As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Crash was awful and they've put up black screens around car as they try to get him out (very bad sign). Hoping he makes it.

Slow motion view.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It was the second impact that was scary. Hitting the wall and going over is one thing, but then having another car impact the drivers side at full speed is the real scary part.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    JFC. Everything crossed for him.

• Options
    Update: He has been removed from car and taken to hospital. No word on condition but a Penske crew member said he was awake.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That's actually great news, because generally with no status updates and the black screens it's not good...but if he's awake that's extremely positive.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the t-bone impact at 200 mph while his car is inverted that causes the entire frame of the car to flex is not exactly what can be expected of the safety features to be able to handle.

I hope he’s okay. I heard one rumor type that said he was awake but that’s not confirmed or even necessarily a sign of him being okay long term.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's a season of T-bone accidents beyond what safety features can handle. Hubert was the same.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

There is one crash I can think off that was worse, Geoff Bodine in the truck series in 2000. I was 15 and ditched school to watch the race live (Trucks ran Friday at noon) and watched it live as it happened.
    He somehow survived it, and after recovering came back to race again.
    If you watch the replays closely, you can see Geoff's helmet bounce off the pavement.

https://youtu.be/vmT3gQQdJm4

Hopefully Newman is able to do the same.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Had to link this pic of the second impact here because holy shit that is an insane shot.

Edit: Link fixed!

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Had to link this pic of the second impact here because holy shit that is an insane shot.

Broken link (missing colon after https). Fixed one: https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/ryan-newman-driver-of-the-koch-industries-ford-flips-over-as-he-the-picture-id1206963385?s=2048x2048

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Darklyre wrote: »

Broken link (missing colon after https). Fixed one: https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/ryan-newman-driver-of-the-koch-industries-ford-flips-over-as-he-the-picture-id1206963385?s=2048x2048

Part of me wants to awesome that because bloody hell that's a photo

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Day 1 of testing! Williams actually showed up with a car on time, and it isn't horribly off the pace!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    geez I am so disconnected from F1 at the moment i didn't even realize we're in testing season... in my head, reveals haven't been done yet

i got my hopes up last season, and I thought it was probably the worst season since I started watching.. worse even than the Vettel years...

so i guess we can only go up!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
  • Options
    Have they said what his injuries are yet?

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I caught the end of daytona when that accident happened. And the last 12 laps +ot looked more like bar closing time than a race. People just intentionally raming other cars causing accident after accident. Its less who is fastest but who got a bit lucky out of the last dozen cars still capable of moving.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

He's been treated and released. I can't believe he's walking!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Truly remarkable. :+1:

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    I caught the end of daytona when that accident happened. And the last 12 laps +ot looked more like bar closing time than a race. People just intentionally raming other cars causing accident after accident. Its less who is fastest but who got a bit lucky out of the last dozen cars still capable of moving.

Daytona still relys on drafting strategies, so much of that wasn't so much deliberately ramming as it was trying to optimize speed on that particular row and push the lead car.

Which carries a lot of risk in the best of conditions, but is a recipe for disaster at the tail end of races when cars and drivers are worn out and everyone is hungry to get ahead of the other guy at the end.

• Options
    In lighter news the Alpha is a really pretty car

ERISaYGWkAAz4JW?format=jpg

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    What happened to Giovinazzi's hair?!?!?!?!!?

EDIT: Never mind, just watched the video, it's still there.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Kimi without sunglasses on? That's a rare thing to see.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Daytona still relys on drafting strategies, so much of that wasn't so much deliberately ramming as it was trying to optimize speed on that particular row and push the lead car.

Which carries a lot of risk in the best of conditions, but is a recipe for disaster at the tail end of races when cars and drivers are worn out and everyone is hungry to get ahead of the other guy at the end.

I understand drifting but most of the "drifting" I saw was making clear physical contact with the lead car as they were reacting to the impacts. Between those and what clearly were intentional side impacts its more of a demolition derby than a race. It looked like everybody was just so aggressive that they were just yolo'ing regardless of the cost and allowing that to go on is going to get people killed.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Kimi without sunglasses on? That's a rare thing to see.

There's a simple explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6qBnykH0DU

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    ERISaYGWkAAz4JW?format=jpg

*puts on pedant hat*

That's the Alfa. The Alpha is this one:

skysports-alphatauri-f1-2020_4920360.jpg?20200214194546

Yeah, it's gonna get confusing :wink:

- - -

That is phenomenal news about Ryan Newman. :+1:

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I understand drifting but most of the "drifting" I saw was making clear physical contact with the lead car as they were reacting to the impacts. Between those and what clearly were intentional side impacts its more of a demolition derby than a race. It looked like everybody was just so aggressive that they were just yolo'ing regardless of the cost and allowing that to go on is going to get people killed.

