As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wolcen] Out of EA Today (2/13)! Servers online, but shakey.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Man, Edric dropped me from "the game just needs polish and for the servers to not be getting hammered" to "the devs have no idea what they're doing" real quick. Every little flaw with the game is exacerbated tenfold with Mr 3-stages of one shotsm

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mirkel wrote: »
    A thought on game design - based how open the character development is, you can get all the same defensive stuff as a ranged character as a melee can. Which means playing a melee is hard-mode once you start running into anything tougher. All the other ARPGs give melee character classes huge defensive buffs since melee is where you get smacked around but this game has no classes.

That's why PoE makes things like this.

So it's just male/female avatar and you get free reign of the skill tree? This sounds p sweet.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Man, Edric dropped me from "the game just needs polish and for the servers to not be getting hammered" to "the devs have no idea what they're doing" real quick. Every little flaw with the game is exacerbated tenfold with Mr 3-stages of one shotsm

Took me 10-15 tries. Dude is a chore - went back and swapped skills bought some gear with more defensive stats, etc. before I could do it.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Well the block mechanic is one that only really makes sense for melee. And its a decent dmg reduction and is there is a 2 point cluster that gives you low level shield free +block for any melee weapons.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Downloading now, thank god for gigabit internet

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Bad news, they're having some emergency maintenance right now afaik so the servers are down.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »

Took me 10-15 tries. Dude is a chore - went back and swapped skills bought some gear with more defensive stats, etc. before I could do it.

What builds are y'all using? I'm running a two handed melee tank and only died in the last battle due to dodge rolling the wrong way through his giant ring of fuck you in the third phase. If anyone needs a hand with that boss I'd be glad to help!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

So top 3 stats give you damage bonus. One of these stats should always be toughness. I put 4 points into toughness every level. For spells do willpower, for physical do agility. Ferocity or Willpower is your choice after that.

Also check your resists. It takes a few points to be worth anything. I've got like 27% material resists at Edric and 1500 hp so he only has one ability that'll one shot me
    (The charged point blank gun in Stage 2)

You can also get a spell that heals over time, and Judgement as a shield for melees. The game also gives you an I-frame roll.

P.S. I am also bad at video games, so I'm sure someone will come by with real math to better explain it. You just have to watch him and everything he has is dodgeable, except I suck at dodging the radial shots off his leap in stage 3

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I know how to play videogames. Dodge rolls don't work so hot in a game with absurd lag and utterly baffling hitboxes that bounce you around when dodging, nor do they work well when many of the bosses attacks have random directionality like his leap in phade three.

Also, frankly, if the bosses are going to require massive tankiness investment to clear, then it's a huge failure of game design that nothing else is even remotely threatening. Bosses should be harder, sure, but you should feel threatened by elite mobs if your durability is too low for bosses.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Yeah I've seen lots of complaints about edric, it seems like anything but tanky melee gets wrecked by him.. He was trivial for my tanky build as I just stood there and beat him down without even having to dodge roll and lifestealed through all his damage (he was the first boss to make me use my health potion though!) but if you went anything else it seems to take a bunch of tries and luck

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    I have a glass cannon mage build and the game has been pretty easy until edric. difficulty is more due to the fact it's so long and the delay on dodge or teleport is a killer.

• Options
    Yeah I've seen lots of complaints about edric, it seems like anything but tanky melee gets wrecked by him.. He was trivial for my tanky build as I just stood there and beat him down without even having to dodge roll and lifestealed through all his damage (he was the first boss to make me use my health potion though!) but if you went anything else it seems to take a bunch of tries and luck

Yeah it seems like an endurance test. Play it slow, play it safe, bring sustain.
    I know how to play videogames. Dodge rolls don't work so hot in a game with absurd lag and utterly baffling hitboxes that bounce you around when dodging, nor do they work well when many of the bosses attacks have random directionality like his leap in phade three.

Are you playing online? Cause their servers are still on fire. Offline I don't see any of these issues.

• Options
    Anyone know if their matchmaking is working yet? I'd like to try actual multiplayer with my online character but I've yet to get a public game to launch

• Options
    I just relaunched after dinner and servers are still down.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    I have a glass cannon mage build and the game has been pretty easy until edric. difficulty is more due to the fact it's so long and the delay on dodge or teleport is a killer.

