As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Tox wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Just rent a normal car.

This was probably cheaper

Last time I looked at taking an app-based car share on an out of town trip, it was way pricier and they wanted you to preplan the trip with them.

Weaver on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yes, I do, thank you for asking

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    It’s that last one that gets me
    Pushes it over the edge from “not completely thought through” into “an actively malicious user experience”

The gig economy is in dire need of some civil disobedience

Stuff like this is why people are actively against self driving vehicles or EVs etc.

Like, there's a constant assumption for a lot of IoT consumer tech that you have 100% great gigafiber bullshit

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Like, there's a constant assumption for a lot of IoT consumer tech that you have 100% great gigafiber bullshit

There's a shitload of oblivious "What? We have bandwidth here in Silicon Valley, why don't you?" about the whole Google Stadia thing.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm ok. So lets say I have decided I want to get into 3D printing, mostly for making D&D Miniatures. Whats a good place I can learn about what sorts of stuff I should look for in a good printer?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm ok. So lets say I have decided I want to get into 3D printing, mostly for making D&D Miniatures. Whats a good place I can learn about what sorts of stuff I should look for in a good printer?

@Radiation

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    There’s also a dedicated 3d printer thread in Moe’s. Lots of great info and its pretty lively.

I would plan to budget about $500 to get going. Theres lots of good printers in the $300-500 range that will make minis with a good resolution.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Just rent a normal car.

Seriously, this is straight up #BayArea things.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Bucketman wrote: »

all3dp.com is a decent place to start, and this guy on youtube has gone through a lot of printers and reviewed them, too.

edit -- turns out he just did a video about making miniatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpbW2DBf9uE

djmitchella on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Unfortunately Angus chose a really ass-looking model to compare against a molded one.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am helping an Old (my father) set up a new iPhone and it’s like pulling out your own nose hair but less fun

“It says go to ‘settings’ and turn off ‘find my iPhone’. What does that mean”
    “It means go to settings and turn off find my iPhone.”
    “Now it wants my Apple ID and password!”
    “Do you know those things?”
    “Yes!”
    “Then ... type them in?”

not for the first time, I'm glad my dad knows more about tech shit than I do

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    When I left home, at least my brother was around to help with old folks tech shit. When my brother left, at least my sister is still there.

Heaven help me once she bails.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I wonder if the current folks will be tech savvy enough for the kids in the future if the planet didn't explode in 20 years time

Peas on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I won't be able afford the rent on the future tech so I'll probably never use it

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I wonder if the current folks will be tech savvy enough for the kids in the future if the planet didn't explode in 20 years time

I do feel like millenials+ have a sort of familiarity with new technology that previous generations seem to lack, or at least we're a little bit more willing to play around with clicking the Settings menu or whatever without being afraid that there's a hidden "Break Everything Forever" button somewhere.

Like it seems like people my parents age think I have this magical ability to instinctively know how all tech works, when really it's mostly me asking myself "Does this piece of tech actually do the thing they want? If so, what's the most likely way to find and activate that function?" plus Googling.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    In their defense, a lot of 70s/80s tech did have user-accessible "lol this will break all your shit" buttons. They didn't really start hiding that until Windows 95.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    In their defense, a lot of 70s/80s tech did have user-accessible "lol this will break all your shit" buttons. They didn't really start hiding that until Windows 95.

What even the fuck is win32.exe I need this 12kb of space

• Options
    Yea back when command lines ruled the earth, it was like working on cars with carburetors for most folks. You had to have a good understanding of how everything functioned or you could fuck it up right quick.

Now everything is easy and the only maintenance you have to do is change your oil every 10k.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

What even the fuck is win32.exe I need this 12kb of space

You joke, but I had a friend do this back in high school. "Windows folder? Don't need that!"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea back when command lines ruled the earth, it was like working on cars with carburetors for most folks. You had to have a good understanding of how everything functioned or you could fuck it up right quick.

Now everything is easy and the only maintenance you have to do is change your oil every 10k.

Please do not put oil in your computer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I am helping an Old (my father) set up a new iPhone and it’s like pulling out your own nose hair but less fun

“Yes!”
    “Then ... type them in?”

My father was involved in the development of... something computer related in the seventies and claims that the tech level of that time is all that is required, which is why he never needs to update his understanding or learn more than six Unix commands.

