As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    That video is one reason why over here we tend to build up the center of roundabouts. I’m talking a brick wall at least 2 feet tall, substantial landscaping inside the circle. One i know of just has a 6 foot high mound of dirt inside a brick wall. It’s not pretty but nobody is launching off of it.

The other thing we've started doing is to introduce artificial curves into the approach, to force a slowdown.

The problem with building up the center is it blocks your line of sight.

Several of the ones here have giant sculptures and trees in the center, really annoying.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    All you need to see is the traffic approaching you within the roundabout so you know when you can go

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2020
    I am awake and I consider this to be a huge mistake.

edit: meant to post this in chat but I guess this'll go right eventually.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The problem with building up the center is it blocks your line of sight.

Several of the ones here have giant sculptures and trees in the center, really annoying.

The point of building up the centre is that it blocks the line of sight, hopefully people will slow down if they can't see that they can just blast straight through.

Mr.Wangtang on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also technically that is just a 4 way intersection with a traffic control circle (meant to just slow down traffic) and not a true roundabout. The core concept still holds though. We have a big two lane roundabout here and it's awesome, and over the last 10 years I've only seen a couple people going around it backwards. It has a space about a lane wide of brick so big trucks can navigate it, but then the middle is some trees and landscaping that is probably 3 feet above the level of the road. It's real nice looking.

This was what it was like when it was built, everything's grown up in the last 10 years or so.

ParkwayRoundabout.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Pretty great example of why roundabouts are about a thousand times better than four-way intersections. Given that the driver didn't even notice the roundabout, they would've blasted through stop signs at max speeds until they inevitably hit another car and injured/killed somebody. Instead, the roundabout ate up most of the crash energy and there was minor damage to other parked vehicles, and even the driver was unharmed.

Really, the roundabout should've been even more built-up to do more to stop a stupid driver, but I guess the builders did not reasonably expect somebody flying through a neighborhood at a hundred MPH.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, I'm sure the owner of that parked car will disagree after getting the assessment on the damage that boulder did.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Pretty great example of why roundabouts are about a thousand times better than four-way intersections. Given that the driver didn't even notice the roundabout, they would've blasted through stop signs at max speeds until they inevitably hit another car and injured/killed somebody. Instead, the roundabout ate up most of the crash energy and there was minor damage to other parked vehicles, and even the driver was unharmed.

Really, the roundabout should've been even more built-up to do more to stop a stupid driver, but I guess the builders did not reasonably expect somebody flying through a neighborhood at a hundred MPH.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, I'm sure the owner of that parked car will disagree after getting the assessment on the damage that boulder did.

That is all going to the flying cars insurance who will probably be throwing in a rental and a you can't talk to a lawyer anymore check.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    knitdan wrote: »
    All you need to see is the traffic approaching you within the roundabout so you know when you can go

It's like taking a blind corner for several seconds. I like to see more than 3 meters ahead of me when I'm driving.

The one by the Parnell library also gets backed up, and I basically can't see if it's clear before heading around which means stopping in the traffic circle.

Blocking line of sight is bad and makes driving more dangerous.

edit: like there's only 3 or so traffic circles that do that. Every other one is low enough to see over so you can see if all the roads are clear and what's ahead of you.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Cake gone wrong, or cake gone right?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    A little of column A, a little from column B.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I've had nightmares less disturbng than that video. In fact I've had nightmares exactly like that video.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm assuming there's a lot of fondant involved, so clearly gone wrong in terms of edibility.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    *cuts the apple*

Okay that was pretty good.

*cuts the hand and arm*

Kinda creepy but still neat!

*cuts the glass of water*

STOP.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    *cuts the apple*

Okay that was pretty good.

*cuts the hand and arm*

Kinda creepy but still neat!

*cuts the glass of water*

STOP.

Next season of His Dark Materials gon be cray cray

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I can't help but imagine cake that taste like the thing it looks like. The pancake cake is ok, but I can't even with that salad cake.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I can't help but imagine cake that taste like the thing it looks like. The pancake cake is ok, but I can't even with that salad cake.

What? No. You want salad that tastes like cake.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Well if anyone needs me after that video i will be sobbing into the void cause that's nightmarish.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    That feels like a Stand power from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. "Anything cut by my Stand's knife is actually cake."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    At my friend's birthday party a few years back, his girlfriend got him one of those crazy detailed cakes. The fondant they use to get that control and detail tastes like garbage and ruins the cake.

Just give me a regular cake, plz.

EDIT: Which isn't to say that the artistry isn't incredible.

But I would rather look at one of those cakes than eat it, which is crazypants to actually say and yet here we are.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    At my friend's birthday party a few years back, his girlfriend got him one of those crazy detailed cakes. The fondant they use to get that control and detail tastes like garbage and ruins the cake.

But I would rather look at one of those cakes than eat it, which is crazypants to actually say and yet here we are.

Those cakes are made for looking, not eating. If you want to have a crazy detailed cake and you want a good cake to eat, buy two cakes.

Better yet, ditch the eating cake and get some pie.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Those cakes are made for looking, not eating. If you want to have a crazy detailed cake and you want a good cake to eat, buy two cakes.

There are few situations in which pie is not the superior choice.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

And those are just called cobblers anyhow. Still pie. Still excellent.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Counterpoint: tres leche cake.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Mediocre cake > mediocre pie
    Excellent pie >>> excellent cake

Unless it's pumpkin.

Mediocre pumpkin pie = excellent pumpkin pie

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If it's made by Hostess or similar, doesn't matter if it says "fruit pie" or "cupcake" in the name. Trash tier pastries are their own thing and have no place in the cake vs pie debate

Also cheesecake has a crust. It is a pie. Don't @ me with your silly edge cases, cake people. Pie 4evar

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Unless it's pumpkin.

Mediocre cake > mediocre pumpkin pie = Excellent pumpkin pie >>> excellent cake

Seems legit

Fry on
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Unless it's pumpkin.

Seems legit

Your avatar adds much to this post.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Unless it's pumpkin.

Seems legit

It's not an LTI system!

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    If it's made by Hostess or similar, doesn't matter if it says "fruit pie" or "cupcake" in the name. Trash tier pastries are their own thing and have no place in the cake vs pie debate

Also cheesecake has a crust. It is a pie. Don't @ me with your silly edge cases, cake people. Pie 4evar

Mediocre pastries are a crime against god and man and yet they remain distressingly common. There are people who lives their entire lives never knowing what a croissant is actually supposed to taste like.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Unless it's pumpkin.

Seems legit

It's not an LTI system!

We must also consider the possibility that pumpkin pies are not actually pies, but are instead a natural state of pumpkin.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Mediocre pastries are a crime against god and man and yet they remain distressingly common. There are people who lives their entire lives never knowing what a croissant is actually supposed to taste like.

I can't hand make a croissant to save my life, but a couple of Jewish friends taught me their grandma's Challah recipe and it always gets rave reviews when I bake it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

I bought and consumed a croissant once. At least I think I did, I'm not completely sure that it wasn't an elaborate hologram.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Throw all pumpkin pie in the trash

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my mouth is the trash can

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Throw all pumpkin pie in the trash

How dare you

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Pecan pie is the only pie worth a damn.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    There's no gone right in any of these terrible pie opinions.

Just, burn it all down.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    my mouth is the trash can

I've watched this anime.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I would feel so betrayed if a tasty stack of pancakes turned out to be some fondant covered cake thing.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't see the point in those cakes if they taste like shit. Why bother making a cake and not just sculpting a lump of fondant.

This discussion has been closed.