As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Have fun, let us know your reaction!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Just finished em! They were awesome! The jamming/boost mechanic in the first mission was cool. The naval raid 2nd mission was definitely my favorite! I adore missions like that. All the mini side-objectives to take out evacuating leaders was cool, too. Having that brief window at the start where you could attack before they'd respond was really neat and let you wipe out tons of enemies that were huddled together with bombs. The 3rd mission was fun, too. Lots of great radio chatter a good variety of objectives. The sub ended up being a fun boss that wasn't too hard.

Anyway, DLC missions: Highly Recommended!

Also, the story stuff with David and the computer inbetween was fun. And surprisingly stylish!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Just finished em! They were awesome! The jamming/boost mechanic in the first mission was cool. The naval raid 2nd mission was definitely my favorite! I adore missions like that. All the mini side-objectives to take out evacuating leaders was cool, too. Having that brief window at the start where you could attack before they'd respond was really neat and let you wipe out tons of enemies that were huddled together with bombs. The 3rd mission was fun, too. Lots of great radio chatter a good variety of objectives. The sub ended up being a fun boss that wasn't too hard.

Also, the story stuff with David and the computer inbetween was fun. And surprisingly stylish!

Is there any "Death Star 2 tunnel" missions in the DLC?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Nope! First one's pretty much all air combat, second one is mostly ground/naval destruction, third one is a boss fight. No tunnels :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Nope! First one's pretty much all air combat, second one is mostly ground/naval destruction, third one is a boss fight. No tunnels :D

The DLC is absolutely 'Ace Combat Greatest Hits'. So much killer, very little filler.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Specifically quasi-remakes of Desert Lightning from AC5, Invincible Fleet from AC4 with a boss from from AC0, and the Scinfaxi/Hrimfaxi boss fight from AC5.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    After touching on our discussions of Ace Combat Assault horizon earlier, I decided to redownload it and play it again on steam to kind of figure out what the hate was about it and I can definitely tell what some of the major ones are right off the bat. The "Dog Fight Mode" while cool from a gimmick/cinematic perspective falls apart once you realize that it actually railroads you in specific "cinematic moments" no matter what you do. Particularly with "Leads" or mini aces I guess. I realized how much I started hating that mode when nearly everytime you had to fight a lead, you had to engage DFM to fight them as they would nearly 99% of the time dodge your missiles and guns otherwise. Couple that with the fact that there would be several scripted moments where you'd be forced to watch them shoot off a missile that would careen off into a crane or building etc, no matter how many missiles you shoot up their ass while peppering them with your guns when regular mooks could be taken down in 1-2 missiles otherwise. It becomes worse later on in the game as you go up against named enemies and no matter how good you are in DFM, they will evade in ways that are just stupid, simply to showcase how "good" these enemy pilots are.

The story was definitely bog standard, but not necessarily terrible. It's definitely very Tom Clancyesque paint by the numbers military conspiracy shenanigans, but game mechanics, particularly the implementation of DFM really soured me on the whole experience. Like, I've now replayed Ace 7 at least 4-5 times and yet after replaying AH now, I don't have any desire to replay it again after this trip down memory lane.

Also it frustrates me how long it took me to figure out how to turn off "Optimum" flight settings in this game. I struggled so badly with how the planes were handling before I realized that optimum is AH's version of training wheels and completely borks the handling characteristics of Ace Combat that i'm used to. The fact it's turned on by default was just a further cherry on top of how this game frustrated me to no end.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    No one likes Dog Fight Mode. Literally no one. I dare someone actually claim they liked it after playing the whole game.

And I say this someone who, from the demo, thought DFM was going to be the game's saving grace. Because Namco clearly thought it was going to be based on 1) the very obvious artistic and technical effort that went into it and 2) their decision to make it a mandatory component of engagements in every single mission. I thought it looked cool--it took playing it more than in the demo to realize, "Oh god, this may look cool, but is terrible to actually play."

