As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Satisfactory] FPS Factorio

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    That looks like you're strip mining The Bionis.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    the worst part of that whole thing is the conveyor on the left. Why is it bent like that?!?

spool32 on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    the worst part of that whole thing is the conveyor on the left. Why is it bent like that?!?

It wasn't long enough to go in a straight line! And also I'm terrible.

SniperGuy wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

It wasn't long enough to go in a straight line! And also I'm terrible.

The way you do it is you stretch it out, mark the spot just before the max length, then build a ladder. Sight along the ladders to get good alignment and increase efficiency. :)

@SniperGuy

an older build

VUIfMKZ.png

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Stop, I can’t fall back into satisfactory. There isn’t enough time

also @SniperGuy I know that area - consider this: Put your space elevator at the top of that cliff! Surprisingly efficient and encourages verticality.

Eventually we made a 4-story tower with the space elevator on top in that area, v useful.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm ... done with the elevator on my save, but I still want to have it around because you can see it for miles... and I have so many beacons down that the compass is a bit swamped. It's nice to have a north star like reference point.

I'd never considered putting up on a tower... That would certainly get it out of my way. That thing is enormous.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    actually @SniperGuy and whoever else wants to join or drop by, Belasco and I are gonna do a couple hours or so of a new build on stream right now!

:):)

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Fuck, I think I might have to start laying some pipe tonight, I can't resist.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm forcing myself to wait until Update 3 comes to the EA version and not the experimental.

Apparently it's pretty stable, at least compared to some of the past experimental branches, so I'm doing it less for stability reasons, and more as a way to fool myself into putting off having it suck up my life again right now (particularly since stardew valley has been sucking it all up right now anyway).

But in defense of horribly jaggy belts; when I'm just getting started I do that too, and then when I'm somewhat established I will go through and relay everything on set foundations so everything is perfectly symmetrical.

I actually have a save with a massive island spanning sky factory...well, to be honest, the factory part hadn't really started; I have the whole foundation laid way up into the sky and everything set up to rebuild the massive factory I had in the grasslands, but right when I was getting ready to build it they updated the purple forest in the middle and now unremovable massive trees are clipping through everything and it just really put me off.

And now with the way fluids work, they seem to be making it perfectly clear they don't want players doing massive sky factories, unless the player is willing to do substantially more work getting fluids up that high.

Which, I guess, is fine. It makes sense that they don't want players to be able to completely negate the terrain and biomes themselves, that they're putting in a lot of work to look and feel cool. Though, with the scope of what factories end up being, some level of "fuck it, I'm covering everything with level foundations" is going to emerge no matter how hard they try to prevent sandboxes in the sky.

though, now that I'm thinking about it, I can just sacrifice having my factory in the literal center of the playmap, and just move it off to being over a biome that likely won't suddenly get skyscraper high trees that can't be cut down. :rotate:

AAaaanannnnyway, this game, even in EA is pretty fantastic and I absolutely don't recommend getting it if you have a family, a job, or any living things under your care. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

alright nerds, we're gonna go again!

So we're about 6 hrs in and we've got quite a lot done, if you'd like a tour drop into the chat :)

Okay water pipes are weird. :)

edited February 2020
    What tier does research go up to, now?

The original Satisfactory roadmap only listed the first two updates, so update 3 is stuff that wasn't promised out of the gate.

I was just debating in my brain whether or not they will start moving toward full release or stay in EA for more updates.

I guess there's technically still no "end game", but I don't think that's really needed anyway, as it isn't the sort of game that needs end-game goals (efficiency and organization is end-game enough, IMO).

I wonder if a potential update 4 could just be implementing a more cohesive narrative, and add in more "extras" that don't fundamentally change the nature of the systems, but give players something extra to do; seems like the ticket thingy is leaning in that direction. And finishing touches on the biomes and such.

What I'm specifically wondering is whether or not the fairly substantial balance changes with this update might be closer to "finalized".

Obviously we don't know the answer to that, and I doubt Coffee Stain knows it either, really. Kind of, I'm also holding onto a pretty unlikely hope that they will in the end add blueprints to the game, despite them being adamant they will not. They were also pretty against transport tubes...and...

Oooh man, you know what I'd kill for, given the studio history? A direct tie in with Sanctum. A TD expansion or something. That'd be rad.

Aaaanyway, hey, does anyone know if the output of splitters is based on the speed of attached conveyors, or if it is just based on how many conveyors you have attached? For example, if I have a 240 conveyor going on and 3 240's coming out, it should be 80/80/80; right? But what if I have a 240 going in, one 60 going out and two 120's? Will it output to the extra two the difference? So 60/90/90? (or if I had two 60's and a 240, would it be 60/60/120?) Or is the speed of output simply a 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 factor, and even if one is limited to 60, the other two would be 80 no matter what?

