As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a DVR for my TV

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
Our DVD recorder just died and they don't make them anymore.

What is the cheapest over the air DVR that doesn't require a subscription?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Which country?

In the UK I have a Humax FVP-5000T, 1TB, which is about as good as non-subscription boxes get, as far as I can tell. It's a bit slow to respond sometimes, I think they cheaped out on the CPU/SoC (whichever it uses), but otherwise it's pretty awesome, has a good and good-looking UI, supports HD and most streaming services (although not Amazon Prime but I use my Xbox for those anyway), records up to four channels at once while watching a fifth, has an optical audio out, all that sort of stuff, and as mentioned it's subscription-free, just using over-the-air Freeview channels (of which there are more than enough for me).

So YMMV depending on where you are, obviously, but in the UK that's an easy one to recommend.

Jazz on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'd recommend looking at Amazon's integrated solution if you have Fire TV devices.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    I'm in the US.

Thinking about the Amazon TV.

Would prefer one that doesn't require an internet connection. One more thing spying on me...

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The thing with modern DVRs is that you have two options - set top boxes tied to one TV, or server style DVRs that provide service over your network. Personally, I'm more disposed to the latter, as it becomes more convenient to consume your recordings where you want.

If you're not comfortable with Amazon, you can go with SiliconDust's HDHomeRun devices, which are more service agnostic. (I have one of their older tuners, and it works well for streaming TV to my computer, and it's possible to convert it to a DVR by providing it with network storage.) Or if you're really wanting to have full control, you can even roll your own with Plex - though this is not for beginners.

Be aware, all DVRs need to talk to the internet to get show guides and such.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum