As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Price is increased with the number and type of ports, addition of integrated wifi, and number of M2 slots primarily. The other features are pretty much standard across the board. For example, I was trying to tell the difference between Aorus Pro and Master or whatever, and the only difference was that the higher-priced version had a USB-C port instead of one of the standard USB3.0As. You can also get boards with PS2 and USB2.0 only if you're looking for a bargain.
    What I usually do is go on Newegg, filter for the size and processor slot (ATX, LGA-1151(300 Series)), then sort results by Best Rating and find something I'm okay paying for in the list.
    Then I take the product name and buy it somewhere else because Newegg's shipping policy isn't great.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My gigabyte b450 board was ready for Ryzen but it only had the update right after release.

Updating the Bios to the most current shaved like 6s off the pre-Post boot time.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Sanity check, and also has anyone tried a dual monitor set-up with a 3400G?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kbMXV7

Edit: Trying to keep wiring to a minimum, as well as have this PC sneak under a desk, hence the form factor.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Ah dammit. Right. I forgot you can't really expand a partition backwards.

You might remember what I did to get my computer to work was simply make a new aprtition and install windows 10 there, and slowly carry over various data on free moments. Now I'm done, and so I wanted to see about deleting the Win 7 partition and giving 10 the full hard drive. But of course, the Win 10 partition is at the bottom of the disc, and you can't just extend a partition backwards the way you can forwards. Dammit. Does anyone know if there's a tool that will let me do this, taking into account that, well, all the system files are in this thing?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Edit: Trying to keep wiring to a minimum, as well as have this PC sneak under a desk, hence the form factor.

What are you planning to use this build for? Just general productivity stuff? No gaming?

I would be tempted to throw $20-30 to get a 500GB SSD.

I also would avoid that case, it apparently has absolutely horrible thermals. I have heard decent things about this case: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Yn7CmG/thermaltake-case-ca1d400s1nn00

steam_sig.png
    Well, this is weird. So while I was backupping and doing all the other stuff, I noticed for some reason the system seems to be actually booting from the old platter hdd where windows was never installed, and THEN letting the windows in the SSD do its thing. For some reason despite the platter drive being in port 4 it's read at disc 0 by windows, and if I remove it or make it inactive windows no longer finds any OS. I think the boot record may have ended up in the old hdd when I installed windows for some godforsaken reason?

Like, look at the disk config screen:

y2o0nfgd5uyg.png

That disc 0 is in SATA 4 but there it is, first in line, and if I set boot priority to SSD the system stops booting. How bloody weird.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    tsmvengy wrote: »

What are you planning to use this build for? Just general productivity stuff? No gaming?

I also would avoid that case, it apparently has absolutely horrible thermals. I have heard decent things about this case: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Yn7CmG/thermaltake-case-ca1d400s1nn00

Ya, 100% productivity, zero gaming, and I'm trying for clean hence the NVMe. We're currently on 256GB, and only using about half, but I'll look around to see if there's a decent NVMe drive for under a hundred bucks, but I'm kind of pushing the budget right now and I don't even have a GPU :biggrin:

Also, I picked the case in question because of the magnetic screens on the front and top. Figured the H50 would be efficient enough at cooling as I'm not relying on a lot of airflow to keep the CPU cool.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, this is weird. So while I was backupping and doing all the other stuff, I noticed for some reason the system seems to be actually booting from the old platter hdd where windows was never installed, and THEN letting the windows in the SSD do its thing. For some reason despite the platter drive being in port 4 it's read at disc 0 by windows, and if I remove it or make it inactive windows no longer finds any OS. I think the boot record may have ended up in the old hdd when I installed windows for some godforsaken reason?

Like, look at the disk config screen:

y2o0nfgd5uyg.png

That disc 0 is in SATA 4 but there it is, first in line, and if I set boot priority to SSD the system stops booting. How bloody weird.

See if Macrium Reflect can help you get the partitions figured out.