The Dude With Herpes on

So I streamed about 3.5 hours of this last night and man I'm enjoying it.

It seems like for Iron you can make 1 Miner split into 3 smelters, which each split into 2 constructors, one making iron rods, one making iron plates. That seems to be at maximum efficiency as far as I can tell? I just unlocked faster conveyor belts so I'm gonna need to get assemblers up soon to start making me reinforced iron plates ASAP. The issue I'm having with the Desert so far is that the dunes make building a level factory tricky, so I started on top of a dune and I'm pretty sure eventually I'm going to coat the entire desert in a giant floating flat platform.

Also fuck those spiders they come out of nowhere and are terrifying.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

It seems like for Iron you can make 1 Miner split into 3 smelters, which each split into 2 constructors, one making iron rods, one making iron plates. That seems to be at maximum efficiency as far as I can tell? I just unlocked faster conveyor belts so I'm gonna need to get assemblers up soon to start making me reinforced iron plates ASAP. The issue I'm having with the Desert so far is that the dunes make building a level factory tricky, so I started on top of a dune and I'm pretty sure eventually I'm going to coat the entire desert in a giant floating flat platform.

The ratio is going to depend on the richness of the ore being mined! Impure deposits will give you 30/min, normal 60, and pure 120. A base smelter is 30/min, so you can support 1,2, or 4 depending on the richness of your mining deposit.

Fiatil wrote: »

The ratio is going to depend on the richness of the ore being mined! Impure deposits will give you 30/min, normal 60, and pure 120. A base smelter is 30/min, so you can support 1,2, or 4 depending on the richness of your mining deposit.

...shit, I have to check my deposits.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Because checking what type it is can be a pain, just look at the normal production rate of your miner. the 30,60,120 is the base rates for mk1 miners.

This game is literally crack.

I have a coal plant fired up; I manufactured a bridge/ramp (huge pain in the ass) down to this lake to get access to the coal there. Took about 3-4 iterations to get the truck pathing right. Note to the wise; the AI for the wagon does not handle turns down ramps very well, and try to stick with the mid sized ramp (I think it's 1:4?) for vertical clearances. The large ramps limits the speed of the vehicle to 7 hm/hr (very slow).

I redid my copper/limestone units so now I should never run out of copper wire, cables, or cement.
    The iron production areas are still very much the random ensemble from the start of the game, and I am beginning to redesign part of it with the goal of making it a devoted moving parts factory (the gears/motors/engine etc.) The rest of the unit is currently devoted to mass producing hardened steel plates for mk 2 production; It is very slow, and the bottleneck seems to be the physical limitation of how many screws/min can be delivered to the 2 part-manufacturer.

Our setup right now:

Alternate Screws recipe let us tear down the 3 smelter -> 3 rod constructor -> 3 screw constructor build. Now a single normal miner overclocked to 120/m is feeding 4 smelter -> 8 constructor and they're split between screws and rods. We're up to 3 coal plants now, and got an alternate coal recipe that should cut down the volume by a lot. We're starting the extremely long haul from pure coal back to our base in order to begin steel production.

Our assembler area is still a mess, basically thrown down to service the space elevator :)

We're slowly weaning ourselves off biomass - three coal plants, soon to be 5 probably, and we'll be done with it.

The AWESOME shop is great :) It's really nice to have a place to pour excess materials, and something useful coming out of it. I like how they split the MAM and the hub upgrades too, that's a good change.

Spool, want me to play with whichever group you have together? I'd be just fine continuing my little pet project, but it seems as though you might need another hand?

FYI I already got the space elevator supplies sent for tier 5*6, but I am not quite ready to move on to oil/coal generation; plenty more optimization to be done and I'm damned sure that I need to have more steel plates manufactured than what I have set up right now. (Seriously, cannot get enough hardened steel plates; need them for everything).

How do you get the alternate screws recipe? That and the conveyor belt are my limiting factors right now.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Factorio and Subnautica are the only crafting games I can tolerate. Removing all that pesky survival and toil and getting right to the adventure and fun toys.

This game looks like it could provide a similar vibe.

Have you tried Astroneer? It's a super chill game and the only survival elements are making sure you have air (either through a tether line or by carrying items that give it to you) and avoiding hostile plants.

Kruite wrote: »
    Spool, want me to play with whichever group you have together? I'd be just fine continuing my little pet project, but it seems as though you might need another hand?

FYI I already got the space elevator supplies sent for tier 5*6, but I am not quite ready to move on to oil/coal generation; plenty more optimization to be done and I'm damned sure that I need to have more steel plates manufactured than what I have set up right now. (Seriously, cannot get enough hardened steel plates; need them for everything).

How do you get the alternate screws recipe? That and the conveyor belt are my limiting factors right now.

Gotta find some crashed ships and then luck out with what you get in the HDs you analyze. Alternate screws is 5 ingot -> 20 screws. we've found three ships relatively close to the desert start so far!

