in Skyrim when I killed a dragon in Riften and was looting it. I ran out of space so I dropped some heavy Dwemer stuff to make room. The beggar picks it up and the priestess just goes absolutely berserk about taking it from him.

She had fire magic. He had fists. She took that nearly worthless Dwemer cog off his charred corpse.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a Goose Game expansion

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Last week's episode of 99% Invisible was a surprisingly deep dive into trying to find the origins of that song. It's a really interesting episode, but it completely ruined my brain for the rest of the day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I've been playing Wolcen and so far it's been pretty disappointing.
    • The skill system, despite letting you customize your skills to a pretty wild extent as you level them up, still doesn't even seem to come close to a single skill mod in Diablo 3. Like, the weirdest shit you can wind up crafting is like, "Your fireballs are lightning and shoot two piercing shots instead of exploding", and that's super deep into having skill customization points.
    • The controls feel pretty clunky; enemies and items have bad hitboxes to click on, basic magic attacks are click-to-fire instead of aimed and you need them to restore mana in a reasonable timeframe, dodge rolls are very limited and don't cancel stuff well, and most of your spells and your basic attacks have a large windup. There have been plenty of situations where my play pattern when out of mana is something like "roll away, turn around to attempt to hit the enemy, fail to hit their bad hitbox, instead run at the enemy, start swinging, tank an attack because I can't cancel it with a roll", and that's just the price of even trying to cast magic.
    • This is exacerbated by the fact that holy shit is the game laggy. This is probably their servers getting hammered on launch, but the fact that it's not a Diablo-Like instance where only key things are checked and instead appears to keep track of everything server side means that potions fail to drink in a reasonable timeframe, attacks hit you when you dodge, the enemy attack hitboxes (which are already bad) rarely match up to what's going on, and it literally takes like three seconds per item to sell things to shops.
    • On the other hand, the game is generally a cakewalk; almost no enemies are difficult, the occasional elite enemies need to roll two damaging abilities to threaten even glass cannons.
    • The exception are the bosses. Holy shit are the bosses all terrible. There's the knockoff butcher demon with hookshots, except that getting hooked and his telegraphed slams and roars aren't that threatening. What is threatening is an attack where he slams and sends out a (weak) linear shockwave, followed up by a circular shockwave from nowhere that near instantly kills you if you get hit, necessitating you always use a dodge roll on it. Then there's the actual demon you're chasing after, who is mostly fine with some cool beam attacks and projectiles, but whose basic melee attack does 5x the damage of all his other skills for some reason. So if you get hit by the giant beam of death, you have a second to roll out of it, but if you try to hit him with a close range spell and he swings in the correct direction (he usually doesn't) he just instakills you.
    • Then there's Edric, the final boss of Act 1. He's three stages long, almost all of his attacks one shot you, except for the ones that look like they should, which do nothing. My favorite of these is his giant telegraphed charge in Act 2, which does basically no damage, but is followed up by projectiles which don't hit you if you got hit by the charge, but do hit and instagib you if you aren't directly behind him. He's constantly attacking and very beefy, making the mana regen woes mentioned before worse, and in his final stage he literally just follows up a massive leap with fast, OHKO projectiles spewing from him in a random orientation with a charging slash that hits 50% of the arena, with no break and faster than your dodges respawn. Combine this with the lag and the fact that there are just random summons that only exist to facetank your spells, and he's an absolute nightmare.

There's definitely a glimmer of a good game in there somewhere, but like 99% of my thought was just "I think I'd rather be playing Diablo 3 using a laptop pad as a mouse, it'd control better."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Last week's episode of 99% Invisible was a surprisingly deep dive into trying to find the origins of that song. It's a really interesting episode, but it completely ruined my brain for the rest of the day.

The name of that episode is very good. "Whomst Among Us Let the Dogs Out?"

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    It seems like "every NPC has their own schedule and desires and complicated social life" has been some weird goal for a long long time, I recall Bethesda banging on about it for Oblivion and Skyrim and man I just do not care that Skittles the Scullery Cat eats a pickled pepper in the basement of the tavern at midnight every night

the thing I like about this is the kind of storytelling and quests it makes possible

like in Ultima V there's a village somewhere where the villagers go way out into the fields at night to have a secret cult meeting and oftentimes the way you discover this is that you're trying to get a room at the inn and notice some townsfolk heading way off toward the edge of the map and maybe you get curious and follow them.

that's so much more elegant, to me, than encountering someone who just tells you that there are cult meetings at midnight, or not having the cult meeting trigger until you reach that point in the quest, or whatever. I like being able to uncover secrets by shadowing people, I like how much more...necessary game conventions like inns feel when towns just shut down at night instead of every merchant being perpetually available (or the games where if you're not in town by sundown, you're locked out of the gate and have to survive the night on your own outside the walls! That's a cool situation that feels like something from a story!).

