As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    It looks like we'll probably see more delays. A few kickstarters are reporting game Factories (most factories in general) in china have been shut down because of the Corona virus and need government approval to reopen.

kx3klFE.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It looks like we'll probably see more delays. A few kickstarters are reporting game Factories (most factories in general) in china have been shut down because of the Corona virus and need government approval to reopen.

That, unfortunately, certainly makes sense.

What is this I don't even.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

👏 Re 👏 Open 👏 The 👏 Pledge 👏 Manager 👏 And 👏 Let 👏 Us 👏 Buy 👏 More👏 Shit 👏

No but seriously that sucks and I hope China figures this out and these folks get better and stop suffering

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Hey, CGL's already said they'll open the PM for Wave 2, so....hang on to your spacebucks?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Well they didn't say anything about any more delays in the latest update, so that's good at least!

Also woo lapel pins!

That is so many pins. Damn.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    How big across are hexes again?

Tox wrote: »
    How big across are hexes again?

1"

kx3klFE.png
    edited February 2020
    Ehhhhh, are you sure? Pretty sure they're bigger than that, as I have a 1" hex dry erase mat and every base on every 'Mech I own is bigger than that.

[Edit] Yeah, I think it's closer to 1.25". The smaller flat-top hex base IWM sells is 30 mm flat to flat.

Nips on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I believe official maps are 33mm (1.3 in) flat to flat. Just slightly larger than the bases. 3rd party maps for battletech are typically listed as 1.25 in, but you can always play on maps with larger hexes.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Nips wrote: »
    Ehhhhh, are you sure? Pretty sure they're bigger than that, as I have a 1" hex dry erase mat and every base on every 'Mech I own is bigger than that.

[Edit] Yeah, I think it's closer to 1.25". The smaller flat-top hex base IWM sells is 30 mm flat to flat.

just measured and yep. its 1.25"-1.3" depending on how you measure it.

kx3klFE.png
    It makes me really really happy to know that the Comstar pin is basically gonna be a a rectangle that's about 2 inches long by not quite an inch wide and will basically look like a Star Trek insignia badge.

Also the FRR and Steiner pins 100% look like unit pins that you could put on a military uniform costume.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I think if I saw the Comstar badge I'd just assume they were some kind of warrant officer. Damned if I can remember what all those look like.

edited February 2020
    YuC9lNr.png

Soooo... in an attempt to recreate the fall of '88 when i was introduced to Battletech (with all the sweet mechs and vehicles strewn across a map on my friends dads table), i may have gotten in over my head and bought a 3D printer. Wish me luck! With a shitload to do this weekend and impending elbow surgery mid next week, i need to quit farting around with files and actually put the damn thing together.

thank god for thingiverse

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    YuC9lNr.png

Soooo... in an attempt to recreate the fall of '88 when i was introduced to Battletech (with all the sweet mechs and vehicles strewn across a map on my friends dads table), i may have gotten in over my head and bought a 3D printer. Wish me luck! With a shitload to do this weekend and impending elbow surgery mid next week, i need to quit farting around with files and actually put the damn thing together.

Welcome to the fun world! I'm curious, which printer did you buy?

My first Battletech thing I printed were hex bases for my metal figures that I have yet to paint.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    YuC9lNr.png

If you haven't found them already on there, I can recommend all the BT models by "Syllogy". Compared to most others, his are all custom posed and fixed to generally print well. Though the antennas are generally too small at that scale for an fdm printer.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    YuC9lNr.png

If you haven't found them already on there, I can recommend all the BT models by "Syllogy". Compared to most others, his are all custom posed and fixed to generally print well. Though the antennas are generally too small at that scale for an fdm printer.

oh... i found em alright

kx3klFE.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    YuC9lNr.png

Welcome to the fun world! I'm curious, which printer did you buy?

My first Battletech thing I printed were hex bases for my metal figures that I have yet to paint.

i3 Mega S

lots to print between Battletech, HeroQuest, D&D and the other little bits and pieces for my piles of games.

kx3klFE.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So today my regular gaming opponent wanted to play TT Battletech again.