Namco might've been right. So much of the rest of the game is actually kind of forgettable--boring story, boring-er characters, most boring superweapons--next to DFM. It's just because DFM is terrible. The Project Aces people have constantly tried to answer the question, "Okay, how do we make specific encounters more difficult--at a minimal amount of effort, because we're going to rely on this a lot--besides 'They turn way faster than you do'?" which has been the answer since LucasArts and TIE Fighter. DFM was the cool-looking and terrible answer.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    What killed the game for me, was an instance where I was forced into DFM mode, and because I lost control of my jet in DFM mode, I was unable to pull up and crashed into the ground chasing another jet flying low.

The realistic world was also super boring and so cliché. Of course we're going to have missions in desert third world countries, retreading the same old boring crap. The only thing I like was being able to fly the B2 stealth bomber. But the whole DFM stuff was garbage. Even worse for players who like to play exclusively in cockpit view, which is me.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I stand by my opinion that the game is bad.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

It is a game that has some good ideas that are implemented very poorly, and the change in setting was a bad choice. Music's great, though.

Playing through AC7 again, and all I can think is how much it needs a theater mode for replays. I wish I could rewind and pause the replay so I can get that perfect screenshot.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    What killed the game for me, was an instance where I was forced into DFM mode, and because I lost control of my jet in DFM mode, I was unable to pull up and crashed into the ground chasing another jet flying low.

The realistic world was also super boring and so cliché. Of course we're going to have missions in desert third world countries, retreading the same old boring crap. The only thing I like was being able to fly the B2 stealth bomber. But the whole DFM stuff was garbage. Even worse for players who like to play exclusively in cockpit view, which is me.

Dogfighting between Dubai skyscrapers isn't what I'd call a cliched desert mission, but views are views.
    A big chunk of Assault Horizon however went into Infinity, and Infinity is the core of AC7.
    Also it's worth saying, a fair number of TGT leads can be shot down with normal weapons, they have 2x-3x the health of normal planes and can tank a whole special weapons volley. But you can do it.

On the AC7 front, wow I forgot how much better cruise missiles are in this game. Against naval targets, they fly fast enough and hit hard enough to break though CWIS. And when they hit they hit like a sledgehammer.

It is a game that has some good ideas that are implemented very poorly, and the change in setting was a bad choice. Music's great, though.

Playing through AC7 again, and all I can think is how much it needs a theater mode for replays. I wish I could rewind and pause the replay so I can get that perfect screenshot.

Good music does not a good AC entry make. Or even a mediocre one. It makes a for a good OST though.

In retrospect, I've been kind of disappointed by the optimization of the UE4 engine by Project Aces even on the higher end consoles. Volumetric clouds and weather effects are great, don't get me wrong, but struggling to keep 60 FPS even at 1080p is kind of a bummer. Maybe it's better optimized on PC. I'm hoping that when the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X are out, we might get a resolution improvement patch but....I'm not holding my breath.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Dogfighting between Dubai skyscrapers isn't what I'd call a cliched desert mission, but views are views.
    A big chunk of Assault Horizon however went into Infinity, and Infinity is the core of AC7.
    Also it's worth saying, a fair number of TGT leads can be shot down with normal weapons, they have 2x-3x the health of normal planes and can tank a whole special weapons volley. But you can do it.

On the AC7 front, wow I forgot how much better cruise missiles are in this game. Against naval targets, they fly fast enough and hit hard enough to break though CWIS. And when they hit they hit like a sledgehammer.

Oh god yeah, it was so shocking the first time I used the LASMs on ship targets in the Northern Fleet mission and watch them one shot cruisers and two shot aircraft carriers. I can see why they offset that power with absolutely abysmal maneuvering performance but I figure it's worth the tradeoff.

Synthesis wrote: »

Good music does not a good AC entry make. Or even a mediocre one. It makes a for a good OST though.

