As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The Quest headphones, like the Rift S ones (same approach), aren't great - but I find that when I'm in a game that's engaging and immersive, I don't even mind. I bought some Sennheiser in-ear phones to use with the Rift, and I rarely use them.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    tank top and some short-shorts so when you work up a sweat you don't retain the heat

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    kime wrote: »
    My Quest is scheduled to arrive Friday. So.... thread, anything I should know or accessories to buy before then? Do I need headphones?
    Here's a list of things you may want to consider, all of them for the modest budget:
    • While the speakers are pretty decent, headphones are the best way to play. However, dealing with cables is a huge pain in the ass, especially when you went the wireless Quest route. I bought these babies and have been super satisfied. They are small, pack a good bass punch, and the wires are long enough to reach your ears without ever getting in the way and also not short enough where they'll pull out when you rotating your head around. Yes, there are better headphones out there, but these are $25 and specifically designed for the Quest.
    • If you plan on taking your Quest with you anywhere, I recommend buying a travel case. This one works amazingly well for me, and it's only $30.
    • Personally, I found storing the Quest at home to be a pain. Where do you put it when not in use and in a place that it won't get knocked over? The travel case was an okay option, but this AMVR stand is a fantastic option. It's not a charging station, so you still need to run a chord to it, but this not only is fantastic for storing your Quest when it's not being used, but it kind of has a cool look to it. Obviously I highly recommend it, especially when it's only $25.
    • I don't have these yet, but I'm definitely considering getting the AMVR Dual Handles extension for the touch controllers. From everything I've read about them, they make Beat Saber a more enjoyable experience and they're $28, which isn't bad. Of course, if that isn't your game, then you may want to forgo that purchase.

One extra thing to note is that when your Quest is not in use, always always ALWAYS make sure that you have the lens protector inserted. Direct sunlight into the lens can burn the screen within minutes. Even with it on, don't tempt fate and place the Quest in a spot where the lens are facing a window. Given that there is a shortage of units, I don't know if even the Best Buy replacement program would be able to get you a new unit in a decent time frame.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Putting the lens protector in seems like a lot of annoying busywoek every time, it's enough to just face it away from windows.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Putting the lens protector in seems like a lot of annoying busywoek every time, it's enough to just face it away from windows.
    Yeah, that may suffice. It's honestly not that hard to just put in the protector. You just pick it up, rest it in the headset, and you're done! There's no fancy snapping or anything complicated.

I'm one of those people that is in the mindset of "just do it every time and you never make an accident." Then again, I'm an insanely forgetful individual and would screw it up if I didn't have a pattern/system to follow. Plus, I have kids who mimic the way I handle my gaming sets, so if they see me do it, they know they should do it too.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    My Quest is scheduled to arrive Friday. So.... thread, anything I should know or accessories to buy before then? Do I need headphones?

Clear a nice big space, and pre-measure your interpupilary distance. : )

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried using a Bluetooth Aux Audio adapter so that we can use BT earphones with the Quest? I have a pair of wireless Beats Pro that are super comfortable and would work great with VR, but there's no way currently for me to pair them with the Quest that I know of. Anyone come up with a way to get BT earphones working yet?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular

We need a bit of color to these drab black boxes strapped to our heads.

Gonna put a flame decal on the side to make it go faster!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I got a Quest! Easy to set up and fun wooo!

What's the best way to sideload content, specifically Beat Saber songs :P ?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Boneworks seems like an actual built-out game with a plot and puzzles and stuff but it's the most aggressive motion sickness I've hit in hundreds of hours of VR and it's real disappointing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I'm actually home tonight for our weekly VR group time! Will anyone else be online around 2 hours from now?

You are welcome to @ me in the PA VR discord server: https://discordapp.com/invite/DBcjn3b

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Thanks to @templewulf for cooping a bunch of Arizona Sunshine levels and putting up with my (often very bad) accents!

Tons of fun, glad to play it again.

Karoz wrote: »
    Thanks to @templewulf for cooping a bunch of Arizona Sunshine levels and putting up with my (often very bad) accents!

Tons of fun, glad to play it again.

Yeah, it was great fun! We made way more progress in co-op than I did in single player.

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Boneworks seems like an actual built-out game with a plot and puzzles and stuff but it's the most aggressive motion sickness I've hit in hundreds of hours of VR and it's real disappointing.

You should give The Walking Dead a shot. It was a super super solid game.

camo_sig2.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

You should give The Walking Dead a shot. It was a super super solid game.

Oh I keep forgetting that exists, I'll have to take a look once the steam refund goes through.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    With templewulf and I making a concerted effort to finish Arizona Sunshine, Walking dead is skyrocketing on the list.

Mostly because I can't use a rubber ducky to repel the undead in AS.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Hit me up if you two want to do 3 or 4 person wave in Arizona. I got a buddy that VRs with me

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited February 2020
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Hit me up if you two want to do 3 or 4 person wave in Arizona. I got a buddy that VRs with me

I definitely do, give me an @ here or on the discord

Have you tried Pavlov? The Sneak found a custom map with a fantastic zombie horde mode. Even just for a custom map, it felt like a complete game.

