As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wolcen] Out of EA Today (2/13)! Servers online, but shakey.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Wasn't it called Umbra at some point in time?

Umbra, by Solarfall studios. Solarfall is now a skill in the game.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dang I like two handed weapons a lot.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Managed to get in for an hour last night after a client patch, it seems pretty legit. At the risk of sounding cliche I got some Dark Souls vibes from the melee combat - more zoomed in with way more deliberate animations, but good impact and much beefier animations than say PoE. I like the dodge rolls and the built in dash attack. I'm sure it gets way zippier in the endgame, but overall it seems to compete with D3 in combat feel which is rare.

Having played D3 recently, I feel like its controls are really really overrated these days. The only thing that really stands out is the melee weapon combat, but even that has kind of aged a lot. PoE made up some ground with animation canceling on melee, but I still feel its magic and (especially) ranged combat is leagues ahead of D3.

I'm curious to see how this games melee combat fares.

I'm not talking about controls but rather the gameplay feel, D3 is the reigning champion of pure lizard brain satisfaction on the feedback in animation/graphics/sound.

Eh

I think having a 60 unit army of the undead just melt everything on screen into a pile of gibs or shattering half a map with vortex/frostbolt is 100% up there.

D3 hasn't had the care or effort put into it that GD or PoE have over the years, and it's really showing these days.

I agree with Zek here. So for this game seems good, I like it...but it does not play as smoothly as D3. PoE certainly didn't, at range or melee. You can dislike the RPG systems of D3 and how they are comparatively shallow, but the moment to moment game play in D3 is top notch. Animations are smooth and flow together well. They are properly blended, and cancel well. The enemy animations are clean and the rag doll physics and high quality gibs add a visceral element to the play.

With Wolcen specifically their "hold button" controls so far for melee have been terrible. If my mouse is not directly over an enemy my dude just stands there, rather than auto-attack walking like it does in D3. That minor control tweak alone would make a huge difference for me. My wrists can't handle super high click rates anymore, I need hold-click to work well for me to enjoy these games.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Managed to get in for an hour last night after a client patch, it seems pretty legit. At the risk of sounding cliche I got some Dark Souls vibes from the melee combat - more zoomed in with way more deliberate animations, but good impact and much beefier animations than say PoE. I like the dodge rolls and the built in dash attack. I'm sure it gets way zippier in the endgame, but overall it seems to compete with D3 in combat feel which is rare.

Having played D3 recently, I feel like its controls are really really overrated these days. The only thing that really stands out is the melee weapon combat, but even that has kind of aged a lot. PoE made up some ground with animation canceling on melee, but I still feel its magic and (especially) ranged combat is leagues ahead of D3.

I'm not talking about controls but rather the gameplay feel, D3 is the reigning champion of pure lizard brain satisfaction on the feedback in animation/graphics/sound.

Eh

I think having a 60 unit army of the undead just melt everything on screen into a pile of gibs or shattering half a map with vortex/frostbolt is 100% up there.

D3 hasn't had the care or effort put into it that GD or PoE have over the years, and it's really showing these days.

I agree with Zek here. So for this game seems good, I like it...but it does not play as smoothly as D3. PoE certainly didn't, at range or melee. You can dislike the RPG systems of D3 and how they are comparatively shallow, but the moment to moment game play in D3 is top notch. Animations are smooth and flow together well. They are properly blended, and cancel well. The enemy animations are clean and the rag doll physics and high quality gibs add a visceral element to the play.

With Wolcen specifically their "hold button" controls so far for melee have been terrible. If my mouse is not directly over an enemy my dude just stands there, rather than auto-attack walking like it does in D3. That minor control tweak alone would make a huge difference for me. My wrists can't handle super high click rates anymore, I need hold-click to work well for me to enjoy these games.

I think you mean when using special abilities? The primary attack does move you to your target, and it also has a built in dash, so you could just use that when you have ground to cover. When you're in close you should hold shift to attack since even the primary attack is AoE. I don't know why melee special attacks don't move you into range.