It is a very Dad argument.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Bucketman if you're looking at buying a machine, some of the cheaper machines need more care and feeding of the machine. I got a prusa which is the more expensive hobby machine, but I also new it would just work for the most part. I also got my Santee this year a cheaper ender 3 and watching them work against the machine has been neat to see but also makes me glad I don't have to out that kind of work in. The cheap machines are great though to get into the hobby.

Thingiverse has a great repository of models up for printing. There are different services that you can use to create miniatures to print, or you can start modeling them yourself.

If you want me to run a few prints and send you some results if be happy to do that if you cover shipping. That way you can see what the end result looks like for hours of machine time. Though that won't be a this month thing as I'm doing some work travel this week.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

“Yes!”
    “Then ... type them in?”

My father was involved in the development of... something computer related in the seventies and claims that the tech level of that time is all that is required, which is why he never needs to update his understanding or learn more than six Unix commands.

It is a very Dad argument.

I mean, if you want to get super pedantic, and insert "technically" liberally, he's right. Technically. If he was working in a Turing-complete system.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    @Radiation thanks! I posted in the Moe's 3D print thread, but I was looking at the Anycubic Photon, one of the guys I like who posts his custom minis on Reddit a lot says he mostly uses that, and its only $260 which seems pretty reasonable.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Please do not put oil in your computer.

What about mineral oil cooling systems?

https://youtu.be/Eub39NaC4rc

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time believing that systems like that are worth the hassle

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Why is the fan spinning?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    my understanding is that mineral oil setups are definitely just for novelty value

• Options
    I have a hard time believing that systems like that are worth the hassle

They totally aren’t. You do it because you can, and you want to show off.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Why is the fan spinning?

Ventilation. Duh.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    To speed up system churn.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've seen instances where the liquid cooling proved less than sealed and the entire machine went up in smoke

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    my understanding is that mineral oil setups are definitely just for novelty value

Mineral oil has almost 6 times the thermal conductivity and 1000 times the heat capacity of air. There is significant power savings to be had since you don't need cooling fans and the fluid circulation required is so much less than air. That's a significant cost savings at datacenter scales, though harder to offset at the desktop level. Both of those also means the system is nearly silent (the external heat exchanger notwithstanding), which is good for both home and datacenter. For datacenters, the better cooling capacity means you can pack more servers into the same space. It allows the entire system to stay at a stable temperature so you avoid differential thermal cycling of individual components which can lead to board failures. And it keeps the equipment free from dust buildup that can cause cooling problems and damage.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    you do want some circulation in an immersion system but you'd use a pump for that

Immersion systems sorta made sense 15-20 years ago when you had tasks that needed extremely high frequency computing rather than parallelism. It's a somewhat effective way of consistently distributing heat across the entire volume of the immersion container, but it does have the problem that in a lot of cases you wouldn't have enough surface area for the oil to cool down, and as a result the entire immersion would slowly heat up, until again you'd run into overheating problems. The problem there was that it could take hours for the oil to cool down.

You can another tank to circulate cool oil in, but that also takes up more space and has higher chances of mechanical failure.

Ultimately thought the real problem was the mess. There will always be leaks, there will always be spills, there will always be some internal cable that needs to be plugged/unplugged and requires you to pull the entire system apart.

Neither I or my carpet would recommend it to any home users, unless your end goal is to just fiddle around with your computer parts, rather than using them to you know.... compute stuff.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Mineral oil has almost 6 times the thermal conductivity and 1000 times the heat capacity of air. There is significant power savings to be had since you don't need cooling fans and the fluid circulation required is so much less than air. That's a significant cost savings at datacenter scales, though harder to offset at the desktop level. Both of those also means the system is nearly silent (the external heat exchanger notwithstanding), which is good for both home and datacenter. For datacenters, the better cooling capacity means you can pack more servers into the same space. It allows the entire system to stay at a stable temperature so you avoid differential thermal cycling of individual components which can lead to board failures. And it keeps the equipment free from dust buildup that can cause cooling problems and damage.

The main thing is space savings with none of the homebrew systems seem to take advantage of.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I've seen instances where the liquid cooling proved less than sealed and the entire machine went up in smoke

I always want to scoff at liquid cooling and then I remember I once stuck an UP-board in a bucket of ice to try and get through a particularly gnarly installation process without it shutting itself off (it worked but overall I would not recommend the brand tbh)
    In my defence, that did not look cyberpunk, it looked hacky and awful, as it should.

• Options
    You don't need oil, you just need better airflow.
    0uwy8ehp57oq.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What in the hell am I looking at

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You don't need oil, you just need better airflow.
    0uwy8ehp57oq.png

how did you get a photo of my rig?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.