As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Picked this back up again. Had a hard time coming up with what class to play. I really wish they adapted the D&D idea for Paladins and let you be any alignment. Decided on a Half-Orc Stalker

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Picked this back up again. Had a hard time coming up with what class to play. I really wish they adapted the D&D idea for Paladins and let you be any alignment. Decided on a Half-Orc Stalker

I am literally excited to answer any questions you have. :D

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    They've just announced that Wrath of the Righteous will have a native turn-based mode. Not a stretch goal or anything, which is great.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    They've just announced that Wrath of the Righteous will have a native turn-based mode. Not a stretch goal or anything, which is great.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I am so happy right now.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    That will help to unfuck a lot of encounters.

I prefer manual pausing, but there are sacrifices involved, like whichever party member just got eaten alive by wargs.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    That will help to unfuck a lot of encounters.

I prefer manual pausing, but there are sacrifices involved, like whichever party member just got eaten alive by wargs.

The best part - which they're grabbing from the current TB mod for Kingmaker - is that you can switch back-and-forth on the fly. Generally, while I'm playing, I've got it in turn-based until I hit the clean-up phase, and then I let the rest run on real-time just to speed it up.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I started a new playthrough with the turn based mod and proper flanking.

I found out that you can't charge after taking a 5 foot step. Whoops, said my monk who can't move and gets killed by archers in the tutorial.

I'm so good at this, guys

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I may need to respec my sorcerer. I started this up recently and quickly threw the turn based on there so I can better tell what I'm doing during a fight.
    But I miss with my spells a LOT. I didn't really spend any stats on dexterity, so this snowball has little to no chance of ever bothering anybody.
    The leopard does a lot of combat heavy lifting for me though so far.
    I have been getting a bit better with the side characters, although I'm never sure what to have the bard doing as most of their sells beyond the basic song boost havent been very helpful either.
    Amiri may be sad I took away her ginormous sword but focusing on being able to hit things more consistently with a +1 club has been working out.
    I guess I need to drop some feats into weapon focus, but it seems sad to lock someone into only being particularly good with a specific weapon type at the early stages of the game.

Oh spoiler question I guess.
    I just got the last of the companions who ran off with Tartuccio back. Is the fact that they're evil going to be a problem? Will they stick with you longterm or should I be buying a custom built companion from the person at the inn?

akajaybay on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I may need to respec my sorcerer. I started this up recently and quickly threw the turn based on there so I can better tell what I'm doing during a fight.
    But I miss with my spells a LOT. I didn't really spend any stats on dexterity, so this snowball has little to no chance of ever bothering anybody.
    The leopard does a lot of combat heavy lifting for me though so far.
    I have been getting a bit better with the side characters, although I'm never sure what to have the bard doing as most of their sells beyond the basic song boost havent been very helpful either.
    Amiri may be sad I took away her ginormous sword but focusing on being able to hit things more consistently with a +1 club has been working out.
    I guess I need to drop some feats into weapon focus, but it seems sad to lock someone into only being particularly good with a specific weapon type at the early stages of the game.

Oh spoiler question I guess.
    I just got the last of the companions who ran off with Tartuccio back. Is the fact that they're evil going to be a problem? Will they stick with you longterm or should I be buying a custom built companion from the person at the inn?

Sorcerer and Wizard are weak early game, so don't be surprised about that. Your low-level spells should mostly be survival buffs: Blur, Shield, Mage Armor. You'll start being useful around level 5-7. But yes, Focus in Ranged Touch attacks is pretty important. If you're not familiar with 3E D&D or Pathfinder you might want to look up some build advice.

As to your other concern: your companions will stick with you in general. There are some places where you can lose them, but your alignment doesn't matter as much as whether you specifically piss them off. You can also have influence on the alignment of some of those characters on their personal quests.

