As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    I've seen instances where the liquid cooling proved less than sealed and the entire machine went up in smoke

I always want to scoff at liquid cooling and then I remember I once stuck an UP-board in a bucket of ice to try and get through a particularly gnarly installation process without it shutting itself off (it worked but overall I would not recommend the brand tbh)
    In my defence, that did not look cyberpunk, it looked hacky and awful, as it should.

Mineral oil is non-conductive so you can't short stuff out like you can with a water-cooled setup.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think there's a small chance Tynic already knows that

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah but it gets just everywhere

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Believe I'll just use mineral oil to keep my mineral collection oiled up, just like it says on the can.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You don't need oil, you just need better airflow.
    0uwy8ehp57oq.png

Bonus: hang it over your baby's crib to keep them entertained

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    doesn't mineral oil slowly climb all the cables you put into it so eventually it's just a messy nightmare.

i thought i remember reading that about those setups at some point.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    doesn't mineral oil slowly climb all the cables you put into it so eventually it's just a messy nightmare.

i thought i remember reading that about those setups at some point.

not really if you cable carefully, but you'll still get messes anyway

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm just thankful the water cooling for my CPU hasn't faltered at all in the nearly..three years? I think I've had this rig. Also the case I have does a very good job of filtering dust. Just gotta blow off the outside covers every now & then, but not much dust actually gets inside.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I've seen instances where the liquid cooling proved less than sealed and the entire machine went up in smoke

I always want to scoff at liquid cooling and then I remember I once stuck an UP-board in a bucket of ice to try and get through a particularly gnarly installation process without it shutting itself off (it worked but overall I would not recommend the brand tbh)
    In my defence, that did not look cyberpunk, it looked hacky and awful, as it should.

Mineral oil is non-conductive so you can't short stuff out like you can with a water-cooled setup.

How is Pepto-bismol?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I run a custom open loop watercooling setup in my PC. It was a colossal expense for the level of performance over AIO watercooling solutions. As such, it's very much an enthusiast thing, but designing, building, and using it is incredibly fun.

Mine is a little overdue for it's yearly drain, flush, clean, and refill. It's kind of a pain to due and will eat up the better part of a weekend. Still, I got myself into this and it'll give me a chance to change the color of the fluid and maybe change the design of the loop a little bit.

Pardon the janky LED strip. I can't see if from where the computer sits, but it looks pretty bad from head on. I need to come up with something to hide it or just pony up for a set of RBG fans, but that's $100 I have better uses for.

juNLf8r.jpg

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    There is literally zero chance a mineral oil rig makes any goddamn sense for any user, except in the "because I wanted to see if I could do it" sense.

Even open loop water cooling only really makes sense for a very small subset of users.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    In theory you can get a really high heat capacity if you use some low boiling point organic molecule and actually use the state change of boiling.

This allows for very dense packing of equipment and for very optimal power use, since if set up right the convection takes care of all the circulation.

It also looks cool (for a certain value of cool) since those type of coolants tend to boil with very small bubbles, pretty much directly showing how much work is being done.

Still, real expensive, total custom and I don't know a use case that needs those requirements.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hell, my AIO 280mm radiator can’t transfer heat from the (9900K) CPU die to the radiator fast enough when running flat out with prime95 small FFTs, AVX2. I’m exceeding the max TDP of the CPU at that point of course. The radiator fluid isn’t even gaining that much heat, the problem is the thermal interface between the water block and the CPU die. Unless you’re going to de-lid it, lap the block, etc...an AIO is as good as any reasonable enthusiast really needs t go.

Orca on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My computer is cooled with... A fan

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    There is literally zero chance a mineral oil rig makes any goddamn sense for any user, except in the "because I wanted to see if I could do it" sense.