Be advised you'll probably need to do a clean Win10 install *somewhere* and port over stuff. My guess is the boot record was written to the spinner during your Win7 install(?) or possibly Win10 used the spinner because it couldn't find space anywhere else during install. Also weird things just happen.

If/when you install Win10 again, make sure the spinner is unplugged from SATA - and you may need to delete the MBR from that spinner if you can find it.

Someone correct me here, but I believe if you disconnect the spinner and run a Win10 repair, it can write the boot record to the proper drive.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    This started in the Windows 8.x days but in Windows 10 became much more of a thing, if you install windows on a computer with multiple internal storage devices connected it actually will try to spread out some of the "parts" of windows, this is supposed to be for performance but ends up being a massive pain in the ass, especailly if you're changing out data drives at any point.

Like, Windows will put the boot file on one drive, the page file on another, etc. It's awful.

I've taken to just making sure I only have one drive plugged in when I do a windows install.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Price is increased with the number and type of ports, addition of integrated wifi, and number of M2 slots primarily. The other features are pretty much standard across the board. For example, I was trying to tell the difference between Aorus Pro and Master or whatever, and the only difference was that the higher-priced version had a USB-C port instead of one of the standard USB3.0As. You can also get boards with PS2 and USB2.0 only if you're looking for a bargain.
    What I usually do is go on Newegg, filter for the size and processor slot (ATX, LGA-1151(300 Series)), then sort results by Best Rating and find something I'm okay paying for in the list.
    Then I take the product name and buy it somewhere else because Newegg's shipping policy isn't great.

There's also pcie 4 support, which is mostly a gimmick right now, but if you're concerned with future proofing....

steam_sig.png
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Lawndart wrote: »
    So I'm finally getting around to thinking about building a new PC, and I'm set with most of my choices except for two.

First, video card. I'm debating between the 2080 Super and the 2080 Ti. I'm wondering if the extra VRAM in the Ti will make any difference not now, but several years from now. I'm not 4K gaming yet, and probably not in the near-ish future, but I am looking for a solid VR card.

Second, what the heck should I be looking for in a motherboard, other than a socket that matches my CPU and a form factor that fits in a case? I am looking for a plethora of USB ports, but other than that I'm at a loss as to what differentiates a $150 mobo from a $300 one. I'm not on a tight budget, but I'm not sure what, other than needless RGB nonsense, I'd get from a fancier mobo.

@Lawndart For the first part, unless your sitting on GC's that expire, I'd hold off. Obviously there's the "something better is always coming" line. But GTC is next month and Nvidia will be showing their new cards with possible release. Since your looking at high end cards already, it's probably worth waiting at least 1 month. Even if you decide you don't need the newer cards, it should reduce the pricing for 2080Ti and Super.

For the 2nd part, I can't help much. Bought my Z77 back in 2012 and it's still going strong. But if the trends are the same as back then, some is cosmetic, you're paying for something to look nice in a windowed case. But some stuff to look at would be on board audio, NIC, how many PCI-E slots, and quality of components like phase configuration (only really useful for heavy overclocking). If you just want to plop a CPU in and call it good, you should be able to just find a well reviewed mid-tier board and be fine.

EDIT: seems others have helped with #2.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

ah sheeyit, was looking at case options to replace this R5, and I guess I can stop looking now

edited February 2020
    wunderbar wrote: »
    This started in the Windows 8.x days but in Windows 10 became much more of a thing, if you install windows on a computer with multiple internal storage devices connected it actually will try to spread out some of the "parts" of windows, this is supposed to be for performance but ends up being a massive pain in the ass, especailly if you're changing out data drives at any point.

Like, Windows will put the boot file on one drive, the page file on another, etc. It's awful.

I've taken to just making sure I only have one drive plugged in when I do a windows install.

Man, that's some bullshit. But it does explain that, since the drive was there when I installed Win 10. Wish I'd known to just unplug every other drive.

Either way, I did fix the C partition, and honestly I don't think I give enough of a fuck about the double HDD boot thing to go diving into the boot record and all that jazz. It just bothers me, but let's not mess with things that might bork the entire installation in the middle of the school year.