EDIT: I wouldn't build any companions yet, just wait and see if you lose one that you really need in your party. You can buy a custom companion at any time, but they won't have any of the backstory connections to the world if you use them instead.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    @Spawnbroker

Yeah, you can only take a 5' step if it's your only movement during your turn. Note that, (later on or if you have a dual-wielder) if you want to take a full-attack action and swing more than once on your turn, you can only take a 5' step and need to turn it on first, or the game will automatically spend a move action to move and spoil your full attack.

@akajaybay

There are, essentially, two types of attack spells. There are spells that require the opponent to make a saving thrown for half damage (fireball, lightning bolt, burning hands, etc.). These will almost always do some damage (unless your opponent has Evasion, a Rogue and Barbarian ability), but you need to use the right one for the right opponent (attack fighter-types with Reflex saves, don't use Will saves against clerics, etc.). Then there are touch attack spells - these require you to either make a melee attack roll (using Strength) or a ranged attack roll (using Dex) against your opponent's Touch AC. Touch AC tends to be a lot lower than normal AC, because things like armor and scales don't count - a dragon, for instance, will have a normal AC in the 20s, but a touch AC <10. Touch attack spells don't generally give your opponents a saving throw, though some exceptions exist. Touch attack spells can score critical hits, too, for double damage!

If you're focusing on ranged touch attack spells, then you'll want your caster to have a highish Dex score and pick up the Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot feats; you'll benefit from the attack bonus improvements and the damage bonus. If you're focusing on melee touch attack spells, then you might want to consider rolling a Magus, since that's their whole schtick.

Especially early-going, spells that disable or distract your opponents tend to be better than straight damage. A magic missile cast by a starting wizard does 2-5 damage, and that's it. That might kill one target. A sleep spell, on the other hand, can disable 4 or 5 targets, opening them up for Coup de Grace attacks for instant death.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah I may do a respec on my main just to shift a little bit into DEX. Maybe drop my max point in CHA since that'll give me a good chunk of point to bring up baseline DEX. So also on general turns they can shoot some crowwbow bolts in the mix. But the point blank and precise shot stuff will be useful as well because the firing into combat penalties are also a big reason for misses. I'm enjoying having the leopard wrecking house.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The amusing part of the turn based announcement was the shift in the complaints. Originally the complaints were that turn based was so easy to implement a modder did it for Kingmaker without mod tools and it works great, so Owlcat could easily just use his mod logic.

Now it’s announced but they stressed that the game is designed around RtwP as that’s their focus, just adding turn based isn’t good enough and won’t work properly without the game being designed around it.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The amusing part of the turn based announcement was the shift in the complaints. Originally the complaints were that turn based was so easy to implement a modder did it for Kingmaker without mod tools and it works great, so Owlcat could easily just use his mod logic.

Now it’s announced but they stressed that the game is designed around RtwP as that’s their focus, just adding turn based isn’t good enough and won’t work properly without the game being designed around it.

Turn based, as far as I can tell, just makes the game slightly easier because now you dont have characters going off doing their own thing at random for no reason.

And this company doesn't seem to understand what a difficulty curve is, their idea of a difficulty curve is "give all the enemies +8 to all stats lololol good luck nerds", so forgive me if I don't believe them on this one.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I get the idea of wanting to stay as adherent to the source mechanics as possible but I do hope some of the dumber D&D-style mechanics could be translated to video game form a bit better(see:KotOR) for the next one. More specifically things like persuasion success being tied to a d20 roll.

• Options
    I'm having a blast with the turn based mod so far. About to finish Old Sycamore and go kill Mr. Stagman.

Turn based just removes a lot of the frustration I have with the game. I'm glad they're going to have both turn based and RTWP and make it a toggle in the next game, that seems like a good call. Satisfy both groups of customers, both of whom are very loud and angry at each other.

• Options
    I find that certain classes - like wizards and magi - are also only really “doable” in TB mode.