My GLT-4L Guillotine vs his BLR-1D Battlemaster on a two map desert biome (no special rules in effect). The game came down to a machine gun.

He knew he had to keep his distance because while his PPC and armor gave him an advantage at range, my SRMs changed the equation at less than 9 hexes.

My first shot of the game is a head hit with my large laser, and the game becomes one of cat and mouse as I try to close while he tries to keep me at range. Armor keeps getting lower on both of us as we trade hits, and then I maneuver to get him within 5 hexes.

His response is to charge me, and 43 points of damage, even spread around, is scary. Luckily, I manage to keep standing from both the 20+ damage and being charged rolls, while he easily passes his own roll.

He breaks off again, and I decide to give him some space, but I also decide to start riding my heat bar more because I already had less armor to begin with, and now mine was considerably thinner. His shots start going internal, both arms and my right torso are stripped but luckily he keeps rolling low on his crit damage chance rolls, while I have his CT almost open.

Then comes what turns out to be our last damage trade. I go internal in his CT but don't find anything juicy. Meanwhile he rips off my left arm and nearly removes my right torso completely.

Then he fires one of his machine guns. A hit! The damage roll...a "2" on my (almost) pristine CT. I start sweating as he rolls for the critical hits.

And he rolls a "12." Two gyro hits and an engine hit.

Naturally I flub the 11+ needed for the seatbelt check, but I remain conscious. Not that it mattered. Unable to stand anymore, 19 heat on my heat scale thanks to previous heat, the alpha strike, and the engine hit, and multiple components open and/or ready to fall off meant game was effectively over.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Got word from a friend that a game store in the city had the Armored Combat box so I finally picked one up today!

Also hit the library makerspace and got a 'Mech started on their resin printer. Gonna have to wait 'til next week to pick it up though.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Y'all want some minis?

How bout some jumbo minis!
    dv5g4shui7gk.jpg
    xaz2gradva5x.jpg
    3sbfhdcqsypx.jpg

edited February 2020
    1. I love 3-ups!

2. @Nobody And that situation is precisely why I will always play with the Floating Crit rule nowadays. Having the 2 on the to-hit chart always hit the CT is a Feels Bad moment, and with the Floating Crit it's more terrifying (Oh No My Cockpit!) but usually less damaging.

Nips on
    Nobody wrote: »
    So today my regular gaming opponent wanted to play TT Battletech again.

My GLT-4L Guillotine vs his BLR-1D Battlemaster on a two map desert biome (no special rules in effect). The game came down to a machine gun.

He knew he had to keep his distance because while his PPC and armor gave him an advantage at range, my SRMs changed the equation at less than 9 hexes.

My first shot of the game is a head hit with my large laser, and the game becomes one of cat and mouse as I try to close while he tries to keep me at range. Armor keeps getting lower on both of us as we trade hits, and then I maneuver to get him within 5 hexes.

His response is to charge me, and 43 points of damage, even spread around, is scary. Luckily, I manage to keep standing from both the 20+ damage and being charged rolls, while he easily passes his own roll.

He breaks off again, and I decide to give him some space, but I also decide to start riding my heat bar more because I already had less armor to begin with, and now mine was considerably thinner. His shots start going internal, both arms and my right torso are stripped but luckily he keeps rolling low on his crit damage chance rolls, while I have his CT almost open.

Then comes what turns out to be our last damage trade. I go internal in his CT but don't find anything juicy. Meanwhile he rips off my left arm and nearly removes my right torso completely.

Then he fires one of his machine guns. A hit! The damage roll...a "2" on my (almost) pristine CT. I start sweating as he rolls for the critical hits.

And he rolls a "12." Two gyro hits and an engine hit.

Naturally I flub the 11+ needed for the seatbelt check, but I remain conscious. Not that it mattered. Unable to stand anymore, 19 heat on my heat scale thanks to previous heat, the alpha strike, and the engine hit, and multiple components open and/or ready to fall off meant game was effectively over.

