As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    None of the Bond themes have been anything I'd be caught dead willingly listening to outside of the context of the credits.

I like the Poets of the Fall version of "You Know My Name"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcjZZIRRBNA

Poets of the Fall is pretty damn awesome anyway. Late Goodbye, from Max Payne, will always be one of my favorite video game songs. Carnival of Rust is a pretty great album.

I literally have that album playing in my car.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    No I think that wasn't a typo we should appreciate Redtide and his lifestyle.

It has better not be a typo. If that post gets edited, I will feel personally kinkshamed.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Big autocorrect strikes again

Coke curse you all

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fuck me Shazam is a great movie.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Color out of Space was a very enjoyable sci-fi horror bmovie

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I just came out of Sonic the Hedgehog. The movie was fine! I feel like Sonic's characterization was off, more hyperactive lonely kid than the chill free spirit he's usually portrayed as, but it was okay overall.

Why do people keep talking about that Foo Fighters album

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    View to a Kill is the best Bond song, fight me.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    AND ALL WE NEEEEEEEEEED
    IS A VIIIIEEEEEEEEW
    TO A KIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Best Bond song is whatever the Sam Smith one is wasn’t that amazing I bet it was universally loved

I don’t even remember the Timothy Dalton theme songs.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Still jealous of all these people seeing Color Out of Space. At least it comes out on blu-ray I think this month.

For Valentine's day Mrs. Sloth and I watched My Valentine, part of that weird effort on the part of hulu to make a horror movie for seemingly any occasion (which, for the record, I support).

It was fine? At first it kind of seemed like it was a bad streaming decision. I actually liked it the longer it went on, though. By the climax, I was on board... and then a twist happens. The ending was rough. It felt almost like a producer decision, like someone was like "hey, no, y'all need a twist, go back and start reshoots. Also two more music videos before end credits, please" and the end result is a sloppy ending that feels like it sort of betrays part of the message of the movie while also introducing logical problems with the plot.

I feel like a pretty good movie with a bad ending is so much worse than a movie that's just bad throughout. In fairness this one was already kind of teetering on the edge, elevated by what I think were some fun perfromances, and the end just tipped it over.

BloodySloth on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    The song itself is alright but doesn't really have any of the sonic hallmarks that make Billie Eilish a unique and interesting artist, IMO. I do miss the more upbeat ones like "Live and Let Die".

I agree with this sentiment but also really like SadBond, so I’m ok with the slow songs that generates.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    I don’t even remember the Timothy Dalton theme songs.

The Living Daylights is an excellent track.

Bogart on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Is there a good resource for analyses of movies? I just watched Lady Bird and liked it, and want to read a review, but it seems like all movie reviews are aimed at people who haven't seen it yet.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    None of the Bond themes have been anything I'd be caught dead willingly listening to outside of the context of the credits.

I have both Goldfinger and Goldeneye in my library.
    and, of course, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. That's some good John Barry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN8GcRGNWe4

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I finally sat down to watch Shazam and want to express that the movie is excellent. Tons of effort put in to every character. I love it.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Is there a good resource for analyses of movies? I just watched Lady Bird and liked it, and want to read a review, but it seems like all movie reviews are aimed at people who haven't seen it yet.

Most big movies will have a release thread on the movies subreddit. I've looked those up on occasion to see what people thought of a particular movie.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Saw Sonic with mini-dead.

Short version: It is a formulaic kids movie, yes, but a well-done formulaic kids movie, and I appreciated it for that!

Deets:

The main character is Sonic! Not Jim Carrey featuring cute blue merchandise. This is good.

Jim Carrey plays a cartoon villain and is the best in the biz at doing that. In some of his movies, that doesn’t work, but here, it does, because this is a cartoon, so it’s ok!

They actually successfully pull off pathos for a cartoon character. This should be applauded.

They blatantly rip-off a certain scene from another recent movie that featured a character with super-speed, but I couldn’t really blame them for doing so because hey, it’s a great way to depict super-speed!