Like, Magi have three or four things you might want to spend your swift action on each round, which requires a ton of manual intervention, and you can’t do that unless you’re pausing all the time or ignoring all your other characters.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It’s a tricky subject, because they set out to make a RtwP game. They saw the popularity of the turn based mod, but their goal wasn’t that.

Personally I’m glad they’re still focussing on RtwP and are not shifting gears mid development, but are also putting it in as a toggleable option officially.

Both sides are going to complain - RtwP people feel the development time could be better spent elsewhere, turn based people don’t feel it goes far enough. But at least they’re sticking to their original vision.

I’m personally more pleased about the extra reactivity goal. I feel the biggest part lacking in Kingmaker is banter. Outside of camping and companion quests, your party is fairly silent. If they manage a goal of complete voice acting as well as the extra reactivity, I’ll be very happy.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    That was one of the many things I felt Kingmaker was lacking- except for Linzi, the party doesn't even talk all that much outside of scripted events. How much better and more three-dimensional would it have made the characters portrayed instead of the practically two-dimensional party members we had?

I mean, hell, one of the absolute best part of a game like Dragon Age is the intra-party banter just going on and on and on about everything- party relationships, events, everything.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Anybody got any tips for kingdom management so I don't fuck it up from the beginning?

Things I'm going to try to keep in mind:
    • Always solve problems if I can before they expire. Opportunities can wait.
    • Rank up advisors at the beginning of the month, solve problems in the latter half.
    • Unlock all advisor slots ASAP, they unlock by getting 60+ in each of the first 5 stats?
    • Pray?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Anybody got any tips for kingdom management so I don't fuck it up from the beginning?

• Rank up advisors at the beginning of the month, solve problems in the latter half.
    • Unlock all advisor slots ASAP, they unlock by getting 60+ in each of the first 5 stats?
    • Pray?

The kingdom building game gives you a lot of benefits in the management side, so don't skimp on building new buildings. Selling unwanted loot and funneling it into Kingdom Points that you invest into buildings is crucial for staying ahead on managing your kingdom.

Story-related spoiler -
    Rush to get Jubilost. He's the only Treasurer you will find for awhile without mercenaries, so it's worth it to spoil yourself about his location.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited February 2020

• Pray?

The kingdom building game gives you a lot of benefits in the management side, so don't skimp on building new buildings. Selling unwanted loot and funneling it into Kingdom Points that you invest into buildings is crucial for staying ahead on managing your kingdom.

Story-related spoiler -
    Rush to get Jubilost. He's the only Treasurer you will find for awhile without mercenaries, so it's worth it to spoil yourself about his location.
    If you’ve got The Wildcards DLC, you can get Kanerah at the same time (but a longer walk to where her quest is) and she’s a Treasurer too.

They said in a dev stream they’re aiming for an 80 hour campaign this time, which is nice. Kingmakers campaign suffers from too much filler to push it well over 100 hours.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Troll trouble quest started, I went and picked up Jubilost and Ekundayo and immediately added them both as permanent members of my party.

Jubilost especially, he's such a cheeky fucker. Love it.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    They hit their +1 archetype per class goal, which should make character-building an even more delicious puzzle requiring many restarts.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Troll trouble quest started, I went and picked up Jubilost and Ekundayo and immediately added them both as permanent members of my party.

Jubilost especially, he's such a cheeky fucker. Love it.

Counterpoint: Jubilost is only good for treasury stuff because his so incredibly abrasive. Also, I don't know how alchemists work and it makes me hate him more.

• Options
    Alchemists are self-buffers* + UNLIMITED AOES!!! They have a solid mix of normally-wizard-only and normally-cleric-only buffs, which can be solid in combination.

I prefer a bard for my last character slot, though, and Linzi’s my BFF, so ...

* Until you take the secret that lets you buff friends.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Alchemists are self-buffers* + UNLIMITED AOES!!! They have a solid mix of normally-wizard-only and normally-cleric-only buffs, which can be solid in combination.

I prefer a bard for my last character slot, though, and Linzi’s my BFF, so ...