Drascin on
    tsmvengy wrote: »

You know what? This GN review of the larger (but same tooling) Q500L has turned me off this case. Also, re-looking made me realize i didn't have a PSU quoted lol. Switching cases, slightly cheaper air cooler, and bumping up the NVMe to 500 GB. TY thread, I'll post some pics once they're together.

So now that I have a 3800X, should I be trying to overclock it? After the experience I had with Ryzen Master with my other board, I'm a bit anxious about using it again. However I feel like I've wasted money if I don't give this thing even a mild overclock.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    From what I remember at launch they binned these things pretty tight.

IIRC, the "golden" chips are getting +300 and most are getting +100.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Man, that's some bullshit. But it does explain that, since the drive was there when I installed Win 10. Wish I'd known to just unplug every other drive.

Either way, I did fix the C partition, and honestly I don't think I give enough of a fuck about the double HDD boot thing to go diving into the boot record and all that jazz. It just bothers me, but let's not mess with things that might bork the entire installation in the middle of the school year.

On the bright side, I think a working solution of this--if you can boot into Windows anyway--is an in-place installation with just one drive accessible. That will basically force Windows 10 to install all of "itself" on the one drive.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    @Drascin did you install Windows 10 somewhere yet?
    Synthesis wrote: »

On the bright side, I think a working solution of this--if you can boot into Windows anyway--is an in-place installation with just one drive accessible. That will basically force Windows 10 to install all of "itself" on the one drive.

I'm pretty sure you can use the install media to fix it
    https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300987/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Well this'll be fun. Trying to test the board and all I get is an unhelpful flash of a bunch of lights for a split second before it all goes dark. No fans spin up, either on the power supply (which does spin up with the dummy tester they included) nor the cooler ones.

https://youtu.be/TguLk5lqOAM

Did some googling around to try and find what other people had problems with. Sticky thermal paste bent some pins when removing the cooler? I had that happen, check the CPU, nah it's fine. Oh, I should probably have the CPU plugged in. Do that, same thing. 3800 won't post because it doesn't have integrated graphics, alright let's try it again with the GPU in. Nope. Anyone know where I can go from here?

Edit: Here's the post with the hardware I'm working with: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42149446/#Comment_42149446

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I HATE that AMD don't put a cpu retainer thingy like Intel. I'm REALLY ANGRY about it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Testing Round 2: Took everything off bar one ram stick put into another slot and my NVME SSD just to see if I could get the mobo to post by itself, because I think that's a thing it's supposed to be able to do? Nada. Not sure if I need to fly right into a bios flash (it's got a q-flash port that apparently can do it semi-automatically), if it's DOA, or I'm continually missing something dumb.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Try it without the drive. You should still be able to get things to spin up.

I'll check that video in the morning.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Well this'll be fun. Trying to test the board and all I get is an unhelpful flash of a bunch of lights for a split second before it all goes dark. No fans spin up, either on the power supply (which does spin up with the dummy tester they included) nor the cooler ones.

Did some googling around to try and find what other people had problems with. Sticky thermal paste bent some pins when removing the cooler? I had that happen, check the CPU, nah it's fine. Oh, I should probably have the CPU plugged in. Do that, same thing. 3800 won't post because it doesn't have integrated graphics, alright let's try it again with the GPU in. Nope. Anyone know where I can go from here?

Edit: Here's the post with the hardware I'm working with: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42149446/#Comment_42149446

I’ve had that happen to me twice before. 1st time it was the gpu, board refused to even turn on with it in the slot; took me a long time to figure this one out, I even built a completely new machine. GPU was completely dead, and the rest of the machine was fine; I put a new GPU in it and gave it to my dad.

2nd time was a few months ago, and it was a completely dead motherboard. I would guess that you have some issue similar to this here. You could maybe try a BIOS flash if it has flashback. You might have to RMA the board otherwise.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular

Reseat all the things. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM.