I crushed him on one shot with my pistol mage, but I've been making a point to invest in toughness. I think the only thing that one shot me was his flame ring?

I do worry that the open nature of the game will come back to bite it balance wise. And it's def missing some qol features. But all in all its pretty fun

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    edric is just mechanics and saving at least one stamina point

phase 1 dont shoot shield or stand in triangle

phase 2 literally just stay behind him and he cannot hurt you, roll into the first triangle when he does triangle series after hes shot it never take damage

phase 3 is just stay away from him when hes running around and roll towards him when the fire ring happens

same as he was in beta. i have never put a point in toughness and never will

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Toughness is my primary stat because I am bad at video games and need to be a big big beef in order to make up for it.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Here's something I just figured out - rerolling the sockets an item has at the gem vendor adds sockets to items that have none. It's really cheap too.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

Maintenance extended until 12 hours from now.

• Options
    edric is just mechanics and saving at least one stamina point

phase 1 dont shoot shield or stand in triangle

phase 2 literally just stay behind him and he cannot hurt you, roll into the first triangle when he does triangle series after hes shot it never take damage

phase 3 is just stay away from him when hes running around and roll towards him when the fire ring happens

same as he was in beta. i have never put a point in toughness and never will

Maybe I'm just bad? But like... he jumps, and then shoots out aoe lines in 4 directions, so if you happen to roll the wrong way, even if you dodge the jump, you still die. I thought at first they were always an X shape, but it's actually a cross with one going in the direction that he jumps. Even then it wasn't always clear, and if you want to actually dodge every single thing he does you would never have time to attack. Oh, and there are adds attacking you the whole time that just sort of gnat bite you, but it's not nothing.

I did get it done, and I don't think it's a giant failure of game design, but it was very jarring to go from almost nothing being dangerous to a giant eff-you where you have to play perfectly (however easy/hard that might be based on your skill) or die.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I've been playing a lot with a group of friends, we all decided to do a (up to) 24 hour stream and made it about 20 hours. We finally got online and together and made it to the end of Chapter 3. My current build is very fun, but not nearly as safe as a ranged magic damage dealer. Currently using Dagger/Catalyst and enjoying a lot of the rogue skills.

Phantom Blades, for massive ranged damage on a decently short cooldown. Infinity Blades is my willpower spender and defensive attack tool. I have the perk that lets it refill force shield, and gain a lot of willpower on crits and kills, letting me keep it going for a LONG time. Aether Jump to get around, if you want to be a bit more attack focused you can use wings of ishmar to get more rage at the start. For my 4th slot I switch between Sovereign Shout for buffs and resistances, and Juggernaut for defenses. Then I have blade slayer's flurry for burning rage to willpower, I use the aoe and ailment choices for this and Infinity blades.

My passive tree is a lot of ailment skills, including the final ring that includes force shield doubling and 15% cap on your health, and the stack ailments on yourself when you apply them to enemies. That with the applying a single ailment can double apply it to yourself means that I am constantly giving myself stacks of toxin and stasis and burning, which get wiped off at 10 stacks, healing myself and refilling my force shield.

Lots of mobility with the slayer's flurry dash and teleport, lots of frontal aoe with infinity blades, but somewhat squishy with few resists from sorcerer's armor and relying on force shield.

Like I said its not super amazeballs efficiency clearing wise, but its super fun to play with. Im thoroughly enjoying myself with it still.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Bad news, they're having some emergency maintenance right now afaik so the servers are down.

Offline mode

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    There any way to clone my online character and keep going offline?

• Options
    Most OP stat so far is movespeed

• Options
    There any way to clone my online character and keep going offline?

They're entirely separate, which is a bit of a bother, but totally necessary since offline characters can be modded, etc. (they could have let you move an online character off, but not vice-versa, but I understand why that wasn't a high value feature to implement)

• Options

That's true for any game ever, really.

• Options

Which is why I like the channeled upgrade for bladestorm so much. You go real fast

• Options
    If anyone else uses it, they just added wolcen to Geforce Now, now playing it on my super shitty laptop and it runs better than my desktop, woo! ..Now if only the servers weren't down for 10 more hours..