Sorry @kaid but they said drafting, not drifting. Drafting is about getting into the wake of the car that's punching a hole in the air ahead of you, so you get better speed for less effort. Sometimes it's strategic to not want to overtake the first car with that extra speed, so you nudge the rear bumper of the lead car. Rubbin' is racin', and all that. You can also draft lead cars by being reeeeally close to their sides when overtaking. Understandably it's really hard not to make side-contact with the lead car when you're >200mph going around a banked corner and literally getting sucked into the side of them. Not making contact would be tricky business in best conditions, and a damn near Herculean task at the end of a long race

edit: and hats-off again to modern safety devices holy smokes. Bit of luck has gone into that quick recovery, sure, but I'm still putting 99% of the reason he's able to even be in a hospital to walk out of to all the racing engineers behind the scenes over the many decades and across many racing series who've working towards getting us to this point.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Theyve tried many things over the years but given it's a restrictor plate track drafting is just how it is

Unless a pack of 220mph cars is some how safer on Daytona it might be I dunno but it'd also be insane

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    [img][/img]

*puts on pedant hat*

[img][/img]

- - -

A very cunning move by Torro Rosso to change their name to something that's not easily confused/overlaps with another team

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    [img][/img]

*puts on pedant hat*

[img][/img]

- - -

A very cunning move by Torro Rosso to change their name to something that's not easily confused/overlaps with another team

As the thread title used to say, it's the new Lotus vs Lotus.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Theyve tried many things over the years but given it's a restrictor plate track drafting is just how it is

Unless a pack of 220mph cars is some how safer on Daytona it might be I dunno but it'd also be insane

Watch the 2010 and 2011 (I think? Search for 'tandem drafting' on youtube to see it) Daytona/Talladega races to get an idea of what the racing might be like without the restrictor plates. Those were the first couple years where the cars front and rear bumpers lined up perfectly so a rear car could push the car in front all the way around the track. They'd make it around the track about two times before the rear car started to overheat, so they'd swap spots and then start the pushing again. Ultimately the fans hated it because of how spread out the field got, and the drivers/teams hated it because it required cooperation to an insane degree to compete, so NASCAR made it a rule that they couldn't push at all, but that was impossible to enforce (where is the line between an extended bump and a push? Was it the driver in front that trail braked, or driver behind that got a good run?), so they now let drivers push on the straights but not in the corners.

For the first 450 miles drivers are extremely courteous and will give way and willingly drop back instead of blocking the driver behind with a great run. The last 50 miles though? No one gives a single inch to anyone else, and if you're in the lead it's either block and win or don't block and lose. It's rather obvious which choice a driver will make in that moment

Veevee on
  • Options
    Hot Tip: F1 TV yearly subscriptions are 25% with the code EARLYBIRD25

~$60 for live races, and ~$20 for replays 2 days after the race and the other shows on F1 TV

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    yeah ive seen em its a pretty interesting conundrum and limited by how safe a oval track can be, for all Nascars fault's they really do take safety seriously since Earnhardt died. Indycar FINALLY put a wind shield in after losing so many drivers dies pointlessly because oval crashes destroy cars in incredible ways

you made me youtube and this was a video that kinda explains the whole thing I guess?

https://youtu.be/7e_uW0GLsQ4

Superspeedways are also well theres only two of em thank god the racing isnt this bumpy at the other 2 miles

Short track racing? hooo boy smashing and bashing Bristol ain't the insanity it used to be but Martinsville is easily hands down always some of the best racing you'll see every year, even if you hate oval racing

oh put F1 on the Charlotte Roval if they never go back to indy please and thank you

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Mercedes have got a new system for trimming the camber of the front tyres on the fly, pulling and pushing the steering wheel/column: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-insight-have-mercedes-just-changed-the-game-with-new-steering-wheel.78KDOPX7xRy9YtaFZPCKC4.html

I'm sure we'll get "is it legal" challenges in about five minutes.

• Options
    "Hey wow with no technical changes hopefully things will tighten up between the teams!"

Mercedes: "When the driver pulls on the steering wheel, it straightens the wheels out so the car can go faster!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    "Hey wow with no technical changes hopefully things will tighten up between the teams!"

Mercedes: "When the driver pulls on the steering wheel, it straightens the wheels out so the car can go faster!"

Dynamic toe-in, toe-out what the...?

Like, how is that not forbidden under Parc Fermé?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Hot Tip: F1 TV yearly subscriptions are 25% with the code EARLYBIRD25

~$60 for live races, and ~$20 for replays 2 days after the race and the other shows on F1 TV

I really, really, REALLY want to punch F1 sometimes:
    For a limited time only, new subscribers can save 25% on an annual F1 TV Subscription with Code EARLYBIRD25 *Offer valid for web orders until February 28th 2020 (not available to Canada region)

• Options
    So. Many. NASCAR. Wrecks.

Racing and Rally Crash Compilation 2020 Week 248 including Dirt Rally Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QyVOaqdQQ

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The Merc system certainly has people talking anyway. Honestly, I somewhat expect it to be banned. I've seen systems banned for less over the years, and the FIA's interpretation can change on a whim (or to whatever suits them at the time).

I would have some immediate questions about the system itself though. How safe is a moving steering column, particularly in a crash? Does the system fail-safe? What happens if it fails anyway, for example mid corner? On the performance side of things, how much benefit does it actually give? I imagine it's significant enough if Merc have gone ahead with it, but also fairly useless on tracks like Monaco where it's nearly all corners. Likewise I wonder how it's configured. I'd assume it's pre-set values at the start and end otherwise it would be very awkward to manage.

This discussion has been closed.