As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »
    I'm honestly nervous about this next one. I don't think I can handle the potential for death. D:

Well, I can think of one main character besides Dresden who survives for sure...

Heck given the Short Story we got for Christmas we know quite a few of our favorites survive
    I am pretty sure Murphy is alive, because when Harry is single, he spends a lot more time describing women.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Murphy is destined to be out recovering during the final battle at this rate, so she's due for a power upgrade.

Skin Game:
    If Butters is Batman with Bob, image what Murphy could do with Lashette. And she has a damn car.

On the other hand it seems being the only normal one is Murph's thing. She better make it out. Who are you referencing, Polaritie?
    Molly got immortality out of that mantle, presumably.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Re: Events of Skin Game leading into Peace Talks
    Bonnie aka Lil' Lash becoming involved in Dresden's conflicts would likely not sit well with me. Don't make your children into soldiers, Harry. Let them be children.

Also Lea has to know about Bonnie by now, but don't let her babysit please

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Murphy is destined to be out recovering during the final battle at this rate, so she's due for a power upgrade.

Skin Game:
    If Butters is Batman with Bob, image what Murphy could do with Lashette. And she has a damn car.

On the other hand it seems being the only normal one is Murph's thing. She better make it out. Who are you referencing, Polaritie?

See the previous holders to see how guaranteed that is...

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Skin Game:

I am going to confidently predict that neither of the known exceptions come up.

But more realistically, that wouldn't make sense from the standpoint of dramatic tension.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Well, he's not above ret-conning and is taking forever now so Butcher has his flaws. Anything is possible!

I'm a little worried
    Molly is going to go dark at least for a bit. The evil cell phone usage, her visions, Dresden can blame himself etc.

I hope I am wrong.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm honestly nervous about this next one. I don't think I can handle the potential for death. D:

It's called "Peace Talks", I mean, that has to be a positive, peaceful event where nothing can go wrong, right and everything works out for the best.

Rereads the Christmas short story.

Oh... yeah, no.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It's called "Peace Talks", I mean, that has to be a positive, peaceful event where nothing can go wrong, right and everything works out for the best.

Rereads the Christmas short story.

Oh... yeah, no.

It's just gonna be a lot of peace, and a lot of talking. RTFM, folks.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

Skin Game:

Just because you don't age does not mean you can't get killed.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    A Locked-Room murder mystery would be a classic choice given the setup.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What do you all do for re reads now? I used to do the whole series for new books, but that's getting a little unwieldy

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think part of the issue is the first two or three books don'r read so great comparatively.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    What do you all do for re reads now? I used to do the whole series for new books, but that's getting a little unwieldy

I still do all of them.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've always done the whole series the last couple times. Wondering if I maybe skip #2 though, as long as you know "the Alphas are introduced" I'm not sure anything else matters...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling you could start with Grave Peril and not miss anything assuming you've read them before.

Storm Front
    You learn that someone is empowering amatuer sorcerors. That kind of sets up the Black Circle reveal, but I don't think you need to actually read the whole thing.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I've always done the whole series the last couple times. Wondering if I maybe skip #2 though, as long as you know "the Alphas are introduced" I'm not sure anything else matters...
    The Alphas are a gang of werewolves that Harry thinks are behind the Loup-garou attacks at first, but then befriends, right?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I know they turned some of the books into graphic novels. Some of the graphic novels were original stories.

Faster than re-reading the whole novel, anyway.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    The ones based upon the books are in multiple parts for the graphic novel, I believe.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I haven't re-read a single one, and if I feel the need to be refreshed about past events in the series I look over a wiki.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Even when I had it in my head for like eight years that I shouldn't reread/rewatch things because it was a waste of my time (in part because I spent middle school and high school rereading the same 40 or so Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, and David Eddings books I had physical copies of, one per day or two), I still made a habit of rereading Dresden all the way through for each new book.

I "re-read" Skin Game at work through audiobook.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So Peace Talks is up on Amazon with a release date of July 14th.

GIVE IT TO ME!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

GIVE IT TO ME!

Hmm if I start my reread of the entire series around Easter, I should be good to go by then.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Hopefully that's not delayed like everything else.

Hope this thing sells trillions and we get another (bigger budget) TV show. Seems unlikely, but I live in hope.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Hopefully that's not delayed like everything else.

Hope this thing sells trillions and we get another (bigger budget) TV show. Seems unlikely, but I live in hope.

"Another" TV show implies that a previous attempt existed, and I'm not sure I'm willing to recognize that as a thing yet.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

GIVE IT TO ME!

It'd be nice if it got released right now cause of this whole quarantine.

*twiddles thumbs while waiting*

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's not like Butcher can even have a promotional tour

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

GIVE IT TO ME!
    "You pre-ordered this item on Feb. 4th".

Oh right :lol:

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Is the Christmas Eve story out somewhere such that I can dl it and read on my Kindle?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Is the Christmas Eve story out somewhere such that I can dl it and read on my Kindle?

It's linked on Drive from Jim's site here. It is like 8 pages. There are ways to get that on your kindle but they'll all take longer than it would to just read. (D/L, save as txt or rtf or whatever and then find your kindle's email and send it there.)

Edit: Huh, kindles will apparently read .doc and .docx files. I wonder how well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    First time I’ve ever tried to post a tweet, so apologizes if this fails.

HOWEVER, I bring glad tidings in this time of shit.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Alright sorry everyone, I need social isolation to go into September/October now. It's the only way I'll have time for both this and Cyberpunk in September.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I watched the trailer. Reaction in spoiler.
    WHAT? THE NEXT BOOK IS ALSO THIS YEAR! SQUEAL!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I watched the trailer. Reaction in spoiler.
    WHAT? THE NEXT BOOK IS ALSO THIS YEAR! SQUEAL!
    He is almost forgiven for the long delay because of this move.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I had to re-watch that ending text TWICE because I assumed I had misread.

Nope!

Awesome.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yo what the fuck

That's incredible.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    That was unexpected. I’m actually a bit shocked, but in a very good way.

I guess that info is a spoiler, but it's not story related at all so not sure it is either, but suppose I'll go with the crowd (non-story spoiler ahoy)
    Let's hope the books just aren't the shortest ones yet to pull off 2 in one year. Doesn't seem likely, but worse things have happened.

Pretty awesome news, though. Maybe he'll pick up speed again.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I guess that info is a spoiler, but it's not story related at all so not sure it is either, but suppose I'll go with the crowd (non-story spoiler ahoy)
    Let's hope the books just aren't the shortest ones yet to pull off 2 in one year. Doesn't seem likely, but worse things have happened.

Word on the subreddit is that Peace Talks was up to 400k 225k words* in the beta readers version
    before the split, which would make both of the resultant books potentially longer than any of the preceding books around the length of book 3, Summer Knight. Not sure how much might have been added after the split.

There's also a Question and Answer session, available in video form but also helpfully transcribed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/fo859p/comment/flfthja

*Edited to reflect better information from Priscilla, the lady who directed the trailer/is majorly involved in facilitating Jim's writing. Not sure what her official title is.

Tarantio on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

Word on the subreddit is that Peace Talks was up to 400k words in the beta readers version
    before the split, which would make both of the resultant books potentially longer than any of the preceding books.

There's also a Question and Answer session, available in video form but also helpfully transcribed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/fo859p/comment/flfthja

That seems like a reasonable explanation.

That video was pretty oof, other than the late reveal.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!