As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I have an expedition token. Should I just do it or get some more card knowledge first?

Just DO IT. You'll get another one next week. The expedition token is essentially good for two drafts. You'll figure it out on the fly and the system is much more forgiving than other drafts, they will throw card synergy at you. Plus it's fun, a great way to test out champs and strategies you don't currently own, and you get good exp and free shit.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    In an exposition at 5 or 6 wins. Have a fiora with 3 kills, and just cast a deny on them killing her. We both out of cards. She's my only unit. He has a 1/1 on board. Attack token switches to me.

I pull the 1/1.

Mother fucker drew a riposte. Barrier and +3 Attack. Virtually any other card I win.

Fuck.

This is how I feel every time I see Ionia when I'm playing decks with spell win conditions. I really should just surrender when I see them period. They always have that Deny.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I watched a short video about expeditions. It showed the drafting process with heroes, synergies, and wild picks. And it looks like you draft twice?

The video says you max out at 7 wins but are out if you lose two in a row. Was that a error? Like is it two losses or two in a row?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You basically get to play in two different drafts for the price of an entry. Your better run is the one that counts for rewards.

You also need to lose twice in a row to lose. So if you Win Lose Win Lose Win Lose Win Lose etc. you never actually lose and can have a full 7 win run.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I got the Spirit Isles to level 8 and got my 3rd Elise. Switched over to Piltover and Zaun. They look very spell heavy, which is a nice change of pace from spiders and ghosts.

After Piltover I would suggest Ionia if only to get a few of their obnoxious tools.
    I watched a short video about expeditions. It showed the drafting process with heroes, synergies, and wild picks. And it looks like you draft twice?

The video says you max out at 7 wins but are out if you lose two in a row. Was that a error? Like is it two losses or two in a row?

Two in a row and you have to win your match after the sixth win.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Followup on using Shady Character to copy a follower that has one of your cards detained.
    When Shady Character becomes the copied car,d it too has detained, and if you get it killed the detained champion or follower comes out of it.
    BUT interestingly, once it's gotten out, it's out. There isn't also a copy detained on the original any more. Because this time I killed the other guy too and nothing happened.
    It lost the detained status once the shady copy died. So it's less a duplicate detainment and more like a secondary escape hatch.

Only finished one expedition so far, but it was a pretty meh 1 win both times. Neither deck was terrible, but had some close hard matches back to back in both, and some poor draws.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

Just dive in and try it; you'll love it.

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

I started doing Expeditions after a couple of weeks and basically don't want to play anything else now.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Ivellius wrote: »

I started doing Expeditions after a couple of weeks and basically don't want to play anything else now.

I could never get into the Arena in Hearthstone, but I'm really loving Expeditions here. With Hearthstone Arena I never felt like I was good enough at deckbuilding to have a cohesive card-picking strategy, but Runeterra's themed packs of three and change-your-deck-as-you-go system really work for me.

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    Its official, I stink at draft. Plat III in constructed tho, so Im not awful ><

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think expeditions just have too much RNG in deckbuilding to be consistent in any way. I've picked Teemo and then it will show sets of "shroom and boom" that do nothing to actually help that plan.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I figure expeditions are like draft. Trying to go for a synergy deck like Teemo may backfire on you, because you want really specific cards.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I figure expeditions are like draft. Trying to go for a synergy deck like Teemo may backfire on you, because you want really specific cards.

Yes and no it's like draft. You're drafting a deck, but you get 3 cards in a pick, and they often through synergy cards. Pick shen or fiora and you're likely to see a lot of barrier cards. It's not exactly a constructed deck, but you often get the parts of a cohesive deck

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Yes and no it's like draft. You're drafting a deck, but you get 3 cards in a pick, and they often through synergy cards. Pick shen or fiora and you're likely to see a lot of barrier cards. It's not exactly a constructed deck, but you often get the parts of a cohesive deck

I get that but you still risk not getting clutch cards for combo decks.

• Options

What the hell. Drafted the frostbite champion lady and the lady that wins you the game if she survives 4 attacks. Most of the draft leaned towards frostbite stuff. Win my first game and got another of the frostbite champions. Guess we're all-in on frostbite.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    OMG my first 7 win expedition. elusives + ashe yasuo is good deck. I should try to make a real deck with that.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The problem I generally

What the hell. Drafted the frostbite champion lady and the lady that wins you the game if she survives 4 attacks. Most of the draft leaned towards frostbite stuff. Win my first game and got another of the frostbite champions. Guess we're all-in on frostbite.

Ashe decks are nasty. Especially cause draft will let you stock up a stupid amount of frostbite spells sometimes and Ashe is brutal to deal with and also she's a champion you don't need to have on the board to level up.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    The problem I generally

Ashe decks are nasty. Especially cause draft will let you stock up a stupid amount of frostbite spells sometimes and Ashe is brutal to deal with and also she's a champion you don't need to have on the board to level up.

Also, frostbite spells support Fiora wins fine. And Ashe level up basically means you can start your turn with Crystal Arrow and remove every blocker that turn in most cases.