In D3 I bound space bar to force move which is super useful. I was going to check if this game had that, but... When I opened the menu the Settings button didn't work. Will check tonight.

edited February 2020
    No I mean regular attack. In D3 and some other ARPG's if you hold the left mouse button, it becomes effectively continuous attack move. In Wolcen if I do that, and my mouse slips off a target, or the targets move, my guy just stands there like an idiot. Yes in close you can hold shift to always attack, even without a target, which is fine...but it's not quite the same as continuous attack move.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    No I mean regular attack. In D3 and some other ARPG's if you hold the left mouse button, it becomes effectively continuous attack move. In Wolcen if I do that, and my house slips off a target, or the targets move, my guy just stands there like an idiot. Yes in close you can hold shift to always attack, even without a target, which is fine...but it's not quite the same as continuous attack move.

Try enabling the "basic attack" option in settings, I think that's related to this behavior.

Zek - you can rebind the force move, it's defaulted to Ctrl. Can't bind to m1 yet but the devs did say they are going to add it from ziz's stream.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Dumb question..where's the jeweler? like..10 hours of playtime ago it told me about jewels and sent me off to a tavern where i killed some mans..then i skipped through all the dialog and uh..have never found the jeweler.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Aumni wrote: »
    No I mean regular attack. In D3 and some other ARPG's if you hold the left mouse button, it becomes effectively continuous attack move. In Wolcen if I do that, and my house slips off a target, or the targets move, my guy just stands there like an idiot. Yes in close you can hold shift to always attack, even without a target, which is fine...but it's not quite the same as continuous attack move.

Try enabling the "basic attack" option in settings, I think that's related to this behavior.

Zek - you can rebind the force move, it's defaulted to Ctrl. Can't bind to m1 yet but the devs did say they are going to add it from ziz's stream.

If this works it will up my enjoyment of this game considerably. Thanks for the tip.

Dumb question..where's the jeweler? like..10 hours of playtime ago it told me about jewels and sent me off to a tavern where i killed some mans..then i skipped through all the dialog and uh..have never found the jeweler.

One of the three merchants in the first town does gem/socket stuff if that's who you mean.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Eh

I mean, I can't disagree any more than is humanly possible when it comes to ranged combat.

D3 ranged feels hollow and weak (especially compared to how meaty melee in D3 is), PoE feels incredibly visceral and weighty. A good comparison is Fortnite vs Apex Legends, with D3 ranged feeling like a nerf gun. Again, with animation cancels and 2 types of movement skills (usually bind Dash to middle mouse), it flows nearly seamlessly these days. I've played 2k hours of D3 and PoE respectively, I'm not just conflating how shallow the build options in D3 are with the combat.

jungleroomx on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »

Wow this is great. I just tested against a side-boss and you can even move the mouse away to run, then resume attack, without ever releasing the button.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Eh

I mean, I can't disagree any more than is humanly possible when it comes to ranged combat.

D3 ranged feels hollow and weak (especially compared to how meaty melee in D3 is), PoE feels incredibly visceral and weighty. A good comparison is Fortnite vs Apex Legends, with D3 ranged feeling like a nerf gun. Again, with animation cancels and 2 types of movement skills (usually bind Dash to middle mouse), it flows nearly seamlessly these days. I've played 2k hours of D3 and PoE respectively, I'm not just conflating how shallow the build options in D3 are with the combat.

Sometimes when I read stuff like this it feels like some people play an alternate universe version of PoE. My PoE is spamming one button and all the enemies die off-screen. It just can't get much more boring than that. PoE had a lot of interesting systems but the combat was just so mind-numbingly awful I couldn't take it.

D3 combat was great but the builds were "wear this FOTM set and it gives you 100000000% damage increase for these skills" so it got old after a while. I did only start playing D3 around when the expansion launched so I never saw the shitshow of real-money AH and all the other crap from the base game's launch.

But yeah, Wolcen ... I have 8% chance to block and once I enabled a skill modifier for my hammers that just said "increases crit chance based on block chance" my crit chance for the hammers went to 100%. Hard to tell if that's supposed to work like that but I guess I'll always be crittin' from now on.