Bonus level!! Reactions from a six year old! (Plot spoilers)
    - I love Sonic, he’s nice
    - Is that man the bad guy? Why? He looks nice and he’s silly! Oh wait no, he’s mean.
    - Robotnik [paraphrased]: My robots are the most advanced technology in the world!!
    - Mini-dead [out loud and with great comedic timing]: and he has a lot of them!
    - Mini-dead: “why is everyone frozen?” Me: quick explanation of relative perception relating to individuals with super-speed
    - Mini-dead literally ROFLed at the scene where Sonic poofs up after drying off, then again at “did that robot just have a baby?”
    - Mini dead putting on a brave face at scene where Sonic gets blown up: “I know Sonic’s not really dead daddy, I’ll be brave”
    - Oooh, daddy! Sonic is powering up!
    - Then, just as credits start: “daddy? How did the dog get in the attic?” (Lol! Valid question!)
    - Finally, post-credit scene:
    - Her: Daddy! That fox has two tails!
    - Me: Well, that is his name, after all.
    - Her: What is?
    - Me: Tails!
    - Her: Of course!!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I've always been fond of Garbage's World Is Not Enough

A View to a Kill is 80's perfection.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I am not invested enough in all of this to research further, but when reading a bit into past allegations I recall coming across the notion that Kirk Douglas had contacted the PD that was local for Natalie Wood's death to try to cut off any suspicion that he might be the Kirk in question from the note that was found. Is this something that has been confirmed outside of the supposed RDJ accusations? Because if so, I don't give a good god damn about the provenance of some rumours, if Kirk actually came forward decades ago to try to clear his name prior to having been considered as a suspect, that is shady as all hell.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm not seeing where it's shady to try to clear your name as early as possible. Also, do you have a source?

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Let's get real. Live and Let Die is the Bond track that has real musical quality outside of being a theme song. People listen to Goldfinger because it is goofy as fuck, not because it is a good song. Goldfinger very much succeeds as a theme song but not as a song.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Let's get real. Live and Let Die is the Bond track that has real musical quality outside of being a theme song. People listen to Goldfinger because it is goofy as fuck, not because it is a good song. Goldfinger very much succeeds as a theme song but not as a song.

Ehh Thunderball is also pretty good. If only for Tom Jones almost passing out.

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Sort of a halfway-point post about 1952:

So the list of films I work from when going back and watching a bunch of stuff from a given year comes from a lot of different places: books, critics, lists, other films in the filmography of a director I like, etc. One thing I had waffled on paying very much attention to are awards, but rather than try to dismiss them as political or biased (they're not that much more political or biased than the ways I've heard of any other film in a given year), I've instead pared them down to what I think are the four most prestigious awards a feature film could win: the Best Picture Oscar, the Cannes Film Festival's Palme D'Or, the Berlin Film Festival's Golden Bear, and the Venice Film Festival's Golden Lion. I suppose some argument could be made for certain festivals being more important than others at a given point in time, but Cannes, Berlin, and Venice are the most enduring and prestigious.

1952 is the first year in which all four awards were singularly given out (in 1951 Berlin awarded multiple films the Golden Bear separated by genre), so I figured it might be a fun post to examine each of the winners of these awards and pick a best overall! The award winners were:

Best Picture: The Greatest Show on Earth
    Palme D'Or: SPLIT: The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice and Two Cents Worth of Hope
    Golden Lion: Forbidden Games
    Golden Bear: One Summer of Happiness

Thoughts:
    Let's start with Cecil B. Demille's bloated, empty Ringling Bros. & Barnum and Bailey extravaganza, The Greatest Show on Earth. The Oscars have awarded a number of bad films Best Picture, but there aren't that many that seem so disinterested in actually telling a story as this one. Part filmed circus part hokey backstage melodrama, I really can't find much to appreciate in this one. Maybe if you're into the circus (are people still into the circus?), you can find something to like, but it is almost unanimously considered one of the worst 3 or so films to win the prize and that's saying something.

The Tragedy of Othello is a gorgeous, asymmetrical adaptation of Shakespeare's tragedy. Welles' visual powers are on full display here with incredible use of architecture, blocking, and cinematography. Shot over the course of several years across Italy and Morocco, it has a loose, geographically unspecific feel to it that, paired with the visual grandeur, gives it a cool mythical feeling that I like. The sound work is distracting, as is some of the editing (troubled production), and I wasn't crazy about the casting: no one on screen is as strong as Welles, and he's playing Othello himself, which might be another conversation altogether.

The other Palme D'Or winner, Two Cents Worth of Hope is a piece of pink neorealism, meaning Italian neorealism except with a lighter, more hopeful touch. It's about a soldier returning to Naples and struggling to make money while courting a woman. Characters yell more than they talk; all the grandiosity and performative argumentation someone might expect to see in an Italian film is on display here, and I found it really irritating. It's like an ancestor of commedia all-italiana without being very satirical. I'm sure at the time it felt fresh, but I don't think it's bringing anything new to the table in form or subject---just attitude.

