As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    A good Rein knows that his own health is another tanking resource he has at his disposal in addition to the shield. If his health is staying at full then he's not using that resource effectively. When he's not in melee range he should be pushing forward aggressively with the shield to get into melee range, with his team supporting him. That's more true now than ever with the recent tank changes. Once he's in melee range he needs to alternate between swinging and shielding - he wants to be doing as much damage as possible without getting killed, using the shield as a breather to give his healers time to save him. Enemies are very unlikely to be shooting at your teammates when they are actively getting hit by a hammer.

Staggering your shield is also a good way to close distance on people deceptively fast. Less so now with his speed-while-shielding being boosted, but the Rein that flicks his shield up and down to take full advantage of passive healing (especially Lucio and Brig) is going to get into the zone where he's dangerous much faster than the one who just marches with his shield up.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    played a bunch of comp last night, won almost all of my tank games and lost almost all of my support games. now at a season high for tank, season low for support, with like a 300 SR spread between them. for support i generally play whatever makes sense, but literally every time i played moira i got people being shitty about "dps moira" despite the fact that i specifically try NOT to play her that way. tank can be frustrating because of the other team, but support makes me just want to strangle my own teammates sometimes.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Houston was pathetic, like watching a pub QP match where no one trusted the other players even though they thoguht they were playing the right meta.

But the pauses during the Florida/Houston game were inexcusable. One time is fine, three times is shit (twice in the middle of key engagements).

Mei is still way too powerful, and she's my girl but Ana needs an ult charge nerf, waaaaaay too quick right now. Also I'm feeling more like Rein needs to lose 400 HP on shields or lose 50-100 armor on his kit.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Houston was pathetic, like watching a pub QP match where no one trusted the other players even though they thoguht they were playing the right meta.

But the pauses during the Florida/Houston game were inexcusable. One time is fine, three times is shit (twice in the middle of key engagements).

Mei is still way too powerful, and she's my girl but Ana needs an ult charge nerf, waaaaaay too quick right now. Also I'm feeling more like Rein needs to lose 400 HP on shields or lose 50-100 armor on his kit.

Houston really needed to overhaul their support line and didn’t. The Meko pickup was great but the dude needs to peel everywhere at once and can’t possibly do the work asked of him. Plus, they weirdly split up at points for no reason and lost several fights due to poor initial positioning or slow rotations.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

Houston really needed to overhaul their support line and didn’t. The Meko pickup was great but the dude needs to peel everywhere at once and can’t possibly do the work asked of him. Plus, they weirdly split up at points for no reason and lost several fights due to poor initial positioning or slow rotations.

They did overhaul their support line. They picked up Rapel and Jecse. They just chose to play Rawkus instead of Rapel. Their real problems were a crappy comp for the first couple maps (they did way better after switching to Ana) and being too timid.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Jecse is an upgrade in that you don't have Boink on Lucio anymore. Rapel is an upgrade in paper but maybe he actually isn't? So they went from trash to barely above trash in that regard.

Hydration is a good player but he kind of overlaps with Danteh. Blase being your best non-Widow hitscan is bad news.

I honestly feel like some of the players they have are uncoachable. Muma in particular goes rogue way too much. Coaching should have been their biggest upgrade but that first map just looked like same old Houston not doing much of anything.

Edit: Jake being such a big brain might have been their biggest asset.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Oh I agree they didn't make the right changes. I think they don't want to get rid of too many of the old players either because they're flame's (the team's general manager) buddies or because Houston is the most popular team and they want to stay that way.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    They also have been having all kinds of financial/ownership issues for months so they probably didn't have the money/resources to make bigger upgrades even if they'd wanted to.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Playing more Symmetra, I'm realizing now how underrated her alt fire is. The audio effect is actually pretty misleading about how quickly it charges - it does full damage the moment it finishes consuming 9 ammo, which takes one second for 140 DPS. Her fully charged beam does 180 DPS, taking 2.66 seconds to get there. Doing some napkin math, it takes over four seconds for her primary fire to out-DPS her secondary fire. It's really only worth using if you have the chance to safely charge it up on a shield first, or to bypass defense matrix. But if using the primary fire means risking death by being too aggro, it's not worth it.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    They really need to keep a critical box on Hammond when in ball form if he's going to be at his current kit level in terms of shield/damage/radius/ult charge (personally I'd nerf the shield boost). Just let it be one of his tiles in ball form that's a different color or texture that is just there that you may or may not hit while he's rolling, at least it gives some spread heroes like Sombra or Tracer a better chance with him. He's become the tank equivalent of Doomfist in getting way too much return on middling play and requiring too much focus for one hero.