• Options
    First loss was to a 30/30 (?!) very late in the game. Looked like a total meme card, so I can't be too mad at that. I won the next game, then lost again when I went with an all-in attack and all my guys got ephemeraled. That sucked!

Still struggling to hold on at 2 wins as I post this. And I won! This was totally back-breaking:

4pproeh0kjtl.png

I held that Ashe in my hand for several turns waiting to get to play her on his turn so I could get her effect immediately. Totally paid off! Froze his entire board and stopped them from blocking. The best part was that he was basically running a deck similar to mine with Ashe and Ulnuks. I have two of the 3/3 Summoning ones and 4 of the 4/5 regular ones. His 3/3 hit nothing, then on the next turn mine hit 3. :biggrin:

3 wins so far! Not bad for a first run.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Not a fan of "play with champions you don't own or even particularly like" daily quests.

Also thanks for rerolling to two other quests like that.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Not a fan of "play with champions you don't own or even particularly like" daily quests.

Also thanks for rerolling to two other quests like that.

good thing you can complete them in AI matches. if i needed to win against a player oh boy that would be annoying. thought of the three deck you get at the start only the freilord and demacia deck was decent.

• Options
    My current Expedition run is at 5-wins, with each win coming off a loss. So, two more wins, eh? Regardless, I'm happy with the results for my first try.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    My current Expedition run is at 5-wins, with each win coming off a loss. So, two more wins, eh? Regardless, I'm happy with the results for my first try.

So if you get to 7, it's all or nothing in one game. Good luck! One 7 win and you have enough shards to go again, and should be able.tp get to free expiditions which I highly recommend. I would have dropped so much money on this game if not for that.

• Options
    You’ve not get rewards twice for expeditions, right? The third runs onward are all free with no rewards.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    You’ve not get rewards twice for expeditions, right? The third runs onward are all free with no rewards.

Third expedition still gives full rewards. After that you do single trials that only give xp.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    gsw4c869ui9w.png

Not too bad for my first time. :biggrin:

My final game was against a Poison Mushroom deck that had a turn 1 Teemo. Was lucky enough to kill him on turn 2 with a Wolf before Teemo came back again a few turns later. Got a 3 Ulnecks on turn 5 and decided I was on too short a clock to screw around.

Fortunately, I had a lot of Frostbite effects, so my only concern was drawing too many Mushrooms. The last turn of the game, I had 8hp, a board full of minions, and 78 fucking Mushrooms in my deck!. He had no cards, 2 minions, and 4hp. It all came down to my final draw.

By some miracle, I only drew 2 Mushrooms and got the win. Damn!

Overall, I feel like I got really lucky with my draft, or maybe I'm not that bad at the game. Probably a little of both. Not sure if I want to do another expedition though. Might take the 3,000 shards and just craft some cards instead. Help fill out the collection. I think I'll be fine with the free expedition each week for the time being.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    Fun Fact: i've don't FF in PvP. I play to the whistle, even when I'm getting smashed. I like to think I get a little extra IQ working with what i got, even in a losing situation. Anyone else in this room do the same?

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Fun Fact: i've don't FF in PvP. I play to the whistle, even when I'm getting smashed. I like to think I get a little extra IQ working with what i got, even in a losing situation. Anyone else in this room do the same?

Depends on my opponent. People who start playing even more stuff after I pass on lethal? Fuck that shit. Or if it's clearly going to take forever to actually lose (I know I have no outs but could stall for a while).

Polaritie on
  • Options

i don't surrender. i willing to let them take as much time or not to finish me off. one card or misplay can save the game.

• Options
    I like to think they’re trying to finish a quest

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    J2jYG4Vh.png

RIP Dark Zaxxor, died on their attack phase

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    J2jYG4Vh.png

...That is disgusting.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    J2jYG4Vh.png

...That is disgusting.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did you play Fiora, then use Judgement to clear their board? Do those 5 kills count towards her quest? If so, that's fucking bonkers (and awesome)!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    It does count.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »
    J2jYG4Vh.png

...That is disgusting.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did you play Fiora, then use Judgement to clear their board? Do those 5 kills count towards her quest? If so, that's fucking bonkers (and awesome)!

Yep, though it was somewhat dependent on them playing into it - Judgment only hits enemies in battle, so they still had to swing with everything after I played Fiora for it to work. If they’d played more cautiously it might not have gone my way

(Though more likely if they’d held back I’d have attacked with a bunch forcing them to block or take damage, with Judgment held until they overcommitted in either direction)

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Well, I got every region to 8 now. What should I start leveling further do ya think?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Well, I got every region to 8 now. What should I start leveling further do ya think?

Whatever you like most.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I somehow got all the way through Piltover & Zaun plus 3 vaults and numerous 7 win Expeditions without getting a single Puffcap Peddler or many of the mushroom cards at all! Such injustice. Finally spent some wild cards to remedy the situation.

• Options
    woo, got my second 7-win expedition, and have capped those for the week, so I decided to splash some shards and wildcards and build a real deck - Yasuo/Ionia with a side of Noxus

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, that Kalista + The Undying deck I just got stomped by had some nasty synergies.

...I'll make my own.