As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars] so you didn't send the fish Jedi immediately because...?

KetarKetar Come on upstairswe're having a partyRegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is the thread where we gather together to sing the praises of all things Star Wars.

https://youtu.be/7-t2n_jk1QM

Or to complain about how much we hate Star Wars X, Y or Z. Or get upset with each other for liking different Star Wars. Maybe not so much of these - it's exhausting.

So let's sing those Star Wars praises instead!

https://youtu.be/hEcjgJSqSRU

Do you want to talk about how much you enjoyed The Mandalorian? Awesome, but we have a separate thread for that. https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/231389/the-good-the-bad-and-the-mandalorian-open-spoilers#latest

Talk about Rebels, or The Clone Wars, or how wonderful B-Wings are here. Or whatever Star Wars floats your boat. Just be excellent to each other.

Also we are open spoilers on TROS, so be warned if you haven't seen it and somehow remain unspoiled. We will use spoiler tags for discussion of episodes of the final season of The Clone Wars until further notice. Hopefully there's a separate thread?

https://youtu.be/ZLW2jkd6E7g

Ketar on

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    B-Wings are awesome.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    B wings may be awesome, but have you considered the BT-7 Thunderclap?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm disappointed there's no D-Wing, and thus no way of making endless cheap "Give 'em the D" type laughs. The squad leader demanding the order for them attack has to be couched as "We want the D". Amusingly shaped attack formations, etc. Just a terrible missed opportunity all round.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm disappointed there's no D-Wing, and thus no way of making endless cheap "Give 'em the D" type laughs. The squad leader demanding the order for them attack has to be couched as "We want the D". Amusingly shaped attack formations, etc. Just a terrible missed opportunity all round.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/D-Wing_Space_Superiority_Fighter

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    B wings may be awesome, but have you considered the BT-7 Thunderclap?

I never played TOR. It has a certain Ebon Hawk-ness about it, though.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

That ship looks nothing like a penis, this is why people dont like the EU.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Harrison Ford makes a practice of never watching movies he’s in.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have long loved Ford's absolute commitment to not giving a shit about the lore of anything he's in. Don't ask him if he's a Force Ghost because he doesn't give a shit and doesn't know what you're talking about.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    z1d8otk6s5e6.jpeg

Still awesome.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I cannot recall what if anything B-Wings did in Rise of Skywalker. Given how brief the other nostalgia nods were, that seems about right.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Ford just acts to pay for his airplane habit

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Harrison Ford has that big JJ energy towards Star Wars.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Harrison Ford has that big JJ energy towards Star Wars.

Ford is a professional who understands it means a lot to people, but for him it was just a role.

For JJ, Star Wars means a lot, to him specifically, and in order to make a good Star Wars film, following his thought process, is to take what you remember from the other films, but make it BIGGER and MORE OF IT.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    B-Wing, Best Wing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Catching up on Rebels and just finished Season 3. Man, that show's pretty great. Wasn't sure how I felt about them using Thrawn but so far they've done a pretty good job. Maybe Star Wars should just stick to TV, so far both Rebel's and The Mandalorian are worlds better than the ST movies.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    As far fighters go, gonna have to go old school.

X gonna give it to ya.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I cannot recall what if anything B-Wings did in Rise of Skywalker. Given how brief the other nostalgia nods were, that seems about right.

Yup. like most of the ships, macguffins, plot points and background cameos, it shows up long enough to be seen and identified if you pause the movie at the right frame, and is subsequently never mentioned again.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gosh, all opinions on each movie aside (from me!) I just love this space cowboys / space WW2 / space bushido setting. It’s like some teenagers home-made roleplaying game. It’s all the toys spilling out of the box. It’s like when I made my sister’s Barbie a French spy to go along with my cheap knock-off Action Man on adventures against the evil Raphael (he was mind controlled) and sentient monster truck.

If I was a Star Wars I’d wear a blue cape and a funky helmet, and I’d shoot a blaster at a bad man, then ride off in my space ship to a planet that is just tropical coastline.

edited February 2020
    As far fighters go, gonna have to go old school.

X gonna give it to ya.

Can't think Y.

Four awesome rebel fighters, in no particular order: A, B, X, Y. Buttons on a Dreamcast and Xbox controller: A, B, X, Y. Coincidence? I think not.

Jazz on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Every version of Obi-Wan Kenobi is great. I think this is universally accepted. I also think those two statements are only true for that character alone in all of Star Wars film and television.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

The most important thing people are missing in this wiki article, is that in this fan-made(?) WEG RPG era adventure this ship is from...there is also a YT-1300 named The Doobage.

