As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    That's when I fell in love with her. So adorable.

hi33he404s71.png

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    :P

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Still my favorite compilation

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rSh3BfwYsoE

"they all share a braincell and Sypha has it for 23 hours a day and Alucard has it for an hour"

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I completely forgot Curse of Darkness existed, and that Hector and Isaac were pulled from it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I completely forgot Curse of Darkness existed, and that Hector and Isaac were pulled from it.

All I can remember about Curse of Darkness was spending 4 or 5 hours leveling up a pumpkin familiar who, in an advanced form, would pull out a microphone and sing.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

All I can remember about Curse of Darkness was spending 4 or 5 hours leveling up a pumpkin familiar who, in an advanced form, would pull out a microphone and sing.

now I kind of want to play it

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

now I kind of want to play it

Fair warning, it's a 3D game in the PS2 era that got mediocre reviews back then. Probably why I completely shoved it out of my mind (especially after the N64 3D games).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I liked Curse and Lament of Innocence because they're still Castlevanias, but boy howdy they are repetitive and have boring design.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I liked Curse and Lament of Innocence because they're still Castlevanias, but boy howdy they are repetitive and have boring design.

I felt like, in terms of level design and aesthetic, Darksiders II was by far the best 3D Castlevania I've ever played. :razz:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is it March 5th yet?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    gonna have to binge this in a couple weeks to refresh

also Helsing abridged for no particular reason except for that I love it

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    gonna have to binge this in a couple weeks to refresh

also Helsing abridged for no particular reason except for that I love it

Hellsing abridged is good stuff, as is Ultimate.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ooh boy, looks like Sypha’s gonna have some killer fight scenes in this one. Can’t wait.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That looks great. Excited!

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wonder if there's going to be more to the plot than what was set up at the end of last season.
    I think it's a given that the two demon smiths and Carmilla are gonna be the bad guys, but is there any fallout from Dracula's death? Maybe the loss of the avatar of Chaos on Earth is driving the supernatural creatures into a frenzy? Are they even going to touch on Chaos as a concept in the series?

Fingers crossed, I love that shit.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ooh boy, looks like Sypha’s gonna have some killer fight scenes in this one. Can’t wait.

rocket hands

H9f4bVe.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Wonder if there's going to be more to the plot than what was set up at the end of last season.
    I think it's a given that the two demon smiths and Carmilla are gonna be the bad guys, but is there any fallout from Dracula's death? Maybe the loss of the avatar of Chaos on Earth is driving the supernatural creatures into a frenzy? Are they even going to touch on Chaos as a concept in the series?

Fingers crossed, I love that shit.
    Enlong wrote: »

rocket hands

I think the potential setup of the Sorrow lore depends on how far they intend to go with the series. It totally could set things up if they intend to timeskip to Rondo and Symphony, and then to Aria and Dawn. Using Alucard as a common thread of course.

Enlong on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I don't know, it would be weird to never have Simon in some form.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Yeah, I mean, if they wanted to do Simon's full story from Castlevania and Castlevania II it would only take one season total, I think.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Doing time jumps would be awesome.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I picked up Bloodstained and played it for hours today. I chose the kung fu boots at the beginning, fell in love with them, and while I've tried other weapons, I just love kicking the shit out of demons. I've got the sweet knife boots and have just been laying waste to enemies. It's super fun.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I also picked up Bloodstained today! I have a floating sword that growls at things, it’s neat!

I went for a katana and so far it’s working out okay. I do sorta wish it auto saved and kept whatever you’ve found before death, but I’m just learning to save often.

I got the rhava bural asap and used it till I upgraded to a chrissageam or whatever it was called in this game

I 100% the whole game

while I loved it on the PC, I have to admit that none of the bosses came close to being as good as the bosses in SoTN.

loved the game as a whole

Update: Along with the sword that follows me around I’m also wielding a sword that flies off, does a spin and then comes back to me. 5/5 GotY.

Just to provide some content to my post I’m trying to get back into art after years and I might design myself a faux-Castlevania cast and bosses to get my imagination going. I think it’d be real fun to work on a project with those constraints.

edited February 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yeah, I mean, if they wanted to do Simon's full story from Castlevania and Castlevania II it would only take one season total, I think.

Nah I say you split that into two seasons. Why rush it? I mean, hell, they got two seasons out of just Castlevania 3 and that has barely any story either. I feel like there's so much you could do with Castlevania 2 alone in particular. I mean, fuck, Carmilla is a boss in that game... (one of a whopping two.. lol... CV2 is weird) That alone is a good tie in.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Only lingering fear is Netflix is known for axing perfectly well-performing shows after 3 seasons simply because their projected engagement metrics show diminishing returns won't be worth the effort

Only lingering fear is Netflix is known for axing perfectly well-performing shows after 3 seasons simply because their projected engagement metrics show diminishing returns won't be worth the effort

Yeah Netflix better not fuck this up. I'm still baffled they didn't renew MST3K....

Well I managed to trigger the bad ending today:
    I shit kicked Gebel when I ran into him, which I immediately thought as the fight started that either:

a) this is an early fight as I still have like half the castle to explore

or

b) I triggered this fight way too early.

I killed Gebel and then got the ending and b) was confirmed.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

iirc the theory is that has less to do with projected engagement and more to do with that's generally when contract renegotiations generally come into play.

Or rather the PR line is "projected engagement" and the reality is "$"

Not sure if that comes into play with animation as much though.

never die wrote: »
    I shit kicked Gebel when I ran into him, which I immediately thought as the fight started that either:

or

you should be able to load up your last save and do it over

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

iirc the theory is that has less to do with projected engagement and more to do with that's generally when contract renegotiations generally come into play.

I.E. something is so successful that they might actually have to pay the people making it next time? So they'd rather move on?

Sounds about right.

never die wrote: »

or

you should be able to load up your last save and do it over

Oh yeah I laughed and loaded up my save and started exploring the rest of the map.

I.E. something is so successful that they might actually have to pay the people making it next time? So they'd rather move on?

Sounds about right.

Either explanation is a seriously toxic approach to the creative process so good job Netflix I guess
    Anyway, hopefully Ellis and Co. have written their finales securely in the event the show does get shitcanned. I honestly felt pretty satisfied by S2's conclusion so I have faith they can do the same this time

Joining in on, I know, the super hot take of man, the back half of this game is not well telegraphed at all, and the hint system they give you sucks:
    I eventually googled that I needed to kill a specific demon and get its shard to continue. They really should have had that be a hint from Dominique.

I didn't even catch a hint. What was the goddamn hint? (I too had to google that nonsense)

Fresh hot takes on the new game Bloodstained: Ritual of Myself and my Shadow as of 60% map completion:

Pros:
    1. The rose motif used throughout the game. At first I thought it was just on Miriam, then on the MP pick-ups, then on some stained glass windows... they’re even on Alfred’s robes.
    2. The enemies are brilliantly designed. For being pretty classic monsters, and with the expectation of them being Castlevania remixes, they’re unique and often funny!
    3. The sword familiar is so angry. Just the most pissed off thing I’ve ever seen in a video game. GRROARRGHH!!!

Cons:
    1. Not enough screen time for Zangetsu.
    2. Getting shards randomly doesn’t work as well as intended, I think. As I’ve learnt each enemy has one I just repeatedly farm the screen of a new enemy until it gives it up. Leaving an area without an enemy’s shard would be in error, as some are required for traversal. I think it’d be more satisfying if each one was behind an obvious extra strong one or a puzzle, like any other item. I get what they were going for though.
    3. To my knowledge you cannot actually cure Todd the Barber of his curse.

Missed Opportunity:
    - The demon holding the save point sofa should be a boss fight!*

*Don’t tell me if he is but I don’t think he is.

edited March 2020
    New Bloodstained kickstarter update:
    Hey, everyone!