In retrospect, I've been kind of disappointed by the optimization of the UE4 engine by Project Aces even on the higher end consoles. Volumetric clouds and weather effects are great, don't get me wrong, but struggling to keep 60 FPS even at 1080p is kind of a bummer. Maybe it's better optimized on PC. I'm hoping that when the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X are out, we might get a resolution improvement patch but....I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, I'm so glad that their use of the UE Engine was not as terrible as other uses of the Engine where there are clipping issues, hit detection and other malfunctions that distract from the game.

oosik_betsuni.png

Honestly, I'm so glad that their use of the UE Engine was not as terrible as other uses of the Engine where there are clipping issues, hit detection and other malfunctions that distract from the game.

Namco just isn't good at it so far. SoulCalibur 6 is competent, but a lot less impressive when you realized they've imported low-poly models from two games ago on Xbox 360, and the primary improvement to the actual stages is...lighting.

Namco just isn't good at it so far. SoulCalibur 6 is competent, but a lot less impressive when you realized they've imported low-poly models from two games ago on Xbox 360, and the primary improvement to the actual stages is...lighting.

You should play (or look at) the problems in Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order for some really bad errors.

oosik_betsuni.png

You should play (or look at) the problems in Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order for some really bad errors.

That's actually pretty interesting. I haven't played JFO (I'll wait till it comes to Game Pass), but I have heard about the numerous level geometry glitches reminiscent of those in games like Dark Souls typically have worn as badges of honor (or never really bothered to fix in any case). But I'd forgotten it was UE4. Ironically, Frostbite is very well optimized by comparison, at least on Xbox One X, but that doesn't mean it's suitable for a game like JFO.

It'd make stuff like the tunnel levels impossible if they got that wrong.

On my second replay, I think AC7 has the best soundtrack to date for quality of each individual song.

That's actually pretty interesting. I haven't played JFO (I'll wait till it comes to Game Pass), but I have heard about the numerous level geometry glitches reminiscent of those in games like Dark Souls typically have worn as badges of honor (or never really bothered to fix in any case). But I'd forgotten it was UE4. Ironically, Frostbite is very well optimized by comparison, at least on Xbox One X, but that doesn't mean it's suitable for a game like JFO.

Geometry quirks (and some edge-case animation quirks) asside, JFO was an incredible game.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Talk bad about our Lord and Savior Cal Kestis and I'll Cal-cut you.

In other news, I've been having a lot of fun with my new HOTAS setup.

https://youtu.be/3sf8EP8yPec

If the camera cuts are too jarring I have a diff vid that is a bit smoother I can upload.

Edit: notice that almost 90 degree turn and climb I did on a dime right before hitting the ground? Thats the power of HOTAS right there.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I know I clicked "awesome" on the video, but I'm actually a little disappointed it's just skins. I'm happy for any content AC7 gets but skins isn't really that cool for me.

I also wish Project Aces would remove the multiplayer achievements from AC 7. The online population in this game is so low on PC that it will be impossible for me to get the achievements or the special skin unlocks.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    REMAKE 4, 5 AND 0 YOU COWARDS!

Stabbity_Style.png

In vr.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

In vr.

If playing AC7 VR on my PS4 pro showed me anything, it's that 4, 5, and 0 would basically look pretty much the same in VR (and those were some plain maps in AC7VR; no idea how the PS4 would handle cities). I just don't know if the ROI would be in place for something like this. I'd love it, don't get me wrong. The AC7 VR was awesome, but it's rather niche audience. The only way I'd see full Ace Combat in VR would be if Sony or Valve paid them for content with their systems.

I played AC5 again when I got it for free with AC7 and it works just fine for me. I'd say I wouldn't even need a remake of them, just remasters of all 3 (plus AC6) available on all consoles.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »

In vr.