Starting area has been reworked to use 3 of my 4 iron nodes (impure) to mass produce hardened steel plates at a rate of 15 per min (everything is producing at 100%)

Took a long time to track it down, but I had a few areas with m1k movement trays and one spot that was a merger when it should have been a splitter (it effectively blocked flow from 1/4 screw manufacturers)

The cement works is running at 100%...I believe

The 4th node is making rotors, but not at 100% efficiency; I would have to overclock and add a second screw producer (I think) to get that running 100% but I don't think it's needed; it's doing what I want. Needing to have splitter/mergers at grade is really killing space.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    FYI, the new pieces like windows and wall attached power and pyriamidal corners... the recipes all seem to only be available in the new store.

And not knowing this I blew many hundreds of tickets on.... beacons. I was tired of crafting them one at a time over and over, so I bought over 200.

And now I seriously regret it! Tickets seems to get exponentially more expensive as you keep getting more.. it takes forever to earn one now.

But I'm probably going to start over anyway when the update goes live, so I'm not too upset about it. It is just something to keep in mind, if you didn't already know.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Where do you have access to the store?

To my dismay, I guess those buildings are only available to the experimental version? Do I need to sign up for it?

Spent last night building a steel facility; 2 iron smelters (50% overclock on impure nodes :( ) , whatever flow my truck station can provide, 4 foundries supplying 5 constructors (2 making steel pipe, 3 making steel beams), with the top floor being 3 assemblers making encased steel beams.

Did not get to routing the steel pipe over to storage/copper wire area so that they can be used to develop motors, and the supply & distribution of coal caused power outages; I ultimately will have to go near the coal supply and start redoing the power plant (the plant is located on site and is a mess; not enough space to provide the power needed so I will just rebuild a larger one down in the valley)

I ended my session finally going out to explore; and I died by accidently falling off a cliff into the abyss (tried to stop, the truck has terrible brakes); I lost 1 power core :(

I did succeed in finding sulfur, quartz, and whatever the gold > special wire material is. I finally have a map! and I can start developing computer technology! and something hilarious happened!
    I parked my travel truck near the truck unload station but outside the square. The auto truck comes down the hill like a bat out of hell, and must have collided with it. I come back from exploring to find that the coal plants are choked with cement bags, eventually browning out the whole plant. Where is truck B... must have unloaded some of the cement it was carrying. I clear the lines and more cement is coming out. Where the hell is the truck? I don't see it in the station...map says it is here. I look up. Truck A collided with Truck B with enough speed to launch it in the air and embed it into the truck stations loading arm. Feeding the station with ~ 24 stacks of cement. That was fun to clear out.

edited February 2020
    Yeh right now I'm assuming everyone is on experimental. It's a distinct game as far as the EGS is concerned, which is unfortunate...

I started using the windows and they are nice. Finally some natural light in my factories! No more will iron plates be mass produced in a dark cave, no! Instead, they will come into existence bathed in sunlight!

Also wall power plugs, especially the two sided ones, make things a lot cleaner. I never liked having wires just clip through stuff so I had these awkward gate pieces everywhere just to let power in. That whole idea is now obsolete.

edit: I just think of Craterium as being another name for Iridium. Because it comes from a crater? A meteorite crater? Get it? :razz:

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    edited February 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBE1Xl94s9o

TL;DR

Update 3 may be coming out of experimental in the next week or two
    EGS exclusivity dies on March 19th, but the Steam version won't be ready for that date, or any March date for that matter. (Sadface)
    Probably won't be giving out free Steam copies to EGS users.
    They want crossplay between Steam and Epic versions, but can't guarantee it at this time.
    Save files will be cross compatible between Steam and EGS. Or at least they should.
    Dedicated servers are still in development, don't expect them to magically fix all multiplayer issues.

Undead Scottsman on
    Guhhh yeah lack of crossplay is going to completely kill it for me. I was worried about that. Thanks for getting me to buy your game on a completely shitty storefront by making it a year long exclusive, and then not letting me play with all of the people who waited in multiplayer. I hope they can find a way to get it in!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Lack of crossplay between a PC game from two different stores is something I can scarcely wrap my head around and is exactly the kind of bullshit I never wanted to see in PC gaming.

Hell, I find there is little excuse for it on the console front nowadays either.

Hopefully they get it in, but I hate that it is something that is up in the air.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Yeah, it's completely ridiculous. Ok fine, take the moneyhats from Epic as an indie developer -- I get it, it's not easy out there. I would prefer it on Steam but hard for me to tell someone else to turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars. But when you start punishing consumers by splitting the multiplayer base...guh. I can't convince any of my friends to buy this on EGS to play with me -- they would totally buy it on Steam to play it with me. The odds of me convincing them to buy it on EGS once it's out on Steam are 0%, and I shouldn't have to buy it again to play with other PC gamers.

edited February 2020
    They're not indie. They're owned by THQ.

