As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    "Do you want my lunch leftovers? I don't want them to go to waste"
    No, I'm good
    "Seriously, it's really good! Try some!"
    What is it?
    "Soup!"

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I should probably start applying to new jobs at some point if I actually want to cut down my commute. I just feel weird about it!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Ugh, I should probably start applying to new jobs at some point if I actually want to cut down my commute. I just feel weird about it!

No need to feel weird about it. It's just you looking for positions that will be better for you, just like companies look for better employees if the ones they have aren't working out. You are not betraying anyone.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm betraying anyone, I just feel weird about looking for a new job when the only issue I have with my current one is the commute. I feel like it may be kind of hard to justify that in an interview.

Moriveth wrote: »
    I don't think I'm betraying anyone, I just feel weird about looking for a new job when the only issue I have with my current one is the commute. I feel like it may be kind of hard to justify that in an interview.

Nah, that's a totally reasonable explanation, and actually speaks well for you. It means you're generally in good standing where you work and are just looking to improve your position vs. jump out before you're fired etc. If they push, just say "I don't enjoy spending x hours of my day commuting when I could be doing something more productive".

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about that- it allows you to be honestly positive about your current position. Plus I think commute time is an extremely solid reason to be looking for a new job which most employers will understand and relate to.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    My kinda-day off yesterday turned into a normal workday, my actual day off today turned into 1/3 of a day off, I just about managed to get away for three hours in the middle of the day.

What's the word for not having hit the wall yet, but clearly being able to see the wall from where you are? There must be something in German.

Prexhausted.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    At this time last year I had a commute of 45-60 minutes one way. I now have a commute of 10-20 minutes one way. And more than 90% of the time the traffic is actually flowing (though going home it's usually slower than the speed limit), it's very rare that I'm in stop-and-go or standstill traffic. Last year that was an every day occurrence. If it weren't for a couple really annoyingly timed lights/intersections my commute would be even faster.

I feel so much better each day when I get home and not getting up so early is great as well. I don't collapse and take a nap as soon as I get home from work anymore. My outlook on weekends is better.

Shorter commute is a legit reason to look for a new job.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Car trouble
    Surprise illness on the job
    And two callouts
    Not to mention car servicing bullshit.
    Lovely march to the weekend

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Last few hours before a 3 day weekend. I have like no motivation left to do much of anything.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    my engineering team has given me 16 total packets of work to process all week as of yesterday. Each packet takes about 15 minutes to process in our system so we can purchase things and the shop can work on them. Its one of a myriad of duties i have.

Today they've given me 11 new packets, 10 of them being submitted after noon. I am annoyed to say the least.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There was a time when adding the lime hue to one's own post was a bit of a faux pas

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    What's north of South Carolina?

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    There was a time when adding the lime hue to one's own post was a bit of a faux pas

Those times are gone, much like the subject specific ban that used to exist.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

Wait, wait, I've got this one...
    is it Ar-Kansas?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Those times are gone, much like the subject specific ban that used to exist.

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

In general or directly? Because he could be right in a roundabout manner....

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Technically none of those aren't north of South Carolina.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Up to 16 packets! Glad i wasnt planning on leaving early.

Alright well... I'll start looking at my resume soon, I suppose.

I think part of my guilt is also that I just started in this new position. I guess if I do get a closer job I can just emphasize that it's literally just about the commute.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

I don't trust geography ever since that the city directly south of Detroit is Canadian.

steam_sig.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Flarne wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, if I ever go to any sort of forum meetup it better include 45 minutes of Zonugal teaching us all about history. That sounds rad.

If a history lesson is what you want I heartily recommend a 4-hour train trip with Platy

@Flarne

I met six Norwegians today and they were all very tall and had bushy beards and from the way they piled in through the door it might as well have been the Varangian Guard

Platy on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I took my current job (well, the job that led to my current job) largely because it shaved a mid-commute train line change and 30 minutes off my commute and it has made all the difference. Just to add further weight to the argument that it's an okay reason to want new digs.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm back to work tomorrow for a relatively straightforward day. The wife's brother is taking her in for her infusion tomorrow, then I'll do it again Sunday, and Monday she's on her own. Which is not amazing. So it'll be good to get back to some normalcy tomorrow for a little while, but I'm just going to be sitting there annoyed that I should be there with her.