* Until you take the secret that lets you buff friends.

I much rather prefer bards for my party buffers, and my PC is a dragon disciple/sorcerer/eldritch knight for self-buffing, AND Linzi is also my BFF (and most-regrettable non-romanceable NPC) so I guess that's why I never went with alchemists. Maybe I'll include Jubilost in a future playthrough where I finally main a cleric so I don't have to bring 1) Terrible Stats Harrim, or 2) Healbot Tristan.

• Options
    Ok the final boss of Troll Trouble, what the fuck:
    Main troll king guy has freedom of movement, so hold person and Grease don't do anything. I got super lucky and Ekundayo's wolf tripped him at the start of the fight which let me finish him off before he had more than 1 round of auto attacks on my main tank. My main tank had...32 ac with blur, haste, reduce person, everything I could buff him with...and the troll guy was not missing at all.

Then, Tartuk has 35 AC, so good luck hitting him at all. Luckily, Hold Person worked on him, but the troll guy caused quite a few restarts. How the heck are you supposed to do that fight without cheese and just reloading a bunch of times?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Ok the final boss of Troll Trouble, what the fuck:
    Main troll king guy has freedom of movement, so hold person and Grease don't do anything. I got super lucky and Ekundayo's wolf tripped him at the start of the fight which let me finish him off before he had more than 1 round of auto attacks on my main tank. My main tank had...32 ac with blur, haste, reduce person, everything I could buff him with...and the troll guy was not missing at all.

Then, Tartuk has 35 AC, so good luck hitting him at all. Luckily, Hold Person worked on him, but the troll guy caused quite a few restarts. How the heck are you supposed to do that fight without cheese and just reloading a bunch of times?

I kept hearing how hard that fight is and watched a play through where it took a dozen attempts.
    I exploded Hargulka in about 5 seconds, and Tartuk took about 10 seconds to whittle down. Ekundayo and my ranger (who had the Devourer of Metal bow) started firing at him. Valerie and both Animal Companions ran in and started hitting. Kalikke threw a charge level 2 Ice blast. Octavia threw Magic Missiles.

Then Hargulka just exploded. I was actually fairly disappointed.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It's also very possible that I'm here too early. I am still level 6, so I don't even have level 3 caster spells

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I was level 7, but I doubt one level would make that fight that much easier.

Guessing I got lucky with a series of crits.

I’ve read that the devs confirmed in a dev stream that timed quests are gone and overall progress will be gated by your armies progress which just thank you. The time limits aren’t bad in Kingmaker unless you really dawdle around, but having an artificial timer a over me is something I always hate.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I saw a lot of hate for Swarms, particularly throwing them at you early, when this game launched. I wonder how many played further into the game because there’s three spells in this game that I think are absolutely mandatory to get as soon as anyone can get them and if you don’t you’re going to have an utterly miserable time.
    Resist Energy Communal. Holy shit act 2. War Wisps will wreck you from
    Stealth. Like party wipe wreck you before you even see them. And you fight them like a dozen times in one area. Resist Electricity means this doesn’t happen, but you will walk into the wall and need to reload.

Delay Poison Communal. There are SO MANY enemies that have poison that does attribute damage. So, so many. An hour of no poison let’s you clear a zone before the effect wears off.

Death Ward. Spectres that just appear and hit you with negative levels? What the fuck.

Outside of those three I haven’t seen anything that’s particularly bad or can’t be played around. But those three spells are utterly mandatory to making progress in the game and the developers should have signposted these spells somehow. They seem second nature to Pathfinder veterans but for a new person skipping them for big fun nukes will make your life miserable.

• Options
    Jubilost, Ekundayo, and Harrim all want to go to this troll lair for various reasons. But I can't make all three of them work in my party. That just leaves me and Valerie for tanks, and I'd have to pick Trisitian or Linzi and I kinda need them both.

