As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Gabekeeping

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Gabekeeping

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Let me know when someone actually makes a good Fallout, like New Vegas :D

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had no idea what dreams was until about midway through the second panel, at first I thought we were going into some weird ayahuasca territory.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I assumed it was the old Sega Saturn game and they added mod support in the rerelease or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'll pass on this version of Fallout, too.

I'm waiting for someone to make it in Dreams, only a Dreams that is remade in Minecraft, which is running on a Lego Mindstorms robot that outputs to an Etch-a-Sketch.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I had no idea what Dreams was...
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/225748/make-anything-make-everything-make-your-dreams-come-true-on-14th-feb-2020#latest

I sometimes wonder if people actually read this forum, whilst browsing this forum. It is rather perplexing... :(

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/225748/make-anything-make-everything-make-your-dreams-come-true-on-14th-feb-2020#latest

I sometimes wonder if people actually read this forum, whilst browsing this forum. It is rather perplexing... :(

To be honest, I spend 99.9% of my time looking at the comments on the comics. I almost never go to the other areas of the forum.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    @Dennis, lol!

@zilla360: To be fair, I don't browse the forum. I interact with these threads entirely through the webpage for each comic. (Which is also why I don't know how to format anything.)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Haha! That zilla360 with the jokes! "Other forums"!
    Ha, there's only the comic thread...

MichaelLC on
  • Options

I do like 95% of my interaction through my bookmarks, and every few days hit the first couple of pages of D&D and SE++ to see if there's anything new and interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And this is why it's a case-by-case thing and you have to ask Gabe every time. ;)

kovuqgbwnwtg.jpg

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    And this is why it's a case-by-case thing and you have to ask Gabe every time. ;)

kovuqgbwnwtg.jpg

This is why we can't have continuity.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The continuity fits: I think I've established the pattern

IF Gabe did it THEN fundamentally noble ELSE nope

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »

kovuqgbwnwtg.jpg

This is why we can't have continuity.

It's because, like all great creators, they haven't memorized their creation nearly as thoroughly as their fans have. :)

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular

I'm waiting for someone to make it in Dreams, only a Dreams that is remade in Minecraft, which is running on a Lego Mindstorms robot that outputs to an Etch-a-Sketch.

Then it turns out we're 10^10x15 simulations deep in a matrioshka brain. You'd think if the universe was a simulation the people running it would make a better simulation. Why can't they make the universe operate off D&D rules instead the dumb boring bullshit we got now?

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I actually don't think this represents any loss of continuity. Doing a study of a masterpiece in a different medium, I assume just for fun or homage, isn't exactly analogous to recreating a weaker version of a game to test out whether or not you can (probably also for fun).

And last but not least, Gabe never, at any point, says that the recreation of Haystacks is a noble pursuit. He just seems to be saying it's worth it to him, on a personal level. Gabe's reaction to the fact that Tycho's children may never have eaten a pizza roll show that he personally values a lot of things that one might call frivolous.

Also, you know, people and characters can change their minds over the course of seven years. That's a thing.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

That checks out.
    z06opkwjpdhy.jpg

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    The newspost references Sand, and now I'm super hoping we see another set of side comics in that universe.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

To be honest, I spend 99.9% of my time looking at the comments on the comics. I almost never go to the other areas of the forum.
    I spend most of my time in D&D.

• Options

Also Gabe is famously more approving of visual art than other media.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zomagic wrote: »
    Also, you know, people and characters can change their minds over the course of seven years. That's a thing.

Nonsense. As an outrage culture, it is our solemn duty to resurrect things people said from years in the past and throw it in their faces when they have the audacity to act like they've grown or changed. If it utterly destroys their life, all the better.

(P.S. I'm being sarcastic.)

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Chances are it'll be available first as a mod for the Skyrim that Bethesda officially releases in that version of Dreams.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »

Then it turns out we're 10^10x15 simulations deep in a matrioshka brain. You'd think if the universe was a simulation the people running it would make a better simulation. Why can't they make the universe operate off D&D rules instead the dumb boring bullshit we got now?

A universe where Rule of Cool exists would be great.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »

tl;dr we have a crappy DM

• Options
    SilkBotSilkBot Registered User regular
    It would be interesting, but first they'd have to recreate Dreams in Windows/Linux for me to start caring.

• Options
    Train DodgerTrain Dodger Registered User regular
    I know about LBP, but I can't believe I'd only barely heard of Dreams before. After playing that FO4 remake in it, I am honestly stunned. It's like someone looked at ZBrush and said "let's make this a game... with the ability to make your own tracker music... and with physics, and logic, and an animated timeline, and basically everything you'd have in Unity or UE4 but in condensed and simplified form". Literally anyone could make kickass models, animations, and games with it. It's not even a game. It's a full-fledged tool. Amazing.