And this right here is why battletech is so good and nothing will ever replace the original hex game. All that juicy crunchy bit by bit damage of 2 behemoths slogging it out back and forth. AlphaStrike is nice, but is not nearly as satisfying.

kx3klFE.png
    edited February 2020
    Took me 4 tries getting this guy to print, but he's "done"

https://imgur.com/a/sCgHnOm

Need to do a shit load of trimming

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited February 2020

Congrats Hydro it's a.... Blob. Actually that is a really good Cyclops. Guessing the other four attempts were different positions to minimize the support?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

Congrats Hydro it's a.... Blob. Actually that is a really good Cyclops. Guessing the other four attempts were different positions to minimize the support?

Haha! No. Nozzle was just a smidge too high and kept jacking up the base. This is the first one that got higher than like 5 lines. I still need to figure out how to do anything more advanced than hitting slice in cura and printing whatever it outputs.

kx3klFE.png

Haha! No. Nozzle was just a smidge too high and kept jacking up the base. This is the first one that got higher than like 5 lines. I still need to figure out how to do anything more advanced than hitting slice in cura and printing whatever it outputs.

Like fill patterns, print speed, etc.? Or how to use a Raspberry Pi and Octoprint connected to an Alexa controlled power supply and webcams to make your printer be a wireless hub of awesomeness?

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited February 2020

Trimming? More like carving.

That right there might as well be your Statue of David, as much cut work you've got to do.

Nips on

Trimming? More like carving.

That right there might as well be your Statue of David, as much cut work you've got to do.

No joke. I'm sitting here staring at it wondering how the hell I'm gonna cut it out

kx3klFE.png
    https://imgur.com/a/fA4jP3M

Welp... I broke off both arms, and it took me almost 90 minutes with an exacto and sprue cutters, but he's out!

He's pretty rough, but some glue and a coat of dark paint will make him quite dapper.

kx3klFE.png
    edited February 2020
    Oh hey, I found a long-lost Star League factory for UrbanMechs.

khn2kKhh.jpg

Too bad there's a shortage of guns and just a bunch of spare, oversized legs

Nips on

khn2kKhh.jpg

How many did you assemble?

oosik_betsuni.png
    https://imgur.com/a/K2hDbKP

A Lance of Manticors! Way easier to clean up than the cyclops. They came out a tad big for a 60 ton tank, so I'll probably shrink em by 20% and try again. The hex base on em are 1.25". Huuuuuge tanks.

kx3klFE.png

khn2kKhh.jpg

None. Fortunately, I already own enough small trash cans.

khn2kKhh.jpg

None. Fortunately, I already own enough small trash cans.

You can never have enough trash cans.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Crossposting my painted robits from the painting thread!
    Finished the last four Mechs from the Battletech starter box! Having a blast playing this game over beer and pretzels. My friend got some awesome 3d printed city terrain and we've been playing a 5 person merc campaign. All of us are almost bankrupt.
    BT_lance02.jpg

Battlemaster (died from an SRM ammo explosion. Will be a long time before I can buy another.)
    BT_battlemaster_turn.gif

Thunderbolt (solid workhorse brawler. It's slabs of armour and jumpjets have served me well.)
    BT_thunderbolt_turn.gif

Shadowhawk (yet to be fielded, though I'm not expecting great things. Inferior in pretty much all ways to the Wolverine.)
    BT_shadowhawk_turn.gif

Locust (Cheap as chips and annoying enough to be useful, unlike it's garbage starterbox counterpart, the Commando)
    BT_locust_turn.gif

For posterity, the rest of my stable.
    BT_lance01.jpg

website_header.jpg
    Those are so good they don't even look real

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Sitting here at midnight-thirty just shaking my head as I look at how beautiful those are.

As Keanu would say, they're breathtaking.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys! These are really fun to paint because they have loads of detail but I don't have to paint a zillion of them, like warhammer armies.
    My friend recently got a nice resin 3d printer, so I'll be able to get my hands on some tasty new models soon. Probobly try my hand at a Hunchback first.

website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    Thanks guys! These are really fun to paint because they have loads of detail but I don't have to paint a zillion of them, like warhammer armies.
    My friend recently got a nice resin 3d printer, so I'll be able to get my hands on some tasty new models soon. Probobly try my hand at a Hunchback first.

You should check out the MWO model of the Locust. Honestly I love it more than the TT remodeled version.

oosik_betsuni.png