If playing AC7 VR on my PS4 pro showed me anything, it's that 4, 5, and 0 would basically look pretty much the same in VR (and those were some plain maps in AC7VR; no idea how the PS4 would handle cities). I just don't know if the ROI would be in place for something like this. I'd love it, don't get me wrong. The AC7 VR was awesome, but it's rather niche audience. The only way I'd see Ace Combat in VR would be if Sony or Valve paid them for content with their systems.

I played AC5 again when I got it for free with AC7 and it works just fine for me. I'd say I wouldn't even need a remake of them, just remasters of all 3 (plus AC6) available on all consoles.

I want them to release the vr missions on PC already too.

Yeah, I'd love for them to open up to the modding community on PC along with VR. I don't doubt we'd see folks taking full advantage of PC's for upgrading textures and such.

Seriously, I'd buy the remastered copies of these in a heartbeat. I have a feeling they could be set up as releases for the next round of consoles. Would fill out the Ps5's launch library or early launch library nicely. (Wouldn't also mind a pc remaster release of 6 too since I never played that one on the xbox)

Trajan45 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd love for them to open up to the modding community on PC along with VR. I don't doubt we'd see folks taking full advantage of PC's for upgrading textures and such.

So many waifu plane skins.

edited June 2020
    We built this series on Waifus and missiles.
    Húxiān is best girl for the record.

manwiththemachinegun on
    And hey look: Project Wingman update!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SUea_Gl5Is
    Add it to Steam Wishlist if you haven't already, competition is always good for the genre.

edited June 2020
    If you don't think your PC is up to it/don't care to buy it on Steam, Project Wingman also got a spot on an ID@Xbox a month ago.

https://youtu.be/w1Q_E4QE0bo?t=174

EDIT: Go to 2:58 if the shortcut doesn't work.

I'm sure it'll come to as many consoles as can handle it, but it's nice seeing an Ace Combat alternative getting marketed in a new venue.

Synthesis on
    Wait, is this the same one that was on Kickstarter a few years ago or another game with the same name?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Same game, it's basically a one or two person team.

edited July 2020
    Just finished all the DLC missions. Interesting for sure. I was playing on Easy and failed multiple times. The difficulty is tuned a bit high lol. Overall though it was fun. I liked David's character. I tested out the new planes which were interesting. I noticed your allied AI was pretty decent as well. I'd get 1 hit on a plane and one of them would finish it off. The Alicorn was a cool super weapon.

Kind of was lost on the story a bit:

It's been a while since I played the main campaign. For some reason I thought this was like AC4 and it was USEA and Erusea since it was on the Usea continent. Forgot all about Osea lol. I was like, why does he want to bomb their capital?

Also what was all the 'sensual' stuff?

Trajan45 on
    edited August 2020
    Glad you liked it!
    David is giving his AI Alex parameters to try to narrow down a list of targets based on his past. Torres is obsessed with the glory of war and death, since Mobius-1 crushed his battleship during the Continental war. Since he's way into murder, David tells Alex to think less logically, more carnally.
    Ace Combat 7 is the first time we've seen the Usean continent go to war with the Osean.
    The thing is, your allies' abilities to down targets is based on the mission they're in. If you notice, in the big open warzone ones, they'll consistently down enemies. In the small, specialized maps, their damaged is capped to make sure the player always has targets to destroy. I've tested this extensively. You're noticing it more since all of the missions in the DLC are the warzone type. The same applies to allied ground units!

manwiththemachinegun on
    We can have more Ace Combat while we're waiting for more Ace Combat. 2021.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGBqtrAyRPI

I don't know. The title "Project Wingman" is a huge turn off. I like that they're trying to insert lively VO, but the graphics look OK and there's really nothing in that trailer that suggests a story. Most likely going to be a pass for me.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    We built this series on Waifus and missiles.
    Húxiān is best girl for the record.

I stand by the Idolm@ster skins as being the best thing the series has ever produced.

u39i5nmahrr0.png

wVEsyIc.png