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Edric was not really that hard guys. After doing other mechanics-based bossfights I was expecting a lot more than what I got...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Played on windows for a bit. Think I prefer the proton globe heads.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Since the servers are down, i rolled up an offline character.

Decided this time around to keep up with the spellcasting + dots, but instead of pistoleering my way through things, i'm now a melee-wielding psycopath.

Currently the skill load out is

Aether Jump, Bleeding Edge, Juggernaught, Soverign Shout, and Infinity Blades. Aether Jump and Afinity blades make rage, as does Shout. Bleeding Edge is specced to consume as much rage as possible, and linger - so you jump onto things and shout their faces off/slice dice, then drop bleeding edge and watch everything get ripped to shreds. Gone pure Wisdom and Ferocity this time for stats - toughness is for WEAKLINGS! ...we'll find out if this is true, but it seems to be working out well. Juggernaught and Shout also provide survability buffs, though it'd be nice to know how much by (The game's tooltips def need some love)

Right now going heavy cabalist (Aiming to get all major nodes and probably all secondary nodes, plus minors as needed), dipping into Abyssal to pick up Fatal Pact, and then the plan is to pivot through Warmonger and pick up all the big nodes in Duskglaive, which should suit the playstyle of this perfectly as well as giving more tricks to survive (Exploding clones and invisible dodges, oh my!)

Seems pretty damn fun so far!

Also found my first unique, but it's a fancy shield intended for paladin style characters - lets you cast Sacred spells. Which must just be Bulwark? It's unclear, i havent seen any spells tagged Sacred, so i'm assuming it's tied to damage types. Guess i can try equipping it at 15 and seeing what it lets me cast

• Options
    Ugh, I ran into the progress not saved -bug in Act III. I do stuff, log out, come back and my character is same level but missing a bunch of waypoints. I suppose I could finish the rest of Act III in one go once I have like 2-3 hours free.

Guess it's time to start an alt or something.

• Options
    Edric was not really that hard guys. After doing other mechanics-based bossfights I was expecting a lot more than what I got...

As has been noted, if you're offline it's probably a lot easier since the dodge functionality and hitboxes in the game might actually work.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Maintenance extended again, no ETA :?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Im just conditioned by the genres general bad design i guess. Edric is easier/better than most PoE league bosses lately. Id say better than D3 bosses but those are just one shot fests or no new ones in years.

They shouldnt have given a time in the first place. Big mistake shops make when they have to do hefty maintenance like this.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Well, i just did Edric a second time, this time offline.

He uh, he was an utter joke this time around. The moment a dot or two got onto him, he'd get his shield shredded, and once he was stunned he usually didnt get up again. @surrealitycheck is right about dots doing clowncar level damage.

Also bleeding edge with unstoppable momentum is just unfair. Cant wait to get Astral Orbit stacked ontop of that so i just have BLENDER MODE whenever i cast it.

Edit, to clarify - this is my no toughness run. Going 50/50 wis and ferocity. Gold and blue mobs can be a ltitle scary, anything with a breakbar is just a matter of wiating for them to have a moment to drop an attack on, then they're gonners.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Just in case someone here is in the same boat as me:

My framerate was super unstable. On idle it would say 120, then the moment anything happened it would dip to 20-40

I changed my FPS to Vsync off/Limited to 90, and I am buttery smooth and only using 60% of my gpu.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Oooof, never mind, I hate abyssal pact. The requirement of ten attacks is just too high. Duskweavers equilibrium mechanic is also no good for this build, I don't do enough attacks Vs spells.

OTOH, duskweaver has some really good minor passive nodes. +100 willpower ace rage? 2 extra stamina nodes? Yeah, I'll take these.

The Dodge roll doing damage does nothing though =[

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So when I was looking at settings earlier, there’s one where you can disable “enemy blink” I think it was called... and it removes that white flash for marking hits.

In case you’re like me and wish that didn’t exist in other games.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Im just conditioned by the genres general bad design i guess. Edric is easier/better than most PoE league bosses lately. Id say better than D3 bosses but those are just one shot fests or no new ones in years.

They shouldnt have given a time in the first place. Big mistake shops make when they have to do hefty maintenance like this.

I'd say Edric is up there with the story mission boss fights. Dude ain't got shit on Uber Elder or Uber Atziri. Hell, Izaro.

jungleroomx on