Mirkel on
    edited February 2020

Eh

I'll give you ranged combat only because I so rarely play ranged characters in D3. My most hours played are Monk and Crusader, so I'll admit to having a deficit of knowledge there. I played an attack speed ranger in PoE when I first picked it up and it was fun...certainly more fun than the melee at the time which I found depressingly bad (it's been improved a ton going by the last time I played it).

So we're not derailing tooooooo much here, I will say that so far the magic combat in Wolcen feels really good. Better than melee for me, though I am excited to try this "Basic Attack" option now to see if that clears that problem up for me.

GnomeTank on
    edited February 2020

Eh

I'll give you ranged combat only because I so rarely play ranged characters in D3. My most hours played are Monk and Crusader, so I'll admit to having a deficit of knowledge there. I played an attack speed ranger in PoE when I first picked it up and it was fun...certainly more fun than the melee at the time which I found depressingly bad (it's been improved a ton going by the last time I played it).

So we're not derailing tooooooo much here, I will say that so far the magic combat in Wolcen feels really good. Better than melee for me, though I am excited to try this "Basic Attack" option now to see if that clears that problem up for me.

The left click move attack is pretty janky, but on the bright side after the first few levels you never seem to use it anyway...and pretty much all the other melee skills are AoE so it's not that big of a deal...I'm mostly holding right click and either spin to winning w/ bladestorm or murder big guys with wrath of baphet.

Related to melee, i found this weapon at lvl 16, and i'm still using it at 30 and nothing close to as good as it has dropped..lol?..sigh, i want a new weapon :(
    9wxl6qa5ewtd.jpg

taliosfalcon on
    Related to melee, i found this weapon at lvl 16, and i'm still using it at 30 and nothing close to as good as it has dropped..lol?..sigh, i want a new weapon :(
    9wxl6qa5ewtd.jpg

Ok, I'm lvl 30 melee and I've never seen anything that good drop. I've never seen any uniques, actually. Stuff still dies so I guess it doesn't matter much but I'm a bit jealous.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    My offline lady archer is very fun to play, and I like that in most cases you can hit an enemy as soon as you see it on the edge of the screen. Very satisfying to fire regular shots that far, and doubly so to get to launch a hail or arrows or a cannon grenade that distance.

My build is incredibly boring though. I've followed green dots to increase damage and crits, now my shots pierce and soon they will ricochet. I feel vaguely inadequate that I am not mixing and matching and spellslinging more. I'm sure I'll (probably) get around to it in a future character or build. But until then... arrows, arrows, arrows!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mirkel wrote: »

Eh

Sometimes when I read stuff like this it feels like some people play an alternate universe version of PoE. My PoE is spamming one button and all the enemies die off-screen. It just can't get much more boring than that. PoE had a lot of interesting systems but the combat was just so mind-numbingly awful I couldn't take it.

D3 combat was great but the builds were "wear this FOTM set and it gives you 100000000% damage increase for these skills" so it got old after a while. I did only start playing D3 around when the expansion launched so I never saw the shitshow of real-money AH and all the other crap from the base game's launch.

But yeah, Wolcen ... I have 8% chance to block and once I enabled a skill modifier for my hammers that just said "increases crit chance based on block chance" my crit chance for the hammers went to 100%. Hard to tell if that's supposed to work like that but I guess I'll always be crittin' from now on.

To the bolded: This doesn't really happen much anymore, I think the Tornado Shot nerf kind of killed the offscreening (the return shot no longer goes nearly as far). Most spells don't do this anymore (poor Essence Drain...). 99% of builds require a nice interplay of systems to really get the most out of things, which means there was enough demand for more skill slots that pressing CTRL now shifts your QWERT keys to alternate ones, giving you 10 slots in total.

