As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm making both of the King Arthur recipes - have the starter for the baguette and the dough for the crusty bread mixed and rising today, baking tomorrow/monday

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Wah, shaping baguettes is hard. The rolling part particularly! Maybe my table was at the wrong height.. but I didn't feel like I could roll it very effectively. Then again, it could be because I didn't cinch it good enough.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    edited February 2020
    Phew, OK, this was hard. I think I rolled them out too long, and in general was bad with the shaping, which resulted in low oven spring. Also I probably overproofed it. The good news is that it still tastes good, if a bit dense! Next time I'll try the non SD version.

00mtdajk2nbw.png
    sugrz9cn29fr.png

kykugkqx9a0n.png

Tomorrow I'm making my usual sourdough loaves, but that's a usual weekly thing. I'm tinkering with the proofing time there too.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Not much of an ear this time, but it springed OK! I need to buy more razors.

z9b24f905893.png

w2fzj1a2vp78.png

Since bouillabaisse has some more complex ingredients (and steps), I've posted some alternate fish soups/stews. Please suggest others too! :D

signature.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Protip: just make sure to serve your bouillabaisse nice and hot. If you let it get cold, it turns into fishyssoise.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This week, I was unsuccessful at preparing my chosen dish. I was loaded up with work and stuff and decided to make something in the spirit of cook club that would still be fast: Socca! It's a fast, chickpea flour based flatbread that can cook in minutes (basically a pancake).

Unfortunately, the first batch I made too thick and so I got a ball of tasty semi-cooked dough, and the second batch I got close to right but probably undercooked it slightly or put it in a slightly too big pan.

5aTv6Tgh.jpg

Almost looks flippable, though!

JvwBYYoh.jpg

Sadly, no.

x7P5pHGh.jpg

Still, the semi-crispy remnants with a chard, onion, and feta topping turned out pretty good, so it's not all bad. It's just not really bread in any sense.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mmmm socca is delicious

I'm going to sit out this week as bouillabaisse is both a bit rich for my blood and also contains a large amount of ingredients I don't mich care for

maybe I'll make chutney to prepare for the following week!

It turned out very tasty, just not quite (flat)breadlike! More like a pancake scramble.

I ate an engineer
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i picked up some frozen seafood for this weeks' cook. will go pick up fresh mussels this friday, as we'll be making this for Friday night dinner.

I'm gonna try and stick close to a bouillabaisse, but i can't promise.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Before baking, after baking, and sandwiches from last weeks baguettes, linked for large

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/395418108203892746/678797390970617866/20200214_121725.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/395418108203892746/678797392165732352/20200214_161606.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/395418108203892746/678797393118101514/20200214_180605.jpg

front one split during baking, but the other two came out good. Froze one for later, probably have it with the stew this week

Hellbore on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Tonight I combined last week's cook club theme with this week's, made both a fish stew and a crusty loaf. Didn't follow a recipe for the stew, just went with what I had in my pantry and freezer. Fish are cod and pollock, basically just sweat the veggies, added the tomatoes, stock, seasonings, and potatoes, then simmered the mix until the potatoes were just about done. Added the fish at that point and simmered for another ~10 minutes. The loaf is just flour, water, salt, and yeast (+ a pinch of sugar for the yeast to start with).

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    wk7v8pdidaa9.jpeg
    I made a no-knead beer bread recipe from chef John! It was very crusty and went well with some broccoli cheddar soup.

Very delayed, but I attempted Socca a couple more times and had a pretty great success!

E6dtgGih.jpg

Cheesy Socca!

I ate an engineer
    Oh wow Hellbore, those baguettes look FANTASTIC you shaped them so well

Jgeis great crumb on your bread too!

I've never tried a beer-y bread or chickpea bread but I approve of combining or having breads with cheese, oh yes <3 I gotta attempt that sometime soon

signature.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    got a fish stew planned.

but probably not until sunday.

Tonight is a neighbourhood picnic, tomorrow is baby's birthday party. so sunday it will have to be!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Cooking Club Week 6: Moqueca (fish stew)

7fxgw05.jpg

I didn't take a ton of pictures but that's because it was very simple. I did pour it over rice which you don't see in my gallery.
    https://imgur.com/a/Xse9xly

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Mmm! How did it taste? I'm probably going to make moqueca too.

signature.png
    I probably leaned a bit too heavy on the chili flakes but otherwise it was really good..don't skimp on the salt and pepper though

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm going to make a nice dairy-heavy chowder tomorrow, and I'm probably going to put skate in it and Too Much Old Bay because I live in Maryland and that sounds good.

Edit: Also probably fennel, although I'm not sure that'll poke through the flavor of the Old Bay the way I want. We'll see!

Peen on
    fennel and seafood?

I don't know about that

Well I don't know about you buddy, I'm going to need to see some credentials

Agent Xaquin: Food Police

crime: Licorice Fish or as we call it down at the station, Licorfish.