Forbidden Games is a strong, emotional World War II drama about a young girl who's orphaned and becomes fixated on her failure to grasp death as a concept. She befriends a boy a little older than her, and together they become fixated on the symbols of death, particularly burials and crosses. Some parts are probably a little too brutal both for audience enjoyment and the sake of believability (like the opening; not sure if her dog wasn't killed for the making of the film), but it tells its story with conviction. It's a bit of a minor classic.

One Summer of Happiness, which I mentioned in my 1951 write-up, (if only to bring up how Bergman's Summer Interlude is a much better film) is a Swedish melodrama about a pair of young lovers stuck in a religious rural community. It has some nice Swedish countryside and it shows boobs, which I imagine were novel at the time, but the plot is pretty standard and its weepy ending felt forced. Of all these films, this one feels the most ordinary.

So the best film of the bunch is definitely between Othello and Forbidden Games, and though I usually tend to go for more fiercely creative films, I think Othello has some pretty evident shortcomings, and it's based on one of Shakespeare's least interesting tragedies in my opinion. Forbidden Games, though short of greatness, is the winner.

Scorecard:
    Venice: 1
    Oscars: 0
    Cannes: 0
    Berlin: 0

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I am not invested enough in all of this to research further, but when reading a bit into past allegations I recall coming across the notion that Kirk Douglas had contacted the PD that was local for Natalie Wood's death to try to cut off any suspicion that he might be the Kirk in question from the note that was found. Is this something that has been confirmed outside of the supposed RDJ accusations? Because if so, I don't give a good god damn about the provenance of some rumours, if Kirk actually came forward decades ago to try to clear his name prior to having been considered as a suspect, that is shady as all hell.

That is probably bunk considering Natalie Woods drowned accidentally. There was no letter, Kirk Douglas wasnt on the boat, or even tangentially involved in anyway.

More likely candidates for the rape are Jack Palance, Paul Neuman, John Wayne, John Ford, James Dean, Rock Hudson, or Tab Hunter. As all of those “older big stars”* worked with Natalie around the time of the incident

*neuman wasnt a big star at the time and this list is incomplete as who would be considered a star changes are we forget big stars who did not have as much longevity.

wbBv3fj.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Which was the one where Denise Richards was a nuclear physicist named Christmas?

That was some peak Bond.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Which was the one where Denise Richards was a nuclear physicist named Christmas?

That was some peak Bond.

I somehow missed that one in theatres, saw it on DVD and then was enough of a brain genius to actually go see Die Another Day in theaters.

It's like I ate a live rattlesnake by starting at the tail.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Her being called Christmas led to two excellent cheesetastic puns so the name was fine. She was, um, unconvincing as a nuclear physicist, though.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure she was named Christmas solely because the writers thought up that end of the movie pun and didn't want to get rid of it.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Denise Richards' performance and character name do have this unfortunate tendency to overshadow Sophie Marceau's delightful turn in that movie, though.

(Spoiler for 21 year old movie)
    Understated early on, but just the right level of scenery-chewing OTT-ness after the (first) big reveal. She steals scenes effortlessly.

I like that movie more than most admit to, and she is a very, very big part of why.

Has she been bad in anything she was in?

wbBv3fj.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There is a bit where Robert Carlyle points while going up in an elevator (being a bit vague) that is a fantastic bit of cartoon villainy, honestly there's a lot to like in The World is Not Enough

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure she was named Christmas solely because the writers thought up that end of the movie pun and didn't want to get rid of it.

It does set up "I don't know any Doctor jokes" pretty well.

The brosnin bonds get a short shrift. The world is not enough is a fine movie and entirely too prescient. Die another day was bad though

wbBv3fj.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The brosnin bonds get a short shrift. The world is not enough is a fine movie and entirely too prescient. Die another day was bad though

The problem is Goldeneye is clearly the best of them, even if they do have charm.

Going back i realize that i did not mean “the world is not enough” but meant “tomorrow never dies”. The world is not enough would be good if they had cast someone else as jones

wbBv3fj.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The problem is Goldeneye is clearly the best of them, even if they do have charm.

Much like Bond, my other car is a T-55 main battle tank.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

That is probably bunk considering Natalie Woods drowned accidentally. There was no letter, Kirk Douglas wasnt on the boat, or even tangentially involved in anyway.

More likely candidates for the rape are Jack Palance, Paul Neuman, John Wayne, John Ford, James Dean, Rock Hudson, or Tab Hunter. As all of those “older big stars”* worked with Natalie around the time of the incident

*neuman wasnt a big star at the time and this list is incomplete as who would be considered a star changes are we forget big stars who did not have as much longevity.

Isn't Rock Hudson off the list of suspects? I mean I don't think it could be Rock.

This discussion has been closed.