As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

1222324252628»

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think I overall really like the pacing of EON exploring because it has the gimmick side dungeons as well as dungeons with fewer than 5 full-size floors.
    EON's dungeon NPC/role-play moments are rather weak, though, and that weakness is exacerbated by its incredible length. EO5 is much, much better than EON in this.

EO5's new party mechanics make EON look like a step backward, but EON is still fun enough with the breadth of classes and hilarious breadth of voices/customization options available that it's still a fun game to poke at before bed.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Wonder what the odds of a EO:N Switch port is.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

I'd like to think the devs are busy working on a new game designed for the Switch.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

I'd like to think the devs are busy working on a new game designed for the Switch.

You would, but this is Atlas... if it's going anything like SMT, I wouldn't be too optimistic.

There was that trailer a year or two back about the stage for Etrian Odyssey, but it offered nothing concrete.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tiny team on it building the new technology for the game because the old engine which powered their 3DS games is pretty damn old at this point, and could definitely use an overhaul for the next generation of the games. EO is small enough for Atlus that it's not going to get the lion's share of resources the way Persona will, but produces a thing that they can quietly bank on somewhat reliably. Labyrinth of Refrain was a totally surprising success for NIS, and it certainly represents one kind of next-gen dungeon crawler in terms of its technology and fresh ideas.

Alternatively the next EO is just going to be a mobile game.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Does EON have a lot of EOV-based content?

The opposite, it's got everything BUT V.

To be specific: all of the most interesting new systems from EOV aren't in EON. This includes cooking in the dungeon, character species and species skills, dungeon events that check species skills, the "summon row" so that summoned units don't use regular party slots, Union Skills (which are like Burst Skills but more interesting!), and all of the cool new takes on familiar classes (Dragoon is like Defender but 100x cooler!).

Subclassing being just a specialization of the primary class is contentious, but overall it worked ok. It's certainly not as flexible as freeform choosing another class, but instead works on the idea of doubling down points in unlocked abilities in the primary class and becoming stronger there, rather than gaining strength from putting points into something tangential that you are not allowed to max out.

I was more speaking in terms of content not systems. Like I didn't think there was any dungeon graphics from V?

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Ah, thanks. I was just trying to decide between starting Nexus or continuing my EOV file. I didn't want any further spoilers for V, although I think I already know The Big Twist.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    It’s been a while! Etrian Odyssey Origins was revealed at the Nintendo Direct the other day, and is coming to Steam as well!

Bafflingly, these appear to be HD remakes of the original DS games. No “Untold” plot lines, 3D enemies, any of that, makes most of the package a pass for me. Well, at least there’s an easier way to acquire EO3 now.

https://atlus.com/etrianorigins/index.html?lang=en

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    The news actually reminded me I never did play Nexus. So I started it today.

Are there seriously no tank classes among 20 gorram classes other than the fucking Protectors again, aka the most boring tank in the whole series? No Beasts, Hoplites, Dragoons, whatever? Come on!

Had some trouble deciding on a starter team, but eventually went with a silly little Hero/Protector/Pugilist//Zodiac/Princess for sustain while I remember how to play these games. Did the first boss and stuff, which took a while - I think I need more damage.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hero can function as a tank class, iirc. But yes, protector is the most boring tank, and it's jarring coming from nonsense like Dragoon in V with their bunker bait.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Hero can function as a tank class, iirc. But yes, protector is the most boring tank, and it's jarring coming from nonsense like Dragoon in V with their bunker bait.

I've played enough Etrians to know you generally end up needing a full tank with barriers and taunts unless you have, like a precision-designed team. Hero sounded like a mix, and a mix in these games is rarely enough. So, bloody Protector it is.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited February 2023
    Drascin wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

I've played enough Etrians to know you generally end up needing a full tank with barriers and taunts unless you have, like a precision-designed team. Hero sounded like a mix, and a mix in these games is rarely enough. So, bloody Protector it is.

Fair enough. There's other sources of the taunt (probably the best being Shogun's Great Warrior?), but yeah, protector makes it all easier. I do agree that the class selection is awkward.

Polaritie on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hero is designed to stack everything on top of everything. It can keep up two stacking barriers per turn.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've never played 3, but I've wanted to for a while. Glad to see this series isn't dead like people were expecting it was.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Based on my post history in this thread, I actually went through the whole of EO Nexus without a Protector. (Though I didn't finish everything in the postgame.) A Hero should be enough damage mitigation such that you don't need to bring along a Protector. Seems like a Sovereign can also work with the right party composition, if others' experiences are to be trusted.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Shouldn't need more than a sub-Protector, in any case. Some of the other classes like Harbinger are just tough enough to stand there and take a few hits in the face.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    throughout Nexus my party didn't really have a dedicated anything, ended up with a binds-focused team iirc

lot of sub-healers and passive heals, sub-tanks, buffs or binds on DPS units

Sovereign is just OP as hell in Nexus

I don't think Sovereign has ever been anything other than broken as hell.

Went back to my last abortive run of Nexus and reworked my party to Ronin/Hero/Harbinger//Gunner/Sovereign and cleared the fourth labyrinth.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i had ronin/ronin/pug//gunner/sovereign iirc

leg bind -> helm splitter all day forever until the end of time

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I really should go back and finish nexus at some point. It's just so damn long.

My disappointment with nexus arcanists certainly didn't help, they are a shadow of their EOIV self.

Frozenzen wrote: »
    I really should go back and finish nexus at some point. It's just so damn long.

My disappointment with nexus arcanists certainly didn't help, they are a shadow of their EOIV self.

Yes, thats why I haven't finished Nexus either. So. Many. Floors.