BUT

I am looking forward to all of the reworks in PoE2, but I am burned out on PoE right now. I did another season of D3 and was kind of excited with all of the changes but that game just is too shallow for me. Grim Dawn was a lot of fun at first but I kind of bounced off of it during the farm portion. I was kind of sad I would be without a great ARPG until then, but I'm hoping Wolcen can give me something to sink my teeth into.

jungleroomx on
    edited February 2020

Eh

I think it's the projectile speed that really kills it for me in D3. You fire an arrow and it meanders its way to the other side. In PoE, that shit is near instant and makes a satisfying "THUNK."

I'm looking forward to trying out the magic users in this game. That's usually where I default to on new ARPG's.

jungleroomx on
    What does "Total Damage" on a weapon mean? Is that DPS or something similar, or per-hit? I don't see attack speed anywhere.

edited February 2020
    What does "Total Damage" on a weapon mean? Is that DPS or something similar, or per-hit? I don't see attack speed anywhere.

Just per hit i believe

taliosfalcon on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I'm with you! When I first started PoE 2+ years ago, there was noticeable clunkiness compared to D3. Notably, the movement skills were clearly less good and it was just harder to dodge stuff with them -- the delay was really annoying. But they just made it better over time. They redid the movement skills to make it muuuch smoother, and the melee overhaul added animation cancelling and QoL stuff to make that feel much better as well. There really aren't many "clear 5 screens that I can't see" skills left in PoE, and hell some of those felt really satisfying (peak ED/contagion was glooorious walking around and watching the DoT spread and snuff out all of the life in the area).

After playing a ton of PoE for a couple of years and 0 Diablo 3, I finally went back to D3 for the last league. Everything had pretty much inverted! D3 is fun and I enjoyed my time messing around with the new builds, but killing stuff just doesn't feel as good in D3 as it does in PoE now. The weight just isn't there -- killing lots of stuff now feels more glorious in PoE. You have more freedom of movement in PoE than in D3 now, and the combination of animations, graphics, and sound just make kills feel chunkier, meatier, and look more impactful than they do in D3. D3 also relies waaay too heavily on a fairly small pool of champion modifiers -- "what's on the menu today? more arcane beams!", and the difficulty being "infinitely scaling numbers" makes your progression feel less impactful and the kills less viscerally satisfying. It's hard to articulate that feeling with text, but killing the same monster as 10 hours ago but this time it has +20,000% health due to difficulty sliders makes the death explosions not hit the same way.

Either way, the combat in this looks super meaty and fun! I'm excited to see how it gets at the end game when everything is turned up to 11.

Fiatil on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    There seem to be some pretty cool synergies if i'm reading the skill web correctly. I'm currently going for the one that makes rage passively regenerate instead of willpower, and then also go for the one that makes a big explosion around you if your willpower is <30%. I want to see what that does.

Fiatil wrote: »

I'm with you! When I first started PoE 2+ years ago, there was noticeable clunkiness compared to D3. Notably, the movement skills were clearly less good and it was just harder to dodge stuff with them -- the delay was really annoying. But they just made it better over time. They redid the movement skills to make it muuuch smoother, and the melee overhaul added animation cancelling and QoL stuff to make that feel much better as well. There really aren't many "clear 5 screens that I can't see" skills left in PoE, and hell some of those felt really satisfying (peak ED/contagion was glooorious walking around and watching the DoT spread and snuff out all of the life in the area).

After playing a ton of PoE for a couple of years and 0 Diablo 3, I finally went back to D3 for the last league. Everything had pretty much inverted! D3 is fun and I enjoyed my time messing around with the new builds, but killing stuff just doesn't feel as good in D3 as it does in PoE now. The weight just isn't there -- killing lots of stuff now feels more glorious in PoE. You have more freedom of movement in PoE than in D3 now, and the combination of animations, graphics, and sound just make kills feel chunkier, meatier, and look more impactful than they do in D3. D3 also relies waaay too heavily on a fairly small pool of champion modifiers -- "what's on the menu today? more arcane beams!", and the difficulty being "infinitely scaling numbers" makes your progression feel less impactful and the kills less viscerally satisfying. It's hard to articulate that feeling with text, but killing the same monster as 10 hours ago but this time it has +20,000% health due to difficulty sliders makes the death explosions not hit the same way.

