As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Dune 2 is uh... tough to get through nowadays. But what an innovation.

I still love it though, one of my favorite games of all time. There have been many ports with improvements, like adding infinite mouse select and even multiplayer, but yeah, unless you grew up with it I don't see it appealing to many newcomers.

Dune Dynasty is probably one of the best ones I've encountered. Faithful to the original game, adds improvements, and even Skirmish modes 'n such.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I remember warcraft 1 only letting you select... 4? units at a time?

that was really something

I'm having trouble remembering but I *think* this was patched (one way or the other, I forget which way they went with it). I know at some point you could literally select every unit (though it would only display four icons selected)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Now that Reforged is out and has its own thread, I really feel like we need a title change or a new thread. This has been just the general Blizzard thread for a long time.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    there are some wc1 screenshots where its clearly only 4 units visible in the selection window

but whatever the case may be, one thing can be stated with confidence: Warcraft 1 was jank as hell.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I changed the title. If you think you can make a better one, go ahead and post it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    there are some wc1 screenshots where its clearly only 4 units visible in the selection window

but whatever the case may be, one thing can be stated with confidence: Warcraft 1 was jank as hell.
    Jank as hell by modern standards, sure. But that was also over 25 years ago.

It's kind of weird to realize that you could probably run Warcraft 1 on a wristwatch now.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Blizzard to "restore" classics: WC3 in dire shape

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It's kind of weird to realize that you could probably run Warcraft 1 on a wristwatch now.

Shit, an Apple watch is more powerful than all the PCs I used to play 90s and early 00 vidyas.

Just kinda hard to mount a Voodoo 2 inside of it tho.

Blizzard has released a WC3R patch, as promised

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-version-1321-patch-notes/19379

tl;dr, I would say this patch at least puts the game in a state where it is not an embarrassingly awful mess, fixing some, perhaps most, of the more prolific showstopper bugs

still a lot of work to do, but this an almost acceptable first step

I was thinking more like rebranding into "the Blizzard thread" in general, since it's unclear if the Classics team has any more projects, and people keep talking about miscellaneous Blizzard stuff in here anyway. I don't feel strongly about it though, just a nitpick.

the w3 thread itself doesn't get a lot of activity and I think it's best for detailed discussion about the game itself... which, there isn't much of that anyway

anything other than that seems fine for this thread

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    More like the Blizzard Drama thread.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

It was pretty jank for the time, even. Keep in mind that WC1 and WC2 came out slightly more than a year apart from each other.

I remember when WC2 released, it was the day I never played WC1 again. They are just night and day. And they were both still DOS games.

Warcraft II is still selling on GOG and probably the greatest sin I've committed in this lifetime is not snagging a copy, because it's still good as hell after all these years.

Also I feel old now.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was late to the Warcraft party back in the day. I had honestly never even heard of Warcraft 1, until after Warcraft 2 came out. But I was even late to WC2. I didn't buy-in to the series until that Warcraft Battle Chest was available, which contained WC1, WC2, and WC2 Tides of Darkness. But the worst part of all of that, there was a WC2 demo. And I played the hell out of that demo before I got the battle chest. So my introduction to the series was WC2. And then I had to go back and learn WC1 and all of its archaic ways. It was misery to play WC1, having already played the glorious WC2 demo.

But I forced myself to do it. I forced myself to play through all of the WC1 Orc and Human campaigns. I'm glad I did it once, but that's also a game I will probably never replay ever again as long as I live.

WC2 on the other hand... that game holds up.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Warcraft II wound up being the only game we were allowed to play in the computer lab after school. (The moderator justifying it by saying the strategy elements pushed it above other videogames as being okay to have in school). When I saw the battlechest in stores, I totally scooped it up and proceeded to play through war1/2/x in a go. 'course this was back when I cheated as much as possible in games, so it was basically turning on cheat codes and running through the story. I don't think I've actually ever beat those games legitimately. I have with Starcraft, War 3 and SC2 though.

Absolutey devoured those manuals though. Loved all the lore stuff, to the point where I made a fansite for the then upcoming Warcraft Adventures, which lead to a bunch of other weird stuff like me working on the unreleased Reptiles Total Conversion, and working with @Warlock82 on a Warcraft lore website for awhile.

When I was playing WC1 it was too fucking hard and I was a kid so you bet your ass I typed "There can be only one" about once per level.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    The only memory I have from WC1 was amassing a huge army of summoned scorpions and sending them to attack in a massive wave.
    Four scorpions at a time.

I don't even remember if it was successful for that mission. I doubt it.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My first actual hands on experience with Warcraft 2 was on the original Playstation. My older brother had played it at school and hyped me up on the concept a lot -- my anticipation was definitely high. We had a PC but my world of games was limited to "what's on sale at the local wal-mart" in the 90s, and were fairly poor so renting on PSX was pretty much the way in. The rental disc was super scratched and nigh unplayable, unless you played the campaign in Italian.

So that's my hardcore PC gaming cred -- Warcraft 2 on PSX in Italian.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Hey, the console versions of War2 weren't terrible! Even had some QOL improvements like build queues and increased unit selection limit.