I'm going to spoil the rest because I need to get this out somewhere but please skip if you don't want to go down a diagnosis rabbit hole or whatever.
    She has been having something going on with her right eye over the past few weeks. She's lost the ability to see a lot of detail through the eye with things being more blurry, and she can't really see warm colors. So like when a monitor is off, she can't see the red LED with her right eye. At night if she closes her left eye, she can't see the headlights of nearby cars. So she went to her doctor who sent her to an urgent appointment with their opthamology department. The doctor there basically brushed her off, told her to use liquid tears, and about walked away from her when she tried to ask more questions. Things didn't get better over the next two weeks, she called the local eye doctor and scheduled an appointment for yesterday morning.

The opthlamologist there did some tests and found significant swelling of her optic nerve and optic neuropathy. She was furious at the doctor my wife had seen before, printed out two copies of the reports and test results, sent my wife to the ER for an MRI, and gave my wife her personal cell phone number in case anyone questioned her further. Now, the hospital and ER are attached, but unlike the doc that saw her earlier, the doctors in the ER were fantastic. They were comforting to her, and just kept checking on us. One was the spitting image of Chris Hemsworth and I was like "hey bud, I'm also freaking out, please touch me gently and reassure me too." She had an ultrasound on her eyes (I didn't know that was a thing) which found that actually both retina were inflamed. She failed a reflex test. Then she was brought in for a brain and eye MRI. And they want to start working down her spine doing MRIs.

Ultimately according to the doctors they're looking at an MS diagnosis which... holy shit. I mean, the things she's been dealing with over the years, the weird numbness and tingling, the fatigue, depression, her vision problems, it all kind of falls into that, and she's been without answers for years other than "yeah, you have depression. Yeah you're anxiety prime. Good luck." Which, because she's both a woman, and has a mental illness diagnosis, means any other symptoms are waved away as part of the effects of mental illness and that pesky extra X chromosome. She's been out of work a lot, especially over the last six months, and it's put us into a bad financial place. None of that is her fault, but now she'll be out of work for even longer, plus having medical bills building up. And I'm here knowing that the work and a lot of the care for my daughter is all going to be on my shoulders and that the financial side is going to just get worse. And I just want to explode.

So yeah, getting to drill a few holes in walls tomorrow will be a nice relief. But I'm just lost right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm back to work tomorrow for a relatively straightforward day. The wife's brother is taking her in for her infusion tomorrow, then I'll do it again Sunday, and Monday she's on her own. Which is not amazing. So it'll be good to get back to some normalcy tomorrow for a little while, but I'm just going to be sitting there annoyed that I should be there with her.

I'm going to spoil the rest because I need to get this out somewhere but please skip if you don't want to go down a diagnosis rabbit hole or whatever.
    She has been having something going on with her right eye over the past few weeks. She's lost the ability to see a lot of detail through the eye with things being more blurry, and she can't really see warm colors. So like when a monitor is off, she can't see the red LED with her right eye. At night if she closes her left eye, she can't see the headlights of nearby cars. So she went to her doctor who sent her to an urgent appointment with their opthamology department. The doctor there basically brushed her off, told her to use liquid tears, and about walked away from her when she tried to ask more questions. Things didn't get better over the next two weeks, she called the local eye doctor and scheduled an appointment for yesterday morning.