I'm not saying this is the only or the right way to do RPGs but I think the weird kind of halfass hybrid that a lot of games use is unnecessarily disconcerting. Like in the Witcher games where some characters have a schedule but other shopkeeps just stay on their feet nailed to the same spot 24/7. At that point, if you're going to do that, why even have a day/night cycle? Just do everything cinematically the way a Final Fantasy game does and decide what time of day it is based on the needs of the story or what looks prettiest in the cutscene.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Schedules for NPCs is nice, but I generally prefer it when they have a schedule that's not totally rigid. Because when it's the same thing they do every day it becomes less of a schedule and more like the entire world is stuck in the Groundhog Day movie except you.

Madican on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm 80 hours into Witcher 3 now. With all the sidequests I have left and then both the DLCs I would guess I could get another 80 more out of it. And the whole time I'm playing I keep thinking "I can't wait to replay this."

No joke some of the best stuff in the game is still to come.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

The name of that episode is very good. "Whomst Among Us Let the Dogs Out?"

god bless Roman Mars

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options

Was there someone before Anslem Douglas who performed it? I thought it was his originally and then the Baha boys covered it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    milski wrote: »
    • The skill system, despite letting you customize your skills to a pretty wild extent as you level them up, still doesn't even seem to come close to a single skill mod in Diablo 3. Like, the weirdest shit you can wind up crafting is like, "Your fireballs are lightning and shoot two piercing shots instead of exploding", and that's super deep into having skill customization points.
    • The controls feel pretty clunky; enemies and items have bad hitboxes to click on, basic magic attacks are click-to-fire instead of aimed and you need them to restore mana in a reasonable timeframe, dodge rolls are very limited and don't cancel stuff well, and most of your spells and your basic attacks have a large windup. There have been plenty of situations where my play pattern when out of mana is something like "roll away, turn around to attempt to hit the enemy, fail to hit their bad hitbox, instead run at the enemy, start swinging, tank an attack because I can't cancel it with a roll", and that's just the price of even trying to cast magic.
    • This is exacerbated by the fact that holy shit is the game laggy. This is probably their servers getting hammered on launch, but the fact that it's not a Diablo-Like instance where only key things are checked and instead appears to keep track of everything server side means that potions fail to drink in a reasonable timeframe, attacks hit you when you dodge, the enemy attack hitboxes (which are already bad) rarely match up to what's going on, and it literally takes like three seconds per item to sell things to shops.
    • On the other hand, the game is generally a cakewalk; almost no enemies are difficult, the occasional elite enemies need to roll two damaging abilities to threaten even glass cannons.
    • The exception are the bosses. Holy shit are the bosses all terrible. There's the knockoff butcher demon with hookshots, except that getting hooked and his telegraphed slams and roars aren't that threatening. What is threatening is an attack where he slams and sends out a (weak) linear shockwave, followed up by a circular shockwave from nowhere that near instantly kills you if you get hit, necessitating you always use a dodge roll on it. Then there's the actual demon you're chasing after, who is mostly fine with some cool beam attacks and projectiles, but whose basic melee attack does 5x the damage of all his other skills for some reason. So if you get hit by the giant beam of death, you have a second to roll out of it, but if you try to hit him with a close range spell and he swings in the correct direction (he usually doesn't) he just instakills you.
    • Then there's Edric, the final boss of Act 1. He's three stages long, almost all of his attacks one shot you, except for the ones that look like they should, which do nothing. My favorite of these is his giant telegraphed charge in Act 2, which does basically no damage, but is followed up by projectiles which don't hit you if you got hit by the charge, but do hit and instagib you if you aren't directly behind him. He's constantly attacking and very beefy, making the mana regen woes mentioned before worse, and in his final stage he literally just follows up a massive leap with fast, OHKO projectiles spewing from him in a random orientation with a charging slash that hits 50% of the arena, with no break and faster than your dodges respawn. Combine this with the lag and the fact that there are just random summons that only exist to facetank your spells, and he's an absolute nightmare.

There's definitely a glimmer of a good game in there somewhere, but like 99% of my thought was just "I think I'd rather be playing Diablo 3 using a laptop pad as a mouse, it'd control better."
    Sounds rad! I'm very excited about the $30 I rushed to spend earlier this week, instead of waiting for server stability, more thorough reviews, and a sale! I am ever so smart!

Delduwath on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Witcher 3 folks: Is there a method to knowing which messages on the town boards are quests and which are just flavor text? The fact that new stuff shows up if you take messages down is making me paranoid that I'm missing things.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Witcher 3 folks: Is there a method to knowing which messages on the town boards are quests and which are just flavor text? The fact that new stuff shows up if you take messages down is making me paranoid that I'm missing things.

If your message board icon is yellow with an exclamation mark on the map there are unclaimed quests

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

If your message board icon is yellow with an exclamation mark on the map there are unclaimed quests

It's been a while, but I think the quest notices were also larger than the flavor text notices. And I want to say you didn't actually have to take anything, just opening the board was enough to populate the "?" markers on the map for all the notices on it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You have to remove the notices for the icon to change from yellow to white. Not sure if just looking at them is enough to populate your quest journal.