And this weekend the OWL effect took over and every damn game has Mei in it now. Terrible! Sad!

edit: also the removal of seeing a clear heavy stacks against solo queues in QP and comp is one of the scummiest things this game has ever done and needs to be fixed.

TexiKen on
  • Options

They did overhaul their support line. They picked up Rapel and Jecse. They just chose to play Rawkus instead of Rapel. Their real problems were a crappy comp for the first couple maps (they did way better after switching to Ana) and being too timid.

Is that an overhaul? I saw it as a slight upgrade at best, sidegrade more likely. Just swapping out parts doesn't actually mean they made any progress.

Also they don't have a McCree worth a damn, which is kind of sad. I don't super blame Muma on going rogue because he creates a ton of space and his DPS do jack all to kill anything. That forces him to make big plays or just die from attrition.

Like, for all I love Mano, he's pretty passive and very good at protecting his team. However, his style works because their DPS are good, his off-tank has always been great, and Jjonak is godlike. So he buys time, makes space, and his team actually does their jobs. He's very good at staying alive with fewer resources than other tanks, which lets his teammates shine.

Muma could do the same thing and lose every fight because the rest of his team would simply provide less throughput, leading to a fight loss. So I don't blame him for going aggro. In a better team, I still think he would be a star.

• Options
    They really need to keep a critical box on Hammond when in ball form if he's going to be at his current kit level in terms of shield/damage/radius/ult charge (personally I'd nerf the shield boost). Just let it be one of his tiles in ball form that's a different color or texture that is just there that you may or may not hit while he's rolling, at least it gives some spread heroes like Sombra or Tracer a better chance with him. He's become the tank equivalent of Doomfist in getting way too much return on middling play and requiring too much focus for one hero.

And this weekend the OWL effect took over and every damn game has Mei in it now. Terrible! Sad!

edit: also the removal of seeing a clear heavy stacks against solo queues in QP and comp is one of the scummiest things this game has ever done and needs to be fixed.

I see nothing good that would come from having an essentially random spot that causes a character to randomly take double damage.

---

"I'm one win off of touching Platinum for the season in support, and haven't played for a week. One evening should get there."

First game, had to mute two people before the doors even opened because they started yelling at each other about where to set up on Numbani Defense. Apparently that continued the rest of the match, and we did as well as you'd expect from that.

Second game, Ball/Hog/Genji/Widow clownfest.

Third game, disconnect/leaver.

"...I'm four wins off touching Platinum and... yeah that's more than enough for the week."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Is that an overhaul? I saw it as a slight upgrade at best, sidegrade more likely. Just swapping out parts doesn't actually mean they made any progress.

Also they don't have a McCree worth a damn, which is kind of sad. I don't super blame Muma on going rogue because he creates a ton of space and his DPS do jack all to kill anything. That forces him to make big plays or just die from attrition.

Like, for all I love Mano, he's pretty passive and very good at protecting his team. However, his style works because their DPS are good, his off-tank has always been great, and Jjonak is godlike. So he buys time, makes space, and his team actually does their jobs. He's very good at staying alive with fewer resources than other tanks, which lets his teammates shine.

Muma could do the same thing and lose every fight because the rest of his team would simply provide less throughput, leading to a fight loss. So I don't blame him for going aggro. In a better team, I still think he would be a star.

I think Muma has gone from a top 10 main tank in season 1 to a bottom 5 main tank now. That isn't because he's gotten worse. It's because the competition has gotten so much better.

It isn't just the fault of the DPS. Blase and Hydration have historically been good. Not top tier, but solid. No one on that team is really doing anything.

• Options
    Took some advice from @surrealitycheck and started running the Stuffshrew during DPS placements. I think I used him in the last 3 of the 5. 5-0, DPS SR is now higher than my tank SR. ~60% kill participation in each of them. Didn't allow any full completes.