I'm still not a fan of slide movement, but it was worth it 100%

templewulf on
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I have Pavlov but have only played it about an hour. Still neat though!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
        Holy shit, that Humble Bundle is recockulus. Every single game on the list but one is more than the $20 asking price. Even at half off for a decent steam sale, you're coming out ahead. If just one of the games is a hit it's worth it, and from the very/overwhelming positive reviews on all of them (plus what I've read in this thread), I've got a good feeling about it.

Thanks for the heads up. There's a week and change left on the sale as of time of posting.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
      • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
        Yeah, it's an incredible bundle that I've already bought all but 2 of the games on it. It would STILL be worth it for me to pick it up.
        I think I bought them all at or near full price, and they've been worth every penny.

Sadly, it doesn't look like any of it is for the Quest.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
        A cursory Google'ing indicates that it's possible to play Steam games on a Quest, but I cannot vouch for how easy or fraught with peril this might be.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
        edited February 2020
        Forar wrote: »
        A cursory Google'ing indicates that it's possible to play Steam games on a Quest, but I cannot vouch for how easy or fraught with peril this might be.
        You need to use the Link cable, which is easy if you have a strong enough PC. But that's why I bought the Quest, because my rig is 7 years old, hasn't been touched in years, and I didn't want to deal with upgrading parts just to play VR. I don't think it's enough to work it work it. To be honest, I don't even remember the specs of my system after the last rebuild at this point

Le_Goat on

A really cool aspect of VR is its potential to help with healing and medicine.

If nothing else it can give bed bound patients a change of scenery.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        The office right next to mine is a VR studio for health and wellness apps.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/

I wonder if the Index is in the same pickle.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
        That tweet is not a good tweet.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
        PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
      • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
        while i absolutely think its a worry, i have to consider several things.
        1) For valve to be ready for a large scale launch of alyx and the index they would have had to already received a lot of product from china before the virus shut stuff down. especially if the parts are assembled in the US.

2) Alyx being released in a month, with no announced delays at this time (and really none expected given the release date announcement), I think they have the numbers they expected to have for the release.

3) Valve putting out Alyx after so long of basically no new game development is going to call back a *lot* of people and at the same time jump start a lot of new VR units as a 'standard' kind of accessory into the field. This is a major planned event, and if they thought the virus was going to screw up the launch, i think they would have already delayed the release to make sure it goes well.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
      • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
        azith28 wrote: »
        1) For valve to be ready for a large scale launch of alyx and the index they would have had to already received a lot of product from china before the virus shut stuff down. especially if the parts are assembled in the US.

2) Alyx being released in a month, with no announced delays at this time (and really none expected given the release date announcement), I think they have the numbers they expected to have for the release.

3) Valve putting out Alyx after so long of basically no new game development is going to call back a *lot* of people and at the same time jump start a lot of new VR units as a 'standard' kind of accessory into the field. This is a major planned event, and if they thought the virus was going to screw up the launch, i think they would have already delayed the release to make sure it goes well.

That assumes a lot of competency on Valve's part I don't think they deserve. Especially when it come to hardware availability.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
        edited February 2020
        Namrok wrote: »

That assumes a lot of competency on Valve's part I don't think they deserve. Especially when it come to hardware availability.

?? I think your being very unfair. Not sure about your experiences with valve as a company that might have given you the impression that Valve as a company is not at the very least a 'competent' company...but they seem a bit excessive.

azith28 on
        Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

I haven't had to touch the OP in so long.

I thought I was safe.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
        I don't get the fascination which making them smaller. You're going to look goofy as shit regardless, and while reducing weight is good if the weight is the same all you're doing is reducing FOV and increasing pressure..

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
        There's something to be said for leverage when dealing with things attached to your face. The closer the centre of gravity of the faceplate is to your actual face the better. I'm wondering if the box at the rear of the unit is purely for comfort or if they're planning of having some actual working tech in there.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
        That looks like an assbutt you strap to your face

Karoz wrote: »

I haven't had to touch the OP in so long.

I thought I was safe.

So they created a faceplate to... add base stations back on to their new station-free headset?

Is HTC flailing? This looks like flailing

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
        Namrok wrote: »

?? I think your being very unfair. Not sure about your experiences with valve as a company that might have given you the impression that Valve as a company is not at the very least a 'competent' company...but they seem a bit excessive.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-coronavirus/
        With Half-Life: Alyx coming March 23rd, we are working hard to meet demand for the Valve Index and want to reassure everyone that Index systems will be available for purchase prior to the game’s launch. However, the global Coronavirus health crisis has impacted our production schedules so we will have far fewer units for sale during the coming months compared to the volumes we originally planned. Our entire team is working hard right now to maximize availability. To receive a notification as soon as the Valve Index is back in stock, please visit Steam and click “Notify Me.”

In short, Valve didn't already have the Index's they planned at least on the slow boat from China. The virus has impacted Index production, no they aren't delaying Alyx because of it.

Reminder that today at 11 pm UTC (3 pm Pacific, etc) is our weekly Virtual Coop get together as available.

Hoping to do more Arizona Sunshine with @templewulf but plans will change based on who shows up.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
        Kinda looks like a butt, I'm still interested. I want some next gen headset to upgrade off of my regular rift.