The only memory I have from WC1 was amassing a huge army of summoned scorpions and sending them to attack in a massive wave.
    Four scorpions at a time.

I don't even remember if it was successful for that mission. I doubt it.

Some of the end missions were only beatable by constantly summoning scorpions/spiders and elementals and sending them to their deaths.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My WC1 strategy was summoning the elementals, which were OP as fuck, turning them invisible, and sneaking them into the enemy base. Back then, the victory condition was almost always "Destroy the enemy town hall" so I would just get a bunch of mages, summon a bunch of elementals, invis them, then surround the town hall, break invis, and raze it to the ground before the enemy team was able to kill the elementals.

Cheap? Yes. Do I regret using such un-gentlemanly tactics? No.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think in WC1, I did spear-throwers and catapults.

In WC2, ogre-magi with Bloodlust. Most games were just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqIVxEpQEms

H9f4bVe.png
    edited February 2020
    Someone apparently leaked out an u finished build of the original xbox version of Starcraft Ghost!

Undead Scottsman on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Someone apparently leaked out an u finished build of the original xbox version of Starcraft Ghost!

This would be really cool to check out. Was Warcraft adventures, or whatever the cancelled adventure game.way back when, ever leaked in any form?

RickRude wrote: »

This would be really cool to check out. Was Warcraft adventures, or whatever the cancelled adventure game.way back when, ever leaked in any form?

Yup, though it was on sketchy russian website so I never had the nerve to try it out. I should whip up a virtual machine at some point.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Yes, several streamers have played through it in its "entirety".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPtk-kQ-gc

It's a tonal roller coaster and I'm absolutely not surprised it was cancelled.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Dune 2 is uh... tough to get through nowadays. But what an innovation.

Dune 2000 is inside the OpenRA client, though, a project I just want to talk about.

It's a new open source engine C&C or Red Alert, Dune 2000 and Tiberian Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6uXAiTHAhI&feature=emb_logo

It works online, in LAN, and is just amaaaaaaaaaaaazing to play.

It's everything Blizzard should have done, only better, and free...

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's everything Blizzard should have done, only better, and free...

Minus the graphical asset overhaul, anyway. I say that as someone who's been pretty impressed by OpenRA for years, but there's not really confusing it with the planned HD remaster.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I would love to play this. I wonder if it's possible to find...

Yup, though it was on sketchy russian website so I never had the nerve to try it out. I should whip up a virtual machine at some point.

At the time it was legit - I played through it. Doubt those links still work though. I'm sure it's floating around the web somewhere tho :P It was... yeah, I can see why they cancelled it...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    OP updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRLrP8cLQdw

YouTube personality Rhykker has posted a video stating that a leak has been released about Diablo 2 Remastered. The game will be called Diablo 2: Resurrected and was leaked by someone who has leaked Diablo 4 and Shadowlands for Blizzcon 2019.

The game could be released on q4 of 2020, but might be delayed a little bit because the devs are working from home.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Reforged gives me low confidence, hopefully this was a separate team that has been working for years on this.

Rumor I heard was that it was Vicarious Visions behind this D2 port, who have done some pretty good remaster work in recent years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicarious_Visions

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I really don't understand the point of a D2 remake; it's not like Diablo 2 didn't age well. I feel like a diablo 3 overhaul would have made a lot more sense.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    D2 looks super pixelated these days

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Reforged gives me low confidence, hopefully this was a separate team that has been working for years on this.

Bonus points if they also disable the Diablo 2 client on release as well.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I really don't understand the point of a D2 remake; it's not like Diablo 2 didn't age well. I feel like a diablo 3 overhaul would have made a lot more sense.

But D3 looks fine? It really doesn't need a remaster. D2 looks daattteeeddd. As much as I love it, it looks very old. Which would be fine if the aesthetic had been pixel art, but it wasn't.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

But D3 looks fine? It really doesn't need a remaster. D2 looks daattteeeddd. As much as I love it, it looks very old. Which would be fine if the aesthetic had been pixel art, but it wasn't.

More like a gameplay overhaul.

D3 is a fine shell with plenty of great assets that just turned out... poorly. Lots of people still like it/play it, not saying it's objectively terrible, but activision/blizzard is obviously in the mindset of pushing games-as-a-service. I don't see the point of making Diablo Immortal, Diablo 2 Remastered, and Diablo 4 when they could just throw some talent at D3.

Take D3, throw some fancy new shaders on it, 8k texture update, redo the combat system, release simultaneously on PC, console, and mobile.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I’ll concede merit to certain complaints about d3, but combat system!? That’s like THE thing people don’t usually complain about.

Have to agree that 3 really doesn’t need a remaster, at least in the traditional sense.

Plus, in a world where we already know 4 is coming, Diablo 3mastered would only draw “but why aren’t you working on 4?!?”

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    I don't see them changing the combat feel much, but I would like improvements to the game systems. Skill rebalancing, easier respeccing, an endgame difficulty that scales every act, etc.