The times when I knew I was doing everything correctly were:

Volskaya Industries, I'm camped out on B defense balcony raining bombs into choke. My spidey senses start tingling and I realize that Reinhardt is nowhere to be found. I say to team, "Where is Rein?" I'm about to say we should check platforms when I hear the charge sound from my immediate right and I mine jump away, knocking him off course and into the water on the left side of the map. He fucking snuck all the way around just to kill me and it didn't work.

King's Row, I'm camped out on B defense balcony raining bombs into choke. We win like 3 team fights with a few clutch tires to seal it up. Next fight their Lucio comes over the top at me. I figure I can handle it but then their Moira appears. I actually almost got them but I died and they managed to push most of the way through streets. We stopped them before capping B though. They fucking sent their support line after me.

The Trashchild is for real.

• Options

He's definitely too hard to kill at times, but he absolutely does not get good return on middling play. And neither does Doom, for that matter. If you don't have a solid command of the kit and mechanics of both of those characters, you're going to feed in a big way.

• Options
    Here's the attempted assassination from Rein's perspective. I love that right out of spawn he knows what his mission is. I also am baffled why he didn't use Earthshatter. It was a guaranteed kill.

https://youtu.be/VPQg9ArYOnI

• Options

I think Muma has gone from a top 10 main tank in season 1 to a bottom 5 main tank now. That isn't because he's gotten worse. It's because the competition has gotten so much better.

It isn't just the fault of the DPS. Blase and Hydration have historically been good. Not top tier, but solid. No one on that team is really doing anything.

Hydration has been good on pharah and I think DF but he’s not a good Mei. Blase got outclassed hard by the other McCrees they faced.

Again, I feel like Muma is in an awful spot and would perform much better on another team or with different teammates. Rein is a difficult hero, particularly in this Mei meta, and it has to be messing with his head.

• Options
    Muma made his reputation mostly on Winston, and if he were still meta in any way I think Muma would be doing a lot better. The rest of his team definitely isn't doing him any favors, but his Rein isn't much more than serviceable. There honestly aren't very many teams right now who would take him over their current main tank, sad to say.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    played a bunch of comp last night, won almost all of my tank games and lost almost all of my support games. now at a season high for tank, season low for support, with like a 300 SR spread between them. for support i generally play whatever makes sense, but literally every time i played moira i got people being shitty about "dps moira" despite the fact that i specifically try NOT to play her that way.

I finished my tank placements last night - had one game left.

So now I'm at...

Tank - 1 and 4 - 2809
    DPS - 4 and 1 - 2645
    Sup - 4 and 1 - 2445

If we're going by SR, my tank is obviously a force of nature sweeping across enemy teams and leaving naught but dust. If we're going by winrate, my DPS is a beast. Le sigh.
    tank can be frustrating because of the other team, but support makes me just want to strangle my own teammates sometimes.

I think it's because of where each class plays. Tank plays in front, so when half your team disappears you're never quite sure how.

When you're support, you know exactly what went wrong. You watched it all happen, and probably tried to make callouts to prevent it that your team ignored.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Here's the attempted assassination from Rein's perspective. I love that right out of spawn he knows what his mission is. I also am baffled why he didn't use Earthshatter. It was a guaranteed kill.

https://youtu.be/VPQg9ArYOnI

lol, I love how he crouches on the platform. Like... who could possibly miss Rein, crouched or no?

• Options
    Sneaky footsteps!

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Yeah the footsteps makes sense as he's moving after he gets off the platform... but I just about died when I saw him crouched on the platform itself. I'm picturing thief or some stealth game with Reinhardt as the main character, sneakily KO'ing people with his hammer.

• Options
    I can hear the "deetledeetledeetledeetle" of high-pitch piano keys as he tiptoes...

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    think Kronk from Emperor's New Groove

• Options
    Precisely.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    If there's anything I need in Overwatch it's a bunch of 11 year olds who're playing Genji because he's cool in the cartoon.

• Options
    Chance wrote: »
    If there's anything I need in Overwatch it's a bunch of 11 year olds who're playing Genji because he's cool in the cartoon.

So... nothing changes?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    And he WOULD be cool in a cartoon. He always gets to do the coolest things in the various cinematics

• Options
    And he WOULD be cool in a cartoon. He always gets to do the coolest things in the various cinematics

Frickin' deflecting the UberMech in the OW2 cinematic while Tracer gets relegated to the Captain Marvel job - running the important thing from one end of a fight to the other.