Also, they donn't want to segregate Epic and Steam players, they just can't guarentee they'll be able to pull it off at this time.

Undead Scottsman on
    Automating Heavy Metal Frames is ridiculous (that is all).

I have a Heavy Metal Frame factory done; I have an alternate recipe that produces more per minute without the extra screws in the final step (thank god). So....2.845 per minute? I screwed up and had 2 heavy plate production lines missing from my reinforced heavy frames step (so 2 trains running at 66%).. luckily I made plenty of space on the second floor to add them and I route them into the produce line mergers along the top of the ceiling.

I have plenty of oil production so I made 450 MW burners from some of the extra oil available (I guess 1-50 MW Refinery producing fuel can feed 3 150 MW Fuel Burners).
    With said extra power I could finish the HMF factory with no worries and added a 2nd circuit board production line to the computer factory (needs 18.25 per minute?, it's now getting 20 per minute. I don't care that it's not 100% these final production numbers are real weird).

So now I wait; the main base has 2 industrial storage containers with more motors than I could realistically need, 3 regular containers + 1 industrial for Encased Steel beams (so huzzah for whenever I need to upgrade to tier 4 lines). I cut off those assembly feeds to mass produce steel beams, because I'd rather upgrade things to tier 3 if I could help it.

I'm starting to see the complaint of the game; there is no "real goal" except to get to the next tier. Just more crunching numbers and laying down cement. At one point do you look at what you've done in game and decided "yea I think I'm done."

edited February 2020
    I'm assuming once they finish the tiers, there will be some kind of "win condition" similar to something like Civ. And also I fully expect you can just keep going after that if you want... aimless expansion is its own reward.

They could also add a kind of New Game + where enemies are more difficult and resources are more scarce, but you can start with everything unlocked? That would be cool.

EDIT: Just so you know, in experimental you can escape a hypertube early by saving while you are in the tube and then reloading. So it can be hard to get out in a very specific place, but you can get out. You also come out unarmed, which is kind of interesting because I haven't seen these animations since I started playing the game.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    Despite my intent to wait till update 3 was off experimental, I've put in a god awful amount of time the past couple of weeks.

I think my ultimate conclusion now that I've worked my way again from scratch through tier 7, is I don't really care for what the shift to liquids had changed, and adding byproducts to that has made build setups that were already super complex and damn near required external resources to plan, has tipped the balance from being complex and satisfying (tee hee) to being overwhelming and frustrating. It is made worse by some vitally important recipes (to reduce the overwhelming complexity of some builds) being locked behind random acquisition on hard drive research. Sure, no alternates are ever required, but even beyond issues of efficiency, the added complexity of not having some of them is too much. I was sitting down to plan a turbo motor factory last night, and being fully aware of the fact that it is currently the highest tier, most complex thing you can make, I quickly got frustrated trying to manually track everything that needs to be made prior, to be sure production of prior resources were keeping up with the needs of each step (in quantity and production speed) so nothing is sitting around waiting for anything else AND try to minimize overclocking as much as possible, it was too much when suddenly I was also dealing with liquids that all have byproducts, that can't all be out into good use in the production without further absurd complexity...

What I concluded was that I need a tool to possibly be able to organize these numbers, and the fact that none of the calculation websites have fully updated the balance changes with the update (let alone accounted for liquids and byproducts) made my options, make my own, or do it manually which would take a full time job worth of hours to do, on paper; and one even minor mistake anywhere along the way would cascade into everything being broken.

I just think it's a step too far right now, and Wade's into "this isn't fun, this is now a job" territory, and Tier 8 isn't even in the game. :rotate:

Still, the update had a lot of good additions too, and I think the awesome shop is a good idea for providing production goals that doesn't require further complexity additions to the game on the production side. Even it had a limit thought, after everything is bought, players will keep amassing tickets, and future additions to the shop will either be trivially bought by long time players, or will be so impossibly expensive as to put off new players, or new factory maps.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still a lot of fun, and I'd still highly recommend it to people that are into the type of game. I just think they need to reign in the complexity right now, especially when there is at least one more tier of research that isn't even implemented.

My accursed mouse broke; the mouse wheel no longer registers input and spins freely. This was not a cheap mouse.

This game is almost impossible to play without a mouse wheel; it is critical for establishing orderly right-angled conveyor belts and pipelines.

I'm displeased.

Test related to forum wonkery.

How 'bout them Satisfactories? I'm a little glad the stream version isn't gonna be out this month because like every game ever is coming out.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yupppp, me, too.

Not sure what happened, but I loaded up my game to experimental to play around with pipes. I got about half my coal power back online and now that save game is missing after an update. Most recent save is my plant before experimental. Not sure if I want to redo all of that.