The opthlamologist there did some tests and found significant swelling of her optic nerve and optic neuropathy. She was furious at the doctor my wife had seen before, printed out two copies of the reports and test results, sent my wife to the ER for an MRI, and gave my wife her personal cell phone number in case anyone questioned her further. Now, the hospital and ER are attached, but unlike the doc that saw her earlier, the doctors in the ER were fantastic. They were comforting to her, and just kept checking on us. One was the spitting image of Chris Hemsworth and I was like "hey bud, I'm also freaking out, please touch me gently and reassure me too." She had an ultrasound on her eyes (I didn't know that was a thing) which found that actually both retina were inflamed. She failed a reflex test. Then she was brought in for a brain and eye MRI. And they want to start working down her spine doing MRIs.

Ultimately according to the doctors they're looking at an MS diagnosis which... holy shit. I mean, the things she's been dealing with over the years, the weird numbness and tingling, the fatigue, depression, her vision problems, it all kind of falls into that, and she's been without answers for years other than "yeah, you have depression. Yeah you're anxiety prime. Good luck." Which, because she's both a woman, and has a mental illness diagnosis, means any other symptoms are waved away as part of the effects of mental illness and that pesky extra X chromosome. She's been out of work a lot, especially over the last six months, and it's put us into a bad financial place. None of that is her fault, but now she'll be out of work for even longer, plus having medical bills building up. And I'm here knowing that the work and a lot of the care for my daughter is all going to be on my shoulders and that the financial side is going to just get worse. And I just want to explode.

So yeah, getting to drill a few holes in walls tomorrow will be a nice relief. But I'm just lost right now.

I’m not sure what to say other than hugs and the bullshit in American medicine with women not being taken seriously has absolutely got to end.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I'm now back to a Monday through Friday schedule, happy Fridax!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    5 ambulance crews sitting in the hall as I leave the ED because we got no beds and their patients are too sick for the lobby. I'm hoping some miracle happens and the department is somehow cleaned up by the time I get back tomorrow.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    5 ambulance crews sitting in the hall as I leave the ED because we got no beds and their patients are too sick for the lobby. I'm hoping some miracle happens and the department is somehow cleaned up by the time I get back tomorrow.

that sounds... bad.

TheStig wrote: »

that sounds... bad.

When I worked materials at a hospital during flu season it would be so bad that every ER room except for the severe injury rooms were full, and there were people on cots in the hall with IVs, down into the service area. We had an ER that had 24 singles and 2 big rooms for serious injuries, and I think our record was over 50 people.

edited February 2020
    Ours is something like 75 counting the permanent hallway assignments and not counting our urgent care side which is usually working on 8 to 20 something people then our 3 trauma bays and however many people they're stashing in their hallway. I didn't see how many were in the lobby when I left but it's been hovering around 20-35 people the past two days.

Don't come here if you ain't dying.

TheStig on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I had a lunatic insist that I sped up the time on her computer rental. This was after she and another looney used the back corner of my very small print store for a makeshift mini-reunion and (thankfully) quietly alternated between empty platitudes about Jesus and chem trail level conspiracy theories.

I am actively working on building up my store’s survey count and scores and she filled out a bad one in front of me for my time banditry. She also kept calling me Scott when I am wearing a name tag with “Joshua” on it.

I am so ready to transfer out of retail.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well hey at least the bad survey should go to some chump called Scott instead of you

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Well hey at least the bad survey should go to some chump called Scott instead of you

I’m the store manager, all bad surveys go to me.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Just fire Scott and say problem solved.

steam_sig.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Just fire Scott and say problem solved.

Then he'll be Scott free!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I just spent the last couple of hours learning enough python to make a script that will save me minutes of work!

I feel like a real programmer now.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I once spent like 20 minutes devising a method to get a cord from the ground to the top of a desk instead of spending 45 seconds pulling the desk away from the wall. I feel like we all do extra work for no real reason because we overthink things all the time.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I love this xkcd comic when this topic comes up:

https://xkcd.com/1319/

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If I have no work to do I will absolutely spend several hours to make a process that will save me several minutes. I'm getting paid either way and it alleviates boredom while making me look busy.

20 patients in the waiting room at 7a. Longest wait time yesterday was 24 hours.

This discussion has been closed.