Which reminds me - Mercy's hair is shorter in OW2. Mmmm. Mercy with short hair...

• Options
    Don't talk shit about my boy Gengu. I almost cried when he showed up in the OW2 cinematic.

If only I could play him in game.

• Options
    Don't talk shit about my boy Gengu. I almost cried when he showed up in the OW2 cinematic.

I'm pretty sure that cinematic moved me to tears on first viewing too. That's what kinda' makes me standoffish about the idea of an Overwatch series - maybe they could tell good stories (which, admittedly, is the point), but I can't imagine whatever it is being as gorgeous as the Blizz Cinematics team's work.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

i have been spending a lot more time playing genji in the deathmatch waiting for queues. I'm still terrible but getting slowly better. Learning to play one on one against anas, mcree, and other people has been very insightful, especially when fighting against him. I recommend it! (mcree throwing flashbang at my fight and stunning me is bull!)

• Options
    Because of WuFlu they cancelled all the OWL Chinese homestands and are moving those games to Korea during Seoul's homestand and later weeks (Shanghai's was supposed to be this week), which makes the most sense.

(and also now to make up for the inevitable pauses and delays they need to have prerecorded kpop team fights, Momoland vs. WekiMeki, AoA vs. Everglow, ANS vs. WJSN, it makes too much sense not to do it!)

• Options
    Did pretty well on a Rialto attack last night. Kept a killstreak going from the moment the doors opened 'till just before we took B - the enemy Soldier teabagged me every time I died (?) - and in fairess my PotG looked a little ridiculous. Blink sideways and immediately one-clip a Zen, blink back, blink in and stick my ult to the Mercy, blink out, blink back in and one-clip a Reaper.

T'was lurvely.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've been thinking about how Roadhog is the worst tank rn(and let's be honest he hasn't really been relevant since 1.0. and the one month where Halt/Hook was a thing).

I've also been thinking about how a big issue of his is just how vulnerable he is too CC. You can't really give him a fortify ability cause Orisa already has that so I thinking maybe he could get a passive.

Something like

Big Boi
    "The time in which Roadhog is affected by status effects is reduced by 40%"

So stuns, sleeps, antis would affect him far less.

I think something like that would let him retain his weaknesses without making them such a death sentence.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Ehhh Zarya, D.Va and Hog aren't meant to be that survivable without an anchor backing them up. They each have one personal defensive ability that lasts literally two seconds and is on like an 8-second cooldown. Hog's huff has been repeatedly buffed to boost his survivability - first came the ability to move while huffing (I think?), then came the huff's 50% damage reduction (yuuuuge).

Hog seriously can't be too survivable or his ability to secure picks becomes absolutely overpowered.

Additionally, the notion that Roadhog is a bad tank at all doesn't reflect the game where I play it. Out here. In the streets. In gold on PS4.

Edit: the moment when a Hog is frozen, slept, whatever, is a big one, and eliminating the payoff of that is just weakening every other hero. Buffing him further is just buying into more power creep, and that's how we get unkillable Goats comps.

Hog doesn't need a buff - he needs to lock down his angles and play smart. Ew that's like writing "git gud". Hog's huff is already a huge survivability boost second only to Fortify, which doesn't have the benefit of providing +300 HP + ult charge.

Chance on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I mean Hog is like Reaper in that he's good in environments where comms and teamwork is pretty iffy but gets worse the higher up you go.

That said Reaper is at least at the point where he can still work at higher ranks.

Hog just gets farmed for free most of the time.

Also Ana is meta again and with the barrier nerfs she kind of eats him alive.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't think Hog's issue is really surivablity. Ultimately he's a disruption tank, creating space by fucking up the enemies plans and the bar for that has been seriously raised with Hammond running around. Basically the same situation with Winston right now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Poor Winston. Your bubble is better than Orisa's, your jump CD is the lowest it's ever been and you're still F-tier.

:( I miss my monkey. Fuckin' power creep, man.

Edit: perhaps Hog does need something and Winston definitely does, too - but I'd like the answer to be nerfs to other heroes that adjust the meta, not further buffs to either.

Chance on