63oiqzjoeyex.jpg
    (that's the first image I found when I googled "space ship joint")

Edit: I found another! yom2pc5630yx.png

Steelhawk on
    Gosh, all opinions on each movie aside (from me!) I just love this space cowboys / space WW2 / space bushido setting. It’s like some teenagers home-made roleplaying game. It’s all the toys spilling out of the box. It’s like when I made my sister’s Barbie a French spy to go along with my cheap knock-off Action Man on adventures against the evil Raphael (he was mind controlled) and sentient monster truck.

If I was a Star Wars I’d wear a blue cape and a funky helmet, and I’d shoot a blaster at a bad man, then ride off in my space ship to a planet that is just tropical coastline.

That reminds me of Flash Gordon.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Every version of Obi-Wan Kenobi is great. I think this is universally accepted. I also think those two statements are only true for that character alone in all of Star Wars film and television.

Eh in the prequels he was a total chump for someone who's suppsoed to be a Jedi Master

like literally wrong about everything

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

It's also just generally ugly and stupid as shit.

Which, again, why people don't like the EU.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Eh in the prequels he was a total chump for someone who's suppsoed to be a Jedi Master

like literally wrong about everything

Who, in the prequels, was right about anything? Shmee I guess. Well, she claimed virgin birth for Anakin, so maybe not.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    shryke wrote: »

I can't really argue with that.

But I will say that the Kyle Katarn (still Legends), the TIE Defender (now canon), Thawn (now canon), Interdictor Cruisers (now canon) and Mandaloreans in general (now canon) and I'm a bunch more awesome things I can cite were all at one time EU/Legends material.

Steelhawk on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

Many of the EU ships are ugly or boring as hell. The E-Wing is generic as all hell. It kind of looks like a shittier version of Colonial Vipers from BSG. The K-Wing? Ugly, overdesigned, and they really fucking shoehorned the K in there.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Shmee was a whore.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    Six wrote: »
    Shmee was a whore.

Shmee had bad sex-ed classes and thought that you couldn’t get pregnant if you had a three-way with an Ithorian involved

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    What letters haven't gotten Wings in something?
    Obi-Wan's fighter in AotC with the big detachable hyperdrive should have been the O Wing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Many of the EU ships are ugly or boring as hell. The E-Wing is generic as all hell. It kind of looks like a shittier version of Colonial Vipers from BSG. The K-Wing? Ugly, overdesigned, and they really fucking shoehorned the K in there.

I’ve never been able to make the Sun Crusher register as a ship in my brain.

At most, a brass waffle cone.

Six wrote: »
    Shmee was a whore.

Bruh

klemming wrote: »
    Obi-Wan's fighter in AotC with the big detachable hyperdrive should have been the O Wing.

Is the millennium falcon basically a Q wing?

What kind of Qs you making with mandibles?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

After looking both of these up, the K-wing is definitely ugly and overdesigned but the actual "looks like a k" wings are basically the only part I like.

Atomika wrote: »
    I’ve never been able to make the Sun Crusher register as a ship in my brain.

At most, a brass waffle cone.

I appreciate the attempt to do something weird and different but it does not work.

After looking both of these up, the K-wing is definitely ugly and overdesigned but the actual "looks like a k" wings are basically the only part I like.

In a vacuum the K is fine, maybe even neat, but I can just feel the person who invented it starting from "Okay I have to put a K in this ship, how do I do that?" The space engineers aren't trying to fit the letters into it for fun. The B-Wing doesn't look like a B, and the E-Wing doesn't look like an E, which is at least something I can respect it for. Even the A-Wing only incidentally looks like an A. It looks like a small fast space ship, everything about the frame/shape/silhouette is reasonable.

It would also make sense that the ships aren't actually named that, they would have normal ass names and then the pilots would give them those names colloquially. The Z-95 isn't called the Z or the T-Wing or whatever the hell, it has a regular ship name. Like how Rebel pilots call TIE Fighters "eyeballs" or Interceptors "squints." You'd expect the X-Wing to be officially the T-65 Quadfire Space Superiority fighter or something but nobody except for Incom sales reps call it that.

What kind of Qs you making with mandibles?

e74cfc7e06b00ef4e1c232df3e50a5cb.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't know, from a dorsal view, the E-wing does look rather like an E (at least as much as a K-wing looks like a K from a certain point of view).

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Every time I see this thread title I hear Bill Murray now. I'm convinced 20 years from now I'll be watching a Star Wars movie, unable to get the image of Bill Murray out of my head, and have no idea why.

This discussion has been closed.