Even open loop water cooling only really makes sense for a very small subset of users.

yeah water cooling has become much less of a pain in the ass in the past ~10 years, the parts aren't as difficult to come by and it's easy enough to install that i'd recommend it for enthusiasts

mineral oil... honestly outside of people who are selling compute services and are cooling elaborate servers with it, i'm not sure i can think of a case where it would be a practical solution

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    What if you cooled your computer with fuckin' tachyons though?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That would be tacky.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    What in the hell am I looking at

a functioning personal computer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    What in the hell am I looking at

A mobile PC

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It’s that last one that gets me
    Pushes it over the edge from “not completely thought through” into “an actively malicious user experience”

The gig economy is in dire need of some civil disobedience

Stuff like this is why people are actively against self driving vehicles or EVs etc.

Like, there's a constant assumption for a lot of IoT consumer tech that you have 100% great gigafiber bullshit

Google Stadia works absolutely fantastic if you are situated in their head office in California.

So it should work totally fine in Wherethefuckami, Montana, right?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It’s that last one that gets me
    Pushes it over the edge from “not completely thought through” into “an actively malicious user experience”

The gig economy is in dire need of some civil disobedience

Stuff like this is why people are actively against self driving vehicles or EVs etc.

Like, there's a constant assumption for a lot of IoT consumer tech that you have 100% great gigafiber bullshit

Google Stadia works absolutely fantastic if you are situated in their head office in California.

So it should work totally fine in Wherethefuckami, Montana, right?

They actually have good internet in Wherethefuckami, it's Missoula that sucks.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    In their defense, a lot of 70s/80s tech did have user-accessible "lol this will break all your shit" buttons. They didn't really start hiding that until Windows 95.

Is your CPU 64 bit? If so, you can really speed up your computer by deleting the "system32" folder on your hard drive!

(In case you are unaware, am joking, absolutely DO NOT do this ever)

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    my understanding is that mineral oil setups are definitely just for novelty value

Mineral oil has almost 6 times the thermal conductivity and 1000 times the heat capacity of air. There is significant power savings to be had since you don't need cooling fans and the fluid circulation required is so much less than air. That's a significant cost savings at datacenter scales, though harder to offset at the desktop level. Both of those also means the system is nearly silent (the external heat exchanger notwithstanding), which is good for both home and datacenter. For datacenters, the better cooling capacity means you can pack more servers into the same space. It allows the entire system to stay at a stable temperature so you avoid differential thermal cycling of individual components which can lead to board failures. And it keeps the equipment free from dust buildup that can cause cooling problems and damage.

If your mineral-oil cooled home gaming p.c. heat exchanger is large enough, it won't need fans. Just use like an actual truck radiator and you can get away with just a sumberged (and thus silent) fluid pump.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My computer is cooled with... A fan

I have some ladies keeping mine cooled with palm tree fronds.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My new work laptop is so locked down, I don't think I can install a browser.

I'll be forced to use windows 10 EDGE.

It's not....horrible I guess?

• Options
    I don't know why they lock things down so much. It just makes people work harder to work around it.

My work laptop, I'm a local admin so I can install anything (kinda have to be, too hard to do my job if I need to get permission to install things). And yet, the windows store is locked out. So I can installed whatever nonsense from whatever site I want, but I can't install stuff from the curated and checked app store that actually has some oversight on what's available. Go figure.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    A lot of it is licensing, as license integration between different instances of an app (regular vs windows store) is currently a challenge. The general answer to why most don't get local admin is "users can't be trusted".
    Also a lot of inadvertent stuff, as we've even had to lock down certain BI visualizations as they pass your data through a third party for processing.