Either way, the combat in this looks super meaty and fun! I'm excited to see how it gets at the end game when everything is turned up to 11.

After a few years of not playing D3, I was kind of excited to get back into the game that I remembered as being killer when it came to movement and combat and... it really surprised me how not that it was. Yeah, melee was fine and good, but damn magic felt weak and the DH was just meh. But killing someone in PoE with something like Consecrated Path, Leap Slam, or unleashing a fully charged Blade Flurry/Divine Ire is a combat element that doesn't exist outside of PoE. Just incredibly satisfying.

So yeah, when I saw Wolcen I was hyped. I'm ready.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    That cover needs more grizzle.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Wolcen has one of my minor pet peeves. My character basically looks like an older version of Geralt, but the story makes him a 20-something orphan.

Artereis wrote: »
    Wolcen has one of my minor pet peeves. My character basically looks like an older version of Geralt, but the story makes him a 20-something orphan.

Orphans life is hard

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    First unique is a lvl 15 dagger that does 4x the damage of my staff. Might be trying daggers in a few levels... and/or need a new staff :razz:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    Does Wolcen have a shared stash like PoE/D3 or is it single character only like GD?

• Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    Uh, Grim Dawn has a shared stash dude.

Does Wolcen have a shared stash like PoE/D3 or is it single character only like GD?

Not sure when you've played GD last but it has a big shared stash (5-6 pages IIRC).

It's shared

edited February 2020
    Mirkel wrote: »

Not sure when you've played GD last but it has a big shared stash (5-6 pages IIRC).

Was that in an update/expo? Because the stash you got from the NPC didn't seem to transfer from one char to the other?

Edit: Looks like I needed to purchase them from the smuggler. Further edit: Son of a bitch

jungleroomx on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    nvm

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Just hit 18 running through I think towards the end of Act 1? My Ranger is pretty crazy, but I agree with @Iolo, I melt everything. All of my stuff is AOE for like 150ish damage on average, my normal shots pierce(will bounce soon?) and shoot wicked fast, and I think I've only been in danger of dying once. I'm also afraid that I have all the skills available for Bows which is like 11? Some of which are just not great, and by that I mean that the sniper railgun charged shot is just so overwhelmingly good I don't need to use anything else besides the wailing arrow for extra damage against broken big boys, or escape to back away from gankers.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Jubal77 on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'm irrationally bothered by the fact that my character portrait doesn't look like my character... and the dialog portrait doesn't even match the HUD portrait (top left).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm irrationally bothered by the fact that my character portrait doesn't look like my character... and the dialog portrait doesn't even match the HUD portrait (top left).

"I'm a short dark-blue haired lesbian god damnit, not some pony tail wearing heathen."

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So I wanted to make a battlemage, but is there no way to generate Willpower except on Staves?
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Kinda fun so far, but gawd the female character model is awful. /sigh

Her head is so tiny and the rest of her is almost Bayonetta tier but not quite so it all just sits in this weird unsettling valley.

TOGSolid.8340 if anyone wants to add me as a friend and jump in!

@ED! What's your tag in Wolcen? ANDSv2 doesn't show up as anything.

EDIT: Hrm, seems that online isn't up to snuff just yet. I keep trying to make a private game and it keeps failing.

Whoops. My username is actually ANDS! on Steam. In game it looks like its ands.5229.

The game doesnt exactly explain this, but to generate willpower, you can just use rage, and vice versa. It isnt instantaneous, and theres a stat to make the delay smaller. This allows for a ton of variety in builds because depending on your setup, every skill is both a generator and a spender.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I beelined for the Residual Energy node. It's the one that gives me bonus damage on attacks after casting a spell. There doesn't seem to be a visual indicator of how long I have of the buff before I have to cast a spell to re-apply it again. Anyone know? I would expect there to be some kind of buff, but I don't see anything.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    A thought on game design - based how open the character development is, you can get all the same defensive stuff as a ranged character as a melee can. Which means playing a melee is hard-mode once you start running into anything tougher. All the other ARPGs give melee character classes huge defensive buffs since melee is where you get smacked around but this game has no classes.