Look, some fennel added to the rest of your aromatics is a lovely thing and I'll not hear otherwise, and if that means I'm headed to the camps then I'll go with my head held high.

I've never used fennel before--and fennel seed....maybe?

I feel like we should do a clam chowder specific week but I'll put that a bit further into the future.

signature.png
    Whoa what, if you've never made a mix of heavily roasted and salted brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and chopped up fennel you haven't lived a full and complete life.

Hunh! I didn't know you could just roast it like that. I didn't know what I could do with it, really :redface:

Same with turnips and rutebegas--I've rarely/never used them. I guess I should pick some up next time I'm at the grocery!

signature.png
    Turnips are really lovely too, a 50/50 potato and turnip mash is a wonderful thing. You can do straight up mashed turnips too but they aren't as starchy as potatoes and so the texture isn't ever quite as creamy.

This probably isn't the place for a root vegetable symposium but it might be the place for a "make something out of a root vegetable you've never touched" week!

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Fennel and seafood can be friends. We regularly do a shrimp dish w/ tomato, fennel and feta that's a household favorite, esp. served over pasta. Like this but w/ less booze and breadcrumbs, and cooked on the stove instead of baked.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    I'd say that fennel is fairly commonly used in fish dishes in Sweden, especially with white fish such as cod. I like it! It's a good match.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
    edited February 2020
    84amxk1h1vgt.png

Moqueca! Wyborn did the choppa choppa. Mmmm, the coconut milk and the lime makes it super nice!

I probably added a touch too much chili flakes too, but that's only because my mouth is weak. It's a good amount for building up my spice tolerance

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Next week should be butter chicken or chicken tikka so I can have an excuse to make some other than wanting to eat it.

My Mediterranean inspired fish stew.

I cheated with boxed fish stock and frozen seafood, but it came out delicious.

Vegetables were carrots, celery, onion, capsicum/bell pepper (red, yellow, and orange) and some green beans.
    Seasonings were turmeric, red pepper flakes, oregano, tarragon, bay leaf, and saffron threads
    additions were lemon & herb brined olives (I'll leave these out next time, very bitter), capers, and a squeeze of tomato paste
    Seafood was frozen 'marinara' mix (clams, mussels, calamari, octopus, and baby shrimps), frozen shelled prawns, Fresh Ling Fillets, and some green lipped NZ Mussels

served with garden grown fresh parsley and some buttered bread.

Looks delicious, ahava! <3
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Next week should be butter chicken or chicken tikka so I can have an excuse to make some other than wanting to eat it.

It's indeed curry week! Curry is one of those things I don't have the greatest knowledge on, so if people want to suggest recipes, I'll add them to the OP. :D

signature.png
    Stew made! It turns out that skate's got bones in places I didn't expect so the eating of the stew involved a lot more spitting out of tiny bones than I would have preferred but overall it was good. I put a bunch of clams in as well and those were delicious and fine, I got almost a pound of clam meat frozen out of the shells already and that's the way to go (unless you want the liquor from a can to add to the soup I guess). I just put in potatoes and onions and sprinkled some green onion on top at service, I guess I could have added more vegetables but ehhhhh.

e0MAm5Zl.jpg

Mmm, I deeeeefinitely want to do a clam chowder sometime

Curry recipes posted! (Please suggest others, this was just about half an hour of intense googling)

Please also nominate another dish to do after this, gnocchi, and gumbo. You can pick from the bank (mussels, french onion soup, tourtière, tacos, gnocchi, lobster bisque, _ wellington, paella, roast chicken, arancini, butter chicken, cinnamon rolls/ swirly doughs, risotto, pavlova, giant / baked beans, root vegetable exploration, challah) or just throw in another suggestion!

signature.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've come to really like making a thin curry gravy and putting it in udon noodles with some slices of carrots and diced chicken. The recipe is super duper easy, just involves chicken broth, a bit of heavy cream, tomato paste (purely for color), and the most important thing:
    819O9OU-ZtL._SL1500_.jpg
    Spoiler for huge image.

Pinfeldorf on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I actually have time to cook this weekend.

We do a nice Japanese curry at my house most of the time, it lasts forever and is a Healy and delicious lunch that can be saved and used for lunches and dinners for like two weeks.

This time we will be trying something different.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I bowed out of this weekend's experiment because I was sick, and because decent seafood is not easy to come by in Oklahoma. It's been straightforward sheet pan chicken and veggies for me.

I kind of like the root vegetable mystery idea, and we should probably get it done before all the other vegetables start coming into season.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Cod chowder! Not curry! That was a silly original statement!

c79lDXsh.jpg

jqjGzc1h.jpg

IcN00B1h.jpg

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    I am going to continue letting Matty be my culinary sage and I'm going to try out his butter chicken recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Qjf6IyclQ