• Options
    I got my birthday present today! I had a R.A.T. 7 mouse that I got way back in like 2012 that worked flawlessly up until last year whereupon the scroll wheel kicked the bucket, then the sensor started acting a bit weird occasionally and the right mouse button started double-clicking sometimes.
    So I've been using a $5 Dell piece of shit mouse I had in my box o' spares since about mid year, until my partner Amy ordered me a new R.A.T. 8 mouse last month for my birthday. It got here the other day but she wasn't home so I checked inside the postage box to make sure it was the correct item and left it until she got home from site so she could give it to me properly herself.
    According to the internet the old models were wildly unreliable because the sensor and buttons were all terrible cheap nasty garbage, but the new models have rather high quality sensors and buttons, so this one should definitely outlast the old one, which is nice because it's buttery smooth and ridiculously comfortable to use.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    My new work laptop is so locked down, I don't think I can install a browser.

I'll be forced to use windows 10 EDGE.

It's not....horrible I guess?

Nah, now that Edge is just Chrome, it's pretty good.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The datacenter mineral oil setups are fucking crazy.

Just like 30 servers in this weird ass tub-esque vat filled with mineral oil. Imaging having to maintain it... clean room is definitely the way to go with that shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Just like 30 servers in this weird ass tub-esque vat filled with mineral oil. Imaging having to maintain it... clean room is definitely the way to go with that shit.

Okay now it sounds cyberpunk as fuck

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I'm just picturing a tub with computer parts and right next to it a cylinder of bacta fluid with a person in it like Luke on Hoth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea but next to that you need your cybergrunge shit with computers just built into old fridges.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    pimento wrote: »
    Yea but next to that you need your cybergrunge shit with computers just built into old fridges.

Dieselpunk! Valve computers powered by diesel gensets, surrounded by shelves and shelves of carefully-arranged and labelled boxes of punch cards.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

I'm just picturing a tub with computer parts and right next to it a cylinder of bacta fluid with a person in it like Luke on Hoth.

That's right, boys, mondo cool

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I’ve stuck with Intel processors for a long time. It’s my go-to brand when building a computer for myself. Anyway, my i7-9700k went bad. I don’t know how, but I all but confirmed it by swapping another Intel processor into the slot and immediately it started working like it was supposed to.
    The 9700k was less than a year old so I opened a warranty claim with Intel, fully detailed, and answered all their questions. Finally they agree the CPU was bad and they ask for my shipping address. I have them two: one for the US (a delivery box at my office), and a physical Japanese address to my apartment. They reply that they don’t deliver to boxes, or to the entire country of Japan. Whatever, I reply with another address of a reshipping service.
    THEN they tell me that the item is out of stock (each of their replies takes a day or so by the way), and they say they’ll refund instead and ask for an invoice. I go to Amazon.co.jp where I bought it, select the invoice from my order and send them the PDF. Two days later, they say they’re sending the invoice to legal and I’ll get a refund when they’re done, they don’t say why.
    This morning they tell me that legal rejected my invoice and asked me to “resend the final invoice”, whatever the fuck THAT means, and meanwhile my computer has been broken for several weeks and I’m running so motherfucking quickly out of patience. I cannot believe how hard these ratfuckers are fighting me on 450 goddamn dollars. I just want to keep USING THEIR PRODUCT.

Update: I called their support line. They told me the invoice isn't good enough because they need a "proof of purchase". Like what the fuck is an invoice if not proof that I purchased something? What in the fuck, Intel?

godmode on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    stadia actually works great at my place in Canada, the challenge is that the game purchase model is just so much worse than something like GeForce Now that it's impossible to recommend anyone ever purchase a game for the platform

hell of a portable Destiny solution though

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

That's right, boys, mondo cool

Not Lando cool?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wrong thread jfc

Oghulk on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I have a suspicion that certain advertisers on Facebook have some kind of special deal they can pay for, where when you click the ellipses button the ad with the intent to block it, or hide the ad, you only get a spinning wheel icon and the menu won't load. Therefore, in order to block the advertiser, first you have to click through to their page (giving them A Click that they can count as a page view) before you can click the block button.
    Anyway, I'm sick and fucking tired of every other ad being some kickstarter reposting service. I'm blocking a new one every day
    ze0ev7zzfyfz.png

This discussion has been closed.