As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I honestly do not know what to make of that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    hard pass.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/EVQ7xDSgtI0

This is the weirdest trailer, like the audio feels off, it doesn't seemingly tell a coherent story, its just scenes and dialogue. It reminds me of a bad Segal trailer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it was probably shot in like three languages and then re-re-redubbed.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This is the weirdest trailer, like the audio feels off, it doesn't seemingly tell a coherent story, its just scenes and dialogue. It reminds me of a bad Segal trailer.

Thoughts while watching the trailer:
    Well, it has been a while since hollywood dug up Dumas.
    Wait, was that Schwarzenegger?
    I don't remember any of Dumas' works going to Russia
    Okay, dragons. Great wall of China, ninjas... this is not the direction I was expecting a movie named "Iron Mask" to take when the trailer starts in the Tower of London.

May be in for a matinee showing.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a Chinese movie alright.

• Options
    Yeah, that's a Chinese movie alright.

I imagine since Chan is in it the overall message is communist china fixes all things and western countries are the real villains.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The French Dispatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPk2p0Zaw4&feature=emb_logo

Wes Anderson flick with a hell of a cast.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This looks good and also probably not something I would would want to watch

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    *drafts*
    see317 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Thoughts while watching the trailer:
    Well, it has been a while since hollywood dug up Dumas.
    Wait, was that Schwarzenegger?
    I don't remember any of Dumas' works going to Russia
    Okay, dragons. Great wall of China, ninjas... this is not the direction I was expecting a movie named "Iron Mask" to take when the trailer starts in the Tower of London.

May be in for a matinee showing.

Just to be annoying

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/VoJc2tH3WBw

I did not know this existed and now I am dying to see it.

The Green Knight, dir. David Lowery, produced by A24

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    something i am enjoying very much is the resurgence of taking ancient stories seriously on their own terms

eg the witch could be looked at as "what would it have meant for their beliefs about witches to be literally true?"

and this is a similar take on arthurian stories which i dig - i always remember the green knight story being very disconcerting when i read it as a kiddiwinkle, and i think it is a correct read to look at this and say "damn this culture really was quite distant from ours, and taking their premises seriously results in a very alienating and strange vibe"

the complaints about casting are to me particularly funny because when you look at the project it is such an unironic and naturalistic take on these legends... if realism is ur concern enjoy the naturalism of construction because u sure as shit arent getting that from robin hood prince of thieves

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The costuming and set dressing is mesmerizing. Whoever designed those crowns to mimic the halos from gothic and Byzantine iconography deserves all the awards.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    A24's 99th film, I think. One of these days I'll get around to watching the full catalog, I've already seen 15 or so.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    A24 is synonymous with quality for me. So many good movies have come out of that studio it's kind of crazy.

This looks no different, that trailer looks like one of the more original and interesting period pieces I've seen in a bit.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/A5U4OTJKBko

This show continues to mystify me. Like it appears to be going for like pulp/exploitation, but its based on a real thing. I'm so confused.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The use of horror trailer tropes also really intrigues me.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The use of horror trailer tropes also really intrigues me.

it's a very interesting tone to tell the story in. like it has some elements that really speak to that on its own and to emphasize them and lean into it rather than on a more shiny and romantic tone is very cool.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Iron Mask, wow uh. Yeah. Most of the effects look worse than video game cinematics. Are Chan and Arnie only in that one scene? Feels like it. It's actually a Russian flick, and is the sequel to uh, the original called Viy. This one is Viy 2, Journey to China.

Looks like a disaster.

On the other hand, Hunters looks pretty awesome.

Nosf on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Iron Mask looks inexplicably like a Hidden Object game. They share that weird aesthetic of like...

clutter

blobs of colored lighting coming from multiple directions with no concern for composition

everything is its own point of focus

the world is badly digital but also made to look like a small set for some reason

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    According to this BMD article The Iron Mask bombed pretty hard in both Russia and China, too, only making back approximately 10% of its budget

edit to fix link

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    According to this BMD article The Iron Mask bombed pretty hard in both Russia and China, too, only making back approximately 10% of its budget

edit to fix link

Man I can't imagine how it looks so good in that trailer

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJ2UViwlfI

Dev Patel is having a bit of a moment.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJ2UViwlfI

Dev Patel is having a bit of a moment.

This looks like it'll be a good time at the movies. Nothing earth shattering, just an old fashioned tale with good actors getting to chew the scenery a bit.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    that better not have all been from the last episode of the season, like 1 & 2 had.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Put it in my veins

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    I love Warren Ellis. His imprint was all over the first two seasons of Castlevania.

• Options
    Put it in my veins

And then suck it out?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Oh wow, they're really following up on the end of S2.

S2 is honestly where the meat of the interesting stuff happens so far, so I'm pretty happy to see that S3 looks to be developing heavily out of S2. I was worried they might do some kind time skip thing, but nope, our favorite couple of assholes are going to get to team up again, hooray!

Also, that animation and music look and sound boss. Pretty pleased with everything in that trailer.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Put it in my veins

And then suck it out?

k50pgjrg4usd.jpg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I've watched the trailer 4 times already. I am so hyped.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9vp9lhZiqU

Horrible hipster shit meets Carrie ironically or not who knows I just know I am not ok with this show.

• Options
    I like that actress so I'll give it a go at least.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Hey, it's the kid who plays Stan Uris in IT playing Stanley Barber in I Am Not Okay With This. Way to get typecast Stan!

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Not sure where you're getting hipster vibes from, is it just because there's an LCD Soundsystem song in the trailer?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Not sure where you're getting hipster vibes from, is it just because there's an LCD Soundsystem song in the trailer?

The music is one part, but also the lol random stuff from the guy like no shoes, and the deliberate attempt to make everything have a 70's dated look that was annoying from indie films in the early '00s from clothes to cars to rooms. Mumblecore is bad, Zoomercore will be worse.

This discussion has been closed.