Just take them all if in doubt, there's no harm in it.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a Skyrim multiplayer co op mod

I may have to try that with a buddy

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Sounds rad! I'm very excited about the $30 I rushed to spend earlier this week, instead of waiting for server stability, more thorough reviews, and a sale! I am ever so smart!

I wouldn't be too hard on it, it's getting positive press out in the world and also in the G&T thread.

I'll be playing it tonight myself.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Was there someone before Anslem Douglas who performed it? I thought it was his originally and then the Baha boys covered it.

That's what Anslem Douglas thought!

But eerily similar hooks show up in songs from 1994 and 1992, and there is strong evidence that it started out as a small-town Michigan high school football chant in 1986. It's basically a supernatural entity that drops into the minds of unrelated musicians every couple of years without their knowledge or consent.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Schedules for NPCs is nice, but I generally prefer it when they have a schedule that's not totally rigid. Because when it's the same thing they do every day it becomes less of a schedule and more like the entire world is stuck in the Groundhog Day movie except you.

"Everyone else is stuck in the same day and only I can change" is precisely Groundhog Day

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

It kept crashing on me and really come on get some controller support

• Options
    yeah I think I'm gonna refund it and put the money towards either Doom or Mount and Blade 2 early access

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

"Everyone else is stuck in the same day and only I can change" is precisely Groundhog Day

I know there has been a fair share of time loop games, but has there ever been a time loop RPG?

Like, I'm specifically thinking of all of the time Bill Murray spends perfecting new skills as a model. Everything would respawn (including you) at midnight, but you would retain any level ups or whatever.

I guess I'm sort of just describing like, MMO raids, but I'm thinking of something with more interesting quests and stuff. Specifically I'm thinking about the final day, where you know how to end the time loop, but you have to essentially speed run all of the side quests that you want to see successfully completed first.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I know there has been a fair share of time loop games, but has there ever been a time loop RPG?

Like, I'm specifically thinking of all of the time Bill Murray spends perfecting new skills as a model. Everything would respawn (including you) at midnight, but you would retain any level ups or whatever.

I guess I'm sort of just describing like, MMO raids, but I'm thinking of something with more interesting quests and stuff. Specifically I'm thinking about the final day, where you know how to end the time loop, but you have to essentially speed run all of the side quests that you want to see successfully completed first.

You don’t have level ups, but this is basically Majora’s Mask.

• Options

Ssssort of. The protagonist in Groundhog Day also rewinded, he just remembered it. The PC doesn't rewind, they don't repeat, so they see these people doing the same things over and over again.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've got an idea for a point and click game where you play it, investigating a vreak in or something and then later go back in time and need to leave the level as you found it earlier. The trick being that the more you fiddle with the level earlier the more you need to set right earlier. Eg. If you looked in a box and saw a thing, then you would need to put that thing in the box when you go back in time. And given how most people play p&c games, investigating literally every interactive item, it'd be a tricky puzzle of their own making.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Talking about Wolcen reminds me about how extremely I get into Action RPGs when I like them, and then bounce off them instantaneously if I have even a little bit of a problem with them. Like a mediocre FPS is still a bit fun to burn through, but even a just competent ARPG makes me bail instantly.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Majora's Mask is brilliant

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

More like AnnaPurina

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I wouldn't be too hard on it, it's getting positive press out in the world and also in the G&T thread.

I know it's getting tons of positive press, including from folks on these forums, but milski's post lists some things that I know would frustrate me (and also seem like flaws that at least some previewers ought to have pointed out?). I'm actually curious to see how other forumers who've played the game feel about it, so maybe I should duck into the Wolcen thread.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    The two oblivion videos that make me laugh every time are

https://youtu.be/N6hVmn9FM7o

https://youtu.be/AK26bXWrOvo

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I need someone to make a VR version of Obra Dinn. I think that would be cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I'm digging Wolcen so far, just a game I can mindlessly hack and loot.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

Notices on the boards come in one of two sizes, a smaller and a bigger. The smaller one is about half the length of the bigger and will always just be flavor text. Anything that is the larger size is an actual quest. From what I remember notice boards will have everything they offer when you first get to it. After you grab all the big notices the only new ones on it will be a bunch of small flavor text ones that just fill out the empty spots on the board.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Isn't Outer Wilds like that? (I haven't played it so might be way off)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I know it's getting tons of positive press, including from folks on these forums, but milski's post lists some things that I know would frustrate me (and also seem like flaws that at least some previewers ought to have pointed out?). I'm actually curious to see how other forumers who've played the game feel about it, so maybe I should duck into the Wolcen thread.

At the risk of sounding dickish, I dont agree with a single thing he listed.

I'm playing it offline so I cant comment on the servers... but the bosses are not hard if you invest even the slightest bit into defense. It's an ARPG somewhere inbetween Grim Dawn and Path of Exile. If you're going into it expecting a breezy time like Diablo 3, you probably wont end up enjoying it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    This game has improved vastly since launch with strong dev support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhj5phhsqC0

This discussion has been closed.