As you may have noticed, we are no longer doing an update on the last Thursday of each month. Now that the game has launched, we are going to shift to smaller KS updates that occur when info is ready rather than waiting for a specific day.

The monthly schedule worked well pre-launch, but it isn’t suitable for a live product. Going forward you may get an update from just Fangamer or ArtPlay or 505, or a combo of the three.

The goal is to provide info to backers when it is relevant and ready, and not just because it is time. There need to be fewer “Updates about updates” and more updates that are interesting and informative along with announcements that have concrete info.

For those who want to only follow KS updates and not any of the social channels, we will collect important live info and repost here in digest form when needed.

With that said, here are some updates!

Game Mode Changes
    One of the promised stretch goals for the game was Roguelike. Unfortunately, the code that was created early in the game’s development is not currently compatible with this type of gameplay (especially a procedurally generated castle). Due to this, we regret to announce that we will not be developing Roguelike as part of the project's planned stretch goals.

We know this is a mode that many of you were eagerly anticipating and we apologize that we will not be able to make it happen as planned.

We don’t want to leave a hole in the roster, so we have developed a new game mode called “Randomizer” to take its place. Randomizer will launch with Zangetsu and be available for free. Details on Randomizer are laid out below.

Boss Revenge Mode
    On Discord, “Boss Revenge” mode had previously been mentioned as launching at the same time as Zangetsu. This statement was made in error. Boss Revenge is scheduled for the content update that follows Zangetsu and Randomizer.

Switch News
    Switch players may have already noticed the 1.04 update that went live in January. While this was the last Switch update focused primarily on performance, we are not done working to improve the platform. Switch has come a long way since launch and we are happy with the progress it has made, but there is still more to do (especially in large rooms/dragon towers). We will continually roll out enhancements along with content updates to make the experience as smooth as possible.

Content Cadence
    Switch 1.04 brought all the platforms (PC, PS4, Xbox and Switch) into ‘Content Parity’, which is a fancy way to say that they all have the same stuff. This was a big milestone for the game. When all the platforms are at the same place, it makes future updates easier to manage. The production teams can all work on the same content and release updates on a schedule with shorter gaps between them.

Randomizer Mode Details
    Randomizer is the story campaign you’re used to, but with a twist. Before starting a game, players can choose up to eight different game parameters to be randomized during the playthrough.
    e2679cb0c2570a073f2ce04a759d5d27_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1583182595&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=af004d7b11eea3c0676a93faa0fb9a05

As an example, “Items - Retain Method” means that items will be found in the same spawn method (chest, mob drop, etc.) as normal. Items found in chests will still be found in chests, they will just get mixed around. “Total random” means anything can drop anywhere.

The mode will ensure safeguards to ensure that items needed to complete the game will be obtainable, so you can’t softlock your progress.

Once you make your selections, you can generate a seed that you can use for reference or to share with someone else. In addition, a timer will track your progress through the game and display your completion time at the end of a run.

We hope that everyone will enjoy the new mode and work to get the shortest clear time possible for your permutations!

More details to come!

As always, we appreciate the patience that everyone has shown as we improve the game on all platforms and work on new content!

Jason ”Question” Ryan

Sr Community Manager - 505 Games

Boo, the Roguelike would have been fun. But Randomizer still sounds super cool

Warlock82 on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Randomizer mixing up skill shards (so you can just go with what chance gives you instead of farming shit) would get me to do more runs.

Randomizers in videogames are almost absolute fucking bonkers, Can't wait lol

I beat this over the weekend. It was super fun overall. I wish I had more to say, but it was very solid. I enjoyed my time with it, and stuck with using shoes weapons the entire game. Which meant when my dumbass remembered you could craft weapons 2/3 of the way through the game, my damage output shot through the roof, as I went from the Lethal boots to the Hermes Boots within an hour or so (I had the bunny boots as my interim).