• Options
    Also, if I recall what people say, it's to do the 'story quest' (Like Troll Trouble, right?) ASAP, and then you have extra time at the end of the chapter to raise up the kingdom. Is there a strategy for the rank up times? Since it forces you to spend 14 days waiting? I already figure it's best to assign a bunch of advisors to tasks first, then start the rank up. Wasn't there something about doing them at the beginning or end of a month?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Jubilost, Ekundayo, and Harrim all want to go to this troll lair for various reasons. But I can't make all three of them work in my party. That just leaves me and Valerie for tanks, and I'd have to pick Trisitian or Linzi and I kinda need them both.

IIRC Jubilost only needs to be shown the area, once you arrive his quest completes. And Ekundayo can finish his part pretty early in the dungeon. Gotta bring Harrim to the very end though.

• Options
    Yeah, the story quests will continually toss problems at you while the main things are happening. E.g., while Troll Trouble is happening, Trolls will keep attacking your territory, generating PROBLEM cards that need an advisor to address them before they do damage to your barony, and you'll also randomly get "TROLL ATTACK!" events that damage, e.g., community, loyalty, and military.

For the rank-up times, yeah - make sure your advisors are assigned to do something before you start one of them, because it's 2 weeks of you being unable to interact with your kingdom. Because of that, be careful about the timing. If you've got a problem card that expires at the end of the month, and the advisor you need to assign to it is currently busy but will finish before the end of the month, but you'll be busy with the rank-up event when that happens, then you need to wait.

E.g., it's currently the 25th of Month 4. You have a problem that will expire on the 1st of Month 5. The High Priest, who can solve the problem, will finish his current task on the 28th of Month 4. If you start your Rank Up quest now, the game will auto-advance to ... uh ... the 9th of Month 5, failing the Problem. Instead, wait until your High Priest finishes his current task, assign him to the Problem, and then start the Rank Up quest.

The reason to avoid doing them near the end of the month is that you don't want the game to auto-advance past the announcement of a new problem and it expiring, resulting in your auto-failing that problem. I think these have mostly been patched out, with problems that arise at the end of the month having their expiration be the first of the month two months away, but some still exist.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Only Ekundayo needs to be in the party during the Troll Trouble quest. Jublilost just needs to enter the zone, and Harrim can finish his quest after it’s cleared out. Just take Ekun, finish the quest, leave, change your party to include the other two and go back in.

I’m not sure Ekun even needs to be in the party, but his part of the area comes up during actual exploration of the dungeon.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Only Ekundayo needs to be in the party during the Troll Trouble quest. Jublilost just needs to enter the zone, and Harrim can finish his quest after it’s cleared out. Just take Ekun, finish the quest, leave, change your party to include the other two and go back in.

I’m not sure Ekun even needs to be in the party, but his part of the area comes up during actual exploration of the dungeon.

Ekun doesn't actually need to be in the party for his quest to finish. I didn't take him and just talked to him about it afterwards and got completion.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I hope they don’t just tie Myhtic paths to alignment. They say your Mythic path is decided by choices you make during the game, but some of the descriptions sound like stuff that wouldn’t be tied to alignment. Like the Swarm that Walks says something about being betrayed and consumed by hatred, and the Gold Dragon about being revived by a Silver Dragon.

There’s potential for really interesting story choices deciding your path that have nothing to do with alignment.

Also in the latest update they talk about graphics improvements and they’re ditching the hand painted look of Kingmaker for a more realistic look.

Might be for the best - the hand painted look have it an almost wistful appearance which really worked with the tone of Kingmaker, but with Wrath they are going for a darker tale about the cost of seeking power which that art style would be at odds with. But I love the look of Kingmaker so losing that feels kinda bad.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Ekun doesn't actually need to be in the party for his quest to finish. I didn't take him and just talked to him about it afterwards and got completion.

How did it work with the choice in the dungeon?
    If he’s with you he tries to kill the trolls children and you can let him or talk him down.

This discussion has been closed.