Sweeping assumptions: my (returned) Gigabyte board needed a number of BIOS updates. Granted it was a B450 board back in July, when the 3xxx CPUs were coming out.

That being said, you can't update the board if it laughs at you as soon as you give it power.

Shot in the dark: try the stock cooler first

Wait wait wait wait wait wait

Why do these eureka moments only come in the shower?

@The Escape Goat in that video, all you did was turn on the power switch on the back of the PSU. You need to use the blade of a flat head screwdriver to short the pins for the power switch if you want it to fire up.

(It's not really a short; you're just using the screwdriver to mimic the power switch. It doesn't hurt the board or the PSU)

Pulled about 2 cubic inches of fluff out of the CPU heatsink

Unrelated: CPU is running about 14C cooler now

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Instructions unclear. CPU is now barking uncontrollably.

LD50 wrote: »

Instructions unclear. CPU is now barking uncontrollably.

Pull more fluff.

Keep pulling fluff.

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

It does that at least since Windows Vista and I hate it. It’s more like the first HD which is reported by the BIOS / UEFI gets the boot loader, EFI partition and maybe the recovery partition, the HD you select gets the system folder. (edit: I think every NT based Windows offloads it’s bootloader to the first drive which the system reports). I think it’s done to avoid having the user switch boot order in the BIOS. On modern systems this shouldn’t be necessary anyway because the Windows UEFI Boot loader is picked up automatically and booted from
    by default. Why can’t the setup work like most Linux Desktop setups? Punch in the details I want before the install, and when I come back it’s done, while not touching other data volumes present in the system.

Dratatoo on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Reseat all the things. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM.

Do that and check the manual if there is a specified slot for 1 module operation. I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and it wouldn’t post if I put the module anywhere else, with the BIOS/UEFI it shipped with.
    godmode wrote: »

The other thing to keep in mind are the power phases (and the cooling solution for this) on the board which mean your ability to put in a beast like the ryzen 3900x at a later date and run it stable.

Dratatoo on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Guys i got a different case instead

p7pcu9xlgsim.png

I have this case. It was nice to build in with the exception of the PSU cage and the way that bar interacted with my mobo. The power connections and sata ports on my board where right by the bar so it made for awkward cable routing but that is likely board dependent.

the psu was hard to plug in and run since my cables were not super long

camo_sig.png
    Guys! The parts came!
    anl96555p353.jpg

Guys! The CPU seal arrived broken!
    3p08e80cnh6q.jpg

Guys! Some asshole returned this CPU with bent pins!
    ip6yrpeie91c.jpg

Le sigh

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Hope the returns process goes well for you!

At least the rest of it looks nice

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    ah that sucks dude, hopefully they return it no issue.

On another note, anyone believing those nvidia rumors on ampere that the random twitter account came out with?

https://twitter.com/CorgiKitty

Dixon on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Oh man that fucking sucks. You should make the seller advance rma your replacement.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh man that fucking sucks. You should get an advance RMA for the replacement if the seller gives a shit, which they may.

Fix'd. You shouldn't end up waiting a week (or more) because of one bent pin, but that is literally part of the game unfortunately.

Thanks for the diag advice all, btw. I tried most of what's offered and got nothing, so tomorrow I'm gonna hop by best buy and grab a fresh mobo/power supply just to sanity test everything. I looked at user reviews for the MSI x570 board they have and someone specifically called it out as being much easier to work with than the Aorus, so maybe that'll be something.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh man that fucking sucks. You should get an advance RMA for the replacement if the seller gives a shit, which they may.

Fix'd. You shouldn't end up waiting a week (or more) because of one bent pin, but that is literally part of the game unfortunately.

Yep, bought all the parts through Memory Express and Amazon (CPU came from Amazon). Should have the replacement here by Wednesday.

I did order two of each part though, because I'm building two machines so I was able to get one basically together. It's very easy to get the back panel on when there's only a single CPU cable and 24 Pin to manage.

yql7thrrnqot.jpg

BouwsT on
This discussion has been closed.